Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Went from the Ventus 6S to the Riptide 60 6.0 today. They are very similar but the riptide 60 is just a little more crunchy on contact and feels a little more satisfying for me. Weirdly, with my epic flash 3W, the Ventus feels a little better to me than my Riptide 60. Can't really go wrong with either shaft since the Driver is so forgiving and long.

Hit my buddies Mavrik Sub Zero today and hit a completely unexplainable bomb. I mean it was a mid flight fade that absolutely defied physics how far it went.
I am in the market.

Hit my buddies Mavrik Sub Zero today and hit a completely unexplainable bomb. I mean it was a mid flight fade that absolutely defied physics how far it went.
I am in the market.
It is very, very good!

I am in the market.

Gathered some interesting data last night in my indoor simulator league. Got there a little early and our bay was empty so got some bonus range time. Had the hazrdous smoke black loaded up and was feeling confident based on my prior epic flash fitting. Strange things occured in the mavrik head for me though. I was hitting everything super high on the face and out on the toe. Tried making some small adjustments and just couldn't find the center of the face. I had my rogue white with me so I swapped them and the first shot with the rogue was right on the center of the club face and felt fantastic. The SIM showed me 100.7 club head speed with a ball speed of 148.9. Launch angle was 14.6 and spin was 2687 rpm. The carry distance was 244 with a rollout to 263 which seems about right. I think the smash was around 1.4 but I don't remember exactly. Average of 10 shots was about 2800 rpm spin and launch angle around 14, so happy with that.

I did try to hit some more with the smoke and did find the center a few times. The spin was lower in the 2300 range with launch conditions roughly the same. Distance was so close that it was negligible at this point. Wondering if the kick point differences and possibly the torque were making me live on the toe as my miss is always a heel strike.

Got a little long winded there but I am really enjoying this simulator league we found. 2 man teams and will keep me swinging for the next 10 weeks and is tons of fun. Nice that I can gather some data from the simulator as well.

Love the mavrik and all of the data and analysis in the thread. Sometimes I think I tinker too much and should just let it fly but what's the fun in that. Have been thinking of maybe giving an SZ head a chance too.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Well this driver has officially fended off the B21. I gave the Riptide some work and wasn't able to get comfortable with it, and even on good swings, I wasn't seeing the distance I expect after gaming the HZRDUS Yellow with it for so long, so I decided to stop fighting it and just go with what works. Hit some good drives this weekend with this one. Topping out at about 250ish right now with my current swing. Going to work on that in the offseason and see if I can't get myself back to the 260-270 range here next season.

Well this driver has officially fended off the B21. I gave the Riptide some work and wasn't able to get comfortable with it, and even on good swings, I wasn't seeing the distance I expect after gaming the HZRDUS Yellow with it for so long, so I decided to stop fighting it and just go with what works. Hit some good drives this weekend with this one. Topping out at about 250ish right now with my current swing. Going to work on that in the offseason and see if I can't get myself back to the 260-270 range here next season.
This driver has held off quite a few this year! The forgiveness, sound, feel and distance are all top tier. Paired with the right shaft it can get flat out ridiculous.

So I did a thing.

1e84baa763ceb99ef2013f22de7b85ff.jpg

66722db734f213856ab63b07dccba4b5.jpg

c2cfe9ecbd58b86da5e198f616b40df9.jpg

Today’s maiden voyage with the started off a bit wonky. It sets up differently and that took some getting used to. I e got the 10.5° head set at -1. Before it was over, I was splitting fairways and hitting butter cuts. The latter was something I struggled to do with the standard Mavrik. The golfer I was paired with today couldn’t believe how I was driving the ball. It made today’s round a lot of fun. I hit a couple of cuts the same distance I’d hit draws with my standard head. Loved every second of it! Lower spin and built for straight or the fade.

So last Friday I teed off on 18 to a peculiar sound, very strange ball flight, and the feel of my clubhead smacking me right in the middle of my back on my follow through. The guys behind me waiting to tee off all screamed "WOAHHHH!" in unison, and when I pulled the Mav back around to see what fresh hell this was, the clubhead and half of the shaft fell to the ground, leaving me holding half of a broken shaft.

Really strange - I don't slam/throw clubs, have never abused it or hit it against anything, it's less than nine months old and my swing speed is only in the high 80s. It was just a clean mid-shaft break. I got ahold of our Callaway rep at one of the local courses and he told me to bring it in. He looked at it, gave me a loaner shaft, and said no problem, Callaway would send me a new one in 7-10 days. Sure enough, I got the call today that my new shaft was in. Kudos to Callaway for such great customer service and standing behind their products!

As an aside, I play the Evenflow Riptide 5.5 50g in R flex. The loaner shaft I was using was the same shaft, but 60g. I really didn't think I'd even notice a 10g difference in a shaft, but I certainly did! It definitely felt heavier, and seemed like I lost a bit of distance on my drives. At least it satisfied my curiosity about hitting a heavier shaft. :LOL:

Oh, and we never did find that ball I hit on the 18th tee last Friday. We were all so focused on my club that nobody saw where it went. I know it started off waaayyy right and flying weird, but from there it's all a mystery.

Today’s maiden voyage with the started off a bit wonky. It sets up differently and that took some getting used to. I e got the 10.5° head set at -1. Before it was over, I was splitting fairways and hitting butter cuts. The latter was something I struggled to do with the standard Mavrik. The golfer I was paired with today couldn’t believe how I was driving the ball. It made today’s round a lot of fun. I hit a couple of cuts the same distance I’d hit draws with my standard head. Loved every second of it! Lower spin and built for straight or the fade.
Triple D sounds like a dream. That fade bias is something I crave.

Yesterday, with the cold weather upon us, I did a deep clean of all my clubs, polishing crowns. Tough to do, but probably time to say goodbye to outdoor golf for the year. Despite a crazy 2020, this year has been an absolute blast golf-wise. This year could not have started better, in fact, as me and my 12 brothers got to tell everyone about the amazing clubs we received at the Grandaddy. What I was most excited about reviewing was my driver: A 10.5* Mavrik. The sound/feel and shape appealed to me right away--it was really the combination I've been wanting for years. And after 40+ rounds, the most I've every played in a year, I can say without a doubt that the Mavrik driver is the best driver I've ever bagged.

Before the season started, I purchased a Custom Max to put up against my Mav. Indoors, the Max shined on limiting my right miss. When I "go after" one, my arms can hang behind, and I can hit some big blocks. My first round of the year, I took my Mav out, and came away super impressed. I saw parts of holes I had never seen before, and the temps were in the 30s. After a month-long layoff (quarantine), I put the Max in play. I shot my personal best score, finding my season high in fairways, and living in the 270-280 range. My buddy told me after the round that was the best he'd ever seen me drive the ball. But every time I put the Mav in play, I hit a at least one bomb that had me coming back. Indeed, before this year, I had never topped 290 in play let alone 300. But early in the year, with the Mav, I hit two drives on the back 9 that totaled 299 and 301. Later that year, I hit another bomb that got plenty of rollout, totaling 308. I was shocked when I saw the numbers (cart GPS).

Well, my second to last round of the year, I had a strong tail wind, teed it high, and let it fly. The results are below. The hole is a drivable 318 yards. I blocked it, but not terribly. The green is just on the other side of that mound. You can see the flag by the pine trees. I don't have an official number on that one, but I think it was my longest drive yet.

82IOMkkRQ9CIjZqNhqCZww.jpg

The day before, I snuck for an early 9 hole course near my place. I just moved back to my hometown, and I haven't played that course in probably 10 years. It was so much fun hitting Mav Bombs there, leaving me half swing wedges into greens. I had never hit tee shots like that, and if I could have gotten it together around the greens, my 43 could have easily been several strokes less.

Headed into next season, I think I've found my perfect driver setup: 10.5 Mav head set at S/N, Ventus Blue 5s shaft, with a 7g weight. Now, like a true THPer, I fully admit I can be a club ho. And I'm someone who likes having a second driver (like putter) around in case things go sideways. I will no doubt hit the new Callaway drivers and some others (Ping G425 Max and TSi2 come to mind), intending to find a "backup." But for ANY driver to knock the Mav out of my bag, it will need to be beyond special. Callaway knocked this driver line out of the park, and with my custom paint job, I couldn't be more in love.

Weird day with the Mavrik Max today. Still less than ten rounds with the driver, but the hooks showed up a bit today. I have it set to max forgiveness. In the driver’s defense, I struggled with most clubs today. I put my first ball OB with the driver, but also absolutely smoked one 270 into the wind to set myself up to reach a par 5 in two. My misses today kept the ball low, but apart from one that got wet and another that caught a tree, everything was >250. Progress!

So I brought Mav Max and Mav standard with me for my last round. Played the max with the Oban Hashimoto and put my usual Attas Coool into the Mav standard. With the Oban I have played it with the last two rounds and it’s been squirrelly of the tee, it’s a little bit longer than I’d like so I may move on from it or tip it. On to the Mav standard with the Attas, wow. The speed i get out of it is ridiculous. It just feels faster compared to the max. I know that’s by design but I immediately felt the speed jump. The sound is also even better than the max. And the max is very good to begin with. Gonna ride this combo for a while and see where it takes me. Hopefully I can get a couple more rounds in before the season end.

Bumping this due to a CPO sale. You can get a “like new” Mavrik/Max/SZ driver for $233. That’s INSANE.

I put the Max back into play on the 11th hole today because of not getting along with the B21.
Forgiveness is better across the face IMO. I like the sound better, but I know that is a very personnel thing.
I can tame spin that I need to by playing a different ball than my normal Chrome Soft. Playing with @shanewu today he witnessed a few shots that got out there close to his distance on drives which is long for me.

Bumping this due to a CPO sale. You can get a “like new” Mavrik/Max/SZ driver for $233. That’s INSANE.
Thank you good sir for the bump. I am now the proud owner of a Mavrik driver and hybrid :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I’m not sure how else to say it....if you take nothing away from this thread is that the Mav Max is forgiving, but still packs a punch. three straight days on well struck shots I wa a routinely seeing 250-270 off the tee and on off center hits it was 230-240. The best part it’s so fun to hit and getting compliments from other players is nice also.

I had my best driving day of the year with the Std. Mavrik this morning. First tee jitters my ass, ain't nobody got time for that. I uncharacteristically smashed a nice draw off the first tee and played that same shot all day long. I bladed my first two approach shots over the back of the green and found myself +3 after three holes. I settled down after that with a 39 on the front thanks to long fairway or close drives that put me in great scoring position.

The back nine was like an out of body experience. I normally hit less than driver on a few holes on the back but today I just made driver work hitting a couple higher than normal drives and even a fade that I overcooked into the adjacent fairway. I had gps measured drives of 306 and 296 yards on the the back on my way to a 38. A random I was paired with was using an Epic Flash and hitting it well but it was a nice reminder of how good the sound is on the Mavrik line.

Did a bit of weight adjustment on my Max tonight. Heel weight changed from 14 to 16 and the back weight from 2 to 6.
Now just need to get out and do some testing, but might be the weekend before that is possible.

That’s crazy!

I’m about to order some head weights to play around with the settings on my . At the end of the day, if anything gets worse, it’s going back to my current settings. Haha! These thing was a beast on Friday! Missed two fairways and barely.

Back