Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Now we have quite a few owners on the forum, I'd be interested to know what shafts people have gone with. Is the Riptide the most popular option?

Hzrdus smoke black 6.0 for me. Love it.

I played the Max with 14/8 weights today. Nice straight shots or small draws. Little tire swinging by the end of round. I think 14/6 will be where I leave it.

Upping the Mavrik Max to 10° today and keeping the face neutral. Looking for a little higher launch.
Please ignore my back to back snap hooks and the line drive into a bunker on #2, but I mashed the Mavrik Max today especially considering temps were in the high 40’s.
5760ABA5-D4BA-429B-BF41-70293698E544.jpeg

I played the Max with 14/8 weights today. Nice straight shots or small draws. Little tire swinging by the end of round. I think 14/6 will be where I leave it.
Which shaft are you using? Wondering if a higher balance point would allow you to see the benefits in ball flight, without the heavy feel.

Which shaft are you using? Wondering if a higher balance point would allow you to see the benefits in ball flight, without the heavy feel.
Either a Ventus Blue 5R or a GD Tour AD IZ-5 I haven't tried the stock shaft since playing with the weights.

I've got the XR16 in the bag, loving it. Will I see anything significant in a move to Mavrik?

Does the IZ feel as heavy as the Ventus? That's a relatively high balance point shaft.
No. The IZ has a very smooth feel to it.

The xr16 was and still is a great driver. It has High m o i and is aerodynamic and fast. This article appears to be just written , so it is up to date in its comparisons. It is a good read. This is the driver I currently game, but have been looking to upgrade to today's technology. I am not convinced yet that it is worth it as the xr16 is known for its great dispersion results.

I've got the XR16 in the bag, loving it. Will I see anything significant in a move to Mavrik?
You'll see a whole lot of extra forgiveness with the flash face and the jail break. I had the XR16 before upgrading to the Epic Flash and now the Mavrik. The Epic Flash and Mavrik, for me, were light years ahead of the XR16. The low heal strikes and high toe strikes aren't punished as much. It takes those shots from maybe OB or deep in the rough, to the first cut or even fairway. With the deals that Callaway Preowned have during Black Friday, it would be hard to pass up

14 heel or back?

How much does the SZ lower spin? I am a little spinnier with my Mav (10.5* set -1 D) than I would like which I know is a swing issue. I have thought about trying the SZ to see if it takes a bit of the spin out but I am not a high SS guy and am concerned that I might not be fast enough to leverage the head.

How much does the SZ lower spin? I am a little spinnier with my Mav (10.5* set -1 D) than I would like which I know is a swing issue. I have thought about trying the SZ to see if it takes a bit of the spin out but I am not a high SS guy and am concerned that I might not be fast enough to leverage the head.
Have you had it measured on a LM? What number would you consider to be too spinny? Do you have a target spin number in mind? Hard to give a definitive number on spin reduction. We all deliver the club to the ball differently, so it's not like my experience will translate 1 to 1 for you. When I was testing the Mav against the Mav SZ, I was getting roughly 400 less RPM with the heavy weight back and about 500 less when I had the heavy weight forward. But, I hit up on the ball quite a bit.

If anything, I would at least give it a try if you have a demo available to you. See first hand what the differences are. I would also recommend trying a standard in a 9 degree head. Can loft it down to 8 and still maintain the same level of forgiveness. A loft change alone may get you where you want to be without having to move into a head that is more fade biased than what you currently use. Your driver is setup to be about 3 degrees more upright than the SZ in it's stock setup.

Have you had it measured on a LM? What number would you consider to be too spinny? Do you have a target spin number in mind? Hard to give a definitive number on spin reduction. We all deliver the club to the ball differently, so it's not like my experience will translate 1 to 1 for you. When I was testing the Mav against the Mav SZ, I was getting roughly 400 less RPM with the heavy weight back and about 500 less when I had the heavy weight forward. But, I hit up on the ball quite a bit.

If anything, I would at least give it a try if you have a demo available to you. See first hand what the differences are. I would also recommend trying a standard in a 9 degree head. Can loft it down to 8 and still maintain the same level of forgiveness. A loft change alone may get you where you want to be without having to move into a head that is more fade biased than what you currently use. Your driver is setup to be about 3 degrees more upright than the SZ in it's stock setup.

I am generally in the 2800-3400 range with the driver. That is with a driver SS of 96-97 mph when I try to be quick and 93 mph or so with my conservative swing.

It's pretty individual. I've seen guys see almost no spin drop from the standard, others quite a bit. It was just a little over 100 for me when they first came out (I find the standard to be pretty low spin for me). Most common is somewhere around 250 stock from what I've seen. I chose the SZ because of size and shape, flatter lie, ability to work it better, and I like adjustability. If you push the settings you'd definitely be able to drop some spin, but the heavy weight forward really changes the club in terms of forgiveness. You're a good player so it might not bother you, and I personally wouldn't worry about a SS concern with that head. I have a friend that it suits wonderfully that tops out around 93. It drops around 550 rpm for him and those benefits outweigh anything else.

Is there somewhere you can try it out? Don't really know until you give it a go. There's a lot of options between the sleeve and weight settings.

I am generally in the 2800-3400 range with the driver. That is with a driver SS of 96-97 mph when I try to be quick and 93 mph or so with my conservative swing.
I agree with OldandStiff. Don't let your swing speed deter you from trying any head. Off the center, they're all going to be as efficient as one another. You could see a significant drop, you could see very little difference. On paper it should be a lower spinning head, so it's a great place to start.

I agree with OldandStiff. Don't let your swing speed deter you from trying any head. Off the center, they're all going to be as efficient as one another. You could see a significant drop, you could see very little difference. On paper it should be a lower spinning head, so it's a great place to start.

I may try to pick one up over the winter for grins off of CPO. I need to try and hide it from the wife though she gets grumbly when new clubs come in particularly in the winter.

I may try to pick one up over the winter for grins off of CPO. I need to try and hide it from the wife though she gets grumbly when new clubs come in particularly in the winter.
Man, I feel this struggle, lol. I still think if there's a way to go to a shop to at least hit one to see what you're getting into, that would be your best option. That way you would know it's worth it before putting your life at risk with the wifey. Just remember, you don't want to piss her off too bad. She knows where you sleep...

And then you have people like @JMB3 trying to get you in trouble, haha. Going to be hard to get a better price than that.

Back