Callaway MAVRIK FW Woods and Hybrids

Could not help myself either picked a a sub zero 5 wood with a handcrafted hazardous yellow shaft. Never actually hit or tested a maverick, but for the price these things are during the black friday sales i fugures what the heck its worth a shot. It was with the real deal handcrafted one at 244. Bargain I would say as these shafts sell for 300 plus. Worst case I can always swap the shaft into another head. Hope this thing lives up to the hype and vibe I have been reading. Now a couple a wedges and my new bag is completed.

My 5 wood face is rusted really bad.

Bonus: No charge for the rust induced added spin ...:)

P.S. Hope they take care of that ...

CPO has a Mav Max 9 Wood and a 9* Mav Max Driver on site-

So was able to sneak in two rounds this weekend. Both with the 3H and my round yesterday with the 4H. Friday was a longer course, so I spent a lot of time with driver in my hand on the tee box. Yesterday however was a tighter course that challenges you with accuracy over length. Think I hit driver three times the entire round. The rest was with these hybrids, even on a couple of par 5s due to the layout.

I already knew the 3H was a weapon off the tee, but the 4H made me nervous as my Rogue 4H was the oldest club in my bag, and one I've come to rely on greatly over the years. Those nerves were unfounded it appears.

Off the tee both of these things are weapons. Temps in the 50s and I was seeing distances as long if not longer than what I usually see in the summer. Other than a few swings that I'd like to have back, I was in the fairway or just off pretty much the whole day. I can see these becoming a go to for me on holes that demand accuracy over distance or just a fallback when the driver decides to take the day off. First hole, I decided to tee off with the 4H and hit it 209 into the wind on my first shot of the morning with no warm up. Pretty much the same all day with both of these off the tee.

Obviously going to have some longer shots off the deck when you're playing that way and these definitely didn't disappoint there either. Not quite as long as off the tee, but that's expected. Smooth swings with the stock Catalyst shaft are rewarded with a penetrating ball flight from both. The 4H being high enough to have some holding power and the 3H rolling out a bit more, but considering it's occupying the 5W spot in my bag I'm completely happy with that.

Hoping the extra distance will gap well with the irons I have on the way. If they made a 2H, I'd be hard pressed not to try and scoop one up. I was sitting on the trade-in shipment for my Rogue hybrids, but they'll be sent out this week now for sure. These are a great incremental update to the Rogues for me and with the CPO deals were an easy choice.

...now if I could just get the 3W to behave. On the fence between reshafting it or just trying to find a better fit elsewhere.

Haven't played in almost a month. Starting to really miss hitting balls. I usually keep a club close by to take practice swings in the house and dream of warmer weather. So far, it's been the Mav SZ 3 wood. So many great shots hit with it this season. Funny thing is it took me a little while before I really started relying on it off the tee on tight holes. Once I realized how versatile it was for flighting up and down, it was my go to. Hit so many towering bombs with this club. Wasn't too many dog legs that I couldn't challenge given how long this club is.

Haven't played in almost a month. Starting to really miss hitting balls. I usually keep a club close by to take practice swings in the house and dream of warmer weather. So far, it's been the Mav SZ 3 wood. So many great shots hit with it this season. Funny thing is it took me a little while before I really started relying on it off the tee on tight holes. Once I realized how versatile it was for flighting up and down, it was my go to. Hit so many towering bombs with this club. Wasn't too many dog legs that I couldn't challenge given how long this club is.
Spring is just around the corner in about 136 days. :eek:

Can anyone confirm that these FWs use normal collared ferrules? I had a few when I reshafted a Rogue FW a ways back but seem to have misplaced them...

CPO has a Mav Max 9 Wood and a 9* Mav Max Driver on site-

Well, I bagged the 9* Driver yesterday and got a 9W on it's way.
I really like going this route EOS - this way I have a way to work with them at Range and if they don't work, I'm out only a percentage in 90 days.

Don't know about the rest of you however I can get a pretty good Idea if something works with 1 range session.

I really like going this route EOS - this way I have a way to work with them at Range and if they don't work, I'm out only a percentage in 90 days.

Don't know about the rest of you however I can get a pretty good Idea if something works with 1 range session.
I generally can. I gave the b21 driver longer than I needed to but knew right away that it wasn't going to work for me.

My swing is still so erratic it usually takes me much longer than that. E.g.: From a demo of a used Ping G SFT 5W, off a mat, I thought it would work well for me. Got it out on the fairway and couldn't make it click. Conversely: Tried a Callaway GBB Epic SZ 9° driver and right away found I couldn't make that thing work for me at all--either off a mat at home or on the course.

I can usually tell if it's worth taking that club to the course or not for sure. In a perfect world I'd dial everything in over a few sessions, but on course performance is king, so I'll usually throw new stuff in the bag for a casual round as soon as possible.

I generally can. I gave the b21 driver longer than I needed to but knew right away that it wasn't going to work for me.

Same here. Way longer...

Read this entire thread, got excited and ordered something I didn't need....
SZ 4-wood with Rogue White 70 S cut down 1/4" headed my way.
Added a standard 9* driver with Rogue White 60 S cut down 1/4" as a bonus!!

I have an X hot 4 hybrid at 22 degrees, and was thinking of changing it out with a Maverick 3 or 4 hybrid. Is this something that I would see a difference in in terms of playability? When comparing x hot to the Maverick line is there a benefit with today's technology over my present hybrid?

I have an X hot 4 hybrid at 22 degrees, and was thinking of changing it out with a Maverick 3 or 4 hybrid. Is this something that I would see a difference in in terms of playability? When comparing x hot to the Maverick line is there a benefit with today's technology over my present hybrid?

I think the biggest benefit is going to be Jailbreak and the AI designed face. Should help you retain more ball speed on mishits. These are a bit stronger lofted in the standard Mavs, so make sure you hit one to see what the gapping looks like for you. These hybrids are rocket launchers. Time will tell if they're as simple straight as my Rogues were, but so far I'm loving the 3/4 combo in my bag. They seem about 5-10 yards longer so far.

It doesn't appear like anyting is on sale at Callaway pre-owned at the moment, at least not for a price I would be interested in, does anybody know when the next sale will be?

It doesn't appear like anyting is on sale at Callaway pre-owned at the moment, at least not for a price I would be interested in, does anybody know when the next sale will be?
Probably closer to Xmas or New Years. Just depends.

They are still giving 30% off once you put a club in the cart..

Last edited:
TBH - I'm glad I grabbed a Driver and FW's when I did - Looks like UPS is going to have quite the Holiday season and I could see shipments getting delayed.

They are still giving 30% off once you put an club in the cart..

This right here. I just confirmed that the Mav hybrid in like new condition was ~$126, which is what I got mine for on the black friday sale.

This right here. I just confirmed that the Mav hybrid in like new condition was ~$126, which is what I got mine for on the black friday sale.
The only thing I've noticed now is that It's free shipping if you spend over $150.
Might have to give "My Guy" a call.....

They are still giving 30% off once you put a club in the cart..
I got to blame you for my recent order, as you were right about the discounts they still have going on. I ordered a Mavrik 4 wood and a Mavrik 4 hybrid. These are some pretty good deals on basically still state-of-art vintage. I always order like new as the differences and price are not that much. I think I am set, at least for a little while, lol.

I got to blame you for my recent order, as you were right about the discounts they still have going on. I ordered a Mavrik 4 wood and a Mavrik 4 hybrid. These are some pretty good deals on basically still state-of-art vintage. I always order like new as the differences and price are not that much. I think I am set, at least for a little while, lol.

Be interested to hear your thoughts on 9w. What was the price up there? Keep contemplating upgrading my 7w and 11w EF.

Back