Callaway MAVRIK FW Woods and Hybrids

interesting...

I think I hit the standard hybrid, but I really don't remember. I remember my experience with the Pro and I absolutely loved it. Just wasn't seeing enough distance out of it.
That makes me want to hit the pro post review hahaha, I’m a big want my hybrid to gap like irons guy. Hitting a 235 yard 4h has been fun, but, not really fitting into my 5u lol

That makes me want to hit the pro post review hahaha, I’m a big want my hybrid to gap like irons guy. Hitting a 235 yard 4h has been fun, but, not really fitting into my 5u lol

it felt really soft but solid. launched higher. spun more. was super consistent. but we needed about 10 extra yards over what we were seeing, and the super hybrid made more sense.

it felt really soft but solid. launched higher. spun more. was super consistent. but we needed about 10 extra yards over what we were seeing, and the super hybrid made more sense.
You had me at more launch and spin. :LOL:

Thinking I won't be able to hit this line for about a month or so; question for those that have seen/hit the Max particularly.

I'm looking for a club that will help with thin strikes. I can top a fairway with the best of them, and nothing can save me there. But on thin shots that honestly are ankle-high rockets, will the Max's design low on the face help? Also, honestly my strikes are usually ok off on the tee, but can stray toe side. With the additional heft, should there be a noticeable ball speed / forgiveness increase there?

Currently playing an older 915f 4 wood, but looking specifically at the Max 3 wood.

You had me at more launch and spin. :LOL:

I was pretty shocked that we couldn't get it to gap correctly because it seemed to make so much sense for my needs. And when Gerritt gave me the Super Hybrid instead, it kinda blew my mind because that's like the opposite of what I expected. But it's been working pretty well.

Thinking I won't be able to hit this line for about a month or so; question for those that have seen/hit the Max particularly.

I'm looking for a club that will help with thin strikes. I can top a fairway with the best of them, and nothing can save me there. But on thin shots that honestly are ankle-high rockets, will the Max's design low on the face help? Also, honestly my strikes are usually ok off on the tee, but can stray toe side. With the additional heft, should there be a noticeable ball speed / forgiveness increase there?

Currently playing an older 915f 4 wood, but looking specifically at the Max 3 wood.

I would say the max has a higher-than-normal flight off the bottom of the face. high? no. but not the low bullets many other woods produce with that miss. I never spent time with the ef sz fw, which I understood to be pretty great off the bottom also.

Hmm, this might be what I need in my 3 hybrid spot.

Hmm, this might be what I need in my 3 hybrid spot.

it's like reason #49 why people need to get fit into this lineup. who would have thought the pro version would launch higher than the standard model? not this guy. I guess I should clarify that this was specific to me. a guy like @bigskyirish ended up getting fit into the pro hybrid, and he doesn't usually need additional launch or spin.

it's like reason #49 why people need to get fit into this lineup. who would have thought the pro version would launch higher than the standard model? not this guy. I guess I should clarify that this was specific to me. a guy like @bigskyirish ended up getting fit into the pro hybrid, and he doesn't usually need additional launch or spin.

We went straight to the Pro because I've always played an 18* and I liked the profile. We never even tried the Super Hybrid, but maybe we should have. That said, there hasn't been anything about the Pro I don't like so far with the caveat that I probably won't be able to get a good gauge of how far I can hit it until spring.

Now that product is starting to get in the hands of THPers, I am really interested in hearing everyone's thoughts. Any early adopters get out and try these yet?

It is currently below freezing with 3" of snow on the ground... So my 3W is just collecting dust :(

We went straight to the Pro because I've always played an 18* and I liked the profile. We never even tried the Super Hybrid, but maybe we should have. That said, there hasn't been anything about the Pro I don't like so far with the caveat that I probably won't be able to get a good gauge of how far I can hit it until spring.

man, I bet you would absolutely obliterate the super hybrid. do you feel like the pro hybrid launches high and spins a bit?

man, I bet you would absolutely obliterate the super hybrid. do you feel like the pro hybrid launches high and spins a bit?

Honestly, I'm not sure I've hit it enough to say.

Honestly, I don't think I've hit it enough to say for sure. I don't remember thinking it launched too high. As far as spin, here are three shots I can remember with it:

1. I choked down a little and hit it from 200-ish on a Par 3. It stopped dead on the green. So that's not a very long shot and a lot of stopping power, but it was also dead into the wind in the pouring rain, so I'm not sure that's all that helpful.

2. On the nice day at the Hideaway, I hit it for my second shot on a Par 5. I don't remember the distance, but I expected to get there. It was kind of a blind shot and I was surprised that I came up short because I thought I hit it really well. That said, the fairways were still very soft from the day before and I didn't see how it landed. So that's a shot that could suggest that it spun a bit too much and didn't carry as far as I expected, but I can't say for sure.

3. At home, I hit it into a Par 3 from about 190 into a legitimate 30-35 mph wind. It was blowing hard enough that I considered hitting 3-wood. But it turned out that the hybrid was too much and flew the green. So that would suggest that I was seeing pretty good distance out of it and there wasn't too much spin.

Bottom line is that I don't know quite yet. I completely agree with you that it is solid and flies true, but I'm just not sure on spin/distance yet. Fortunately, the weather gods have decided to pay us back a little bit for the sheer misery of last year and I'm going to try to play this weekend. So hopefully I'll get a chance to use it a little bit out on the course.

Honestly, I'm not sure I've hit it enough to say.

Honestly, I don't think I've hit it enough to say for sure. I don't remember thinking it launched too high. As far as spin, here are three shots I can remember with it:

1. I choked down a little and hit it from 200-ish on a Par 3. It stopped dead on the green. So that's not a very long shot and a lot of stopping power, but it was also dead into the wind in the pouring rain, so I'm not sure that's all that helpful.

2. On the nice day at the Hideaway, I hit it for my second shot on a Par 5. I don't remember the distance, but I expected to get there. It was kind of a blind shot and I was surprised that I came up short because I thought I hit it really well. That said, the fairways were still very soft from the day before and I didn't see how it landed. So that's a shot that could suggest that it spun a bit too much and didn't carry as far as I expected, but I can't say for sure.

3. At home, I hit it into a Par 3 from about 190 into a legitimate 30-35 mph wind. It was blowing hard enough that I considered hitting 3-wood. But it turned out that the hybrid was too much and flew the green. So that would suggest that I was seeing pretty good distance out of it and there wasn't too much spin.

Bottom line is that I don't know quite yet. I completely agree with you that it is solid and flies true, but I'm just not sure on spin/distance yet. Fortunately, the weather gods have decided to pay us back a little bit for the sheer misery of last year and I'm going to try to play this weekend. So hopefully I'll get a chance to use it a little bit out on the course.

I think the problem is you're just not very good. I mean, you're a 0.1. Get to plus or GTFO. :ROFLMAO:

I think the problem is you're just not very good. I mean, you're a 0.1. Get to plus or GTFO. :ROFLMAO:

I wish. The new equipment should help though, that's for sure.

I ordered the Max 3W,HW,9W. Got the 3W & HW yesterday, the 9W should arrive next week

I ordered the Max 3W,HW,9W. Got the 3W & HW yesterday, the 9W should arrive next week

Can't wait to hear what you think about the HW! I was hoping to hit mine tomorrow for the first time, but a sore rotator cuff may prevent that.

This is likely the one that will unseat my '17 Epic SZ 3+. Rouge and Flash couldn't unseat it because Rogue was way too hook prone and EFSZ provided basically the same numbers but sounded worse and would've required opening my wallet. I did a quick demo compare a few days ago. All they had to demo in 3W the was a standard Mavrik 15* 3W with the 70g Riptide Stiff but I came away very impressed despite it not being exactly the config that might suit me best? Their retail stock is probably out now, there and at my course, so I should be able to try out the 13.5* and 15* SZ as well as the 13.5* standard in the near future but the one I did hit absolutely wowed me in that quick compare.

For reference I hit the 15* Mavrik against my ESZ gamer 13.5* (22g weight forward) and a demo EFSZ 15* (HWF). Short test due to time, 5 balls each off a short tee. Mavrik gave me driver-esque ball speeds and 13 yards more (on average) than than my gamer and Mavrik also bested EFSZ by 15 yards (again only 5 shots). What stood out more than that was how much more consistent the spin was and that I averaged 1.50 smash with a 3W!? WTF?! (for reference I was also hitting my gamer decent too, 1.47SF, and saw distance results similar to what I get at the course)

EFSZ was straightest and offered the smallest dispersion oval but all three heads provided playable results. Mavrik was a little more left prone though (my miss is left), and 2/5 would've been a little left of fairway. The ability to deloft my ESZ when lefts get bad is what I like most about it's adjustable hosel, but I'm thinking maybe the Rogue White shaft might help? Maybe the 13.5* standard Mavrik head? Maybe the Mav SZ in 13.5 or 15 with one of those shaft will attenuate lefts some? Mavrik definitely impressed me enough to try to figure it all out.

I know the GD guys didn't have hours to test FWW at ECPC but any of you who hit both shafts and/or the SZ to standard 3W or 3W+ could you share what you saw?

Last edited:
I'm so disappointed! I've been thinking about putting a 3W back in my bag, I took it out 2 years ago because I couldn't hit it well. Went to PGASS today and still can't hit a 3W. My Rogue 5W beat it by 20 yards+. So since I didn't by the 3W I decided to see what the Mavrik driver could do. Nope, not for me. Only increased distance by about 3 yards and my disbursement with my Epic Flash was better. Maybe I'll see about a replacement for my HW.:)

I'm so disappointed! I've been thinking about putting a 3W back in my bag, I took it out 2 years ago because I couldn't hit it well. Went to PGASS today and still can't hit a 3W. My Rogue 5W beat it by 20 yards+. So since I didn't by the 3W I decided to see what the Mavrik driver could do. Nope, not for me. Only increased distance by about 3 yards and my disbursement with my Epic Flash was better. Maybe I'll see about a replacement for my HW.:)
Glad you tried it and now you know. Where you able to use your shaft for testing?

I bought a Mavrik SZ 4w today. I tried the standard 3w, 4w, and Sub Zero 4w, and of the three, it was lights out solid. I hit about 14 shots with it, half off the deck and even there I was seeing very similar flight and carry to a teed ball. It was kind of a tough call between the 3w and 4w SZ, as I think I would enjoy the 3w as well and more raw distance potential is there if I am swinging better. But something about how solid the SZ 4w was won the day. I was able to fade and draw the ball off the deck as desired, and hitting 30y peak heights while shaping shots is kind of a big ask most days. Fun test session.

IMG_5684.jpg

Was ghosting the Mavrik line again today...they nize....

did you try the max 5w? i had the rogue 5w and really liked it, but this max 5w is so stinking good!

Back