Callaway MAVRIK Irons

I was fortunate enough to be able to get out and play every day since last Thursday. 9 holes Thursday, then 18 on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (as well as 5 holes with my daughter last night).

I want to preface this by saying that I have tried to be as honest and forthcoming as I can be. Trying to keep the natural urge to shelter any negatives, given my opportunities, at bay. With that being said, I don't want what I am saying to be taken as excessive criticism or lack of appreciation for the opportunity afforded to me. Just my honest feedback.

I continue to have a give take relationship with these irons at the moment. I love the strong flight. I launch it lower than I had been last year and around here, into the wind, that is a huge advantage. I love the solid feel. I love the aesthetics. They look amazing. I love the performance of the 5 and 6 irons. They have provided me some pretty insane shots so far this season.

On the flip side, there are some things that I am still struggling with. I am struggling with the scoring clubs. My distance control is lacking. I have said it before, but these things have limitless distance potential. As I am playing more, my winter rust is pretty much gone. My body is a lot more fluid than it was a few months ago. I am hitting the center of the clubface on a very consistent basis. My speed is up and I am just making a good move on the ball now. So, because of all of these factors (which are all positives in my eyes), I am seeing my distances making another little jump.

So, to combat the struggle of sailing greens, I am working on taking something off of my swing to hit my distances. But, I am getting pretty inconsistent results yet. I may hit my distance. Or, I may leave it short. So, as I try to attack greens or pins, I am just utterly confused on what to do in some situations. My natural instinct is to just hit the club that goes that number and put a good swing on it. Having to approach my iron play as I do my wedges has lead to some big numbers on holes where I was in a great position to score.

As an example. I had a hole yesterday that was the biggest ugly on my card. I had 178 to the pin. Wind at the back. I pull my PW as I don't want to go long and I am not going to hit a wedge that far. I make what felt like a less than 100% swing. Ball starts off perfect. Heading to the right side of the green and drawing back. Looks to be hunting the pin. The ball flew so far over the green that it hit a cart path and bounced into a hazard leading to a double. The shot had to be 185 plus. So, I was frustrated. Confused on why I am getting such inconsistent results and just mad that I derailed an otherwise great round with one shot.

So, I get to the next hole which is a longer par 5 with wind coming in and from the right. I just absolutely piped my drive. Dead center. Maybe some aggression being taken out on the poor golf ball. I don't know. Get to my ball, shoot the pin that is cut in the front of the green, and I have 215. The wind was pretty healthy, and I didn't want to miss left or right. So, I figured, hitting a 6 iron as hard as I can figuring straight and short was better than going pin high but being under a tree or in the bunker. Hit the ball very solid. It starts at the right side, and then draws. Heading right at the pin. I expect it to bounce short and maybe kick up close. The ball lands about 2 feet to the left of the pin and settles 5 feet away setting me up with an eagle that wiped that double off the card. Lol. So, I am sitting here thinking, that with my old clubs, the double wouldn't have happened. But, on the flip side, without the Mav Pro, I don't think I could have pulled off the shot that lead to the eagle either.

That has kind of been the story this season. Hit a frustrating shot then get amazing results where they weren't expected.

I think I am going to try and get my lofts and lies checked just for peace of mind. I doubt they're off since they were built by Callaway's tour guys. But, it wouldn't hurt to make sure. Otherwise, I will continue to work on trying to dial in the scoring clubs and hope for some better results in that regard. Also, I will be hunting for a spinnier golf ball. I still think if I can add some spin to my shots with these irons, things will level off a ton. Probably doesn't even have to be a lot.

These clubs are a players distance set no doubt. It's really my first foray into the category. So, I am not too terribly surprised to struggle to acclimate. But, for anyone looking to pick up some yards and get an incredibly forgiving iron that looks the part of the players category, these are such a good option. Even with stronger lofts, the shorter club and the forgiveness these irons provide seem to make the long irons easier to hit than anything I have tried in the past.

Good to see TXG give these clubs some airtime. My fitter said he is fitting people left right and centre into these irons and the mavrik driver.
My clubs were ready just after lockdown started in Aus......:cry:. I have been back for 5 rounds now and have already come in 1 stroke thanks largely to these irons
and another new purchase, Titleist U510 3 utility iron (ultimate fairway finder for me). The Mav Pros with my fitted shafts are everything I need and more.
I can smell single figure handicap :cool::devilish:

I was fortunate enough to be able to get out and play every day since last Thursday. 9 holes Thursday, then 18 on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (as well as 5 holes with my daughter last night).

I want to preface this by saying that I have tried to be as honest and forthcoming as I can be. Trying to keep the natural urge to shelter any negatives, given my opportunities, at bay. With that being said, I don't want what I am saying to be taken as excessive criticism or lack of appreciation for the opportunity afforded to me. Just my honest feedback.

I continue to have a give take relationship with these irons at the moment. I love the strong flight. I launch it lower than I had been last year and around here, into the wind, that is a huge advantage. I love the solid feel. I love the aesthetics. They look amazing. I love the performance of the 5 and 6 irons. They have provided me some pretty insane shots so far this season.

On the flip side, there are some things that I am still struggling with. I am struggling with the scoring clubs. My distance control is lacking. I have said it before, but these things have limitless distance potential. As I am playing more, my winter rust is pretty much gone. My body is a lot more fluid than it was a few months ago. I am hitting the center of the clubface on a very consistent basis. My speed is up and I am just making a good move on the ball now. So, because of all of these factors (which are all positives in my eyes), I am seeing my distances making another little jump.

So, to combat the struggle of sailing greens, I am working on taking something off of my swing to hit my distances. But, I am getting pretty inconsistent results yet. I may hit my distance. Or, I may leave it short. So, as I try to attack greens or pins, I am just utterly confused on what to do in some situations. My natural instinct is to just hit the club that goes that number and put a good swing on it. Having to approach my iron play as I do my wedges has lead to some big numbers on holes where I was in a great position to score.

As an example. I had a hole yesterday that was the biggest ugly on my card. I had 178 to the pin. Wind at the back. I pull my PW as I don't want to go long and I am not going to hit a wedge that far. I make what felt like a less than 100% swing. Ball starts off perfect. Heading to the right side of the green and drawing back. Looks to be hunting the pin. The ball flew so far over the green that it hit a cart path and bounced into a hazard leading to a double. The shot had to be 185 plus. So, I was frustrated. Confused on why I am getting such inconsistent results and just mad that I derailed an otherwise great round with one shot.

So, I get to the next hole which is a longer par 5 with wind coming in and from the right. I just absolutely piped my drive. Dead center. Maybe some aggression being taken out on the poor golf ball. I don't know. Get to my ball, shoot the pin that is cut in the front of the green, and I have 215. The wind was pretty healthy, and I didn't want to miss left or right. So, I figured, hitting a 6 iron as hard as I can figuring straight and short was better than going pin high but being under a tree or in the bunker. Hit the ball very solid. It starts at the right side, and then draws. Heading right at the pin. I expect it to bounce short and maybe kick up close. The ball lands about 2 feet to the left of the pin and settles 5 feet away setting me up with an eagle that wiped that double off the card. Lol. So, I am sitting here thinking, that with my old clubs, the double wouldn't have happened. But, on the flip side, without the Mav Pro, I don't think I could have pulled off the shot that lead to the eagle either.

That has kind of been the story this season. Hit a frustrating shot then get amazing results where they weren't expected.

I think I am going to try and get my lofts and lies checked just for peace of mind. I doubt they're off since they were built by Callaway's tour guys. But, it wouldn't hurt to make sure. Otherwise, I will continue to work on trying to dial in the scoring clubs and hope for some better results in that regard. Also, I will be hunting for a spinnier golf ball. I still think if I can add some spin to my shots with these irons, things will level off a ton. Probably doesn't even have to be a lot.

These clubs are a players distance set no doubt. It's really my first foray into the category. So, I am not too terribly surprised to struggle to acclimate. But, for anyone looking to pick up some yards and get an incredibly forgiving iron that looks the part of the players category, these are such a good option. Even with stronger lofts, the shorter club and the forgiveness these irons provide seem to make the long irons easier to hit than anything I have tried in the past.
Reviews like this are what make THP so great. Honest, no-fluff, first-hand on the course experiences rather than endless glowing reviews blindly praising a product and overlooking any negatives. Reviews like that are great for people looking to buy clubs, and I think maybe they're also useful feedback for OEMs.

With that said - that double bogey? That's what you freaking get for being able to hit a freaking pitching wedge 185+ freaking yards! :ROFLMAO::LOL::love:

Reviews like this are what make THP so great. Honest, no-fluff, first-hand on the course experiences rather than endless glowing reviews blindly praising a product and overlooking any negatives. Reviews like that are great for people looking to buy clubs, and I think maybe they're also useful feedback for OEMs.

With that said - that double bogey? That's what you freaking get for being able to hit a freaking pitching wedge 185+ freaking yards! :ROFLMAO::LOL::love:
It was karma you say? 🤣🤣

I have come to expect 160-165 out of that PW. There was wind, so I knew I'd get extra out if it. Just didn't expect 20 yards. After the eagle all I could do was laugh and shrug my shoulders. Looked at it as a positive that it wiped out the double rather than being mad that the double sullied my eagle.

Appreciate the feedback. I don't want to have to detail negatives, but I wouldn't be doing what I agreed to do if I didn't. Besides, I look at it this way. What may be a negative for my game could be exactly what someone else wants to see. It's not like I'm short with them or inaccurate. They just do too good of a job at what they're designed to do for me, haha. I know some of my teammates are welcoming the additional distance with open arms. The P790 is an extremely popular club for TM. If a guy wanted that kind of distance and performance, he could a hell of a lot worse than saving a bunch of money and putting some AI goodness in their bag.

Really good stuff Radiman. I appreciate the challenge you face. You are doing a great job.

'Confused, frustrated, confused' was pretty much how I felt on the distance control with them.

It has to be tougher and probably just a whole different game of it with your length, and I like the determination to figure it out. Getting into a spinnier ball sounds like a good plan and you can probably afford it. For me it costs me length I can't afford. But then frustrating without. So I found myself basically spinning them more myself. Playing a deliberate cut every shot to spin them up and even them out a little. Which kind of defeats the purpose of someone like me playing them. I need the distance! lol

Good feedback and good luck getting them dialed in how you want them! They really are great looking clubs.

Has anyone gone from 2018 Big Bertha's to Mavrik? Was it worth it? I really like the BB's but the Mav's are getting a lot of positive chatter.

Has anyone gone from 2018 Big Bertha's to Mavrik? Was it worth it? I really like the BB's but the Mav's are getting a lot of positive chatter.
@tomcat were you a Big Bertha user? I thought someone in our team was.

@tomcat were you a Big Bertha user? I thought someone in our team was.

I played the '15 version of Big Bertha irons a few years ago and they were a great set to hit. I had most recently played the Cobra F7 OL irons. Loved those.

While I've not hit the more recent Big Berthas, I can speak to the Mav Max irons. The Max irons have really been great for me, thus far. I've not been able to play much in the last two months (just like most others), but can see the benefits that the Max offers. I'd say the feel at contact is very similar to BB, as is the size/shape of the head. I personally like the looks of this iron better, but in reality, you're going to like the additional forgiveness that the AI design has built in.

That being said, I can't speak to whether it's an overall better investment, financially, than BB, since those are only a couple of years old. I think it'd be a good deal, but then again, I didn't have to pay for mine. :D

Also, when being fit for the Mav Max, I was told that the current Berthas are the closest iron to the Max that are in their current catalogue. If you're talking about going from the BB to Mav standard or Mav Pro, unfortunately, I can't speak about those irons.

Thanks, I was really looking for an excuse to piss away more $$$ ....another one of those lies to myself.

Sorry to hear your having doubts with the pros. I have found the distances pretty consistent when hitting the ball well. I managed to sneak onto trackman and hit 5 shots with each of my clubs (didn't hit the 6 iron well that day) I have attached if you are at all interested (you'll have to do a quick conversion from metres to yards).

Attachments

• Jeremy dial in (1).pdf
    674.7 KB · Views: 11
Sorry to hear your having doubts with the pros. I have found the distances pretty consistent when hitting the ball well. I managed to sneak onto trackman and hit 5 shots with each of my clubs (didn't hit the 6 iron well that day) I have attached if you are at all interested (you'll have to do a quick conversion from metres to yards).
Not so much doubts. Just trying to find a place in my game for a 210 yard 7 iron, a 165+ PW. Makes gapping difficult down in the bottom end of the bag.

Not so much doubts. Just trying to find a place in my game for a 210 yard 7 iron, a 165+ PW. Makes gapping difficult down in the bottom end of the bag.

165 yard PW o_O. I'm not a golf science expert but hitting a 43 degree face that far, there would have to be some delofting of the club face at impact? Dynamic Loft would be interesting. PGA tour average carry for PW (likely 2 degrees weaker) is 136 yards, PGA tour average carry for a 9 iron is 148 yards, 8 iron - 160 yards. I'm very intrigued! How far do you carry your MD5 52 and whilst this may not solve your issue have you considered adding the 48 degree Gap Wedge in the Mav Pro. 43 degrees to 52 degrees seems a big gap?

165 yard PW o_O. I'm not a golf science expert but hitting a 43 degree face that far, there would have to be some delofting of the club face at impact? Dynamic Loft would be interesting. PGA tour average carry for PW (likely 2 degrees weaker) is 136 yards, PGA tour average carry for a 9 iron is 148 yards, 8 iron - 160 yards. I'm very intrigued! How far do you carry your MD5 52 and whilst this may not solve your issue have you considered adding the 48 degree Gap Wedge in the Mav Pro. 43 degrees to 52 degrees seems a big gap?
My MD5 is a work horse that can be my 115 club, my 120 club when I need it, or even my 130 if I step on it. I feel very confident controlling that club.

Yeah, I have the set GW. It's a bit different flight than the rest of the set though and hasn't been a great fill in between my PW and 52. It launches super high compared to the rest of the set. But, that one was ordered by me after the fact, so not coming from their tour builders, specs could be off. It comes in handy from time to time though. There's about a 20 yard gap between that and my 52. Going full shot to full shot.

In terms of tour PW's, I would suspect they're closer to 3-4 degrees weaker in a lot of cases. And I know that I have some forward press. But, my launch angles were pretty good from what I remember last time I was on a monitor. I don't have regular access to a PM, especially one that gives club data. Last time I was on a trackman was in January and my PW swing speed was 95mph with 124mph of ball speed. I've said it before, I'm not great at taking off of a swing. Working on it though.

For those that are playing these irons, do you think a split set of Standard and Pro would work well? My playing partner is debating going this route.

For those that are playing these irons, do you think a split set of Standard and Pro would work well? My playing partner is debating going this route.
The standard Mavrik irons have the strongest lofts out of the set. So, I think to truly blend them, it would take a some bending. Then, I don't know if the bounce change would make it play a lot different.

1591201937782.png
1591201949332.png

The standard Mavrik irons have the strongest lofts out of the set. So, I think to truly blend them, it would take a some bending. Then, I don't know if the bounce change would make it play a lot different.

While I agree on the loft differences, it is only one part of the equation for distance, so I think that would depend on the player and distances, but with that said, that is a large gap, so fitting I agree would be paramount.

While I agree on the loft differences, it is only one part of the equation for distance, so I think that would depend on the player and distances, but with that said, that is a large gap, so fitting I agree would be paramount.
Oh, for certain. I don't know how they would blend one way or the other. I never hit the standard personally. I know they are the longest of the line, and I am sure there is more to that than just loft. With the AI faces being individually designed from one iron to the next, I would imagine they would have differing playing characteristics from one set to another. If lofts were bent to match, I would imagine that the AI designed face would still effect each iron differently, center of gravity, and all of that.

Oh, for certain. I don't know how they would blend one way or the other. I never hit the standard personally. I know they are the longest of the line, and I am sure there is more to that than just loft. With the AI faces being individually designed from one iron to the next, I would imagine they would have differing playing characteristics from one set to another. If lofts were bent to match, I would imagine that the AI designed face would still effect each iron differently, center of gravity, and all of that.

Its pretty interesting. As someone playing the pros, how forgiving are they in the longer irons? That is his main question, as he might just go Pro throughout.

Its pretty interesting. As someone playing the pros, how forgiving are they in the longer irons? That is his main question, as he might just go Pro throughout.
For me, extremely. I've been hitting the ball pretty well lately, so I've not been traversing the face all that much. If I miss, it's typically the toe side. I can feel the miss, but launch and carry are pretty good. The ball will usually start a little right for me on those shots. But, it typically holds it's line pretty well.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
Excited to get some more time in this weekend with the Mav Standard irons. Im installing Arccos sensors to connect up the bag. So I’ll have more overall average distance stats. I also think it will help me with club selection a bit more. I play a lot of courses with elevation changes and low/high greens. The new ball flight I am seeing, (which is good) has me rethinking some of my game plan on those shots where I would club up/down. A new rangefinder is also burning a hole in my shopping cart wait on the Father’s Day sales so I can get even more accurate numbers especially at the range and inside 150.

I hoped you get it figured out, but wow...crushing a PW that far? You could probably use that off the tee. LOL :eek: I think I am killing my PW when I get the very rare 140 hit.

pretty much no. we asked @DNevsCG this question during the product presentation and he said this isn't a set that he recommended combo'ing. some of that is loft differences. some of that is the fact that the faces are ai'd individually for each iron in that given set. meaning if you split the set at the mav pro 8i then started with mav std 7i, the ai evolution would not be the same. and while these look similar enough make sense with mavrik branding among all sets, I don't think the footprint, topline, offset, etc would flow well at all.

Reactions: JB
I hoped you get it figured out, but wow...crushing a PW that far? You could probably use that off the tee. LOL :eek: I think I am killing my PW when I get the very rare 140 hit.
Haha. There was some wind assist. It's the 165 (usually) club. So, with wind at the back, I though account for an extra club's worth of carry should do it. Just a miscalculation, lol.

Back