Callaway MAVRIK FW Woods and Hybrids

When you absolutely have to hit a certain lie angle and loft

7F898E27-5406-4880-8317-0918575D6480.jpeg

@DNevsCG is back wit Doc Hoc and this time they break down and give you all the information on the technology behind the fairway woods and hybrids. It's a great video packed with a ton of information

Great video, thanks for sharing

They are offering lofts of 13.5*, 15*, 16.5* & 18*. For the player profile that the SZ models fit that is plenty. Any higher loft and they are probably bumping up against 2i or 3i lofts and god forbid they do that.

It's not uncommon that club makers who offer sub-models of a certain line aimed at different levels to make the same mistake.

The lie angles get more upright in the aspirational player's (or senior's) sub-models because they for some reason think that all such people cast over the top.

It's almost as if they never heard of a non-scratch player with a flatter, inside out, late release, draw swing.

[Except for the occasional push that doesn't move back, I have to hit a slice on purpose to go left to right.]

The player profile concept itself seems nothing less than narrow minded to people like myself..

So Dicks had the Mavrik Max Fairway woods in finally and I stopped on my way home from work so I could make my final determination on whether or not to trade my flash in for them. I hit the Mav Max 3w with the 60g Riptide Orange shaft side by side with the same setup I have now (Epic Flash standard w/ EvenFlow Green 65g) and the max beet her out. I was actually hitting some small draws with her. The distance was longer, the spin was lower and I just really liked what I saw at address. I'm not saying flash is bad by any means. It's a great fwy wood, but the Mavrik Max shined for me, as I hoped it would. Average distance with the flash was around 230. Average distance with the Mavrik Max was around 235-240 and I even got a couple long ones in there at 252 and 264! I was finally seeing spin rates under 3000. Here's a picture of the #s from one of my shots with the Max. So, we all know what's happening tomorrow. Already called my guy at Edwin Watts. He's having one of his guys set aside a 3w and 5w in the Max, both with the Riptide Orange 60g so I can trade in my flash woods for them tomorrow after work! I'm really excited and it felt so good to hit a descent fairway wood. I will be honest, I have hit a few good shots with the Flash fwy woods, but overall they have been the clubs I have struggled with the most in my bag. Now I know I won't always hit great shots but I was hitting the max fwy consistent in a bay, which normally I just hit crappy shot after crappy shot. I am super excited about this update to my bag this year! 20200121_164459.jpg

Reactions: KEV
So Dicks had the Mavrik Max Fairway woods in finally and I stopped on my way home from work so I could make my final determination on whether or not to trade my flash in for them. I hit the Mav Max 3w with the 60g Riptide Orange shaft side by side with the same setup I have now (Epic Flash standard w/ EvenFlow Green 65g) and the max beet her out. I was actually hitting some small draws with her. The distance was longer, the spin was lower and I just really liked what I saw at address. I'm not saying flash is bad by any means. It's a great fwy wood, but the Mavrik Max shined for me, as I hoped it would. Average distance with the flash was around 230. Average distance with the Mavrik Max was around 235-240 and I even got a couple long ones in there at 252 and 264! I was finally seeing spin rates under 3000. Here's a picture of the #s from one of my shots with the Max. So, we all know what's happening tomorrow. Already called my guy at Edwin Watts. He's having one of his guys set aside a 3w and 5w in the Max, both with the Riptide Orange 60g so I can trade in my flash woods for them tomorrow after work! I'm really excited and it felt so good to hit a descent fairway wood. I will be honest, I have hit a few good shots with the Flash fwy woods, but overall they have been the clubs I have struggled with the most in my bag. Now I know I won't always hit great shots but I was hitting the max fwy consistent in a bay, which normally I just hit crappy shot after crappy shot. I am super excited about this update to my bag this year! View attachment 8924014
Great post. Thx for sharing!

The player profile concept itself seems nothing less than narrow minded to people like myself..

yeah, the best and brightest with the biggest budget in all of golf are narrow minded. not, oh well nevermind.

Local golf store does not have Mav fairways in yet... hybrids were there but saved them for a future tinkering session.

Great post. Thx for sharing!
Absolutely! All the feedback from the Grandaddy guys and the videos from Callaway got me intrigued. My suspicion was correct and tomorrow needs to get here already! I want to see the new shiny in the bag.

Awesome! Now, go out in the snow and hit a few shots! I love new equipment season. It just stinks that it always happens when we're in the middle of the tundra.
No doubt man. I'm happy it got here in time for league tomorrow night but still not the same thing.

Trade in bonus was too good to pass up. Heavenwood upgraded.
1579661070919.jpeg

Crazy great. What’s your driver SS?
Not as fast as when it’s not 41 degrees like yesterday when I recorded that ;)

I’m 108+ in full gear. Physically I don’t know that I can hit full gear anymore with my left arm.

Reactions: KEV
It’s a shaft I’ve had before and love how it plays in the fairways woods.

Can’t emphasize enough how happy I was when I unboxed the review 5w that the phantom line on the crown was gone.
I still find it funny that the line seemed to disappear after about 4 swings for me because those kind of things usually bug me. I totally get why people would dislike it though.

I still find it funny that the line seemed to disappear after about 4 swings for me because those kind of things usually bug me. I totally get why people would dislike it though.
It just completely looked like an afterthought to me, and Callaway doesn’t usually fall into that.

MAVRIK at address in the three pieces I have though, gotta give props for the look at address.

Whaaaaaaaat? That is insane. You have a cool job (y)

You mean Kevin Napier (Callaway tour truck technician) does. I was just a guest watching him work.

Back