Callaway MAVRIK FW Woods and Hybrids

With an Apex 4H in route, I sold my Mav 3H and 4H to a buddy who was looking to upgrade. I kept the 5H. I have wanted to move back to a 5i, and with the DCB, I think that was the right move.

Well, almost instantly after selling the 4H (not so much the 3H because I love my Mav Max 5W), I felt regret. I used that club off the tee on 80% of holes during a tournament with that same friend group, coming away the victor. This past Saturday, I played sim golf with the same friend, and he asked to hit my 5H. Turns out it gapped better for him between 5i and 3H than the 4H, so I asked if he wanted to trade. When he said yes, I couldn’t have pulled the 4H out of his bag any faster. Later that day, on the final hole with 235 to the pin, I pulled that 4H (longest club in bag other than driver with fairway woods being refinished) and smoked it, carrying 225, and rolling out to 240. I am so happy to have it back. That Apex will have to blow my mind to beat out the Mavrik 4H.

i tried to put a mavrik standard 3h in play as a tee club and par 5 layup club, but i never got along with it. felt like the spin profile was too low, and it got me in trouble quite often.

but the mavrik pro 4h is insane. i love that club so much. point and shoot. feels amazing. the shape takes a little getting used to, but when the results are consistently good, the confidence kicks in.

Youse guys are a bad influence, you know. @CobraX51 bumps the thread, which makes me decide to catch up from all the way back a year ago. Reading rave reviews about the hybrids. Been thinking of adding a hybrid to bump my 4i with which I don't get along. Look and see like new Mavrik hybrids for nearly half off. Heck, I can't get a fitting for that kind of money.

I now have a Mavrik 4h on order
shake.gif

Youse guys are a bad influence, you know. @CobraX51 bumps the thread, which makes me decide to catch up from all the way back a year ago. Reading rave reviews about the hybrids. Been thinking of adding a hybrid to bump my 4i with which I don't get along. Look and see like new Mavrik hybrids for nearly half off. Heck, I can't get a fitting for that kind of money.

I now have a Mavrik 4h on order
shake.gif
For nearly half off! It’s what sold me. I traded in all of my Rogue hybrids and a couple of other “throw ins” to save a lot more but the pricing was too good to pass up.

Furthermore the “Like New” hybrids were great. The face looked brand now. The crown looks good.

Now the first MavMax “Like New” 3 Wood I got was not “Like New.” Now I understand buying pre owned it isn’t going to be in the plastic but their were 2 bad scuffs/marks on the crown. More like “Good” or “Average.”

In true Callaway fashion they apologized and sent me another “Like New” 3 Wood and told
Me to send that one back. Upon receiving the next one it was in-fact “Like New.” Enjoy the hybrid man!

I actually just got my 3+ Mav Max back - I sent it off to have a Nemsys 75 Four Shaft put in it.
Driver and 3+ have the same type of shafts at different weights.

Furthermore the “Like New” hybrids were great. The face looked brand now. The crown looks good.
Oh, their "like new" stuff is often indistinguishable from new. That was certainly true of my Max Max driver, 5w and 7w. The Odyssey DW putter had a couple nicks in the paint you had to look for to see.

Now the first MavMax “Like New” 3 Wood I got was not “Like New.” Now I understand buying pre owned it isn’t going to be in the plastic but their were 2 bad scuffs/marks on the crown. More like “Good” or “Average.”
That happened to me with my first CPO order: My Max Max driver. When I called my guy, described the condition, and asked "This is `like new?`", he replied that wasn't even "good" and initiated an exchange.

Enjoy the hybrid man!
Thanks.

I'm wondering how it'll gap, though. My guy at CPO insisted that if I was replacing a 4i, a 4h is what I wanted. I'd planned to order a 5h. My fear is the 4h will be too close to my 7w.

I have not been able to hit my old 3 wood any better than my old 5 wood for the last couple years.No big deal,I just hit the 5 wood.Well about a month ago one of my playing partners had a Mavrik 3 wood that he let me hit a couple times.I loved it and hit it well .So I ordered one from CPO in the same shaft and specs.I have only used it 2 rounds but so far its great.

I had several shots with the SZ 3&5W's today. These fairways are still performing great for me. Easy to hit and workable when needed. I can use both off the tee when needed.

Well I just HAD to swing these clubs yesterday.

Started with wedges and irons and got up to the 4 hybrid. It was ok. I liked it, definitely want to tune up my swing which will happen over the next few weeks with some lessons lined up, but I did like it, and the regular Flex felt fine...Looking forward to using these hybrids...

But let's get to the MavMax 3wood...I only hit off a tee because it's been years since I've swung a FW and just wanted to make contact. When they say this launches high, this launches HIGH, I'm talking Pitching Wedge high. Like a few times I was just like holy sh!t, but in a great way.

No hooks with the Max despite at address you can easily see the draw bias and maybe the thought of hooks could creep into your mind. Not the case yesterday. The dimples from the golf ball were primarily heel and center, and the heel shots weren't bad at all, it still went straight.

If this thing is made to go high and straight, then this thing goes high and straight. Looking forward to getting a lesson this Saturday or next Saturday with striking it off the deck!

Started with wedges and irons and got up to the 4 hybrid. It was ok. I liked it, definitely want to tune up my swing which will happen over the next few weeks with some lessons lined up, but I did like it, and the regular Flex felt fine...Looking forward to using these hybrids...

But let's get to the MavMax 3wood...I only hit off a tee because it's been years since I've swung a FW and just wanted to make contact. When they say this launches high, this launches HIGH, I'm talking Pitching Wedge high. Like a few times I was just like holy sh!t, but in a great way.

No hooks with the Max despite at address you can easily see the draw bias and maybe the thought of hooks could creep into your mind. Not the case yesterday. The dimples from the golf ball were primarily heel and center, and the heel shots weren't bad at all, it still went straight.

If this thing is made to go high and straight, then this thing goes high and straight. Looking forward to getting a lesson this Saturday or next Saturday with striking it off the deck!
I found the Riptide shaft launches high for me. Like "make it rain high"

Glad these are working out for you! I'm still 100% committed to my hybrids. Might make a shaft change if the fitter recommends it but I can't see any reason to even try anything else. Standard 3W is curing in the basement right now. Going to get it trimmed and gripped for my first round of the year this weekend. Hoping it's the same experience.

I could not for the life of me get along with that shaft. It's a crowd-pleaser though, so I'm sure it's me. Luckily the HZRDUS Yellow works well enough. :D

I started with the Mavrik Max 5 Wood and it does launch high. I had never carried a five wood before. I started using it in spots to cut corners or go over trees i would have used a six or seven iron to go over in the past and it is so easy to hit. Great distance as well. I have always struggled with consistency off the turf with a three wood particularly getting it up in the air. After getting the five wood i added a three wood hoping it would be as good. It was. Incredible , easy to launch and easy to hit straight extremely forgiving and yes long. Have the stock Riptide shafts in both and love them. With all the new equipment this year i wont even look at fairway woods i am so happy with these.

Last edited:
I didn't even factor in the shaft aspect of it. I was very happy needless to say.

Now on the flip side. Into some headwind do I want to be hitting it this high? Nah of course not. But that's something I will work on down the road, a lot further down the road. Right now it's just nice to have a FW in the bag and a fun time hitting it on Day 1, albeit off a tee.

Looking at getting a 3W and a 7W, anyone have any experience/luck with the Max 7W?

I have joined the Mavrik fairway ranks and this Mavrik 3 wood is loooong.
FBCAE2CC-3649-4E16-B5DD-39E5CCDF52F3.jpeg

I suspect I'm eventually going to want a Mav Max 3w. And possibly a Mav 5h. And... :ROFLMAO:

I suspect I'm eventually going to want a Mav Max 3w. And possibly a Mav 5h. And... :ROFLMAO:
Yup I added the 3 wood yesterday and I feel like I probably need a 5 and a 7, forget hybrids!

Yup I added the 3 wood yesterday and I feel like I probably need a 5 and a 7, forget hybrids!
I already have the 5 and 7. I snagged the 4h because the price was too good to pass up and I struggle with my 4i.

They hybrids are pretty beastly as well. Definitely worth a look if you need an iron replacement.

Let’s ignore how many fairways over this 3 wood landed and appreciate the fact that it would have been the fastest ball speed in my driver fitting.
1E394DA0-C8A9-4D31-8B7B-07DF6FEA70FF.jpeg

One thing I really like about the Sub Zero fairways is how easy I can it a draw when needed with them. I hit a 3W today from 230, it landed on the down slope of the fairway and got a good kick forward and got back up the hill to the front edge of the green.
I am still considering a 3+ as a driver substitute. These fairways are just to good and to easy to hit and launch. The stock Riptide shaft in these is a perfect pairing.

Only hit my 3W once this weekend, off the deck. Going for a par 5 in two. Got caught up in a small pond of casual water due to all the rain but the distance was there. Nice to see that it's as much a rocket launcher as the rest of the line. Hybrids continue to perform. No complaints with either at this point.

My buddy picked up a Mav 5w off CPO. Looked brand new. His first two swings with it last night were 225 carry/243 total, and 224 carry/244 total. He’s very happy with the purchase, which cost him $75 after trading in a well-used Rogue.

Last edited:
Back