Callaway MAVRIK FW Woods and Hybrids

Just got to see the mavrik SZ 4 wood and it is the leader in the club house for me in terms of look and setup. Me thinks...it will find a way to my bag. Thinking I would go with the Rogue 80g in stiff and 1/4” or 1/2” short.

I have both. I’m working to get some data between the two next week. Visually they look the same but with the 3+ in 13.5 loft. The + should fit my gapping better.

That’s they way I’m leaning too.

Played a round today. The star for me was the heaven wood. So easy to hit and gives a nice towering ball flight for me. Struggled a bit with the 3w to begin with, but started to hit it better towards the end of the round

Did anyone get fitted for the Heavenwood at the Grandaddy? And those playing 7W (or thinking of playing it) how did you decide between 7W vs HW?

I didn’t specifically discuss the HW with my fitter. When talking about woods, he thought it would be just fine going 3w, 5w, 7w.

I didn’t specifically discuss the HW with my fitter. When talking about woods, he thought it would be just fine going 3w, 5w, 7w.

I have the V series HW and initially loved it, but as my swing improved I started to hook it - a lot. The Cobra 5W is a star for me - goes as long as the 3W and much more consistent, so I think I could also see myself going 3W, 5W, 7W eventually vs HW and a hybrid. Lots of stuff to consider. Definitely going to involve a fitting. :unsure:

I’m in love with my max 5w with ventus red 7s shaft. It is so easy and powerful. Going to be a weapon this year and, thus far, is the star of lineup for me. I urge everyone on the fence to try this thing out. It sits a bit shut but I have yet to hook one off the planet.

This excites me. I Love thinking about being confident to go for greens from distance with a club like this. I figure either the Max or the standard 5W will make it into the bag eventually.

I didn't get fitted for it as the 4H made a better gap for me. I will get one though as I enjoy fairways better than hybrids. @tomcat got fitted for a 7W i believe.

Did you game a 7W prior to the Grandaddy? I can't recall.

I kind of did. But my fitter couldn’t find one and I ran out of time. But we talked it through, and he liked it better than a 5w for me just for the extra loft.

I’ve played a HW in the v-series, Rogue, Epic Flash, and now Mavrik, so I’m also very comfortable with one.

A HW is bigger and longer than a 7w. It’s more of a 5w/3H/3i replacement. A 7w is more of a 4H/4i replacement and usually gaps well with a 5w. A 5w and Hw may likely be redundant.

Thanks. I guess it will depend on what the longer woods are going to be. Seems like I will need to spend some time hitting everything from 3+, 3W, 4W and see what works best, then control the yardage gaps from there down.

OR, start with my 5 iron and work on yardage gaps to fill out the rest of the woods. As I'm thinking about it, this probably makes more sense. I'm open to suggestions/opinions/smart remarks...

Fwiw, the ONLY time I’ve gotten an order where SW was hit on the nose was by calling in to either make the order (even through preowned after a trade) or after the order is placed and having them make notes. When I’ve done that, I’m 3/3, otherwise, not so good.
Sounds like I’ll have to call in the trade and place the order. Why they’d make a 5W 42.75” is beyond my comprehension. Oh, well...

I haven't been to our facility yet but when I've been to others it seems like most people use the clubs there. I'll end up bringing mine with me I'm sure.
I always take my own clubs and my 7 yr old daughter carries her little bag. Not really going there for the gourmet menu ? (although the food is nice).

Reactions: KEV
Brought my HW along for my lesson today. My fairway wood swing has been my weak spot for the entire past year. I have a bad habit of failing to get to my right side, and then I release the club way too early, slamming it shut at impact. I definitely saw some of that again today, but when I put a decent swing on the HW... WOW. So easy to launch. I saw some 30yd peak heights which is high for me, as I tend to be a low ball hitter. The HW definitely looks pretty big at address, but man is it fun and easy to hit.

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered but is it safe to assume the lie angles on the Mav SZ FWW are likely about a degree flatter than the Mav standard (in same lofts)? For some reason the lie angles for the SZ version of the FWWs was left off the spec sheet on Callaway's website? They list lie angles for everything else.

First time out with the heavenwood. I only had a couple of times where it was needed and crappy swing aside, when I caught it, the club sends the ball on a nice trajectory. I’m still getting used to the larger look address compared to the Epic Flash Hw, but it’s a weapon at that slot of my bag.

Anyone happen to know if customs paint fill options will come to the FWs?

I have one “gripe” if you will with the fairways after continuing to work with the 5w (standard) for the homepage.

How would I ever gap/slot these in the bag? I’m joking, but a little serious too. A 5w with 152 ball speed is fun, but it’s essentially a 3w for me now. That then makes me wonder, can I in fact get the 3w to driver speeds for me? ???

What a wild thing, and what a story that needs way more attention because they said they wanted driver CT on them, and danger if it isn’t exactly what I’ve seen.

Mix in playability off the deck when I want to really go down after one and 5w might make traditionally lofted 3w inconsequential in the bag and necessitate a 13.5 loft there.

Crazy.:oops:?

At least right now, the 5w has replaced my 3w, since I rarely play 3 off the tee.

At least right now, the 5w has replaced my 3w, since I rarely play 3 off the tee.
And for most ams, that will be the case and a good thing. For others it almost necessitates a 3+ if you want to carry two fairways.

I have one “gripe” if you will with the fairways after continuing to work with the 5w (standard) for the homepage.

How would I ever gap/slot these in the bag? I’m joking, but a little serious too. A 5w with 152 ball speed is fun, but it’s essentially a 3w for me now. That then makes me wonder, can I in fact get the 3w to driver speeds for me? ???

What a wild thing, and what a story that needs way more attention because they said they wanted driver CT on them, and danger if it isn’t exactly what I’ve seen.

Mix in playability off the deck when I want to really go down after one and 5w might make traditionally lofted 3w inconsequential in the bag and necessitate a 13.5 loft there.

That's the exact reason I haven't been tempted to replace my 5 wood with one. I would almost have to go 4 or 7 wood to really replace the 5 wood yardage.

That's the exact reason I haven't been tempted to replace my 5 wood with one. I would almost have to go 4 or 7 wood to really replace the 5 wood yardage.
I think I’d go 3+ and HW to be honest based on how I like 3w to be mostly tee and the other to be on deck/tee versatility.

I think I’d go 3+ and HW to be honest based on how I like 3w to be mostly tee and the other to be on deck/tee versatility.
Have you compared the 5W to the Superhybrid?

I kinda had this moment, and yeah, I kinda don't know what to do about it. I was thinking stronger 3w and maybe a 17* Superhybrid, but more testing needed. The 3w and SZ 4w were so long for me that although I didn't hit the 3+, I do question if I would consistently hit it better. And if I actually could, it would be creeping right up on driver. The 4w is already within 15-20 yds of Driver. I keep trying to blast myself out of my 4w -3h pattern, but darned if it doesn't makes sense. Mav SZ 4w will have an opportunity at being my one size fits all occasions FW.

it’s a very interesting time we are in, technologically. i was watching the golf coverage yesterday, and the pros were putting up ball speeds in the high 160s with their 3w. 168 ball speed with a 3w is incredible. but that’s where we are.

i love the idea of a shorter club with more loft (i.e. forgiveness) replacing a 3w. for gapping, maybe a standard 3h, then a standard 4i.

it’s a very interesting time we are in, technologically. i was watching the golf coverage yesterday, and the pros were putting up ball speeds in the high 160s with their 3w. 168 ball speed with a 3w is incredible. but that’s where we are.

i love the idea of a shorter club with more loft (i.e. forgiveness) replacing a 3w. for gapping, maybe a standard 3h, then a standard 4i.
It’s a big reason the driver distance numbers on tour haven’t changed imo, the shorter guys are having to hit more drivers, the longest though are hitting 3w as far as those guys with less of a need to bang driver all the time.

These kinds of clubs with these kinds of ball speeds have the potential to be absolute weapons.

At the ECPC, I ran out of time and wasn't able to hit any fairway woods. I talked through what I usually play, and based on my other swings, my fitter recommended a standard 3W and a Max HW, both with Riptide shafts. Today I finally got to put these--and the Max 5W--through the paces. And my mind is absolutely blown.

This first image is my first ever swing with my new 3W, which was teed up:

nrarok3ASkOKDUXUVhtjlg.jpg

Holy. Crap. Nearly 139 ball speed. For those wondering, my driver usually tops out around 144-145 ball speed. That was a bomb for me, and while it was my best strike, I had a couple others carry in that neighborhood too, including the next swing:

gP8zgSHqT5qjH323QBKYVg.jpg

Next up: Heavenwood off the deck. And WOW. The first image is from my best strike in my first round, while the second is the last swing I took today (NOTE: ignore the Trackman club selections identified; I only had it set to 4h and 3w all day, despite hitting many other clubs).

sdxbVksiQ22HF9LTjQzsgA.jpg
J1dkUCR6RyG0Yvs6Bg6l4g.jpg

These two were LONG for me. Usually if the green is more than 230 out on a Par 5, I lay up. I guess I have a little extra distance now. And what I loved to see was the peak height of 85 feet, which is higher than I usually hit either my Rogue or Epic Flash Heavenwoods. This Mavrik is 10 yards longer for me on pure strikes too.

For fun, I thought I'd hit the Max 5W, because my teammates have raved about it. My GG guy taped one up, and I have a side-by-side below. It's just a little shorter front to back than the HW, and just a touch shorter in the shaft.

fullsizeoutput_3fe.jpeg

I could not believe how consistent I was with the 5W. While it wasn't quite as long as the HW, it was still LONG, and I saw unbelievably repeatable results for me--a high handicapper.

Pj4+kW4FQTi9GmDhJl0abw.jpgLmzZXcUGSWWdFzIUwu0G0Q.jpgDVMCpQEdSiu%1OeMXVqxyg.jpgyZoHcks1T%CNtXs+fR5F%A.jpg

As eye-opening as the HW results were, I was pretty blown away by the 5W too. Like the HW, it was super easy for me to launch, and I'm generally a low launch/low spin player. But for whatever reason (perhaps the slightly smaller footprint or shorter shaft), I hit it more consistently than I did the HW.

I am in LOVE with my driver, but now I see why lots of people have called these the star of the show.

Attachments

• K+Qiax19STin6ne7oT6ydg.jpg
    K+Qiax19STin6ne7oT6ydg.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Hey Grandaddy crew....

Anyone at the big show get to hit Super Hybrid vs one of the higher lofted fairways here? I'm positive I'm skimming, but, so be it.

Back