Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Went through a fun fitting this afternoon. Some VERY interesting information and data. Will share this evening. I’m apparently Somewhat of an anomaly of sorts.
That's not always a bad thing! Looking forward to seeing the results.

I play my standard at 45" with a Diamana ZF 60tx. Came with a 5 gram weight and replaced with a 10 gram. head weight is now 197 and feels awesome. Hit some of the new Bridgestone B XS balls last night and feel is 10/10.

I bet it wouldn’t matter as much as you think it would. ;)
Just seems to me that if someone buys a club with a heavy emphases on how it looks, And I’m guilty of this, that a color-way that is more Neutral like black would appeal to more.

Sort of the... when you sell a house you paint all the rooms neutral sort of thinking.

This afternoon I went for a driver "tour van" fitting at the PGA Super Store.

Bit O bout me, perhaps to help set some stage and in case it give others some frame of reference for my results. Live in NY. Currently my game is quite rusty , haven't hit balls much over the winter and have not played since early November. I'm a single digit capper (in season), played in high school/college. I tend to hit a draw with all clubs except for the driver. I tend to work the driver a bit more than any other club. I tend to struggle with consistency with my driver, so the fade has helped me a bit there.

Some notes from the fitting today:
  • They had a GC Quad monitor which was great, as I thought it was going to be a lower end monitor. I understand the GC quad is one of the best (if not, the).
  • I played golf today with my father, so I was mostly already warm. During my round, I didn't drive the ball particularly well and my miss was a push-cut right.
  • We used the ball I would typically play - ProV1
  • Hitting in a bay is unique and I nearly whiffed my first swing. After the first one, I was good.
  • I started by hitting my own driver. I was left to warm up with it and it was fun to "see the numbers" which I don't often get to see. TBH, I didn't have a feel for what my numbers might be. I rarely do fittings, I just fit myself and buy a lot of clubs (for research of course!)
  • First thing I noticed was my launch was up to about 14/15 degrees yet my spin was sub 2k!
  • My swing speed is apparently around 110-113 mph, with ball speeds (with my driver) at about 154 mph.
  • My AoA really surprised me.....I was averaging plus 6 and 7 degrees.

• Side bar: If you were a fitter, what would you do with me? I'm launching VERY high. Have a very positive attack angle. Reasonable speed. And VERY low spin.

• We started off hitting the Ping lineup, since the club I have here is a G400Max w/Aldila Rogue black 7X.
  • Tried the Ping LST and Plus model. I had pretty good results with both, with the plus edging out lst. We tried a number of shafts but nothing quite wowed. Similar type numbers to my driver, but a bit more speed around 156 ball speed type range. I have an LST at home, so will be interested to try and set that up based on info below. My low spin averages continued. I really struggled to get anything to 2k or above.
  • We didn't hit the SIM line, because the fitter figured my spin is already too low. I didn't mind, as I set this up more for a bit of fun than anything. Although,.....I did book a follow up with him on Friday....so will be trying the new Mizuno, Cobra and perhaps the SIM Max then.

• He then grabbed the Mavrik line and I was VERY curious to see how I would get on with the std and SZ heads. This is where it gets interesting.....
  • We started with the standard Mavrik head and I was pumped to see how this would pan out. My club head speed jumped from 111 to 113 on my first swing.....BUUUUT.... if you can believe this, my spin was 700rpms! Ha! And these were good strikes! We looked at the strike areas and they were solid, speed was great, launch was great. WTF!!!! I could only laugh and I don't recall him explaining what we were seeing. This went on for about 5 hits. I was gob smacked. I thought this would be a home run for me. The crazy part here was I felt I was hitting the std head well and felt comfortable with the club, but you should have seen the balls just dive into the ground at around the 175 yard mark.
  • We tried 60g shafts and 70g shafts and I was quite surprised to see how less consistent I am with the lighter weight shafts. I seem to react fairly well to more weight. I was also surprised to find that X shafts with lower torque seemed to work well for me.
  • I then turned to him and said....I know this may not seem to make sense given what we are seeing here, but I'd like to try the SubZero head. I then told him about how I had success with the EF SZ TripDiamond head last year in 10.5. He looked at me crooked, but humored me and setup the club.
  • He set me up with the Mavrik SZ 10.5 with an AD BB 7X shaft and we were getting some really nice numbers and I could see we were close to something. The club feel/sound is fantastic and I enjoyed the setup. We then moved to an old Diamana White board in 7X and boom, ball speeds jumped and I actually managed 160+ a few times. My little side goal was to break 160 mph ball speed, so that was fun.
  • He then setup the SZ with an Oban Hishimoto 65g 05 flex shaft and it felt kind of similar to the Diamana, but smoother and easier. I don't know much about this shaft, but it was pretty good.
  • I hit probably 60 balls or more. Hoping my back survives the next few days!
I've said quite a bit here, so I'll stop and try and follow up again on Friday after round two.

I think the moral of the story here may be this.....if you really want a driver that fits YOU......GET FIT!!!!!! Additionally, I'd say try everything with an open mind. You might be surprised. Quite a few things surprised me today.

I knew anecdotally I was low spin with the driver, but I didn't think it was this low. I plan to work on making my attack angles more negative to pick up some more spin. My swing is not mid season type form and I certainly have work to do.
Looking forward to a round two on Friday to try some more sticks. The fitter is also going to trim the Diamana shaft so it plays to 45" like my driver. He thinks the SZ DWhite combo was the winner for me and he wants to see how I'd do with it in my typical playing length. I had good fun and wasn't taking it too seriously, just wanted to try out the new 2020 drivers to see what they offer, also learn a few things about my current swing.

Below are the Cally SZ numbers I was getting towards the very end of the session.

PS: This post isn't specifically about the Mavrik line, so if the mods would like me to move this post, I'm happy to do so.

493BFD38-E76D-451C-BAF2-FD42DF70AF79.jpeg

Bit O bout me, perhaps to help set some stage and in case it give others some frame of reference for my results. Live in NY. Currently my game is quite rusty , haven't hit balls much over the winter and have not played since early November. I'm a single digit capper (in season), played in high school/college. I tend to hit a draw with all clubs except for the driver. I tend to work the driver a bit more than any other club. I tend to struggle with consistency with my driver, so the fade has helped me a bit there.

• They had a GC Quad monitor which was great, as I thought it was going to be a lower end monitor. I understand the GC quad is one of the best (if not, the).
  • I played golf today with my father, so I was mostly already warm. During my round, I didn't drive the ball particularly well and my miss was a push-cut right.
  • Hitting in a bay is unique and I nearly whiffed my first swing. After the first one, I was good.
  • I started by hitting my own driver. I was left to warm up with it and it was fun to "see the numbers" which I don't often get to see. TBH, I didn't have a feel for what my numbers might be. I rarely do fittings, I just fit myself and buy a lot of clubs (for research of course!)
  • First thing I noticed was my launch was up to about 14/15 degrees yet my spin was sub 2k!
  • My swing speed is apparently around 110-113 mph, with ball speeds (with my driver) at about 154 mph.

• Side bar: If you were a fitter, what would you do with me? I'm launching VERY high. Have a very positive attack angle. Reasonable speed. And VERY low spin.

• We started off hitting the Ping lineup, since the club I have here is a G400Max w/Aldila Rogue black 7X.
  • Tried the Ping LST and Plus model. I had pretty good results with both, with the plus edging out lst. We tried a number of shafts but nothing quite wowed. Similar type numbers to my driver, but a bit more speed around 156 ball speed type range. I have an LST at home, so will be interested to try and set that up based on info below. My low spin averages continued. I really struggled to get anything to 2k or above.
  • We didn't hit the SIM line, because the fitter figured my spin is already too low. I didn't mind, as I set this up more for a bit of fun than anything. Although,.....I did book a follow up with him on Friday....so will be trying the new Mizuno, Cobra and perhaps the SIM Max then.

• He then grabbed the Mavrik line and I was VERY curious to see how I would get on with the std and SZ heads. This is where it gets interesting.....
  • We started with the standard Mavrik head and I was pumped to see how this would pan out. My club head speed jumped from 111 to 113 on my first swing.....BUUUUT.... if you can believe this, my spin was 700rpms! Ha! And these were good strikes! We looked at the strike areas and they were solid, speed was great, launch was great. WTF!!!! I could only laugh and I don't recall him explaining what we were seeing. This went on for about 5 hits. I was gob smacked. I thought this would be a home run for me. The crazy part here was I felt I was hitting the std head well and felt comfortable with the club, but you should have seen the balls just dive into the ground at around the 175 yard mark.
  • We tried 60g shafts and 70g shafts and I was quite surprised to see how less consistent I am with the lighter weight shafts. I seem to react fairly well to more weight. I was also surprised to find that X shafts with lower torque seemed to work well for me.
  • I then turned to him and said....I know this may not seem to make sense given what we are seeing here, but I'd like to try the SubZero head. I then told him about how I had success with the EF SZ TripDiamond head last year in 10.5. He looked at me crooked, but humored me and setup the club.
  • He set me up with the Mavrik SZ 10.5 with an AD BB 7X shaft and we were getting some really nice numbers and I could see we were close to something. The club feel/sound is fantastic and I enjoyed the setup. We then moved to an old Diamana White board in 7X and boom, ball speeds jumped and I actually managed 160+ a few times. My little side goal was to break 160 mph ball speed, so that was fun.
  • He then setup the SZ with an Oban Hishimoto 65g 05 flex shaft and it felt kind of similar to the Diamana, but smoother and easier. I don't know much about this shaft, but it was pretty good.
I've said quite a bit here, so I'll stop and try and follow up again on Friday after round two.

I think the moral of the story here may be this.....if you really want a driver that fits YOU......GET FIT!!!!!! Additionally, I'd say try everything with an open mind. You might be surprised. Quite a few things surprised me today.

I knew anecdotally I was low spin with the driver, but I didn't think it was this low. I plan to work on making my attack angles more negative to pick up some more spin.
Looking forward to a round two on Friday to try some more sticks. The fitter is also going to trim the Diamana shaft so it plays to 45" like my driver. He thinks the SZ DWhite combo was the winner for me and he wants to see how I'd do with it in my typical playing length. I had good fun and wasn't taking it too seriously, just wanted to try out the new 2020 drivers to see what they offer, also learn a few things about my current swing.

Below are the Cally SZ numbers I was getting towards the very end of the session.

View attachment 8927674

With your speed I would be focusing on accuracy not just distance. It seems you have plenty of ball speed find something you can consistently hit in the fairway you have plenty of distance.

Just seems to me that if someone buys a club with a heavy emphases on how it looks, And I’m guilty of this, that a color-way that is more Neutral like black would appeal to more.

Sort of the... when you sell a house you paint all the rooms neutral sort of thinking.

I’m guilty of this. My shaft is a yellow and black Paderson Kinetix, with the standard orange subzero, and a blacked out Golf Pride NDMC grip. Colors all over the place and I wish I would have blacked out the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrin, those are some impressive numbers. It really does show how important a fitting can be. There are so many variables from head, shaft profiles, and your own unique swing.

Also received this from Project X to go with the Mavrik and the 60g Riptide shaft.IMG_20200212_205833725.jpg

I knew anecdotally I was low spin with the driver, but I didn't think it was this low. I plan to work on making my attack angles more negative to pick up some more spin. My swing is not mid season type form and I certainly have work to do.

PS: This post isn't specifically about the Mavrik line, so if the mods would like me to move this post, I'm happy to do so.

View attachment 8927674
Ha, you weren't kidding ?

Glad you saw some success during your time. Just out of curiosity, was the Max discussed at all?

On a side note, if you liked the Hashimoto, I'm pretty sure it's a no upcharge option.

Who keeps perpetuating that? Golf Vloggers our there?

I know here the convo has not been that’s it’s unforgiving. Rather the Max and Std will offer more forgiveness than the SZ, as they should.
I found the SZ as forgiving as my Ping G410 lst and that one was super forgiving. I hated the Epic Flash, I really like the Maverik

Sounds like you had a great time @DNice26 crazy how different heads can give different results.

Ha, you weren't kidding ?

Glad you saw some success during your time. Just out of curiosity, was the Max discussed at all?

On a side note, if you liked the Hashimoto, I'm pretty sure it's a no upcharge option.

Yeah, my swing is rather unique apparently. It presents some unique challenges. It also explains why I struggle with low lofted fairway woods.

We didn't try the MavMax version, but I'm not against it. I will add it to my list for Friday.

Good news in the Oban shaft. I did seem to enjoy the feel of it.

Sounds like you had a great time @DNice26 crazy how different heads can give different results.
Yeah, I had a great time. We had fun messing with different setups. Looking forward to Friday to try some other models. Leader in the CHouse for me is the MavSZ 10.5. I may try and spend some time on Friday dialing in a shaft for it. We tried the stock Rogue white in 6X and I was surprised by how poorly I hit it.

Went to GG today. Demo’d a Mavrik Max. Decided to pull the trigger and get it. Praying for good weather tomorrow to test it out..so I go out to the garage to check the bag (and check that nothing has happened to my new club). I started looking for the moveable weights and could only find one...THEY GAVE ME THE WRONG CLUB!!! I have a standard instead of the Max! Back to GG tomorrow for the right club. Sheesh!

I found out this morning that Callaway was putting on a demo day at a local course today. I figured what the heck, might as well go check it out. I've been jonesing pretty hard for a new hybrid lately, and at least loosely considering the idea of a new driver after hitting a friend's Epic Flash a few times over the last couple rounds.

Long story short, I ended up getting fitted for and ordering a Mavrik Max (12°, Evenflow Riptide 5.0) AND a 23° Super Hybrid. I was hitting the Mavrik Max further than my current driver (Ping G30), with a tighter dispersion. I still managed to put a few bad swings on it, but it's a club, not a magic wand - it can only forgive so much. :LOL: Lovin' the subdued sound, and impact just feels...meaty, for lack of a better word. Very solid. I was pretty amazed at how forgiving it was of off-center impacts.

Honestly, I'm pretty skeptical about golf gear marketing hype and not inclined to buy every new shiny thing. I've had my irons/hybrids for almost nine years, and my driver for almost five. I went down there thinking "Try, don't buy", but after hitting them, seeing the Trackman results and the difference on the driving range (outdoor demo), it made me a believer. Now it's gonna be a long 7-10 days waiting to get them in my bag and out on the course!

Apologies if this has been covered already, but what is the weight of the stock weight/screw in the standard?

Ordered mine .75 short, and the weight in mine is 10 G. Hopefully that's heavier than the standard one to bring it back up as its what I requested.

I ordered mine .75 short with a Lamkin Sonar+ midsize grip that I think is 57 grams. It came with a 14 gram weight. The swing weight is about D 3.5.

Yeah, I had a great time. We had fun messing with different setups. Looking forward to Friday to try some other models. Leader in the CHouse for me is the MavSZ 10.5. I may try and spend some time on Friday dialing in a shaft for it. We tried the stock Rogue white in 6X and I was surprised by how poorly I hit it.
I am surprised the GD AD BB worked well for you, it is typically a spin killer with the soft butt and stiff tip. But I agree it feels really good in the SZ, my numbers are a % of yours ha ha but the 7X is still the best I have found in either the Flash SZ TD or the Mavrik SZ.
I have a GD AD XC inbound to try, same profile as the BB but with T1100 in the tip for more stability.

Who's got a specific person they deal with for orders and trade ins and such at Callaway?
I have a contact there I called for my trade in. Send me a PM if you want it

Finally managed some time on the course yesterday. It was cool and everything was soaking wet. The air was kind of damp and miserable out. There was literally no roll out and good drives often plugged in the fairway. That said, I still played from closer distances then I am used to playing.

The Max and I are still getting to know each other and might need a few setting adjustments but so far I am pretty happy with it.

PS: this is the first time I've shared swing data........me right now...lol
I am surprised the GD AD BB worked well for you, it is typically a spin killer with the soft butt and stiff tip. But I agree it feels really good in the SZ, my numbers are a % of yours ha ha but the 7X is still the best I have found in either the Flash SZ TD or the Mavrik SZ.
I have a GD AD XC inbound to try, same profile as the BB but with T1100 in the tip for more stability.
I did use that one in the Standard Mavrik head and I think.....that is the setup I was getting insanely low spin with. We were trying the 9 degree head if I recall.

I want to try the standard Mav head in the 10.5 loft to see what happens. I also will try the Max like Radi suggested.

Am I correct guys that the 50% trade in bonus ended?

View attachment 8927674

thanks for taking the time to share. Looking at the screenshot provided of the Mav SZ, why would this not be the one for you? numbers across the board seem like they would play well.

thanks for taking the time to share. Looking at the screenshot provided of the Mav SZ, why would this not be the one for you? numbers across the board seem like they would play well.

Yep, and I mention it being the one I would choose...so far. Gonna hit some more on the monitor tomorrow afternoon. Should be good to get some new data on a different day.

It’s a funny thing...throwing your data out there for all to consume. I feel vulnerable! Haha.

Yep, and I mention it being the one I would choose...so far. Gonna hit some more on the monitor tomorrow afternoon. Should be good to get some new data on a different day.

It’s a funny thing...throwing your data out there for all to consume. I feel vulnerable! Haha.

Your numbers look great!! I am curious why the std. was spinning so low. If you get the SZ dialed in there is no reason to change but please put your best fitting shaft in a std. head to see if the spin is still low.

Your numbers look great!! I am curious why the std. was spinning so low. If you get the SZ dialed in there is no reason to change but please put your best fitting shaft in a std. head to see if the spin is still low.
Yes, will put the white board diamana in a 10.5 standard head to see what we get in comparison to the SZ.

Back