Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Well I'm swinging like a REALLYoldandstiff guy today, but a lot of what I saw and felt originally is holding true.

Spin is pretty neck and neck through 4 combinations, speeds and distance slightly higher with the standard when things go well, efficiency and dispersion better with the the Sub zero.

Standard still sounds way better.

I'm going to turn the standard down to 8 to open it up on the next pairing to see if that toe/lie is getting in my head. I play a couple flat, and I didn't remember it being this upright. I know I saw it mentioned in a video recently, but I didn't have an actual recollection of that. The difference is kind of intense.
I think the raised crown also makes it look even more upright than it actually is too. It is a different look that took me a little bit to get used to.

I think the raised crown also makes it look even more upright than it actually is too. It is a different look that took me a little bit to get used to.

I think you're right about that. I'm getting in a better groove with it now, but I'm getting tired, so I'm getting a little launch-y. Wish one of y'all was here to take a turn!

Screenshot_20200403-152833_Video Player.jpg

I think you're right about that. I'm getting in a better groove with it now, but I'm getting tired, so I'm getting a little launch-y. Wish one of y'all was here to take a turn!

View attachment 8935252
Haha. I do too. Your grass isn't currently covered in snow. Looks nice :)

What are you using to measure your swings?

View attachment 8935198
Weather is warming, and it doesn't look like tomorrow will work, so seize the day on the comparison of my new Standard to my Sub Zero I guess. See show many good swings I can muster in a short period of time.

Had to change one grip, and make a crap-ton of notes on weight combinations to make it a truly fair fight without actually bringing a scale. Straight shaft swapping just didn't match up. Honestly, it's going to be a lot more fair than when I first hit them a few months ago.
The std. Mavrik with the Hzrdus Smoke Black is what I am playing currently. Is that a Max head on the scale? Do you have all three heads? Can I come over?

The std. Mavrik with the Hzrdus Smoke Black is what I am playing currently. Is that a Max head on the scale? Do you have all three heads? Can I come over?
You can come visit me. We can sit and stare at our clubs in hopes of being able to use them at some point this year together :)

Haha. I do too. Your grass isn't currently covered in snow. Looks nice :)

What are you using to measure your swings?

A mevo+. I plan on making a thread about it eventually, because I think I have about 300 or more shots with it now with the dots on good balls that we collect and gps verify by number.

I'm hitting Chrome soft x today though, 'cause my buddy and his kid are shagging them, and that's what he hits. We're trying to responsibly limit contact.

Under normal circumstances, hell yeah!

Best combos so far are Hzrdus black with the standard, and the Riptide with the Sub Zero which was shocking. Edit: and the rogue white with the sub zero. Apparently the sore old man 101 SS I'm rockin' today likes the shafts I can't normally hit.

Balls are in, back to work. Last round.

Last edited:
Got to hit my new custom black mavrik standard, riptide 50g 6.0 for the first time on a very windy (1-2 club winds at times) golf course (driving ranges are closed now). First time I hit a golf ball with it was on the second hole, wow, dead center strike sounded like I cracked the ball in half. The sound was so much more satisfying than my epic flash SZ. Went dead straight, 243 yards into the wind. I never hit balls like that. Missed only 2 fairways with the club and those were by about 5 feet. I'm usually around a 12 handicap.

Now, to be fair, I have been practicing indoors on my swing without balls in my NYC apartment for two weeks, and I really changed my swing quite a bit.

But to go out to a new course, with a new club and new swing and crush it like I did (hit an 84 with a double bogey on the first hole which wasn't a driver hole, and one triple on a blow up hole) makes me convinced the forgiveness of the driver helped a lot.

I hit a few drives on the toe (sound is definitely not quite as satisfying but still pretty good) and they still went nearly as far and just as straight.

I'm super surprised and happy with my purchase. Why did I wait so long to get it?

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

I hit a 293 yard drive with the Max on Monday (measured by GPS). Granted, it was slightly wind-aided, hit the speed slot in the fairway and got a nice rollout - but for me that was a booming drive, one of my longest ever.
Same hole today, hit a 289 yard drive. Outdrove the two guys I was playing with (both better golfers than me) several times, and was right with them on most of the others. I could get used to this!

I found the limits of its forgiveness too. Hit one drive so far out on the toe that it was almost a whiff. It went about 140 yards, but waaayyy right and out into the bushes.

Received my Mavrik Max last week and got in my first swings with it yesterday. My first swing was literally on the 1st tee yesterday.

Coming from the Ping G400 it took me about 4 holes to get use to the difference in sound. I have had the G400 for a year and it immediately kicked my Epic Flash to my backup bag.

Looks wise I really like everything about the Mavrik. I know some have an issue with the color scheme but the orange really does not bother me.

I didn’t see a real increase in distance but I tested the forgiveness on a few swings and was impressed by the results.

After my first round with the Mavrik Max I really liked what I saw and I’m looking forward to getting it back out there soon.

According to Arccos, I have been averaging 266 off the tee over the last three rounds. Friday, I hit total of 8 drives with one measuring 329! I must have caught a speed slot or something. Arccos only counted 5 of those drives towards my average.

Overall Im loving everything about the Mavrik.

...Coming from the Ping G400 it took me about 4 holes to get use to the difference in sound. I have had the G400 for a year and it immediately kicked my Epic Flash to my backup bag...
I came to the Mavrik Max from a Ping G30, and it took me a little while to get used to the difference in sound too. Completely different.

You can come visit me. We can sit and stare at our clubs in hopes of being able to use them at some point this year together :)
Which Ventus shaft do you have, is it the Red 7X? I was looking at the specs of it and I like that the butt is a little more stiff than the blue version. Are you battling the red vs. the black?

4/12 Fairways after starting 3/3. 4th hole 366 tailwind left me 72 to the center. 294 and that’s beyond great for me.

Then the swing just kind of went wonky. Wristy on the takeaway, no rhythm or fluidity that I had early in the round and previous rounds until 17 when I finally caught one well.

Just a case of the pushes/weak fades/ blocks mixed in with some low left bullets to try and compensate and swing my way out of the blocks.

This is where the forgiveness shined. I didn’t have the distance I wanted but I was still leaving myself looks at the green which was imperative. Misses on the right of the face, below average swing today, but no slices, weak pokes but this was comforting to know even with a poor swing I wasn’t OB or in huge danger, my penalty was just a longer 2nd shot which I’ll live with.

It was nice to rope one on 17 and hit something decent on 18 to end my day, but need to work on getting my tempo back before next round.

Max!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgiveness in the Sub Zero showed up for me yesterday in the wind. To emphasize how ridiculous that wind was, I had 3 drives over 350, and 3 that were between 208-210 yds. Those were on good swings.

I made a couple bad swings because the wind was in my head, and the outcomes were ridiculously good for the crap quality of the strikes. I posted an example in the live round thread.

I made a couple bad swings because the head of the driver was literally getting blown around in my backswing and that's the kind of thing that can REALLY SCREW WITH A GUY. lol

I made one bad-ish swing because I was trying to hit the ball before it blew off the tee again.

I hit 13/14 fairways and averaged 274 yds in the end.

I'm pretty much done looking for flaws in this club.

6/12 fairways today, with most of the misses being not far off the fairway and very playable.

I have a two-way miss, but the ones to the right are almost always straight pushes. I have to put a really bad swing on the Max to get it to slice. Stats for my last 15 rounds show 41% FW hit, 31% missed left and 25% missed right, with 3% missed short. Average drive around 230 yards, with a max of 293 yards.

Going to try to get loose enough today to work some head to head on my Mav and Mav Max. Emphasis on try, as I hit way too many balls yesterday collecting data on other clubs. :(

Received my Mavrik Max last week and got in my first swings with it yesterday. My first swing was literally on the 1st tee yesterday.

Coming from the Ping G400 it took me about 4 holes to get use to the difference in sound. I have had the G400 for a year and it immediately kicked my Epic Flash to my backup bag.

Looks wise I really like everything about the Mavrik. I know some have an issue with the color scheme but the orange really does not bother me.

I didn’t see a real increase in distance but I tested the forgiveness on a few swings and was impressed by the results.

After my first round with the Mavrik Max I really liked what I saw and I’m looking forward to getting it back out there soon.

Similar to what I am seeing. It's not producing any big yardage gains, but ball speed retention on mishits and dispersion is where this one shines for me. I'm looking forward to your continued thoughts on this one.

I tested the forgiveness on a few swings and was impressed by the results.

Additional distance is really nice, but I keep coming back to this. I'm certainly not going to hit the center of the face every swing, so the better the forgiveness, the happier I'll be.

Additional distance is really nice, but I keep coming back to this. I'm certainly not going to hit the center of the face every swing, so the better the forgiveness, the happier I'll be.
For us mortals, playability in misses is definitely king.

Going to try to get loose enough today to work some head to head on my Mav and Mav Max. Emphasis on try, as I hit way too many balls yesterday collecting data on other clubs. :(

I thoroughly enjoyed testing the Max and Standard versions of the Mavrik. I found the Max to launch a lot higher than the standard but both produced great shots. I had pretty much determined the Standard was better for me but the biggest reason I sold the Max quickly was fear of putting a big ole sky mark on it. I have put a couple on my Standard but luckily they buffed out.

20200406_130421.jpg

Yesterday at the driving range I experimented with tee height and really feel like I am on to something. If my ball striking continues to be this good I may have to try the Sub Zero.

Which Ventus shaft do you have, is it the Red 7X? I was looking at the specs of it and I like that the butt is a little more stiff than the blue version. Are you battling the red vs. the black?
Correct. I have a Red 7X tipped an inch. I picked up a Black 6X untipped to have a lighter and tighter option. The only thing I saw that I questioned was the height of my tee shots at the Hideaway. They were peaking super high and I was getting basically no roll out. I play in some pretty heavy winds here, and that super high ball flight can be a real pain to play with. The Black I have has a Green Dot adapter which allows me to drop the loft down -2. I am contemplating getting one of those for the Red as well. Have to get that ball flight down a bit.

I hit them both in a simulator that I don't consider accurate and can only really speak to the feel of each shaft in conjunction with the Mavrik Standard. But, without actually hitting real golf shots, it's impossible to tell. The 7X has a nice balance to it though. If I find that I am producing a more consistent swing with the Red 7X, I will stick with it. If I need to drop the flight down a bit, I will likely get another Green Dot adapter for it.

View attachment 8935198
Weather is warming, and it doesn't look like tomorrow will work, so seize the day on the comparison of my new Standard to my Sub Zero I guess. See show many good swings I can muster in a short period of time.

Had to change one grip, and make a crap-ton of notes on weight combinations to make it a truly fair fight without actually bringing a scale. Straight shaft swapping just didn't match up. Honestly, it's going to be a lot more fair than when I first hit them a few months ago.
That looks to be the making of a great day of testing!!!

Had a better day with the driver today. Still missing more to the right than I want to, small fades or blocks right. I feel like I am not getting the face back to closed/square. Not sure if a ball position thing of just can make the turn complete right now. On ones that are getting thru are absolutely smashed for me, and are down the middle with a bit of a small draw.

Had a better day with the driver today. Still missing more to the right than I want to, small fades or blocks right. I feel like I am not getting the face back to closed/square. Not sure if a ball position thing of just can make the turn complete right now. On ones that are getting thru are absolutely smashed for me, and are down the middle with a bit of a small draw.
I'm no swing coach, but it really could be a ball position thing. What you described is exactly what happens to me sometimes and is an immediate warning to check my alignment relative to ball position. My swing and rotation are usually good, but I'm not seeing my left foot turnout and ball position right. When I throw down a parallel and perpendicular stick, the ball is usually further back in my stance than I thought, creating little push fades when I play freely through the ball, and tiny little trap draws when I focus on staying back just enough to get the right line.

I haven't read what was off for you prior to this post, but you might have nailed a self diagnosis on what ails ya. I hope so, anyway.

Back