Callaway MAVRIK Irons

So, down to either buying the Mavericks or the Apex DCB. Would like to hear thoughts, should I spend the extra $$$ on the Apex? I am a 85-90 type golfer at the moment but steadily shooting lower scores.

which mavrik? standard? max? pro?

The Mavericks just didn’t do it for me. Although the lofts are the same, the Rogue X are almost a full club longer through the set (5-AW).
I could’ve kept them and adjusted, but I found myself fighting the urge to over swing in an attempt to get my “old” yardage. The clubs felt fine, I liked the ball flight, but at 67yo, I’m not going to play a 135 yd 7 when I can hit another model 145.
Amazon still has new sets of Rogue X, so I ordered a 5-AW set last week. It feels like I have reconnected with an old friend, lol. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again… I don’t think there is a better set of irons for the senior mid handicap golfer. Playing them is like going back in time 10 years distance wise.
Long, high and straight works very well for me.

I love my mavrik’s. Find them really forgiving and very consistent
My only issue with them was the Rogue X, are easily 10 yards longer with each club. I saw the same thing with the Maverick hybrids compared to the Rogue X version.

Last edited:
About to decide between the Mavrik Max and the Apex DCBs. Leaning toward the Max since I’m a newer player and they’re cheaper but the DCBs sure do look good!

Went to the shop yesterday and decided to go with the Mavrik Max. I can use the forgiveness and they’re cheaper. I’ll look at something similar to the DCBs for the next set down the road.

FWIW, I got the last set of Mavrik Max the store had. They said the entire Mavrik line had been discontinued, irons, fairways, and drivers. Callaway is replacing the line for 2022 and they’re going to be harder to get as the year goes on. They weren’t confident that if they ordered anything for me they’d actually be able to get it. Sounds like if you’re looking for Mavriks, get them while you can!

I’m going to a demo day at the club I’m taking lessons at on Friday. If the standard or Max irons suit me well, I am prepared to order a fitted set.

I’m going to a demo day at the club I’m taking lessons at on Friday. If the standard or Max irons suit me well, I am prepared to order a fitted set.

awesome! let us know how the testing goes.

awesome! let us know how the testing goes.

So I attended the demo day and the Mavrik Max irons were the third set that I hit. I tried the Apex DCB and B21 irons before the Max. I didn’t see much of a difference between the B21 and Max irons for me to justify the difference in price. My dispersion on them was pretty consistent when I actually hit a good shot and I gained some yards on my current 7-iron.
I can see the pro at the golf course when I have my lesson this weekend to discuss the fitting and help decide on what configuration to get. I’m personally leaning 5-P.

So I attended the demo day and the Mavrik Max irons were the third set that I hit. I tried the Apex DCB and B21 irons before the Max. I didn’t see much of a difference between the B21 and Max irons for me to justify the difference in price. My dispersion on them was pretty consistent when I actually hit a good shot and I gained some yards on my current 7-iron.
I can see the pro at the golf course when I have my lesson this weekend to discuss the fitting and help decide on what configuration to get. I’m personally leaning 5-P.

nice!!!

Absolutely love my Maverick pro Irons, best investment in my game ever.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I spoke with my instructor after my lesson and he suggested that I get my swing more consistent before investing in a new set for now. I’m disappointed but I appreciate the honesty.

I spoke with my instructor after my lesson and he suggested that I get my swing more consistent before investing in a new set for now. I’m disappointed but I appreciate the honesty.
He is 100% correct, no worries its a good thing when you're ready.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Played a 9 hole round with a 7 iron mavrik max yesterday. I’ve been using the Cobra LTDx, and I’d say this club fits like an 7.5 iron in terms of that set when considering gapping

Really a good club to hit. Fun to hit flush
91BF48C2-B83C-4D3C-AF11-17CE6F352938.png
EEE0A8EC-A64A-40C0-9785-A17DE6707877.png

Mavrik irons are still in my bag, 3+ years later. This has been a great set of irons and I still enjoy the feel when hitting them.

My dad got to use these today in a rental set and he flew the green on the first few holes :LOL: they are crazy long and forgiving. Will definitely be in his bag before the end of the year!

My dad got to use these today in a rental set and he flew the green on the first few holes :LOL: they are crazy long and forgiving. Will definitely be in his bag before the end of the year!
What irons does he normally play?

What irons does he normally play?
I think he is still playing an Adams hybrid iron set. That won’t last much longer!

You know it! I think I was on Callaway preowned during the round :LOL:
The Mavrik irons really are good, I'm sure your dad will love them once he gets his distances dialed in!

Back