Callaway MAVRIK Irons

Absolutely. Especially since I was able to spend all my playing time with the apex pros, it’s been beneficial to have something to compare with
Any temptation to stick with the Apex Pros? They are a good looking iron as well!!

Picked up my Pro’s today! I’m looking forward to gathering some data soon. 1st test will be to check out the gapping, as the 6 iron is flying considerably farther than my previous set up.

1bcbb1b750f00df057abfcd27bf5d2e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

988a9557795950795e282aecac866fa6.jpg

I had to hit a few shots with the 6 iron before leaving Club Champion:

823567b0632fbf570bc534753192ca95.jpg

@Kevinhooch 3k on that 6i seems awfully low. are you usually a low spin player? 1.42 smash is ridiculous for a 6i!

@Kevinhooch 3k on that 6i seems awfully low. are you usually a low spin player? 1.42 smash is ridiculous for a 6i!

Yeah... spin must not have been picking up correctly on that pic.
This is from their other bay during my official fitting. Spin is better at 4900 but still low:

05b258b8908d4d6fa22a90fc2e56934f.jpg

Yeah... spin must not have been picking up correctly on that pic.
This is from their other bay during my official fitting. Spin is better at 4900 but still low:

05b258b8908d4d6fa22a90fc2e56934f.jpg

I don't mind 4,900 spin at all, as long as peak height is good. can't wait to hear what you think as you play them for a bit.

My order is in. Will take about two weeks.

Any temptation to stick with the Apex Pros? They are a good looking iron as well!!
I have no reason to believe one is better than the other. I’m going to play both sets throughout the year and give feedback.

The temptation will be when I figure out whichever is better for my game!

Picked up my Pro’s today! I’m looking forward to gathering some data soon. 1st test will be to check out the gapping, as the 6 iron is flying considerably farther than my previous set up.

1bcbb1b750f00df057abfcd27bf5d2e6.jpg

Sizzlin hot right there - congrats.

I don't mind 4,900 spin at all, as long as peak height is good. can't wait to hear what you think as you play them for a bit.

I suppose with my descent angles I wouldn't mind it on a 6 (at least like now when it's soft), but I got a couple today like that with the mav pro 7 that would have been a problem during a normal round. I was comparing it to the regular apex 19 today and the only 2 jumpers I had out of 18 swings were both on the mav pro. One was about 11 over the average, the other was 14. Anyone playing these had an issue with the random flier? Just curious. I was swinging real easy today because I didn't feel great, and distance was really consistent for me except on those 2. Took me by surprise.

There is a little voice inside my head that likes to whisper driving iron thoughts. Such as, maybe the Mavrik 4i is a secret beast similar to the Speedback/Speedzone 4i that has gained a following.

:unsure:

I think I’m finally getting out for a outside round tommorow. Can’t wait to hit these off of real conditions again.

I suppose with my descent angles I wouldn't mind it on a 6 (at least like now when it's soft), but I got a couple today like that with the mav pro 7 that would have been a problem during a normal round. I was comparing it to the regular apex 19 today and the only 2 jumpers I had out of 18 swings were both on the mav pro. One was about 11 over the average, the other was 14. Anyone playing these had an issue with the random flier? Just curious. I was swinging real easy today because I didn't feel great, and distance was really consistent for me except on those 2. Took me by surprise.

no, no fliers for me yet. I guess it kind of depends what you call a flier, though. hot spot? maybe, but that just means it was buttoned whereas other strikes weren't. the ai'd face should significantly reduce what some call fliers.

no, no fliers for me yet. I guess it kind of depends what you call a flier, though. hot spot? maybe, but that just means it was buttoned whereas other strikes weren't. the ai'd face should significantly reduce what some call fliers.
Yeah, I just mean it in the unexpectedly long way. Not an actual lie based flier. I would expect that face to level out inconsistencies. That's why those surprised me. Don't love the idea of a hotspot much either, but those couple could have been an anomaly. Club speed numbers were consistent and no others were more than 4 yards off the average. Limited swings though. I didn't have the time or swings to put the mav pros back in action last time out, but I plan to tomorrow. And I feel better physically than I did then, so I'm going to try to put some muscle to them and really get a feel for what the face will do on some different strikes.

Yeah, I just mean it in the unexpectedly long way. Not an actual lie based flier. I would expect that face to level out inconsistencies. That's why those surprised me. Don't love the idea of a hotspot much either, but those couple could have been an anomaly. Club speed numbers were consistent and no others were more than 4 yards off the average. Limited swings though. I didn't have the time or swings to put the mav pros back in action last time out, but I plan to tomorrow. And I feel better physically than I did then, so I'm going to try to put some muscle to them and really get a feel for what the face will do on some different strikes.
In my limited time with the pros, I cannot say that I've noticed a hot spot or anything like that. I don't know that an iron face has enough rebound to cause that kind of effect. I can see a lack of spin or a swing variable causing that kind of difference.

For me, I can deloft the club quite a bit at times. In the past, I've inadvertently sailed a green or two by delofting a lot more than normal. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's probably more an anomaly caused by an unknown variable vs some sort of hot spot.

Was this during a normal round? Also, just out of general curiosity, what were you measuring the shots with?

In my limited time with the pros, I cannot say that I've noticed a hot spot or anything like that. I don't know that an iron face has enough rebound to cause that kind of effect. I can see a lack of spin or a swing variable causing that kind of difference.

For me, I can deloft the club quite a bit at times. In the past, I've inadvertently sailed a green or two by delofting a lot more than normal. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's probably more an anomaly caused by an unknown variable vs some sort of hot spot.

Was this during a normal round? Also, just out of general curiosity, what were you measuring the shots with?

No, at my home course, but not actually playing a round. A friend got his hands on a Mevo+ so we've been trying it out in real conditions. I don't trust anything until I do, and with the thaw this seemed like the right time to put it and new clubs through their paces. The fairways are mush, so everything basically plugs, and it's easy to chart. We've been hitting numbered balls and using gps and rangefinders to verify results. It's a pita, but I'm a stickler for verifiable data. Like I said, trust issues, and I've hit on just enough monitors to see some flaws. Trajectories were in line on those couple, but spin numbers were definitely low with one of them.

I always assume I'm the most inconsistent element involved, because that should be the case. And I can't figure a way that the new tech would have that effect. Like I said, I would assume the opposite. Just wanted to ask, because my personal observations have shown certain clubs to be more consistent than others. So I assume they were an anomaly that would level out over a broader sample, but don't really know to what degree for me yet.

No, at my home course, but not actually playing a round. A friend got his hands on a Mevo+ so we've been trying it out in real conditions. I don't trust anything until I do, and with the thaw this seemed like the right time to put it and new clubs through their paces. The fairways are mush, so everything basically plugs, and it's easy to chart. We've been hitting numbered balls and using gps and rangefinders to verify results. It's a pita, but I'm a stickler for verifiable data. Like I said, trust issues, and I've hit on just enough monitors to see some flaws. Trajectories were in line on those couple, but spin numbers were definitely low with one of them.

I always assume I'm the most inconsistent element involved, because that should be the case. And I can't figure a way that the new tech would have that effect. Like I said, I would assume the opposite. Just wanted to ask, because my personal observations have shown certain clubs to be more consistent than others. So I assume they were an anomaly that would level out over a broader sample, but don't really know to what degree for me yet.

i'm curious to know how your actual, verified distances shake out. the mevo+ looks cool, but I've not heard enough good things about accuracy for me to trust it.

i'm curious to know how your actual, verified distances shake out. the mevo+ looks cool, but I've not heard enough good things about accuracy for me to trust it.
It's actually been pretty good. On accuracy I mean. It is not awesome to pull out and set up 15 separate times on course though. Slight tendencies, but numbers have been close enough through 120 measured and verified shots so far for me that if it holds true again today I will probably say we don't have to walk our happy asses down there to measure them all anymore. Which would be nice. We've been outdoors though, which seems to make all the difference for some of those things. I still wouldn't blindly trust it inside (his goal) if today is consistent again. Apples vs refrigerated apples. I would just love to be able to go to my club's range right after they've picked it, hit my balls, and trust the numbers (my goal), because doing it all on course by myself like this last year took me about a month.

Couple more hours of work and then some more mav pro time. : )

Just scheduled a fitting for tomorrow for Mavrik irons and jaws wedges! Excited to see how they feel compared to my 2014 Apex, and what some new shafts can do for me.

Just scheduled a fitting for tomorrow for Mavrik irons and jaws wedges! Excited to see how they feel compared to my 2014 Apex, and what some new shafts can do for me.
I would expect to pick up some distance. Maybe a little tighter dispersion. I had MD3 wedges before the Grandaddy. I didn't care for them. I had MD2 wedges much like yourself that I missed a lot. But, the Jaws wedges are probably now my favorite. Great feel and look similar to the MD2 from what I can remember of them

Anyone compared the Mavrik standard irons with the Mavrik Max irons?

Anyone compared the Mavrik standard irons with the Mavrik Max irons?
I have the MAX irons (just got them two weeks ago), but have not used the Mavrik standard irons. If you do a search on youtube you will find some great reviews that give comparisons.

Fitting today was amazing. Great fitter here at Golf Headquarters here in Louisville, on a Trackman.
Tested all 3 Mavrik heads. The Max was very forgiving, but veeerry chunky to me. The Pro looked really pretty, and I hit some great shots, but needed more forgiveness. That left us with the standard head. I loved the look, and it felt great (even coming from my Apex Forged).
Playing through the shafts, we landed on the Elevate tour? (120/stiff). Coming from the Modus 130, a little lighter shaft will be welcomed, and my dispersion tightened. All said, this was the most solid iron combo I have ever hit, and I cannot wait for them to come in!

We hit 7i, which my current setup was about 155. I gained about 8 yards based on the monitor, but dispersion really tightened, and even my miss hits would be decently playable. Was pretty low on spin (about 3000-3500) but my height (95ft) and land angle (~47*). Works for me. Now we wait for them to arrive!

Mavrik Standard 6i to Gw
1* flat
TT Elevate (120g/Stiff) soft stepped 1x
+1/4” length
Tour Velvet +4 grip, with 1 extra wrap.

First outside round at home this year. Managed to get in 21 holes of play. Still really trying to dial in the distances with these being only the 3rd round if played with them. The forgiveness is absolutely there. Had some toe shots that were hardly punished at all, and definitely has improved the ball flight with less moon balls. It’s going to be a work in progress to get the club choices there, sometimes I flew the green, others I was short. I’ll be hooking up the arccos this week and get some more data.

Back