Callaway MAVRIK Irons

this is one of those things that when they said, the mic dropped. we all looked at each other like "ho. ly. SH1T."

...except @j_sizzle9 who hilariously asked @DNevsCG on one of the bus rides if Callaway would ever consider using ai in an iron face. oh man did the zoo crew give nevs some serious crap for his presentation after that lmao
When I got the release info, around when you all got it, I had a legit “oh wow” moment. I don’t get those much on releases anymore.

I keep coming back to these things... Honestly I wasn't originally intrigued, but the price point and the looks are astounding.

I have the Apex 19s, so no plans on switching this year, but price to performance seems like a home run with these things.
I figured you would already have Epic Forged in the bag.

Great pics here and perfect comparison. They actually do look really good.
I haven't even compared the actual spec sheets between the two. I would be surprised if the Mavrik actually has more offset. And, if it does, it can't be by much.

I haven't even compared the actual spec sheets between the two. I would be surprised if the Mavrik actually has more offset. And, if it does, it can't be by much.
I’d bet they do, Though likely not a ton. I like their description of these “pro” models not being “tour” size, but GI leaning towards players. The Apex Pro’s thorough are all players.

I’d bet they do, Though likely not a ton. I like their description of these “pro” models not being “tour” size, but GI leaning towards players. The Apex Pro’s thorough are all players.
It likely does. But, it's visually hard to discern the difference in that regard.

this is one of those things that when they said, the mic dropped. we all looked at each other like "ho. ly. SH1T."

...except @j_sizzle9 who hilariously asked @DNevsCG on one of the bus rides if Callaway would ever consider using ai in an iron face. oh man did the zoo crew give nevs some serious crap for his presentation after that lmao

My bad @DNevsCG ...I think my mind was still spinning from the prior knowledge bombs that were dropped!

Great point Jman. I’ve been thinking about these irons a little bit, and like a lot of the package here, but quite honestly not 100%. And that’s perfectly fine because Callaway already has in line my favorite irons in the marketplace. What these do is provide additional options and top of the line tech at a lower price point.

They really round out the line up, to where Callaway has a top of the line iron in just about every possible category.

Just thinking about how much engineering went into this release. And, having it come in under $1k????

That price point is fantastic. I was lamenting the incredible hike in iron prices. These are going to get a lot of traction.

Really exciting to see them add AI to irons, and a specific shape and characteristics for each iron to fill that club's needs for the player? Outstanding! Seriously didn't expect this price point to be where the first AI irons would be at, but happy to see it. These will sell very very well, especially given 3 options alongside the rest of the MAVRIK lines.
Remember when they told us the Apex irons were the most technologically challenging product of that release and they didn’t release updated Apex irons for what, 3 years?, because they had to get it right? Look what AI did for them in the Mavrik. Quick turnaround, 3 product lines, unique face for each individual clubs, etc. AI is a game changer.

Really nice looking irons.

....AI is a game changer.

Expanding that thought, the door of possibilities they opened when AI was able to be done in vastly reduced times.

View attachment 8922442
View attachment 8922440
View attachment 8922441

Ok, I am sorry to bombard with a bunch of pictures first. I had to cleanse the pallet after the leaked pics were of pretty poor quality.

Here we are. The Mavrik Pro irons. A set that I never would have dreamt that I would end up with, lol. Now, not that I assumed it wasn’t a great iron. I have just always played a forged players CB. So, the internet golf snob within me ate a bit of crow once I saw these clubs in hand and saw how they performed. They are absolutely gorgeous. I mean, look at these things!

View attachment 8922443

View attachment 8922444

They have so much built into such a great looking package. The topline is manageable. It’s not quite as thin as what I am used to, but it’s not a deal breaker for me by any means. The sole is just about the same size as my previous Apex Pros. The offset. Visually, they almost appear to have less offset than my Apex Pros. They just check all of the boxes visually for me.

View attachment 8922445

The Tech Story:

So, as you are all are aware by now. The same AI that has been optimizing faces for metal woods has been leveraged to optimize the faces of the Mavrik irons. Much like the woods, each club has a face design unique to itself. So, my Mavrik Pro 8 iron has a different face than my 7 iron, my 6 iron, and so on. But, what’s cool about that is that my Mavrik Pro 8 iron has a different face than the Standard Mavrik iron, which has a different face than the Mavrik Max iron. Each club is a completely unique design in and of itself.

Behind that uniquely designed face is a blend of tungsten and urethane microspheres. Giving the irons a very solid feel. They are a cast club don’t get me wrong. But, they do not feel like a cast club I have hit before.

Looks:

I don’t know if I really need to say anything about their looks other than drop these here.

View attachment 8922446
View attachment 8922447

Performance:

These irons are ball speed monsters. Lol. In head to head testing, I have seen anywhere from 7-10 mph more ball speed between these and my Apex Pros. Equating to just over a full club longer in length. My first test was on a GC2. I am posting the numbers here, but want to make mention that the spin readings in a driver test shortly after this was reading way off. So, take these with a grain of salt.

Mavrik Pro 7 Iron
View attachment 8922448

Apex Pro (2016) 7 Iron
View attachment 8922449

It is kind of hard to tell on the screen shots. But, my Apex Pro was carrying roughly exactly what I expect to see in mid season. 185 vs the Mavrik Pro at 209. The spin was reading pretty low on this unit that day, so I do not trust those carry numbers 100%. Below are some Trackman readings that are probably a better representation.

This past weekend, I tested these two irons again on an actual Trackman and saw similar results. Still a club longer, and still a ball speed monster.

Mavrik Pro 7 Iron
View attachment 8922450

Apex Pro 7 Iron
View attachment 8922451

These results are a lot more palatable. The Mavrik 7 iron is essentially going to replace my 6 iron at that distance.

They produce a little bit less spin, but I am seeing similar decent angles between the two clubs. While playing at The Hideaway, I was not having any trouble holding greens with these clubs all the way up to the 5 iron (the longest club I hit out there). I am also noticing a significant drop in launch angle. These irons are putting me into a more ideal launch window. The spin numbers seem low. But, I attribute that to being indoor readings on mats. I don’t doubt that once I am hitting these off real turf that my spin should increase.

During the fitting process, we only hit 7 irons. It was frantic and at the end of the hour long full bag fitting, my fitter asked what set makeup I wanted. I just said 4-PW as I always get. That was a mistake. With the additional length, I will be dropping the 4 iron and adding a set GW. I will essentially just slide my distances one club over to start with. The beauty of this is, my new 5 iron is easier to hit than my old 4 iron, but goes the same distance. All I have to say about that is, there won’t be a safe par 5!

I won’t lie. Something about picking up a club + across the entire bag is a little scary. But, I am optimistic that I can turn that into an asset this season.

To end this post, all I can say is that I go down to my basement and stare at these clubs at least twice a day. Can you blame me?

View attachment 8922453
208 Yard 7 iron... I'll be honest, I wouldn't want that. How does that work for the lower end of your bag? You're going to need about 6 wedges.

208 Yard 7 iron... I'll be honest, I wouldn't want that. How does that work for the lower end of your bag? You're going to need about 6 wedges.
Drop the 4 iron, add the set AW and I am good to go. Same number of irons. Same gaps covered. But, each club is as easy to hit as it's old counterpart. It has, and should continue to, give me more accuracy and an easier to hit option from longer distances.

I know you love the Apex Pros. I tested them directly against the Mav Pros, and to my eye I honestly didn't see much difference at all. The shaping is a touch different, but the size really seemed so similar. At impact, the Apex Pros are definitely softer. But I found I still really liked the solid feeling of the Mav Pro. The Apex Pro gave me a better launch window and peak height, but the losses on mishits were too much to overcome, so we stuck with the Mav Pro.

I want to do a gapping and lie analysis with the Mav Pros after I get some more time with them. Because one bit of negative feedback I have right now is the 6- and 5-irons are launching too low for me. I'm not 100% confident in the numbers I got yesterday, but some of the 6-irons were peaking below around 45' and running out like 30 yards. Trackman always gives me stupid roll out numbers that I never see on the course, but it was still jarring to see carry 160 and total 195 haha. I think with some minor tweaks we could get the launch where it needs to be.

I know you love the Apex Pros. I tested them directly against the Mav Pros, and to my eye I honestly didn't see much difference at all. The shaping is a touch different, but the size really seemed so similar. At impact, the Apex Pros are definitely softer. But I found I still really liked the solid feeling of the Mav Pro. The Apex Pro gave me a better launch window and peak height, but the losses on mishits were too much to overcome, so we stuck with the Mav Pro.

I want to do a gapping and lie analysis with the Mav Pros after I get some more time with them. Because one bit of negative feedback I have right now is the 6- and 5-irons are launching too low for me. I'm not 100% confident in the numbers I got yesterday, but some of the 6-irons were peaking below around 45' and running out like 30 yards. Trackman always gives me stupid roll out numbers that I never see on the course, but it was still jarring to see carry 160 and total 195 haha. I think with some minor tweaks we could get the launch where it needs to be.
Low you say? Hopefully that’s the real deal and I would ponder these hard core haha

Low you say? Hopefully that’s the real deal and I would ponder these hard core haha
The reason I was fit into these over the Apex Pro was the launch. I have had a launch issue the last season. Everything has been high flying moon balls. These have given me a much better launch window than I have been seeing.

The reason I was fit into these over the Apex Pro was the launch. I have had a launch issue the last season. Everything has been high flying moon balls. These have given me a much better launch window than I have been seeing.

and I think this is why @bigskyirish was fit into the mav pro as well. lower launch, more penetrating flight.

I love the flight in the set wedges through 7i. it's the longer irons that are too low with my swing.

Fanstastic write-up @Jman - the technology packed into these at this price point is insano.

And whomever took the pictures for the homepage article is a master of their craft (y)

View attachment 8922442
View attachment 8922440
View attachment 8922441

Ok, I am sorry to bombard with a bunch of pictures first. I had to cleanse the pallet after the leaked pics were of pretty poor quality.

Here we are. The Mavrik Pro irons. A set that I never would have dreamt that I would end up with, lol. Now, not that I assumed it wasn’t a great iron. I have just always played a forged players CB. So, the internet golf snob within me ate a bit of crow once I saw these clubs in hand and saw how they performed. They are absolutely gorgeous. I mean, look at these things!

View attachment 8922443

View attachment 8922444

They have so much built into such a great looking package. The topline is manageable. It’s not quite as thin as what I am used to, but it’s not a deal breaker for me by any means. The sole is just about the same size as my previous Apex Pros. The offset. Visually, they almost appear to have less offset than my Apex Pros. They just check all of the boxes visually for me.

View attachment 8922445

The Tech Story:

So, as you are all are aware by now. The same AI that has been optimizing faces for metal woods has been leveraged to optimize the faces of the Mavrik irons. Much like the woods, each club has a face design unique to itself. So, my Mavrik Pro 8 iron has a different face than my 7 iron, my 6 iron, and so on. But, what’s cool about that is that my Mavrik Pro 8 iron has a different face than the Standard Mavrik iron, which has a different face than the Mavrik Max iron. Each club is a completely unique design in and of itself.

Behind that uniquely designed face is a blend of tungsten and urethane microspheres. Giving the irons a very solid feel. They are a cast club don’t get me wrong. But, they do not feel like a cast club I have hit before.

Looks:

I don’t know if I really need to say anything about their looks other than drop these here.

View attachment 8922446
View attachment 8922447

Performance:

These irons are ball speed monsters. Lol. In head to head testing, I have seen anywhere from 7-10 mph more ball speed between these and my Apex Pros. Equating to just over a full club longer in length. My first test was on a GC2. I am posting the numbers here, but want to make mention that the spin readings in a driver test shortly after this was reading way off. So, take these with a grain of salt.

Mavrik Pro 7 Iron
View attachment 8922448

Apex Pro (2016) 7 Iron
View attachment 8922449

It is kind of hard to tell on the screen shots. But, my Apex Pro was carrying roughly exactly what I expect to see in mid season. 185 vs the Mavrik Pro at 209. The spin was reading pretty low on this unit that day, so I do not trust those carry numbers 100%. Below are some Trackman readings that are probably a better representation.

This past weekend, I tested these two irons again on an actual Trackman and saw similar results. Still a club longer, and still a ball speed monster.

Mavrik Pro 7 Iron
View attachment 8922450

Apex Pro 7 Iron
View attachment 8922451

These results are a lot more palatable. The Mavrik 7 iron is essentially going to replace my 6 iron at that distance.

They produce a little bit less spin, but I am seeing similar decent angles between the two clubs. While playing at The Hideaway, I was not having any trouble holding greens with these clubs all the way up to the 5 iron (the longest club I hit out there). I am also noticing a significant drop in launch angle. These irons are putting me into a more ideal launch window. The spin numbers seem low. But, I attribute that to being indoor readings on mats. I don’t doubt that once I am hitting these off real turf that my spin should increase.

During the fitting process, we only hit 7 irons. It was frantic and at the end of the hour long full bag fitting, my fitter asked what set makeup I wanted. I just said 4-PW as I always get. That was a mistake. With the additional length, I will be dropping the 4 iron and adding a set GW. I will essentially just slide my distances one club over to start with. The beauty of this is, my new 5 iron is easier to hit than my old 4 iron, but goes the same distance. All I have to say about that is, there won’t be a safe par 5!

I won’t lie. Something about picking up a club + across the entire bag is a little scary. But, I am optimistic that I can turn that into an asset this season.

To end this post, all I can say is that I go down to my basement and stare at these clubs at least twice a day. Can you blame me?

View attachment 8922453
Nice review. Your experience is exactly what gets me excited about the player's distance iron category. If I can get the same distances with a shorter, more controllable club that also does not balloon in the wind as easily, then sign me up!

Nice review. Your experience is exactly what gets me excited about the player's distance iron category. If I can get the same distances with a shorter, more controllable club that also does not balloon in the wind as easily, then sign me up!
It's my first venture in the category. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around it. But, once I start nailing par 5's from deep range, I will get over it real quick :)

Back