Callaway MAVRIK FW Woods and Hybrids

It’s funny, I watched one super popular video “review” on the three fairways and the things being said about each mode in terms of not so correct preconceptions was pretty mind blowing.

Oh this is the max, so it’s going to go hard left and spin a lot more, it’s also got more loft so it’ll be an issue.

Excuse me?

@GolfFest what shaft you thinking?

Hzrdus smoke black 80. Same as in my 816 right now. I really wish these were adjustable so I could try different options. Just have to go with best guess.

It’s funny, I watched one super popular video “review” on the three fairways and the things being said about each mode in terms of not so correct preconceptions was pretty mind blowing.

Oh this is the max, so it’s going to go hard left and spin a lot more, it’s also got more loft so it’ll be an issue.

Excuse me?
What is the main difference between the 3 lines?

TGW offers at least a dozen shafts with the Mavrik,
and none of them are the Fujikura Vista Pro 65 that I know I can hit.

The 16.5 or 18 would fill the "longer fairway wood" slot in my bag beautifully,
but I wish the Sub Zero (model with flatter lie angles) offered a high loft metal (21 to 23º) as well.
The Max model is a bit too upright for me. I'd have to go too short on length.

Last edited:
Haha thanks guess i should have started reading this thread from page 1 :D
No worries! I hope it helps, and if not, definitely ask away for clarification!

TGW offers at least a dozen shafts with the Mavrik,
and none of them are the Fujikura Vista Pro 65 that I know I can hit.

The 16.5 or 18 would fill the "longer fairway wood" slot in my bag beautifully,
but I wish the Sub Zero (model with flatter lie angles) offered a high loft metal (21 to 23º) as well.
The Max model is a bit too upright for me. I'd have to go too short on length.
They can be ordered with a flatter lie angle from Callaway. They can bend them. Unless you need to bend it a lot flatter than allowed, they should be able to accommodate.

radiman I think you made your point.???;)

Yesterday with the 3+ Max is legit altering my 2020 top of bag setup.

Should have listened to @JB months ago that the Max was going to shock and awe.

radiman I think you made your point.???;)
Haha. I was trying to post from my phone. It wouldn't do anything. Jumped over to desktop and posted the draft. Closed the tab on my phone, but apparently it went through after all.

Order placed. Decided to go with standard 4W, 3/4" short with 80g hzrdus smoke.

Just picked up the Max 5 wood to go with 3+ Max ....my game is getting a whole lot easier!!

I got to put some work in with my 4H yesterday, and I'm impressed. I don't generally love hybrids because I come in too shallow with them, so I don't get a ton of spin. Worked on some mechanics with the coach, and all of a sudden I was seeing literally double the spin and great peak heights. And well struck balls felt GREAT. Very explosive face.

That 5w is so unbelievably easy to hit.

I'd think that anyone out there that's shopping for a fairway, just needs to read through this thread. I can't remember how many different people have made that exact same statement.

It's can't just be marketing hype, when this many people are singing the praises of a club, over and over.

I'd think that anyone out there that's shopping for a fairway, just needs to read through this thread. I can't remember how many different people have made that exact same statement.

It's can't just be marketing hype, when this many people are singing the praises of a club, over and over.

And I had gone away from playing 5Ws in favor of HWs a few years back, but I'd gladly play either of these. I get a little extra carry with the HW (4-5 yards), but the total distances are very similar. Just so, so impressed with the Max line.

Order placed. Decided to go with standard 4W, 3/4" short with 80g hzrdus smoke.

Great choice. I went with 4w too, in SZ. Love me some 4w.

I was struggling a bit with my max 3 wood for a bit and ended up using my HW for most shots. However was at the range last night and finally sorted my 3 wood out and was hitting bombs with it. Got to say I love the sound it makes when you connect, it's a satisfying whack . Hoping to get a game tomorrow morning as we have a storm coming in with 80 to 90 mph wind gusts which should be fun. :eek:

Due to the kids having a basketball tourney this weekend no play for me but the new 5w I picked up this week was calling my name. So after I dropped the kids off at school I ran to the driving range.

Man is the 5w easy to hit and long. Went with the Riptide 5.5 60 gram and feel that a mid size grip will get the weight closer to my liking, I like my woods a little on the heavy side.

Our range maxes out at 230 uphill and is literally a driver and 58 wedge from the ocean. It was a mild 43 degrees when I got there. Basically not distance weather and elevation but was still managing to 2 hop against the net, which is where my average 3 wood goes. Was able to move the ball fairly easy in both directions and a normal just hitting not working the ball gave me a nice 5 yard fade. All shots where off a mat and no tee.

I struggle with consistent contact with a 3w so if today is any inclination of the distance and consistency, the 5w and I are going to get along just fine.

i really liked my rogue 5w except for the wild lefts i would get from time to time. but this mav max 5w is just bonkers.

I am a big fan of my 5FW. It has been one of my most consistent hitters. If you say the mavrik max is bonkers. Can’t wait to get my hands on one.

So. Thoughts?

Let’s go MAVRIK hybrid first, shall we?

1) Setup - I have the standard in for review of the hybrids and while I’m most curious about the Pro and the return of the X2hot face shape, this one is exciting because I also reviewed the Flash in the 4h for the homepage (shameless plug, check it out :p). Mine is paired with the catalyst 75 in 6.0.

2) Looks - It’s a nice overall shape if you’re a square toe Callaway fan, it’s what we have come to expect from them in hybrids honestly. Little deeper front to back, but not crazy big. Does set up neutral to ever so slightly closed to my eye. It’s a simple look here, jailbreak and carbon is there, but it’s a straight forward aesthetic really. No HC so I can’t comment there.

3) Flight and Distance - This, I hit well my couple days before vacay. High and long, maybe as long as the Flash was for me which was frankly bordering on stupid. While the distance monster hybrids aren’t my preference in the bag, I can admit no one is putting up the distance in hybos that Callaway is. By eye test, flight is definitely above my 30y preference, and easily so. Versatility to be determined but it elevated well off the deck too. Miss was left, but, small sample so I’ll come back to that as we go. Hope for monitor time this week sometime.

4) Sound/Feel - Better than flash. Flash hybo was sharp and harsh imo, my only real knock against it. This is still on the sharp side but it’s more a feedback of power and not “what was that?” From your playing partners. Shockingly didn’t explore the face with this one yet, but be assured I will haha.

More soon!

I leave you with a pic!

So Jman, what was the key difference between the EF 4H and the Mavrik 4H? Given distance was almost the same.

My 3W and Pro 2H have been burning a hole in my bag since they showed up and tomorrow looks like the only decent weather day for a while here. Going to have to hit the gym early and get out there with them.

I switched my order to the standard 3W from the Sub Zero, and only hit one Riptide setup in testing so really want to see what the combo has. And I didn't even test a hybrid, so I might have to hit 8 irons off a couple tees or replay the par 5's to get some swings with it. Never had a swing with a KBS Proto before either.

Back