Callaway MAVRIK FW Woods and Hybrids

New Club Day - here is what landed in the 3 spot. I have a matching 5h as well that can be mixed into #4 spot. Since I liked Riptide in the Driver and 4w but it was not available in hybrid, I decided to blind order Evenflow. Hoping for similar overall good feels.

IMG_5913.jpg

IMG_5912.jpg

IMG_5911.jpg

IMG_5907.jpg

IMG_5910.jpg

New Club Day - here is what landed in the 3 spot. I have a matching 5h as well that can be mixed into #4 spot. Since I liked Riptide in the Driver and 4w but it was not available in hybrid, I decided to blind order Evenflow. Hoping for similar overall good feels.
My 5H and 5W arrived yesterday, along with my Mavrik irons and MD5 wedges. Took them all to the practice range. I liked the 5H and was hitting it pretty well, but by the time I got to the 5W I was worn out and just could not put a good swing on it. It was the last club I hit after 45 minutes of short game practice and then working my way all the way up the bag through my wedges, irons and hybrid on the range, so I was pretty done by then. I'm playing today, so hopefully I'll get a better feel for the 5W.

The 5H felt great, though. I was hitting it further than my previous one, and my usual miss with hybrids (a big, nasty hook) was nowhere to be seen. Even a couple of hard pulls just gave me a slight pull draw.

I played two rounds on the Old Course today on TrackMan. The standard 4W I have in my backup bag got quite the workout. And it was absolute money. Off the tee, smooth swings got me 250, splitting the fairway. And I used it one time off the deck on a Par 5, sitting 243 to the pin. I flushed it, carrying it just short of the green and rolling all the way to the back. Darn TrackMan gave me three putts for a par, though. :sneaky:

My 4H and 5H continue to shine. The 5H may be my secret weapon this year. Long Par 3s have always given me fits, especially any time I tried to muscle a 5i. While not the real thing, I've hit nearly every green on par 3s when using the 5H, ranging from 175 to 195. Very, very easy club to hit high and straight.

Last edited:
Mixed results so far with the 4w. I’m not convinced yet it will replace the 816 alpha but I’m going to keep it in the bag for a while.

I love the 3w and hybrid pro. My most consistent clubs.

I love the 3w and hybrid pro. My most consistent clubs.
Standard 4w and 4h pro for me. Wasn't a fan of my previous hybrid, but the pro is so nice

So the hype of the Mavrik 3 wood is looking pretty legit. I had a chance to use mine quite a few times both off the fairway and the tee and was really impressed by both. Off the fairway this thing was stupid easy to launch. I was seeing pretty good peak height which builds my confidence a bit more hitting in to greens.

Off the tee it reminds me a lot of my old Rogue where it has a powerful feel, a nice little baby draw and great distance. I'm really looking forward to getting it on my home course to compare to what I saw from the Flash last season.

New set up for the HW

1583676520709.jpeg

Had a range time on monday Ping G410 against the Mavrik Max, found the max much easier to launch usually a problem I have with 3 wood, ordered the Mavrik and it arrived today another range session and really pleased. Had first round with the new Mavrik driver last week and 15 fairways out of 15 hard to judge the distance as winter conditions and a course I only play a few times a year. Off to the castle course at St Andrews on Thursday, super excited likely be a disaster lol 😂

Took a few rips with a demo Max 5 wood. I liked it and I'm excited for mine to arrive.
I saw a mid flight that certainly wants to go left. I was hitting off a mat so it was hard to judge the lower leading edge, but I think I like it. I think the Ping 5 wood has a more reassuring look at address, but this is a nice option from Callaway.

Really loving my fairways. Have to say the 5W is probably my favorite. Easy to hit, just a nice penetrating ball flight and is fine going into a green.

Got my 4H in yesterday. Ordered it 2 degrees flat and looks like they were able to do it to my eye. At the range today was just hitting them dead straight and long. I’m seriously impressed by this entire line. Trying to decide whether I want the 5h or stick with the 5 iron.

Got my 4H in yesterday. Ordered it 2 degrees flat and looks like they were able to do it to my eye. At the range today was just hitting them dead straight and long. I’m seriously impressed by this entire line. Trying to decide whether I want the 5h or stick with the 5 iron.

The standard 4H is like a gateway drug. Loved it so much I had to try a 5H. And now that’s my favorite club.

The standard 4H is like a gateway drug. Loved it so much I had to try a 5H. And now that’s my favorite club.
These hybrids feel like cheating. I'm almost glad the pro doesn't come in a 5h because I would have considered kicking my 5i out of the bag. Today I was hitting my 5i quite well though.

I think I will likely end up with one. Going to see how the 4 does on the course next weekend first though. Make sure its as good there.

I hate to sound like a broken record but Mavrik Max 3 wood is Awesome!!!!
I thought Standard 5w is best I have ever hit but Max 3 is Wow!! I never thought I could hit a 15* FW from turf but I am so excited. What Callaway claims that it launch high and easiest FW they created is no lie.
That leading edge on Max is for real. What a brilliant design for us mortals.
My top of the bag is painted with Mavrik.
Driver,3,5 4H and 5H.
4H is still on working stage. Maybe exchange with 7W. Everything else is $$$
Mavrik Rules!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate to sound like a broken record but Mavrik Max 3 wood is Awesome!!!!
I thought Standard 5w is best I have ever hit but Max 3 is Wow!! I never thought I could hit a 15* FW from turf but I am so excited. What Callaway claims that it launch high and easiest FW they created is no lie.
That leading edge on Max is for real. What a brilliant design for us mortals.
My top of the bag is painted with Mavrik.
Driver,3,5 4H and 5H.
4H is still on working stage. Maybe exchange with 7W. Everything else is $$$
Mavrik Rules!!

Damn, I might have to demo a 4w or...gasp....3w

Damn, I might have to demo a 4w or...gasp....3w

You need to try it. Past years I was stuck on 4W because I can’t get that high launch. It wasn’t that I couldn’t hit it but I just couldn’t get the normal 15* high enough to get the optimum distance I need. It started to get in my head and my swing and approach reflect that. I gave on even carrying FW except 7W.
Today with Max 3W. I saw the flight I once had when I was young and stronger. It felt so good seeing that fly high and strong. I don’t expect to get 250y like others can. But 220-225 carry like today will be fantastic.

I'm looking to add a 4 wood. I'm curious on people's thoughts on the standard vs Sub zero. I switched to mavrik Sub zero driver this year and love it. I always thought the Sub zero model was for golfers better than I but it's outstanding. I doubt I'll be able to hit both in the 4 wood to make a decision

SZ 4wd was a struggle for me today even off the tee.... swings weren’t great though so not giving up on it yet

This 3+ is just a ridiculous weapon off the tee and still easy to launch off the deck in the Max. The 5w was shockingly long and dead straight today as well. I was torn between going Max and Standard, but the added forgiveness and lower leading edge were worth it...even if the face is a little closed. I hit some lasers today. Still had the dreaded double cross creep in on me a few times but overall I’m really pleased with performance. The sound and feel is fantastic!

anyone have any experience on the face bias of the subzero 4 wood, how does it compare to other woods?

I think my Pro 2H might be the most effective club I've owned to date. Versatility is just off the charts for me. Everything I ask that head to do, it will do, and usually with an ease that is shocking. Anyone else out there gaming a Pro hybrid? Haven't seen them mentioned much.

Back