Callaway MAVRIK FW Woods and Hybrids

To me the fixed hosel stopped me before I even got started.....can’t easily play with other shafts....without going to the pro shaft and put another one on. Move along nothing to see here.

so because you prefer to tinker instead of getting fit, you say “move along nothing to see here”?

so because you prefer to tinker instead of getting fit, you say “move along nothing to see here”?

Getting fit only accounts for the period when you get fit. Do not tell me that your game does not change for the better or for worse. If you gain a few more speed in your swing, or you change your swing......you adjust your equipment accordingly. This is one of the reason folks try out different shafts to account for these changes. Yes, you guessed it, with a non-fixed hosel.....you can easily fine tune your choices of shafts.

Getting fit is great.....but if the fitter said......you need a new shaft.........

Getting fit only accounts for the period when you get fit. Do not tell me that your game does not change for the better or for worse. If you gain a few more speed in your swing, or you change your swing......you adjust your equipment accordingly. This is one of the reason folks try out different shafts to account for these changes. Yes, you guessed it, with a non-fixed hosel.....you can easily fine tune your choices of shafts.

Getting fit is great.....but if the fitter said......you need a new shaft.........

Oh so you mean buying first then getting fit? I don’t quite understand the scenario given most people get fit prior to purchasing clubs and then stay with that club until there is a sizable difference in either performance or swing.

Excuse my ignorance, what performance gain was achieved by this weight savings or weight relocation ?
Another thing beyond what some of the guys have posted, club design is a battle for grams and fractions of grams. With the Mav lines built so much on speed it’s allowed a shifting of mass in the head that could be done the same if an adapter was in play when it comes to the fairways and hybrids.

I will be honest and say that the bonded shaft kinda scares me. I realize getting fit is the right answer but not always practical for some of us depending on where we live. The option to swap out shafts is a bonus but once I have one that works I don’t touch the settings. The sub zero 4 wood really has me pondering, I have been playing the big Bertha alpha 816 16* opened up to 15* since it’s release so it’s time for an upgrade, the other fairway that I plan to test is the SIM TI 15*so any comparisons would be appreciated

Is there any benefit design wise that these aren’t adjustable?

absolutely. weight savings. the sleeves are not lightweight. so the altering of weight distribution forces the engineers to offset with potentially less effective weight placement. if you go bonded, it’s far less weight and frees up the engineers to be more precise with the weight placement.

i like adjustable if you have golf shafts you want to easily switch in. but honestly after a quality fitting i’m not sure why adjustments are necessary. i suppose some would say “because i want to” and that’s fine, but for me i would prefer to know the internal engineering is at its most effective.

I will be honest and say that the bonded shaft kinda scares me. I realize getting fit is the right answer but not always practical for some of us depending on where we live. The option to swap out shafts is a bonus but once I have one that works I don’t touch the settings. The sub zero 4 wood really has me pondering, I have been playing the big Bertha alpha 816 16* opened up to 15* since it’s release so it’s time for an upgrade, the other fairway that I plan to test is the SIM TI 15*so any comparisons would be appreciated
Man, I so understand the struggle of trying to find the perfect combo when there is no real fitting option available.

What I would say is, if that's the case, you'd be best served going with a shaft you've previously had success with.

Reactions: MH
Man, I so understand the struggle of trying to find the perfect combo when there is no real fitting option available.

What I would say is, if that's the case, you'd be best served going with a shaft you've previously had success with.

That’s what I had to do, pick a shaft I know I’ve liked before.

I was able to hit a demo club first, but couldn’t try any shaft options so it is just guessing and hoping.

Has anyone ordered the 80g Aldila Rogue white in their fw? Think I’m gonna go with that in a 4 wood.

Hit my longest 3W SZ shot today on the #6 Par 5 hole. Second shot, 235y to pin and the ball finished pin high about 4 yards left of the green. Nice chip and one putt for birdie.
The guy I was playing with just kinda looked at me like how??!!!
If I can learn to trust the draw a bit more I will be hitting that green and putting for eagle.
I did use this once off the tee today on a tighter hole that rewards accuracy and put it down the right side of the fairway for a great approach to the green.
Biggest decision I have to make now is to continue to use the regular 3W with the Aldila shaft or got with the 3+ with the Riptide shaft. Both great shafts and feel great, the Aldila feels just the slightest bit softer to me.

I happened to hit my best with my 3W standard today too. Was hurting today so I tried to take it easy, and my driver shaft was getting the better of me just a little because of it. Only took a little adjustment for today, but shortly after I figured that out I said to my wife, 'You know, I could probably hit that Riptide with this swing'. 259 left to a par 5, tight lie, and hit a beauty. Pin high on a line. Didn't expect to get there, but it hit at 255 and sat down. Blew my mind. It was the exact trajectory that made me chose the standard over the SZ when I tested them. Definitely got me excited again for that club.

Missed the eagle putt, btw. :p

Last edited:
Is anyone playing the Mav hybrid with both 3h 18* and 4h 20* in the bag?

Anyone previously game the Rogue standard 4 wood and have any feedback on whether the Mavrik is any more or less draw/hook prone? Think I’ll get the SZ 4 wood, but thinking the regular model might make a bit more sense. Just dont wanna see a ball go left. I suppose hot melt would always be an option or cone to think of it, could take advanatage of PGA SS performance guarantee.

@DNice26 Just my experience demoing clubs and did not play Rogue, but the regular 4w does not go left. It is an an accurate and easy to use weapon. My dispersion with it was really good, like hard to ignore good. But I did ignore and was seduced by a SZ 4w. The SZ is similar feels but with lower spin carried a fair bit further for me than the std. 4w. Std 4w was pretty tight overall however.

Round 2 demoing the Mavrik Hybrids for me this afternoon. I took along my Srixon H85 3h and was focused on figuring out the gapping aspect of potential Mav 3h and/or 4h purchases. Significant lessons learned:

• Mav hybrids are more forgiving than my H85 - dispersion circles were notably tighter.
  • In the forgiveness aspect, that also makes them easy to hit.
  • They are "hotter" than my H85 - the 3h has distance potential that just isn't quite there with the Srixon.
  • Sound, once again, broken record, is preferred over my H85.
  • Looks - I still give the nod to the H85 here, they are actually very similar shape. The Cally has an alignment Chev as a plus, the H85 is naked. The face color, overall shape, and scoring lines go to the Srixon. In truth they are so similar (to me) that the Mavrik would be an easy swap in... it is a shape that I am used to looking at and what I seem to look for in a hybrid. At this point I prefer look of standard Mav hybrid to the SuperHybrid, Mav Pro, or Mav Max. Just very nice overall balance.

If I play the ball off the ground, spin stays up and I get carry numbers that I expect with about 4000rpm spin. Then, if I tee the ball up just a touch as for a tee shot, that is when things get wild. Spin drops down to the 3k range and I had enough confidence that swinging freely carry with the 18* was starting to legit bridge over to 4w territory. And straighter. And easier to hit than 4w.

The 4h in 20* is technically the right club for the gap I want to hit. But the 18* 3h is messing with my brain its all there and sooo fun to smoke. Inventing reasons like, maybe just buy the 3h and learn to hit the finessey fade you've been trying to get back... yeah, that'll solve the extra distance "problem" o_O

Some gapping data, numbers are a mixed blend of shots off the deck and very low tee:
IMG_5836.jpg

Last edited:
Round 2 demoing the Mavrik Hybrids for me this afternoon. I took along my Srixon H85 3h and was focused on figuring out the gapping aspect of potential Mav 3h and/or 4h purchases. Significant lessons learned:

• Mav hybrids are more forgiving than my H85 - dispersion circles were notably tighter.
  • In the forgiveness aspect, that also makes them easy to hit.
  • They are "hotter" than my H85 - the 3h has distance potential that just isn't quite there with the Srixon.
  • Sound, once again, broken record, is preferred over my H85.
  • Looks - I still give the nod to the H85 here, they are actually very similar shape. The Cally has an alignment Chev as a plus, the H85 is naked. The face color, overall shape, and scoring lines go to the Srixon. In truth they are so similar (to me) that the Mavrik would be an easy swap in... it is a shape that I am used to looking at and what I seem to look for in a hybrid. At this point I prefer look of standard Mav hybrid to the SuperHybrid, Mav Pro, or Mav Max. Just very nice overall balance.

If I play the ball off the ground, spin stays up and I get carry numbers that I expect with about 4000rpm spin. Then, if I tee the ball up just a touch as for a tee shot, that is when things get wild. Spin drops down to the 3k range and I had enough confidence that swinging freely carry with the 18* was starting to legit bridge over to 4w territory. And straighter. And easier to hit than 4w.

The 4h in 20* is technically the right club for the gap I want to hit. But the 18* 3h is messing with my brain its all there and sooo fun to smoke. Inventing reasons like, maybe just buy the 3h and learn to hit the finessey fade you've been trying to get back... yeah, that'll solve the extra distance "problem" o_O

I’ve never been a hybrid off the tee guy. But this past week I learned how deadly the Mav standard 4H could be off the tee. So straight and so long. I will definitely be adding that shot to my arsenal this year.

I’ve never been a hybrid off the tee guy. But this past week I learned how deadly the Mav standard 4H could be off the tee. So straight and so long. I will definitely be adding that shot to my arsenal this year.

I use a hybrid off the tee about 1/3 of the time... 4-5 times a round, its really important to me keeping the ball in play. Great shot in the arsenal. Was dialing up 240 carry with the 18* off the tee... :oops:

... that ain't right.

It truly wants to go straight, even with my wounded swing right now I’m still seeing it want to get up and go. It’s been easier to hit than the Flash I reviewed, and it sounds about 1000 times better too.

Gonna go hit the hybrids today. Will try the 3 and the 4. I'm guessing as a lower ball hitter the 4 will be better for me and likely go about the same distance. But we'll see.

Hit the 4 hybrid today. Really impressive distance, and I enjoyed the feel. I was still struggling with it going left on me. I actually see that Callaway allows you to adjust the lie angle on these when you order them. Is that new? Anyone done it? I'd definitely want to adjust them flat if I go this route

Gonna go hit the hybrids today. Will try the 3 and the 4. I'm guessing as a lower ball hitter the 4 will be better for me and likely go about the same distance. But we'll see.

That is almost always the result I get and for the same reason. The 4H is hella long, so I'm sure it'd gap fine with the 4W.

Based on early results with the driver, it's time to go put these hybrids up head to head with my rogues. Specifically thinking about the 3H as I use that off the tee way more.

Well helloooo! Look what just arrived! :love:

E474F3AE-2733-4F67-844C-5C0C43705852.jpeg
5E6F51DE-A9BC-4DD2-AF88-F6CE93C48CA1.jpeg
72CAAF61-AF30-4D90-A00A-CABDF612FD30.jpeg
These bad boys will be monsters.
#ReleasetheKraken

Back