Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges

Anyone using the W grind in the 52? Trying to figure out comparison to a S Grind 52

I'm using the W grind in the 50. Been good so far on our moist winter fairways and rough. Like the balance when chipping. Pleased overall. I have some other wedges with the S grind which dig more for me on my home course. The W is definitely better for my swing than the S.

I'm using the W grind in the 50. Been good so far on our moist winter fairways and rough. Like the balance when chipping. Pleased overall. I have some other wedges with the S grind which dig more for me on my home course. The W is definitely better for my swing than the S.
How do you think it would work on firm ground/tight lies?

Prob not great off of hard pan. The leading edge is up though, so unless you are a real digger, I think it will be fine on summer fairways with green grass.

Anyone using the W grind in the 52? Trying to figure out comparison to a S Grind 52
W is an S without the trailing edge relief, it will have a little more "float" through the turf and more effective bounce when opening the face

I've had my 56x and 60x out on the practice green with my instructor and in practice. When I can do what he tells me, the zip I get out of these wedges is insane. I hit a couple bunker shots that were so freaking juicy. I'm thrilled with these wedges. Perfect shape. Excellent feel (like a bajillion times better than md4). And outstanding performance.

When my instructor was watching me hit shots, he flipped the wedge over to check out the bounce to see if it was working for me. He also set it on the ground and inspected it closer for how it sat when opened. He came away really impressed with it. He's a PXG guy.

I had a lot of shots with the 50° wedge today. I like to use it from 75 yards and in. I try to play varying shots depending on the distance. 72 yards and a nice 3/4 swing, I must have caught it prefect as it hit just short of the pin and spun back about 6 feet. (unusual for me) Usually it will hit and give me a hop and stop.
The amount of spin these are generating with good strikes is amazing but it does give you the confidence to really go after pins.
The other shots I like with this wedge is around the green and playing a low runner that will hit and check but then roll out 3-4 more feet.

Chipped like a demon with my 50* today. Got up and down with it to save par 5 times. Throw it at the hole, and it checks up nice. These wedges really perform.

Super small ponder, I just grabbed a wedge in 54* but did not pay attention to the Grind or Bounce.

With that said...I did like the profile. I don't remember the main differences or similarities to the MD4, but it was a nice small draw just hitting range balls in the range.

Fitter said the bite on these is what separates it from the MD4. So while I'm not in the market for wedges, hearing this made me raise an eyebrow and perhaps think about these at a later date.

Super small ponder, I just grabbed a wedge in 54* but did not pay attention to the Grind or Bounce.

With that said...I did like the profile. I don't remember the main differences or similarities to the MD4, but it was a nice small draw just hitting range balls in the range.

Fitter said the bite on these is what separates it from the MD4. So while I'm not in the market for wedges, hearing this made me raise an eyebrow and perhaps think about these at a later date.
I was a diehard Vokey fan, after getting 2 of the MD5 at ECPC fitting, I am really liking these wedges. Plenty of bite to get the ball spinning, good bounce selections. I have Recoil 95's in mine and D2 swing weight and is a good combo.

I had a few green side chips today and this is where I like to use the 50°. Very easy to play a low runner that will check up if you need it to, or can get some roll out if necessary.
I had a few shot in the 70 yard range today and I also like the 50° in this range as it easy to play a 3/4 swing and still get the ball to stop on dime.

I forgot to report back here but I got my first 3 rounds in with these wedges on grass at the Distance Bash.

I love the wedges more now that I thought I would. Where they really stood out, especially at The Conservatory on Sunday was out of the bunkers. I hit 52 deg ( 30 yd carry ), 56 deg and 60 deg and they all worked great. Only misstep was I got one a bit thin out of a light sand green side and carried the flag stick and rolled off the back. Other than that they were rock solid.

Need more time to get used the the bounce/interaction with the turf but so far not disappointed in the slightest.

Played my first full round with the 56-S and the 60-X today. Great wedges. I would say the main difference from the MD4 is that these just feel much softer on good strikes, although I'm not sure how or why.

Main takeaway is that fresh grooves are FUN.

I got my set on Friday. Still in my office. 2020 bag is coming together nicely.

I am a huge fan of the MD4s. I think I went through 3 sets, including the "tactical" version. But I love the MD5 Jaws wedges even more. The MD5s have a slightly different shape and feel softer too. And I love the look of the blue combined with both finishes. Callaway really knocked it out of the park with these wedges.

I think that one of the slots in my bag might be in trouble. I swung a 56* "W" wedge the other day......very nice!!

Just got my 54° regripped and I am in love with this wedge! The feel is addictive!

I need these grooves and the feel in the PM form factor so I can buy a 58° STAT!

Interested on which grinds everyone is using. Oddly enough, I went S grind at 10deg bounce for all of them based on how I play them. Ignoring the sand shots for a second, I stick to 1/2 shots, 3/4 shots and full shots on all 3 of the wedges ( 52 deg, 56 deg, 60 deg ). When I worked with my fitter, we spent almost 2 hours just on wedges alone and based on the shots I like to hit with the variations in face angles, we went S grind for everything and its working out so far really well. I'll validate more as a few more rounds are in.

Interested on which grinds everyone is using. Oddly enough, I went S grind at 10deg bounce for all of them based on how I play them. Ignoring the sand shots for a second, I stick to 1/2 shots, 3/4 shots and full shots on all 3 of the wedges ( 52 deg, 56 deg, 60 deg ). When I worked with my fitter, we spent almost 2 hours just on wedges alone and based on the shots I like to hit with the variations in face angles, we went S grind for everything and its working out so far really well. I'll validate more as a few more rounds are in.

It is interesting. I've had a pretty flat swing for years, coming into the ball shallow. I was fit into the 54 s grind and the 60 c. But I've been working on my swing a ton the past couple months, and I now come in much steeper ~ -5 degrees with wedges. After the Grandaddy, I picked up a 58x in the Tour Grey. I'm very interested to see how the different grinds perform for me this year.

Last edited:
I don't get too hung up on the grinds since I tend to open my wedges depending on the shot, so I want something that is versatile rather than being one dimensional, at least for my use, which is why the W grind felt so good.

It is interesting. I've had a pretty flat swing for years, coming into the ball shallow. I was fit into the 54 s grind and the 60 c. But I've been working on my swing a ton the past couple months, and I now come in much steeper ~ -5 degrees with wedges. After the Grandaddy, I picked up a 58x in the Tour Grey. I'm very interested to see how the different grinds perform for me this year.

Same here. I looked back at my fitting data for the wedges. My steep shots is right around -5. My sweep shots are -1.5 to -2 ish. I hit both to play with the bounce options and include open face shots, 50 yd flighted, etc.

I relish the 20-25 yd shots with the 60* X grind. It is fun to pop one in the air and watch it drop and stop near the hole.

Back