Callaway MAVRIK Irons

Has anyone else experienced that with their Mavrik irons? Or am I just the lucky one here?
I noticed something similar on mine. I've had one range session and one round and there is some considerable scuffing. I'll see if I can grab a pic or two.

20201004_213223.jpg

Last edited:
The Mavrik Tour or Pro irons look beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question for you all: (I just ordered the 5-aw Mavriks) How many of you have needed to purchase an additional wedge (gap wedge) to help the gap between the AW and your SW? Did you go with the Mavrik GW or another name brand? Thanks!

Question for you all: (I just ordered the 5-aw Mavriks) How many of you have needed to purchase an additional wedge (gap wedge) to help the gap between the AW and your SW? Did you go with the Mavrik GW or another name brand? Thanks!

standard mav, mav max, or mav pro?

next time i’m on the range i’m going to snap pics of the faces. i’ve hit a TON of balls with these clubs over the last 10 months. and to my eye they’re in amazing condition still.
I don't doubt this. I worked the daylights out of the set of pros I had in a very short time, and when I went to sell them they were pristine. Very durable finish imo. I'm at a loss why someone's would look rough like the ones posted. Range mats marring them maybe?

I went with the Mavrik GW also to match set. I have the 5-PW, AW and GW.

same boat. I went with the Mavrik gw and have been very happy

Just received my Mavrik std irons (5-aw) with steel 95 shafts. Was able to figure out the yardages and this set does not disappoint. Yes, I am hitting them about 5-7 yards further than my Apex CF16's BUT I needed that along with the forgiveness they provide. THIS is what I needed. A bit of forgiveness without a HUGE looking iron. They are more compact than I was expecting; yes they are larger than my previous but I don't notice the top line at all. Best of all, I can take a much smoother swing and receive the results I want. Straight or a baby draw. I also have the ability to "jump" on them if I need to and get another 5-10 yards. But with a 85-87 avg swing speed with my irons, I am just fine with playing darts (lol). I am a higher spin player, so I am not worried about stopping the ball on the greens. I have the B21 3 hybrid for my 210-220 yardage and a B21 3 wood for my 230-245 yardage needs.
I am a happy camper.

Currently playing the MP 18 MMC. I wanted a little more forgiveness and went in for a fitting. I was thinking 921 Forged. I didn’t see that much gain over 18’s. Maybe the slightest bit of help on toe shots. Tried P770’s and they were a tad better. Feel was not great compared to 18’s either iron. Fitter said if you can give up some feel, I want you to try the Mavriks. All of a sudden, my launch and spin were lower which is something that helps me greatly. My smash factor went from 1.32 to 1.38 and my back to front dispersion was much tighter. Going to take the outdoors tomorrow. Only difference was going from DG 105 to AMT White. Both were S300 so 7 iron could have been a benefit with heavier shaft. Will report back after tomorrow.

Currently playing the MP 18 MMC. I wanted a little more forgiveness and went in for a fitting. I was thinking 921 Forged. I didn’t see that much gain over 18’s. Maybe the slightest bit of help on toe shots. Tried P770’s and they were a tad better. Feel was not great compared to 18’s either iron. Fitter said if you can give up some feel, I want you to try the Mavriks. All of a sudden, my launch and spin were lower which is something that helps me greatly. My smash factor went from 1.32 to 1.38 and my back to front dispersion was much tighter. Going to take the outdoors tomorrow. Only difference was going from DG 105 to AMT White. Both were S300 so 7 iron could have been a benefit with heavier shaft. Will report back after tomorrow.

Standard Mavrik? DG105 to AMT White is quite the shift. I love those shafts. Should probably bring flight down on it's own, much less with the Mavrik lofts. Sounds real promising!

Standard Mavrik? DG105 to AMT White is quite the shift. I love those shafts. Should probably bring flight down on it's own, much less with the Mavrik lofts. Sounds real promising!

Yes. Standard. Didn’t think I would gain much going to the Pros.

9 holes with the Mavrik irons. +2 / 38
They felt awesome. Pin hunted. Very happy with them.

I haven’t seen many sets other than my own in the wild. But today just on the walk to the tee from the parking lot 3 sets. All Mav standards.

I haven’t seen any at the 2 courses I normally play. I just think the Mavriks get a bad rap. It’s just like any other brand iron set, they will work for some perfectly and for some they will not be a good fit. People just want to complain about the “jacked” lofts and lack of spin. I, myself do not have a problem with them at all. I was looking for a club that would provide me with more forgiveness than my CF16’s and these have overly sufficed that need. Also I have no problem with the spin with the Mavriks. Today on all shots (5, 6, 7, 8, 9, pw and aw) one hop and would stop.
These might not be for everyone, however I think they are an excellent option for many.

i mentioned taking some pics of my mav pros in a previous post. they’re holding up so well after 10 months.

C0F80326-1794-4FE4-BA89-9AE26BD1A0B0.jpeg

D0F38E10-6500-48E4-9311-44A9E16ABE5A.jpeg

I've got the standard and went 5-PW, AW (46*), GW (51* - though mine measured at 50* after the order came in). Then I use the CBX2 in 54* and 58*. I have a 50* in the CBX2 as well, but right now, the Mavrik GW is in the bag.
That's the same setup as mine including the CBX2's. But mine starts with 4i.

I have the STD 5-AW also. From the AW, I go to a 54° MD5 and a 58° PM Grind. It leaves a gap between the AW and 54, but I'm perfectly comfortable with partial shots with the AW to cover the gap.

@NativeTxn I’m at the far end of the spectrum on this topic - heck, I use iron covers. But that’s just unacceptable, IMO.

@NativeTxn I’m at the far end of the spectrum on this topic - heck, I use iron covers. But that’s just unacceptable, IMO.
Playing in the desert, we hit off all kinds of nasty lies (especially since my game doesn't involve being in the fairway all the time!). The soles of new clubs look like they've been dragged ten miles down a dirt road behind a pickup truck after the first few rounds, so I don't even pay attention to it. Every so often I'll take a file or grinder to them if they develop any sharp edges on the nicks and dings.

Results of all 4 par 3s yesterday. 3 pars and a birdie. Enough said. Dropped some darts, and for me that is a big deal.

1602541786576.jpeg

mav pro 8i got a workout on the range today. weaken the grip, the ball goes a mile high. high, low, left, right, these irons can do it all. one flag was about 100y away, and i hit punch draws and cuts to it with ease. the feel out of the middle is so solid and powerful. these irons leave so little to be desired. they’re excellent.

confirmed in a fitting with callaway yesterday that the mav pro is still the absolute perfect fit for me. it went toe-to-toe with the apex cf19, and xfcb and it was the clear winner. no the feel isn't as soft, but i still really enjoy it. and the forgiveness on misses was leaps and bounds better with the mav pro than the others. as someone who rarely makes par from off the green, i need all of that forgiveness. but as someone who (stupidly) prefers slim irons, the mav pros are about as slim as you can get and still pack all that distance and forgiveness in.

i played a really nice round today, but the front 9 was maybe the best i've hit the ball in a really long time. the mav pros showed out beautifully on a tough course. for the first time in awhile, i was long more often than short. i have a comfort level with these that i would say i haven't had with another set, maybe ever. there are some intriguing and enticing new releases hitting the market right now, but these mav pros continue to show over and over that they are the perfect fit for me. i know one of the knocks against these is their spin profile being on the low side, but i hit some really juicy iron shots into greens today that checked with no problem at all. with the right ball, i think that lower spin can be managed, and all the other benefits of the ai fast, the ball speed retention on mishits, and the straight flight can be used to your advantage. these are just so much fun.

Back