Callaway MAVRIK Irons

Those who have the Mav Pros, did ant of you get the lofts weakened a tad? Or are you playing them at spec.

my fitting build sheet says to go 1* weak. i like what i’m seeing with most clubs but the 6i is launching pretty low. i need to get the specs checked after a few more rounds of golf.

I saw the Mavrik and MavMax irons today, I was hoping for the Pro's but sadly there was not a set at the store yet. The first thing that stands out to me is that I really like the appearance of the back of the club and the cavity area, it looks purposeful and appealing. I was not a fan of the sharp cavity edges on the Apex 19. Next, the overall shape is really good.

I hit a half dozen shots with the Mavrik. I had a couple thin misses that felt fine, plenty of feedback but not unpleasant. The remaining shots were my basic stock draw, and these definitely feel powerful off the center of the face. Surprising to me, was that I was only launching at around 15.5-16 degrees with the Mavrik, and about 4400 spin on a 7i. In the same session, Forged Tec returned 18* and 4800, while MP20 were at my typical 20* and 6000rpm. With the lower spin and launch, my peak height was actually down a bit, but carry longer, as expected. The Mavrik does include both AW and GW in set makeup, where Forged Tec and MP20 both have only one gap wedge, so one could interpret that in with different labeling, the Mav 7i is effectively a 6i, so that is partially at play in the launch results.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the Mav Pro to demo. Very impressive release all around from Callaway.

How was the initial testing of them?

I'll admit I got distracted hitting the Mavrik Pro because I also had an Apex 19 Pro to test there and my God, did that feel nice! I need to get on a monitor but I didn't dislike the Mavrik Pro. Great looks, felt kinda like my CF16.

This may be targeted towards @NoShanks and also @McLovin. The Mavrik Pros have me very intrigued die to all the tech. I am currently playing Mizuno MP20s and distance is no issue and I like them much better than the JPX 900 forged I use to play. I’m concerned that the Pro models will just be too long and leave a major gap at the wedges. my PW now is a 140-145 yard club (I can muscle it to 150 if I need to) and my 50 deg is my 130 club. i like my 4 deg gapping between wedges.

Plus I really love the soft feel and the thin top line and minimal offset of my muscle backs. But, this is the first non-forged clubs I’ve had interest in since my Callaway X-14s I purchased in 2002. I’m a pretty good iron ball striker - no issues with distance, spin or getting the ball up. In fact, even my MP20s launch high. Thoughts on moving to the Pros in my situation?

Does anyone know if the hosel is .355 or .370 on the pro model? Can't seem to find it in the specs.
I was told it was .355 while the others are .370. I was looking for the same info this weekend as I have some Nippon pulls that are .370.

This may be targeted towards @NoShanks and also @McLovin. The Mavrik Pros have me very intrigued die to all the tech. I am currently playing Mizuno MP20s and distance is no issue and I like them much better than the JPX 900 forged I use to play. I’m concerned that the Pro models will just be too long and leave a major gap at the wedges. my PW now is a 140-145 yard club (I can muscle it to 150 if I need to) and my 50 deg is my 130 club. i like my 4 deg gapping between wedges.

Plus I really love the soft feel and the thin top line and minimal offset of my muscle backs. But, this is the first non-forged clubs I’ve had interest in since my Callaway X-14s I purchased in 2002. I’m a pretty good iron ball striker - no issues with distance, spin or getting the ball up. In fact, even my MP20s launch high. Thoughts on moving to the Pros in my situation?
You would probably need to at least add the set AW much like myself. I have gained a club across the bag. I will test it as is when the season starts and possibly consider bending the lofts a little weaker if needed to get my gapping down. They are long and will no doubt be longer than the blades you currently have.

if your concern is too MUCH distance, yeah, i'm not your guy. give me all the distance I can get. you may be thinking of @radiman he has been having to adjust his distances. and @NoShanks did pass on these because they were going so far for him.

as far as gapping, I have no issues at all with gapping these irons. in fact, I was fit into the exact same setup all the way through specialty wedges as before. but again, I may not be the right guy to discuss this with.

for feel, I can tell you that if you're seeking the softest possible feel, you may not love these compared to mb or even the apex pro. I tested both apex pro and mav pro side by side, and in my review I mention that apex pro is without a doubt softer. for me, that's not a deal breaker though. because I really do enjoy the mav pro feel quite a bit.

i'm not sure that helped you at all haha, but let me know if you have any questions.

I also have the mp20 MB’s. Love the look and feel of them. I was fitted into the apex MB’s.

I tried the mavrik pros but they just went too far for me. They felt nice and visually they were a bit too thick for me. I lean towards a more compact head.

since I don’t want any more distance, I look for something more predictable and consistent And my fitter agreed the pros weren’t a good fit for what I’m trying to achieve.

you’ll have to try it in person and see how it plays to your game.

Thanks guys!

Im not going to preorder now and will wait a few months until Club Champion gets in all the LH options in driver and irons and then go from there.

I also have the mp20 MB’s. Love the look and feel of them. I was fitted into the apex MB’s.

I tried the mavrik pros but they just went too far for me. They felt nice and visually they were a bit too thick for me. I lean towards a more compact head.

since I don’t want any more distance, I look for something more predictable and consistent And my fitter agreed the pros weren’t a good fit for what I’m trying to achieve.

you’ll have to try it in person and see how it plays to your game.
That is exactly what I am looking for. What I love with my MP20s is the distance consistency. If I need to make a 175 yard shot in normal wind conditions, I’m going to hit my 7i and it’s going to go 175 yards. It drove me nuts with my JPX 900 forged that the same shot could go 20 yards further because I grooved the absolute perfect shot. Also, I can flight my ball much more consistent with the MP20s.

Thanks guys!

Im not going to preorder now and will wait a few months until Club Champion gets in all the LH options in driver and irons and then go from there.

I honestly think that's the right decision. I do think the AI faces are helping in pretty interesting ways. For instance, I have hit a few toe shots on the course and expected that low spin hard hook, only to see the ball start right and stay there, with decent distance. And out of the heel these are probably the most forgiving player's iron I've ever hit. So the benefits of the tech are absolutely there, it's just whether you can get comfortable with distance and feel.

For the look, I really don't think they look big at all. Swapping between these and the Apex Pro, I didn't find the footprint to be different at all.

That is exactly what I am looking for. What I love with my MP20s is the distance consistency. If I need to make a 175 yard shot in normal wind conditions, I’m going to hit my 7i and it’s going to go 175 yards. It drove me nuts with my JPX 900 forged that the same shot could go 20 yards further because I grooved the absolute perfect shot. Also, I can flight my ball much more consistent with the MP20s.

playing devil's advocate, wouldn't you have even more distance disparity when not buttoning a blade vs not buttoning a more forgiving iron?

that's the biggest reason gerritt at ecpc put me in mav pro over apex pro. apex pro gave me the right launch and spin, but my mishits were that much more punishing than the mav pro, so we decided on mav pro.

playing devil's advocate, wouldn't you have even more distance disparity when not buttoning a blade vs not buttoning a more forgiving iron?

that's the biggest reason gerritt at ecpc put me in mav pro over apex pro. apex pro gave me the right launch and spin, but my mishits were that much more punishing than the mav pro, so we decided on mav pro.
I really don’t miss the center of the club and when I do I’m okay with coming up short. My point is that distance is extremely consistent with the MP20s and when i have a mishit, I’m coming up short. I think what it comes down to is that I don’t try and steroid jerk the MP20# to get a few extra yards but I do it unintentionally with the 900s which leads to the flyers. If I steroid jerk the MP20s and miss the center, I’m losing distance And it lands short.

I really don’t miss the center of the club and when I do I’m okay with coming up short. My point is that distance is extremely consistent with the MP20s and when i have a mishit, I’m coming up short. I think what it comes down to is that I don’t try and steroid jerk the MP20# to get a few extra yards but I do it unintentionally with the 900s which leads to the flyers. If I steroid jerk the MP20s and miss the center, I’m losing distance And it lands short.

Yup same here. If I mishit I mishit on a bad swing and I’m fine with it.

So much solid feedback in here and thanks to everyone for their thoughts and pics! I got fitted for the Apex 19 at the end of last season with the DG x100 shafts but didn't order anything due to winter setting in. I'm excited to give these a try along with the Apex to see what is best for me. I too loved my XR pro's look so these have my eye. Looking forward tonadding some data and notes after I get to hit them.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

So much solid feedback in here and thanks to everyone for their thoughts and pics! I got fitted for the Apex 19 at the end of last season with the DG x100 shafts but didn't order anything due to winter setting in. I'm excited to give these a try along with the Apex to see what is best for me. I too loved my XR pro's look so these have my eye. Looking forward tonadding some data and notes after I get to hit them.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

please do! I played the cf19 standard for most of 2019. if I can answer any questions, let me know!

Oops, wrong thread.

Last edited:
Those who have the Mav Pros, did ant of you get the lofts weakened a tad? Or are you playing them at spec.

I'm actually playing mine 1* strong to reduce spin.

Well, i just stopped by Edwin Watts here in Fort Worth and hit the pro with the Recoil shaft. Gotta say, it look really nice, but the feel was really lacking for me. It is going to be hard to move my Apex Pro 19s out of the bag. Really got to think about this now...

Well, i just stopped by Edwin Watts here in Fort Worth and hit the pro with the Recoil shaft. Gotta say, it look really nice, but the feel was really lacking for me. It is going to be hard to move my Apex Pro 19s out of the bag. Really got to think about this now...
That's the thing. They aren't really meant to replace Apex Pro's. If you were to say that you were launching your Apex Pro's too high with too much spin, these would be an excellent option to try.

When I hit the Apex Pro at ECPC, I launched and spun them significantly more. I have never been accused of hitting the ball too low, so that wasn't a great fit for me.

Rogue x and MAvrick have same specs as in loft, I haven't seen a picture of rogue x and mavrik compare picture if anyone has one.

I knew they were not a replacement for the Apex Pros. Honestly, i was looking at them to pick up a bit of distance that I left behind leaving my Rogue Pros (which the Mavriks do replace.) The Mavrik seemed to be even harsher than my Rogue Pros. (Could just be I have gotten used the feel of the Apex Pro!)

I may circle back around to these, but I am now just a bit hesitant. Beautiful irons for sure. Much better looking in person!

I knew they were not a replacement for the Apex Pros. Honestly, i was looking at them to pick up a bit of distance that I left behind leaving my Rogue Pros (which the Mavriks do replace.) The Mavrik seemed to be even harsher than my Rogue Pros. (Could just be I have gotten used the feel of the Apex Pro!)

I may circle back around to these, but I am now just a bit hesitant. Beautiful irons for sure. Much better looking in person!
Interesting. I never hit the Rogue Pro's myself, so I am not familiar with the feel of them. But, coming from the 2016 Apex Pro's, I can attest, that they aren't quite as buttery feeling as those. I am not noticing them being harsh myself. But, it's a subjective thing. They should definitely be longer than the Apex Pros though.

feel is personal, but in my personal experience that’s not what i experienced at all. i mean, i hated the rogue pros haha. but i do love these mav pros. glad you at least got to test them!

Back