Callaway MAVRIK Irons

small sample size over a few rounds, but here's what arccos says my proximity to the hole has been with these irons:

5i - 3.5' (it was a good shot..., but only one good shot!)
6i - 33.7'
7i - 31.5'
8i - 64.5' (it was a bad shot..., but only one bad shot haha)
9i - 28.5'
pw - 27'
gw - 25.7'

i wouldn't call those birdie chances, but they're really easy 2p chances. i'll take 2p pars all damn day.
Hey man, every time you are putting, it's a birdie chance on the stat sheet! Count it!

Oh, I have been keeping a very close eye on the weather. Tomorrow is crap, then 40's and 50's throughout the 10 day forecast.

I imagine the AW will be a lot more in line with my old PW distance. My new PW is about 160, which was my old 9 iron. So, if I can hit this AW 140-145 it should gap similarly. I like how it flows with the set aesthetically, but does have some elements of a dedicated wedge in its shape.

Yikes! How far are you hitting your 52° MD5? Also, what clubs were you coming from before the Pros?

Yikes! How far are you hitting your 52° MD5? Also, what clubs were you coming from before the Pros?
Typically, 120-125 would be more of a stock swing. Then, down to 115 full swing with the 56 and really only use a lob wedge for certain situations. Could squeeze a few more yards out of those by moving the ball back a little bit. Could use my 52 to get 130, 56 to 120 if I really had to make something work in a situation where my gapping is a little so so. I have always found that I have a better time digging down deep and putting more effort into a swing than I do trying to play a really delicate shot. So, I would be the first to admit that the bottom of my bag isn't really gapped out really well. But, I have tried moving the lofts around and I always find that the gap just kind of shifts around. I am really hoping that the stock AW will be more than my 52 and less than my old PW distance. If I can count on 135-140 with that club and hopefully the PW isn't as crazy long on real grass, it really should free me up.

115yd 56*. Beastmode!!!

I’m lucky if I can get 80y out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

115yd 56*. Beastmode!!!

I’m lucky if I can get 80y out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha, a lot of it is shaft lean at impact. Probably more due to delofting than it is speed. That's the reason I need to cycle in a 64 degree wedge.

B9CB1277-F11E-436C-95AC-B74CF3493E1C.jpegGetting 18 in today with these bad boys

Coming from the XR Pros, I would say that the Mavrik Pros are consistently at least 1/2 club longer for me and sometimes more like a full club. For example, a 170 7-iron used to be about the limit for me. I could hit it a bit farther under good conditions in good weather, but I was better off choking down on a 6-iron because anything less than a perfect strike would be short beyond that distance. Earlier this week in a round where my swing was complete garbage, I hit a stock 7-iron from 172 into the wind in about 50* weather. the distance was perfect.

I'm really excited about these. I just need the weather to cooperate so I can start playing a little more often and get my swing back in some sort of sync.

Quite jealous. It's been nothing but hitting my Pros into a net. Really liking how the Pros look.
Didn’t as play as well as I had hoped but it was on a new course and I was hardly ever in a position to hit an approach iron that wasn’t either blocked out by trees or some other obstacle. Hit a few 5irons that absolutely rocketed off the face Into a strong headwind and ended up giving me a decent look.

The Mav pros are SO good. And they look good too as complimented by my playing partners (6 feet away of course)

Didn’t as play as well as I had hoped but it was on a new course and I was hardly ever in a position to hit an approach iron that wasn’t either blocked out by trees or some other obstacle. Hit a few 5irons that absolutely rocketed off the face Into a strong headwind and ended up giving me a decent look.

The Mav pros are SO good. And they look good too as complimented by my playing partners (6 feet away of course)

What difference do you see between the Mav Pro's vs the Apex Pro's (launch, length, feel, turf interaction, forgiveness, etc.)? With golf courses being closed here I am spending way too much time thinking about new sticks.

What difference do you see between the Mav Pro's vs the Apex Pro's (launch, length, feel, turf interaction, forgiveness, etc.)? With golf courses being closed here I am spending way too much time thinking about new sticks.
So it’s hard to tell as i haven’t played with the Apex Pros with a shaft that I’m fitted for. (The shafts I got in the apex pros at the grandaddy was a bit too light and spinny at 110g) but I am definitely going to have a better answer for you in the next few weeks or month as I’m going to get the same shafts put in them as the mav pros to compare apples to apples.

What I CAN tell you is the feel is a touch softer with the apex pros, theres more offset in the mavs, and the top line is thinner in the apex pros. Truthfully, I don’t think you could go wrong with either as the category of golfer that each of these irons is made for overlap quite a bit (if that makes any sense?)

This whole lockdown has really put a dent in my quest to break 80 with the Mavrik lineup befoe the end of the year, but respecting the distancing as much as possible,. Soooooo why not start a little spring construction to put that work in. Started to clean out a flat section of the yard to grade and put in a hitting net/mat.

This whole lockdown has really put a dent in my quest to break 80 with the Mavrik lineup befoe the end of the year, but respecting the distancing as much as possible,. Soooooo why not start a little spring construction to put that work in. Started to clean out a flat section of the yard to grade and put in a hitting net/mat.
Looking forward to seeing your setup. I have a net setup in my backyard but i really need a better mat and it’ll be ideal.

i am so smitten with these irons. they feel absolutely awesome off the face, and are the perfect shape for my eye. these irons will ride with me as i continue to try to improve. i don’t think it’s possible for me to “outgrow these irons” while at the same time if i struggle (ahem, WHEN) there’s so much forgiveness that i won’t feel like i need to put something else in the bag. just the perfect players distance iron for me.

3FC10023-1A7A-4B02-95B0-5AA4081CE99C.jpeg

i am so smitten with these irons. they feel absolutely awesome off the face, and are the perfect shape for my eye. these irons will ride with me as i continue to try to improve. i don’t think it’s possible for me to “outgrow these irons” while at the same time if i struggle (ahem, WHEN) there’s so much forgiveness that i won’t feel like i need to put something else in the bag. just the perfect players distance iron for me.

View attachment 8936674
I'm jealous. I barely remember what the center of these feel like.

View attachment 8936674

Dam that is solid.

View attachment 8936674
Congrats on those beauties!
I will be joining you witb my set soon I hope.
giphy.gif

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dam that is solid.

medium bucket. a few stinkers, no doubt about that. but the majority were all hit there. this iron rewards a quality strike with a purity that I can't get enough of. and off-center strikes may not feel superbulous, but the performance and results are better than I deserve.

medium bucket. a few stinkers, no doubt about that. but the majority were all hit there. this iron rewards a quality strike with a purity that I can't get enough of. and off-center strikes may not feel superbulous, but the performance and results are better than I deserve.
I was just in my basement hitting little pop shots into the foot of our couch just to feel impact with them again. They feel so good. Hard for me to describe. They're not forged and it's not a forged feel. It's a different type of solid. But solid none the less.

I had to stop once my wife gave me the business.

I was just in my basement hitting little pop shots into the foot of our couch just to feel impact with them again. They feel so good. Hard for me to describe. They're not forged and it's not a forged feel. It's a different type of solid. But solid none the less.

I had to stop once my wife gave me the business.

since you are posting on a golf forum and not otherwise occupied, I guess "gave me the business" means something different in your house than mine lol

View attachment 8936674
That is some great contact Cap. 👊

since you are posting on a golf forum and not otherwise occupied, I guess "gave me the business" means something different in your house than mine lol
Lol, this is correct.

A few thoughts after gaming the Mavriks (Standard) for 16 rounds:

- They're about a club longer than my old irons throughout the bag, but easier to hit and more forgiving. My old irons were Ping K15s, SGI clubs that were touted as the most forgiving clubs on the market in their time. There's not even a comparison between the two, Mavrik wins hands down.

- My confidence has skyrocketed due to the forgiveness and consistency. I'll take on shots that I shied away from before and stand over the shot feeling confident that I'm going to like the result (it doesn't always work out that way, but that's the Indian, not the arrow!)

- I didn't order a 5 iron as part of my set because I've never hit 5 irons particularly well and didn't have any confidence with one in my hand. I've been pondering adding the 5 iron since these clubs are so easy to hit, but wanted to hit one first. Was playing today with a friend who also plays Mavrik irons and he offered me his 5 iron to try. One hit was all it took, I ordered the 5 iron for my set from Callaway as soon as I got home this afternoon.

- I can't compare them to high-end forged players clubs because I don't have that kind of game - but as far as cast irons go, these are the sweetest feeling irons I've ever hit and it's not even close. The feeling and sound when you hit the sweet spot is addicting, I just want to stand there and keep dropping balls and hitting them over and over. They give enough feedback that I can feel where I missed on off-center hits, but the misses aren't near as punishing as I sometimes deserve as far as results go. A miss definitely doesn't feel good like hitting the sweet spot does, but it's not jarring or painful either. You just know you missed.

- I love them all through the bag, but the AW has become my favorite club to have in my hands. It's like I almost can't hit a bad shot with that club. I can dial it up and down and despite my own ineptitude, get a result that reasonably resembles what I was trying to hit. Full swings, half swings, pitches, bump and runs - not that it's all of a sudden made me into a wizard, but I've never had this kind of feel with a club before.

- The friend I was golfing with today is a guy I've golfed regularly with for over ten years. He knows my game well, and has made several comments about how much better I'm hitting these clubs. Other guys in our regular group have noticed and commented on it too, so I know it's not just me honeymooning over new toys. The Mavs have more than earned their spot in the bag and they're going to be there for a while - I don't see myself "outgrowing" them any time soon.

- I didn't order a 5 iron as part of my set because I've never hit 5 irons particularly well and didn't have any confidence with one in my hand. I've been pondering adding the 5 iron since these clubs are so easy to hit, but wanted to hit one first. Was playing today with a friend who also plays Mavrik irons and he offered me his 5 iron to try. One hit was all it took, I ordered the 5 iron for my set from Callaway as soon as I got home this afternoon.
Great review. Good to hear that you're loving your new irons. I am having similar thoughts as yours but regarding adding a 4i. My 5i has been so easy to hit that I'm contemplating grabbing a 4i, but I'm already a club over. Not sure what I would leave out of my bag. Perhaps my 60° and one of my hybrids depending on the day. Anyway, congrats on your new improved results.

Back