Callaway MAVRIK Irons

Ok, so if I'm going to impulse buy the Mav Pros or standard Mavrik irons, which should I go for?

Current Apex cf16 user, and they're fine. Sweeper, generally hit the middle, big miss is way left.

I like the idea of less offset on the Pros, but want something easy as heck to hit. For the standards, there's more offset, but seem impossible to miss.

Not going to demo them first, of course...

Ok, so if I'm going to impulse buy the Mav Pros or standard Mavrik irons, which should I go for?

Current Apex cf16 user, and they're fine. Sweeper, generally hit the middle, big miss is way left.

I like the idea of less offset on the Pros, but want something easy as heck to hit. For the standards, there's more offset, but seem impossible to miss.

Not going to demo them first, of course...

for a sweeper who hits the middle and doesn’t want to miss left, i would say mav pro. they are still VERY forgiving. to me i think going from cf16 to mav standard would be a bit jarring in the footprint, offset, turf interaction, and spin differences.

Decided to take my Mav 6iron and Srixon z545 5/6i to the range to get some more comparisons for distances/loft. Mav 6i is still considerably longer, and the ball flight is still much lower. It’s a tough comparison to the Srixon as those were always much higher flight for me, one of the reasons the Mav has helped tame that. I did find it interesting my miss was further out on the toe with the Mav vs the Z545 which I was fairly centered. But with the AI forgiveness you don’t notice it till you look at the ball mark. Im thinking at least for me the offset and sole is what affects me the most (in theory), so I am really intrigued to see what is next in the pipeline. We went Mav Std vs Apex 19 at the ECPC for the dispersion, but if next years release and evolution of AI gives me that forgiveness in package similar to the Apex 19, then I’ll be excited to get all 3 head to head for more comparison.

mav pros were so freaking fun on the range today. 6i was flying super high and straight, even on mishits. i have to think when the next irons are released the mav line will be discounted. that will be a heck of an opportunity to snag some incredible performing irons.

Still really enjoying my Mav std irons. So forgiving, plenty of height trajectory and spin. So well balanced. These irons just don’t get the appreciation they truly deserve. I will be keeping them in the bag for a while. There is absolutely no reason to try anything else.

i can’t quit my mav pros. bought a used set of apex pro for a stupid good price, took them to the range once and haven’t wanted to hit them again. mav pro are just too fun. i hit a medium bucket of 9i today. ball marks were all over the face laterally, but the dispersion was still crazy impressive.

I wonder why they're marking up excessively for a few people, but not others? Inconsistent metallurgical process in the manufacturing? Seems like that would be unlikely from a manufacturer like Callaway.

I wonder why they're marking up excessively for a few people, but not others? Inconsistent metallurgical process in the manufacturing? Seems like that would be unlikely from a manufacturer like Callaway.

Not sure, but I'm not keen on the fact that my Mav stds looked like they were 5 years old after one round of knocking around in the bag.

I'm coming up on my 90-day performance guarantee and thinking of switching them out for the JPX 921 HMPs, though the excessive marking isn't the only, or even main reason for potentially doing that.

Have you yet contacted Callaway about this, @NativeTxn?

Have you yet contacted Callaway about this, @NativeTxn?

I talked to the fitter, and he spoke with the Callaway rep who said it was "normal." Fitter said he tended to see it happen quite a bit with Callaway and TM irons.

I haven't run it up the flagpole at Callaway, in part, because I am currently planning on switching them out for the HMP.

I talked to the fitter, and he spoke with the Callaway rep who said it was "normal." Fitter said he tended to see it happen quite a bit with Callaway and TM irons.

I haven't run it up the flagpole at Callaway, in part, because I am currently planning on switching them out for the HMP.

not sure i trust the fitter here. my mavrik pros look immaculate. and my apex cf19 looked immaculate. what i will concede is that it could be an issue with the plating/finish used on the mavrik standard irons, because i have seen other examples from this line that look more worn than they should.

not sure i trust the fitter here. my mavrik pros look immaculate. and my apex cf19 looked immaculate. what i will concede is that it could be an issue with the plating/finish used on the mavrik standard irons, because i have seen other examples from this line that look more worn than they should.

I think that is likely the case here. I've seen others who have had issues, and some that have not had the same issues (or at least not to the same degree).

My Mav std irons still look great! No problems here.

not sure i trust the fitter here.
Yeah. This doesn't look or sound right to me, some of the "wear" I've seen a couple of guys post about.

They're clubs. They're going to get banged up over time and show wear. But that amount of banged-up and wear from just one outing? Doesn't seem right to me.

My 58° CBX wedge, which was a demo, and with which I further hit a demo bucket of balls out of a practice bunker, has ridden in a cart at least twice, if not three times, and has been used for a dozen or so chips, hardly looks like it's ever been used.

Yeah. This doesn't look or sound right to me, some of the "wear" I've seen a couple of guys post about.

They're clubs. They're going to get banged up over time and show wear. But that amount of banged-up and wear from just one outing? Doesn't seem right to me.

My 58° CBX wedge, which was a demo, and with which I further hit a demo bucket of balls out of a practice bunker, has ridden in a cart at least twice, if not three times, and has been used for a dozen or so chips, hardly looks like it's ever been used.

I may have been one of those posters. The wear after one round in the cart on the standard mavs seemed way out of line to me, even for clubs that are a tool that you bang around in the ground, etc. My 15-year old Mizuno MX-19 look newer in terms of wear.

I may have been one of those posters.
I think there were two, similar complaints. Not certain.

Anyway, on too another aspect of these clubs. I fondled a Max at my LGS today. Boy, that is some top line on those things. I don't know...

fun day with the mav pros again yesterday. highlight was almost holing out from 120 with the gw from a hard pan lie. the ball never left the stick. there was a big group standing behind the hole having just finished a tournament. they were feeling good, and when my ball hit the green they erupted in cheers, which grew louder as the ball pitched forward right in front of the hole, only to spin back to 2'. nice little tap-in bird to finish the 9 holes with my kid.

but then there was a shot that is a big reason i can't help but wonder whether a different iron head may suit me better. nice drive caught the slope and finished in the left rough. we have overseeded here in central florida. it wasn't the worst lie. 135 from the hole, no wind or anything. so i felt a smooth pw, maybe 3/4ish would get the job done. again, the ball came off perfectly, i really thought it was going to land just short of the hole and stop near the cup for a birdie chance. instead, it flew past the hole, had no spin, and bounded onto the back of the green where i promptly 3-putted because of some crazy slope in the green. it's that low spinner i can get that troubles me. my misses these days have been long far more often than short, and i don't love that.

I think there were two, similar complaints. Not certain.

Anyway, on too another aspect of these clubs. I fondled a Max at my LGS today. Boy, that is some top line on those things. I don't know...

I went ahead and put in for the exchange to go from the Mav stds to the 921 HMPs. Won’t get them for about 6-10 weeks most likely, but hopefully my history in terms of cosmetics with Mizunos will hold up like my MX-19s have, because the HMPs are solid performers (not that the mav stds weren’t/aren’t).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

with the holidays and two weeks of quarantining, i haven’t touched my mav pros. i miss them!

with the holidays and two weeks of quarantining, i haven’t touched my mav pros. i miss them!
Consider this like a small taste of what we in the northern states call, the off season.

Consider this like a small taste of what we in the northern states call, the off season.

you have only yourself to blame!

you have only yourself to blame!
I blame my wife for not wanting to move. I’ve tried. But, she’s kind of alright so I don’t mind staying with her in the tundra. 🤣

I blame my wife for not wanting to move. I’ve tried. But, she’s kind of alright so I don’t mind staying with her in the tundra. 🤣
Lately I’m just subtly talking about how nice it’d be to be down south. She started asking where I’d want to go... so that’s a start!

Lately I’m just subtly talking about how nice it’d be to be down south. She started asking where I’d want to go... so that’s a start!
You got further than I did! Lol.

You got further than I did! Lol.
We used to live in Palm Springs for many years - moved back to MN because of kids and family... in a few years they'll be in college and we can go to warmer weather... she likes to golf so I think that she now sees "the light"

Back