Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges

Had my first great ball striking day with these wedges today. The highlight was a partial wedge from 80 yards that landed over the pin on the green and spun back about 10 feet to set up a 3 foot birdie putt. Really the first round I’ve felt confident on full swings.

Had my first great ball striking day with these wedges today. The highlight was a partial wedge from 80 yards that landed over the pin on the green and spun back about 10 feet to set up a 3 foot birdie putt. Really the first round I’ve felt confident on full swings.
Which club was it? 54*?

50°. Would have been a full 54°, but it was raining, CPO, and I didn’t want to walk back to the cart 😆
That's awesome. I'm really enjoying my 50*s.

I had a similar experience a little over a week ago with my 54* w
Landed about 4 feet behind the pin and zipped back. Mine went in though 😁

I love these wedges.

I've finally had a couple of rounds and some range time with the 60* of these I got from the Callaway/Budget event in Coeur D'Alene. Really liking it though I just don't hit the 60* all that often. I've had a couple of really great shots though from about 60-70 yards out that really made me happy. The feel of it is really nice, it is impressive.

I was an absolute menace yesterday with the MD5 54° S grind. This club has filled the partial wedge spot in my bag from 50-100 and it was on fire!!! If I can find confidence in that spot, look out!

I was an absolute menace yesterday with the MD5 54° S grind. This club has filled the partial wedge spot in my bag from 50-100 and it was on fire!!! If I can find confidence in that spot, look out!

such an important aspect of that wedge loft for my game.

such an important aspect of that wedge loft for my game.
I honestly think I was just too close to the ball and had the ball too far forward in my stance. Not sure why it took until the end of July for me to figure that out…

I honestly think I was just too close to the ball and had the ball too far forward in my stance. Not sure why it took until the end of July for me to figure that out…

sometimes it just the smallest change

That's the distance (roughly 85 yards in) that I've really begun working hard on improving. With my new 54* Jaws Raw, I have more confidence in that distance.

Do you use a 58* for 50 yards in? That's what I used to do until recently picking up my new Jaws 54*. I'm now not sure what place my 58* has. Currently, I use it out of bunkers or the occasional shot where I have limited green to work with. The 54* is so versatile that you can open it up when need be and use it more like a 58* so I'm not finding myself reaching for my 58* much.

Nice! It is always fun to lock something in!

Do you use a 58* for 50 yards in? That's what I used to do until recently picking up my new Jaws 54*. I'm now not sure what place my 58* has. Currently, I use it out of bunkers or the occasional shot where I have limited green to work with. The 54* is so versatile that you can open it up when need be and use it more like a 58* so I'm not finding myself reaching for my 58* much.
I’ve been using a JAWS Full Toe 58° inside 50, but I see myself moving to the 54° MD5 unless I really need to get it up and down in a hurry.

I’ve been using a JAWS Full Toe 58° inside 50, but I see myself moving to the 54° MD5 unless I really need to get it up and down in a hurry.
Sounds like your approach is similar to mine. Why the full toe? What does that do for you that say, a 58* MD5 doesn't? I'm curious as I'm contemplating what kind of 58* to go with to replace my SM8.

Sounds like your approach is similar to mine. Why the full toe? What does that do for you that say, a 58* MD5 doesn't? I'm curious as I'm contemplating what kind of 58* to go with to replace my SM8.
It’s just what I was fit into at the Grandaddy in December. I will say that I’m very fond of the versatility of the grind and love the look at address from the rough. And I’m a big fan of the raw face! Like my 54° I was struggling on partial and full swing shots, but maybe I’ve found a solution to the common issue.

Played 18 holes at House on the Rock Resort (Spring Green, WI) on Friday morning and for the first time ALL YEAR my wedges were the stars of the show. I was fit into a Jaws 54 and 58 wedge and they put Catalyst 80 shafts in them initially. Even when at the Grandaddy it was commented that maybe those shafts were way too light for me and that comments seems to be right. I swapped them out for some Kinettix 115 graphite shafts recently and it's been a game changer with those wedges.

Regardless I love the Jaws wedges (despite my struggles), the look and feel when I make solid contact. I had about 3 or 4 shots from 87 yards and in that I stuck within 5 feet with the 54 degree. Even got some claps on 18 from the grounds crew when I stuck one right next to the cup for a tap in par. And I had a couple shots with the 58 from the fringe that checked up really nice close to the pin. I shot one of my best scores at House on the Rock in years. Could've been even better if the driver would've behaved.

I've been tempted to drive the Jaws Raw Wedges and I might add a 50 degree to the bag soon, but I've been super happy with these in the bag this year. They don't always behave, but that's because of whats between the ears, not the clubs.

End of Season Wedge Review

This season, I had three different versions of the Jaws wedges in the bag. Jaws Raw, Jaws Full Toe and Standard MD5s. I'll give a final breakdown for each version of the wedge in each thread as well as link to the other two threads. Let's get to it.

Jaws Raw
Here

Jaws FT
Here

Jaws MD5
This is a set of wedges that has been out since 2019. And I've had one in the bag in once slot or another since then. First it was a 60*, then the following year I added a 56. Two full seasons (20 and 21) with those two clubs. So to say I was confident in what I was getting was an understatement.

They updated them with a raw release, which is what I got in the 52 and 56 slots. Performance was unchanged for me which means I trusted them to pull of a lot of shots all over the golf course. There's been plenty of talk of them and at this point if you were interested in them, I'm sure you already have hit them. What I can say though is the versatility of the offered grinds is very appreciated and it's pretty unreal how much a different grind can change perception of a club. For the GD, I got S grinds in both wedges. For the 56, I struggled a bit because of the lies I usually use that club in. Sand is where I felt like I lost performance compared to my MD5 56W. So half way through the season, I switched back to my 56W and haven't missed a beat since. The 52 S though, has been the best I've performed with a club in that slot. It's mostly a full swing club so having the jack of all trades S grind was just what I needed there.

I got a lot of miles on MD5s over the past couple years and couldn't be happier with how they performed. I've been in Callaway wedges since MD3s and I have ZERO intention of moving away from them any time soon.

19 days away from the 2021 GD run officially being over once the 22 team lands in California. These past two years have been absolutely incredible and I couldn't be more grateful that I had this opportunity. So thank you again to THP and to Callaway golf for making this trip a reality for our team, for those before us and for those to come!

I know these are well out of commission now with a wide selection of JAWS Raw wedges available used, but my 54° will be staying in the bag for another season. It’s generally my club out of the bunker (10S grind) and also primarily my club inside 105. It doesn’t carry quite as far as I’d like (maybe better bent 1° strong), but my goodness after a full season of use, I am dialed in with this wedge. I’ve learned to take partial swings with it and really dial in flight and spin in a way I’ve never done before. Definitely a quality offering with serious staying power!

Just got my custom wedges shafted up and just like @RealPretendPsychic ill be used MD5 for another season

While I do have occasional full swing struggles I really like these for everything else. I know, I know… smarter person would quit using them for full swings. But I digress. I had a lot of fun with these wedges today. 3/4 (9:00) Peltz shots were mostly money. My favorite was a 54* from 95 yards to about 4’ for birdie

Back