Callaway MAVRIK Irons

Also, when being fit for the Mav Max, I was told that the current Berthas are the closest iron to the Max that are in their current catalogue. If you're talking about going from the BB to Mav standard or Mav Pro, unfortunately, I can't speak about those irons.
Tomcat, thanks for the feedback regarding the Max v. BB. I'm currently trying out a Max and BB 7 Iron to decide which will fit. Upgrading from Taylormade Rocketbladez.

Tomcat, thanks for the feedback regarding the Max v. BB. I'm currently trying out a Max and BB 7 Iron to decide which will fit. Upgrading from Taylormade Rocketbladez.
Interesting. I played R/Bladez. During my fitting I expected to be put into BB's but they lost out to Apex19's. I am curious to see how this plays out for you.

It's just my opinion, but if I was upgrading from something multiple years old, and looking at the BB and Max options, I'd go Max, mainly because you can get cutting edge tech in a very reasonable price package (provided you hit them similarly to the BB). Like I mentioned for the other poster, if you already had a one or two year old set, then it's a little bit different.

It's just my opinion, but if I was upgrading from something multiple years old, and looking at the BB and Max options, I'd go Max, mainly because you can get cutting edge tech in a very reasonable price package (provided you hit them similarly to the BB). Like I mentioned for the other poster, if you already had a one or two year old set, then it's a little bit different.
That was my thinking too. Just trying to complete due diligence. Waiting for the Max to arrive to finish up the test. Already compared the BB v. RBladez and recognized that the BB is a better fit.

165 yard PW o_O. I'm not a golf science expert but hitting a 43 degree face that far, there would have to be some delofting of the club face at impact? Dynamic Loft would be interesting. PGA tour average carry for PW (likely 2 degrees weaker) is 136 yards, PGA tour average carry for a 9 iron is 148 yards, 8 iron - 160 yards. I'm very intrigued! How far do you carry your MD5 52 and whilst this may not solve your issue have you considered adding the 48 degree Gap Wedge in the Mav Pro. 43 degrees to 52 degrees seems a big gap?

Of course, @radiman carries more wedges than regular irons in his bag.

7i 8i 9i PW AW 52 54 56 58 60 and 64 :p

Dude's a rocket launcher.

That was my thinking too. Just trying to complete due diligence.

Absolutely. It's funny how certain clubs that you just know will work for you, sometimes just don't.

Anyone compare Mavrik to Rogue X irons?

...A new rangefinder is also burning a hole in my shopping cart wait on the Father’s Day sales so I can get even more accurate numbers especially at the range and inside 150.
Consider yourself lucky if you have access to a range with decent enough balls to get an idea of distances. The ranges here use junk one-piece range balls that play completely different than any ball I play on the course, so the yardages (and ball flight) are way off.

Consider yourself lucky if you have access to a range with decent enough balls to get an idea of distances. The ranges here use junk one-piece range balls that play completely different than any ball I play on the course, so the yardages (and ball flight) are way off.

ours is a full outdoor grass range with Callaway range balls. they aren’t limited flight tmk but obviously a few steps down from a new chromesoft X. i do find plenty of real balls in the mix too which I put to the side for driver.

OK, decided to pull the trigger on a “proper” fitting. Made an appointment for Monday for an Iron fitting at Club Champion. New Mavrik Max 7 iron was delivered today, I’ll still do the comparison with the BB just to see for myself tomorrow.

Got the chance to play a short par 3 tomorrow with the Mavrik standard irons and compare them to my Apex CF19's and Honma XP-1's. A friend of mine is loaning them to me for the day. Apex CF19's are a little inconsistent for me and the XP-1's are just a really solid iron and with lofts similar to the Apex they are at least a club longer. I post an update after this short round.

OK, decided to pull the trigger on a “proper” fitting. Made an appointment for Monday for an Iron fitting at Club Champion. New Mavrik Max 7 iron was delivered today, I’ll still do the comparison with the BB just to see for myself tomorrow.
How did the fitting go?

I continue to love my mav pros. no, i'm not knocking down flagsticks. but when I put a decent move on the ball, i'm rewarded greatly. and my misses are generally pin-high. i'm missing greens left twice as often as right per arccos with almost every iron. i'm not comfortable enough in my swing skin to say I need a lie adjustment, i'd rather get my swing in better shape then start tweaking the clubs. but these irons have been superb for me.

I continue to love my mav pros. no, i'm not knocking down flagsticks. but when I put a decent move on the ball, i'm rewarded greatly. and my misses are generally pin-high. i'm missing greens left twice as often as right per arccos with almost every iron. i'm not comfortable enough in my swing skin to say I need a lie adjustment, i'd rather get my swing in better shape then start tweaking the clubs. but these irons have been superb for me.
Mine are flatter than I typically play and I am seeing a little more left bias than before.

Got the chance to play a short par 3 tomorrow with the Mavrik standard irons and compare them to my Apex CF19's and Honma XP-1's. A friend of mine is loaning them to me for the day. Apex CF19's are a little inconsistent for me and the XP-1's are just a really solid iron and with lofts similar to the Apex they are at least a club longer. I post an update after this short round.

So I did play 9 holes with these and all I can say is WOW. The distance, trajectory, and ability to hit these to my target was unbelievable. Granted, this was a very short course - all par 3's with really small greens, but the fact that I overshot most of the greens was quite surprising. Last year, I was looking for more distance and these definitely meet that requirement. These irons are smoking hot! I known they have some pretty strong lofts... but that didn't seem to affect the hight of my shots. Not sure about the spin numbers and I am a little concerned about holding greens with these, but anyone looking for missile launchers should take a serious look at these.

I was blown away by the trajectory. I seem to struggle with the longer irons as far as hitting them straight... always seems to be a bit of a draw bias.. but there was none of that on long, solid strikes with the 4 and 5 iron. And in terms of hitting the sweet spot, shot after shot was sweetness... I've never had this kind of success with any previous iron on an initial round. BTW, I did get about 45 minutes on the driving range with them, and they were really impressive.

I have to give some serious thought to picking up a set of these for a backup set. They are definitely a notch above what I get with my Apex. YMMV. I'm a little reluctant about having to return them to my friend and I'd just love to play them this weekend on my normal round.

I had a chance to hit the Mavrik irons with the Catalyst graphite shaft in them last week. I just planned on going to the range to hit a bucket to try to figure out my iron play issue and the Callaway rep was there doing a demo so I first hit the Mavrik iron with a steel shaft and it wasn't good (like my current play basically) and then with the graphite and what a difference. The guy gave me a graphite shafted one and said you NEED to be hitting graphite. It was like hitting butter! I hit the 7 iron about 20 yards farther and seemed like hardly any effort! The only downside is that a set cost like $1000 with graphite so that is a bummer!

18 holes yesterday with the mav pros.

The balance of these irons really helps me get the face square or close to it almost every strike. Arccos data is showing when I hit one of these irons for an approach, I’m hitting almost every green and pretty close to the pin too.

I notice the biggest benefit is on mishits and I still find my ball pin-high. But when I hit these well, it’s such an addicting feeling. Feels so good with a penetrating mid-high ball flight and plenty of ability to stop the ball when it lands, even with the longer irons. I love it.

man I love these mav pro irons when struck well. such a great and powerful feeling out of the middle. no, they're not the softest on mishits. believe me, I have thoroughly tested that aspect haha. but I am addicted to the feel out of the middle. of the many inconsistencies in my swing, the one that I feel these irons (and maybe all irons, for that matter) are the least capable of hiding is launch and apex. I do seem to get quite a bit of variance in my peak height from shot to shot.

my local shop is finally open! spent a good 20 swings with the pro irons. really playable & felt great. Some serious yardage too!

Got out to the range just before dark and squeaked in a Jumbo bucket focusing mainly on irons. The new ball flight over the session was pretty noticeable this time. No more moon balls for the most part and a much more penetrating flight. I’m starting to get a better feel in the hands for the mishits vs dead center shots as well and can tell the center vs off center feel. Even still though the mishits are still far less punitive than I used to have to live with. My slices are now reduced to more of push fade and well struck shots are far straighter than my old ball flight. I’m still trying to gauge all the distances but I’m definitely seeing more distance from flight/spin changes alone, and the dead center shots are significantly better.

heckin good day with these irons today. i didn’t hit enough greens, but with some swing changes taking hold i hit some powerful, gorgeous shots. i did see some issues holding greens, which is not something i’m used to. i’m going to keep an eye on that. it was nuts to get 203 out of a 6i, 177 8i, 186 7i. and from a set bent 1* weak.

heckin good day with these irons today. i didn’t hit enough greens, but with some swing changes taking hold i hit some powerful, gorgeous shots. i did see some issues holding greens, which is not something i’m used to. i’m going to keep an eye on that. it was nuts to get 203 out of a 6i, 177 8i, 186 7i. and from a set bent 1* weak.

Playing twice this week I’ll try for the elusive 250yd @radiman 7i shot.

I've been struggling with my driver swing lately, but the Mav Pros just keep flat out performing. I'm really impressed by the consistency
Its pretty interesting. As someone playing the pros, how forgiving are they in the longer irons? That is his main question, as he might just go Pro throughout.
@JB I'm late in responding here, but I echo what @radiman said about the long irons. As someone who has yet to find something I don't like about any of the Pros, I'd say that the long irons are the stars of the show. With good swings, I've hit some of the best long iron shots of my life (not necessarily in terms of proximity to the hole, but in terms of contact, trajectory, and carry). With some absolutely awful swings, I've still had some results I didn't really deserve. I'd almost say that they are deceptively forgiving. Even shots that feel and look terrible still really carry.

I've been struggling with my driver swing lately, but the Mav Pros just keep flat out performing. I'm really impressed by the consistency

@JB I'm late in responding here, but I echo what @radiman said about the long irons. As someone who has yet to find something I don't like about any of the Pros, I'd say that the long irons are the stars of the show. With good swings, I've hit some of the best long iron shots of my life (not necessarily in terms of proximity to the hole, but in terms of contact, trajectory, and carry). With some absolutely awful swings, I've still had some results I didn't really deserve. I'd almost say that they are deceptively forgiving. Even shots that feel and look terrible still really carry.

Thanks BSI.
I probably should have updated. He ended up going straight through with Pros and getting a hybrid in the 4 slot instead of iron.

Back