Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

two weeks since I last played.

jonesing for some Mavrik time.

the weather has been super nice the last week or so

season is wrapping up quickly.
This post is so confusing.

I mean, did you die?

Can I ask that? Is it rude to talk to the dead, too?

This post is so confusing.

I mean, did you die?

Can I ask that? Is it rude to talk to the dead, too?
Haha, no. I am alive. Barely. Loss of daylight has killed the after work round. Had some birthdays, a wedding, and an anniversary to attend to.

Just got the SZ 10.5 degree. Only been to the range with but so far so good. After some fine tuning I think it could be one of the better drivers I've had. Has anyone tipped the rouge 60? Does it get too light? Also, does anyone know where to get the "tour strong" green dot adapters?

Just got the SZ 10.5 degree. Only been to the range with but so far so good. After some fine tuning I think it could be one of the better drivers I've had. Has anyone tipped the rouge 60? Does it get too light? Also, does anyone know where to get the "tour strong" green dot adapters?
20200923_194508.jpg

You can get them on eBay for $20. Golfworks has them, but they're twice the price. Some are made cheaper than others, but I've never had one fail.

Last outing with the driver was pretty good. I had some drives that got pretty close to keeping up with @shanewu and that is good enough.

Finally got my 5g weight in the mail for my standard head. Went to the range yesterday and what a difference in dispersion once the head was a little heavier. Still can't wrap my head around the variation of weights in the stock mavrik head but Callaway CS assured me it should be 5g. I know of 2 others that had a 2g but not sure if shaft and grip selection played a part in that.

My ball flight is relatively straight with some baby fades but I hit 10 balls with each weight and was 90% more accurate with the heavier head. Feels very similar to my prior epic flash setup. Being able to feel where the head is in my backswing definitely helps me a ton.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Finally got my 5g weight in the mail for my standard head. Went to the range yesterday and what a difference in dispersion once the head was a little heavier. Still can't wrap my head around the variation of weights in the stock mavrik head but Callaway CS assured me it should be 5g. I know of 2 others that had a 2g but not sure if shaft and grip selection played a part in that.

My ball flight is relatively straight with some baby fades but I hit 10 balls with each weight and was 90% more accurate with the heavier head. Feels very similar to my prior epic flash setup. Being able to feel where the head is in my backswing definitely helps me a ton.

I just got mine and it came with a 2g weight. Did you purchase the extra 5g weight online?

I just got mine and it came with a 2g weight. Did you purchase the extra 5g weight online?
I called Callaway CS and they said they would mail one. I waited a week or so and never saw it in the mail so bought one on eBay.

I had a good day with the Mavrik Max today. 13/14 fairways. For whatever reason today had a fade ball flight for most of my shots. Now none of these got me in trouble being on the right half of the fairway but a few I would have preferred to be in the left half just because of the angle in to the green.
Makes me wonder on a day like this when everything is fading if the B21 would have kept me in the middle or left side more often.
Very happy with my Max and hitting that many fairways.

I had another good day with the Mavrik. First two drives were dead straight. Second two were not nearly as good but I was dealing with back issues and really struggling to get through it so
not a club issue.

Think I found my winning combination: Standard Mavrik head, Ventus Blue shaft, and 2020 CSX ball. The last two weeks have probably been the best driving I’ve ever displayed. If you know anything about my game, I am not knowN for hitting fairways (average just over 40%). But I’m at 50% or better 5 rounds in a row. I’m living in the 260s but best strikes are getting out there around 280, and that’s been on wet courses. Just smooth swings too.

I've played 36 holes with the Mavrik Sub Zero now and I think I can say wow. Let me preface this by saying I only upgraded from the Epic Flash Sub Zero to the Mavrik because my Epic Flash cracked and Callaway sent me a replacement. I haven't ever been fit before so I don't know my swing speed but I do know that I usually hit a fade, I hate seeing the ball go left and I usually average about 280-290 yards off the tee.

Pros:
1. Dispersion. The Dispersion is a joke with this thing. The dispersion on the two golf courses I played this weekend was super tight. Even my playing partner was saying "Wow another one dead straight." It seems like the sweet spot is bigger maybe, maybe it's the newer version of the flash face. It's very much like point and shoot. Pick a target in the distance, swing and see your ball stick pretty close to that target.

2. Distance, especially into wind. Often times when I'm hitting into wind, I can hit the high spinny fade floats in the air and goes like 240-260 yards, however the past two rounds I'm not seeing that. I'm seeing a penetrating ball flight. Between yesterday's round and today's round I had 4 holes that were dead into the wind (5-15 mph) and my drives were 284 yards, 287 yards, 286 yards and 270 yards. All were fades too. On those holes, I'd be lucky to reach 260 yards into the wind. I also drove the green on a 300 yards par 4 today which was cool (and proceeded to 3 putt for a par but we won't talk about my putting right now. It's ugly and I'm in a deep dark place with it).

3. Sound. I wasn't bothered by the sound of the Epic Flash Sub Zero. I actually liked it when you hit one on the screws but this sound is better. It sounds similar to a Taylormade driver. A little bit more muted but still lets you know when you get a good swing on the ball.

Cons:
1. For yesterday's round and a couple of range sessions this past week, I was getting some snap hook left shots. Since I usually hit a fade I hate to see the ball go left and to see that was kind of shocking to me. I didn't have any today that went left which was nice to see. For me, it seems when you catch it high and toe side, it shuts the face real quickly and you see it go left. On the Epic Flash, when I would catch one high and on the toe it would be one of the high spinners but would either go straight or stay right. First hole yesterday is a straight ahead par 4 about 360 yards and I hit one high and toe side on the face and it snap hooked left in the 10th fairway. It still went far like 265 yards but was 45-50 yards off line to the left. I think as I get more familiar with the driver though I'll be able to avoid those shots.

Conclusion:
I was skeptical at first but now I am a fan. I'm not seeing HUGE distance gains (5-10 yards verse the Epic Flash) unless it's into the wind. If you have money to spend or if you play in windy conditions where you see the ball float a bit, I think this is a great driver to put in the bag. It's even more affordable if you have a shaft that you really like just get the head and pop that on there and you're good to go. If you have the Epic Flash and you don't hit the high floaty cut like I do, I don't know if it's worth the upgrade. If you want tighter dispersion and a little (by little I mean 5- 15 yards on your best day) distance, I would recommend it.

Also can someone explain what the screws do? I swapped the places of the screws at the range and didn't see much. I have the screws in the factory setting (I think the heavy screw up front, not heavy screw in the back). What does putting the heavy screw in the back supposed to do? Increase or decrease spin rate? Increase or decrease the MOI?

I'm still working through some swing issues and haven't gotten back to full confidence with the driver (any driver for that matter) yet, but still have to stop and marvel at the forgiveness of the face on off center strikes. #10 is a short par 5 at the course we were playing. Easily reachable and if you rip one, you've got a chance with an iron. I take my swing with the Mavrik and catch it way out on the toe, the kind of shot where you feel the torque and vibration in your hands. So I'm kind of down on myself while I'm watching it and the thing goes a full 240 :oops:, not quite covering the split fairway to get me into iron range, but giving me a decent shot out of the rough with a hybrid that I left 3 feet short of the green. After I took the swing, got mad at my miss, then watched the ball sail down the right center of the fairway I looked at my driver to see where I hit it and I was in the top left corner of the driver face, which is almost a miss. Definitely a stroke saver on that hole. Now if I could just get my swing back to some semblance of consistency...

Mavrik Max has arrived and is ready for liftoff! I haven’t played for a few weeks because #PuppyProblems but my parents and sister’s family are coming into town this weekend and the boys are going to play early Saturday while the girls watch the demon puppies. With a 7:10am tee time and 7:05am sunrise, the Mavrik Max may make its first appearance on the first tee! 😳

My recent numbers with my TaylorMade R1 (below) were less than stellar (2 rounds with Arccos). I figure my 12.5% driver accuracy can’t get too much worse. 😆 After a distance fitting with Callaway, I have a 10g heavier shaft in the driver and I’m ready to let ‘er rip!
700632AC-C304-4573-87B5-3231DCF3E9A0.jpeg

Mavrik Max has arrived and is ready for liftoff! I haven’t played for a few weeks because #PuppyProblems but my parents and sister’s family are coming into town this weekend and the boys are going to play early Saturday while the girls watch the demon puppies. With a 7:10am tee time and 7:05am sunrise, the Mavrik Max may make its first appearance on the first tee! 😳

My recent numbers with my TaylorMade R1 (below) were less than stellar (2 rounds with Arccos). I figure my 12.5% driver accuracy can’t get too much worse. 😆 After a distance fitting with Callaway, I have a 10g heavier shaft in the driver and I’m ready to let ‘er rip!
View attachment 8965910

If the Max can fix @clarkgriswold 's right miss, I’m sure it’ll do wonders for you. Good luck!

Last edited:
I have gotten used to the 45.5 length of the Mavrik but this is the first driver that I have played that long. I was playing a short course this weekend and choked down an inch or so and hit some great drives. I could cut it down but I do not mind the extra length above my hands and swing weight is spot on right now. The sound of the Std. Mavrik is still the best I have ever heard.

I'm still working through some swing issues and haven't gotten back to full confidence with the driver (any driver for that matter) yet, but still have to stop and marvel at the forgiveness of the face on off center strikes. #10 is a short par 5 at the course we were playing. Easily reachable and if you rip one, you've got a chance with an iron. I take my swing with the Mavrik and catch it way out on the toe, the kind of shot where you feel the torque and vibration in your hands. So I'm kind of down on myself while I'm watching it and the thing goes a full 240 :oops:, not quite covering the split fairway to get me into iron range, but giving me a decent shot out of the rough with a hybrid that I left 3 feet short of the green. After I took the swing, got mad at my miss, then watched the ball sail down the right center of the fairway I looked at my driver to see where I hit it and I was in the top left corner of the driver face, which is almost a miss. Definitely a stroke saver on that hole. Now if I could just get my swing back to some semblance of consistency...
I can relate to every word of this post. :LOL: My driver swing has been hot trash lately and I'm spraying the ball all over the place, but still amazed at what kind of garbage the Mav Max will let me get away with and still reward me with a decent result. It's pretty wild to feel the miss, look at the clubface and see how badly you mishit it, but your ball is still in play and a good distance out there.

11/12 for 285 today with my favorite club (Mavrik Sub Zero) in soft breezy conditions. Working them high, low, left, right, it just does everything I want it to, and does it well. I know there's new stuff out and coming, but I just don't see how something could perform any better for me. It's more impressive everyday.

If you do go the route of the green dot adapter, take it to a good club builder. I took it to PGATSS and had it malfunction and had to get it repaired. All good now tho.

Think I found my winning combination: Standard Mavrik head, Ventus Blue shaft, and 2020 CSX ball. The last two weeks have probably been the best driving I’ve ever displayed. If you know anything about my game, I am not knowN for hitting fairways (average just over 40%). But I’m at 50% or better 5 rounds in a row. I’m living in the 260s but best strikes are getting out there around 280, and that’s been on wet courses. Just smooth swings too.

The CSX is the most forgiving ball I have ever played.

If you do go the route of the green dot adapter, take it to a good club builder. I took it to PGATSS and had it malfunction and had to get it repaired. All good now tho.
What happened with it?

You and I are similar except I am gaming Ventus Black. The combo is nuts though. Especially with the CSX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The shaft rotated 90* in the sleeve.
Okay. Just a bad install then. That sucks though, especially depending on when it happened/you discovered it. Glad you got it fixed.

11/12 for 285 today with my favorite club (Mavrik Sub Zero) in soft breezy conditions. Working them high, low, left, right, it just does everything I want it to, and does it well. I know there's new stuff out and coming, but I just don't see how something could perform any better for me. It's more impressive everyday.
This is where I am at. I honestly have no business shopping for a new driver next season. Nothing to gain. Other than the new and shiny factor, it's just going to be a lateral move.

Probably have a couple more rounds before it's done. But, I'll have like 6 months to mull it over, lol

Back