Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Played 9 holes in a 30mph wind yesterday. No joke, 30mph. The Mavrik driver performed beautifully. The only drive that I had that was dead straight into the wind didn't balloon at all. In fact, it was a perfect tight draw that was a nice mid trajectory. I didn't even try to get cute and flight it way down or anything. Just teed it up and hit my drive as I normally would.

Now that I am primarily a drawer of the golf ball, I am starting to see that having a driver with a draw bias, no matter how slight, can cause fits at times. I haven't seen anything too terrible. But, I have cooked a few a lot further left than I would like.

My driver swing has been a disaster the past two weeks. I’m starting to get my tempo corrected, and that’s helped. I did smoke one yesterday that reminded me what this driver can do. It’s early in the year, and I’ve never had this many looks at a Par 5 in 2 in any given season.

I’m headed to the range later today and may try the Ventus Blue in the Standard head.

My driver swing has been a disaster the past two weeks. I’m starting to get my tempo corrected, and that’s helped. I did smoke one yesterday that reminded me what this driver can do. It’s early in the year, and I’ve never had this many looks at a Par 5 in 2 in any given season.

I’m headed to the range later today and may try the Ventus Blue in the Standard head.
Let us know how it goes. I think it's a buttery combo.

Have I mentioned how much I like this driver yet??

Screenshot_20200529-195336_Bushnell Golf.jpg
Screenshot_20200529-201940_Bushnell Golf.jpg

Another good day with this one. I didn’t catch one, but I did hit 11/14 fairways and was seeing around 250-260 off the tee. All day didn’t feel like I really caught one and a few were her strikes they still have me a respectable second shot.

I think I’m going to loft it down, currently playing the 9* +2, and some shots felt like they were hanging up in the air and not on a penetrating line which killed some of the distance.

I missed one driver fairway today and was 4 yds below my average overall. Mine's obviously broken.

Feel so in a groove with the Sub Zero it's crazy. I've felt like that before with my irons, even putting, but driving is not and has never been a real strength until now. I know I don't have to try to get anything out of it. Just ask. And that feels awesome.

edit: I think I need a custom. I told myself I didn't, and would only get one if I liked it enough to really stick with it. I think I'm well past that now.

Last edited:
Had a solid day off the tee with my driver. Only gross mishits seem to curve more than 10 yards and most times the ball ends up in a playable spot albeit with a distance penalty. Each time out I get more comfortable with the driver and find myself being more aggressive in my chosen line off the tee box.

Let us know how it goes. I think it's a buttery combo.

So the screw on my Mavrik head has been rusting. When I removed the Ventus Red, I noticed the rust had been transferred over to the adapter. Seeing that, I decided against testing about the Blue until I can figure out how to deal with the rusty screw. That said, it'll be hard to beat Mav/Red combo, which just works for me.

Going to hit these on the LM this week some too. The Kinetixx Ballistic D40 (X) came in on Friday evening with a Cally tip on it already, so it’ll get a go!

Had another great outing with the Mavrik. Today's round was at my old course where I know every nook and cranny. After playing at a much much tighter course this year and learning how to be a better player off the tee the hard way, I was in prime position almost every hole off the tee. Just more focused off the tee.

I had a pretty good score that could have been better by a half dozen shots if I could make a putt.

Anyways, I was hitting big towering cuts that carried forever, mid draws that ran a mile. Flighting it into the wind to maximize my distance off the tee.

Next on my to do list is to add the high push draw into my arsenal. No doubt the Mavrik can handle it.

Oh, and this was the bomb of the day. Could have been better contact, but I had a pretty steady wind at the back to make up for it.

Screenshot_20200531-095402_Bushnell Golf.jpg

I mean that’s long if you are into that kind of thing Radi.

Anyone using the Helium 40 gram shaft? I have 80 mph swing speed and currently use G400 Max with Alta Distanza 40 gram shaft. Looking for a few more yards with no loss of Ping Max forgiveness. Is 14g weight better in heel or rear? Thanks.
I’m using a Helium F4 (Stiff), I believe that it’s 59g. As for the weight, I think it depends on what your desired ball flight is, if the 14g weight is in the back the ball flight will be higher.

Note* I’m referring to the Sub Zero Version.

Another great day from the Mavrik SZ... 71% FIR
It was a tale of misses today, I hit several really good ones, best drive on the day was on the Par 4 18th hole, 284 yards.

I mean that’s long if you are into that kind of thing Radi.
I am. But only when it's not in the trees :) thankfully this one was dead center.

Anyone try the Mavrik Max?

Yep, have posted about it several times in this thread. Easy to hit and unbelievable forgiveness, it's almost obscene what kind of ugliness I can get away with and still get a good shot out of it.

Yes playing it now. Plenty of info to read thru. Anything info specific you are looking for?
Plenty of forgiveness, plenty long too.

Had a great day with the driver today. Was able to move the ball a bit, hit some nice 3-5 yard draws when needed. Only 9-14 fairways but other than 2 drives the rest of the missed where playable just on the edge of the fairway. Played with @shanewu who is a bomber with driver and 3W and was able to keep up with him on quite a few drives today so felt really good.

Yes playing it now. Plenty of info to read thru. Anything info specific you are looking for?
Plenty of forgiveness, plenty long too.

See if I'm getting another stimulus check, I'd be looking at a Max with 10.5 degree (enough of this 12 degree crap), 44.5" just like my 2014 Big Bertha with a R shaft, Tour Velvet grip.

1) How is the face? I have a tendency to have a slight heely miss. Other than that, I tend to hit a little above center.

2) Will I slice with it?

3) And last but not least... will I hit bombs? I want a driver to hit bombs. ... at least bombs for me - SS about 90 - 97 mph depending upon weather.

See if I'm getting another stimulus check, I'd be looking at a Max with 10.5 degree (enough of this 12 degree crap), 44.5" just like my 2014 Big Bertha with a R shaft, Tour Velvet grip.

1) How is the face? I have a tendency to have a slight heely miss. Other than that, I tend to hit a little above center.

2) Will I slice with it?

3) And last but not least... will I hit bombs? I want a driver to hit bombs. ... at least bombs for me - SS about 90 - 97 mph depending upon weather.

1. It's pretty;) There is plenty of forgiveness ALL across the face. You will be able to tell the difference between a heel miss and a toe miss by the sound. Won't be as much distance loss on those hits. A little above center is just fine on the Max.

2. Yes, a slice is a slice if the swing is bad. I play mine with the heavy weight in the heel light weight in the back, I want more of the draw bias. It pretty much eliminates the right side of the fairways for me. (when my swing gets lazy and I don't follow thru, the ball is going right)

3. Swing speed is about the same and it will be longer than you Big Bertha.

You got skilz. so you will be fine with this driver.

Still trying to work out a Mav max 9* (playing at 8*) to Mav std 9* swap. In the meantime I am bringing out the Max tomorrow. League 9 hole scramble. I have to focus not to turn the ball over too much but can get a little extra pop from the Mav Max vs. my day to day G400 Max.

Had a great day with the driver today. Was able to move the ball a bit, hit some nice 3-5 yard draws when needed. Only 9-14 fairways but other than 2 drives the rest of the missed where playable just on the edge of the fairway. Played with @shanewu who is a bomber with driver and 3W and was able to keep up with him on quite a few drives today so felt really good.
Man, I wish I was a bomber!

long practice session today, and needed to work on driver. brought the mav max. it’s so good. high launch. super forgiving. it’s the driver for me unless and until i can make a proper golf swing. until that time, standard is on the sidelines and max is the gamer.

The Subzero continues to be a bomber AND a fairway finder for me. Long straight drives and it shows in my score

Another great weekend of golf thanks to the Max, I've been shooting by far my best scores, and if I just make a marginal swing this thing flat our works. And for someone like myself who struggles a bunch from off the tee, it has transformed my golf game!

Back