Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges

I relish the 20-25 yd shots with the 60* X grind. It is fun to pop one in the air and watch it drop and stop near the hole.
I'm also enjoying the 60 X. I feel like I can play all the same shots I used to play with a C grind, without the fear of chunking.

I'm also enjoying the 60 X. I feel like I can play all the same shots I used to play with a C grind, without the fear of chunking.

What made you decide on the X Grind in your highest lofted wedge? I know you’re normally shallow with most clubs through your bag.

What made you decide on the X Grind in your highest lofted wedge? I know you’re normally shallow with most clubs through your bag.
Just curiosity at first, but then I realized that I make better contact and get better spin numbers with a slightly higher bounce wedge. I really want the 60 X to stay in the bag, but I think I need the 60 PM Grind more.

Well, after finally using this outside I truly think the Jaws is a really big improvement over the MD4. The feel and balance in hand just feels better to me for some reason and the ball had a much more plush feeling coming off of it. I saw some really nice spin which was letting me get the ball a little closer to the hole. I bought the Jaws not really expecting it to stick in the bag but as of now it has that spot.

Has anyone used a 46 or 48 jaws instead of a PW from their set?

Ended up selling my Jaws Wedges. I just liked the MG2 slightly better. Not sure what was the difference but I seemed to suffer from high strikes with the Jaws. Because of the high strikes I seemed to get a lot of pop shots. I think with a fitting instead of my self fit I probably wouldn't have made the same mistake eith grinds and shaft. They have a nice shape in the lower lofts with maybe a hint of offset in the lob wedge for forward press shots.

The low bounce W was also not what I was expecting. It had a noticeably narrower sole than most other wide sole low bounce wedges.

Overall these wedges were not bad, I just liked other ones better.

I like the Jaws wedges 54°S and 58°W compared to the MD4s (52°S/56°C) and PM 2.0 (60°) I was carrying. I think the graphite shafts in the wedges that I was given (can't say the wedges were really "fit" at ECPC) were too light for my liking. I went back to steel ordering the Jaws with the KBS HI REV 2.0 shafts and really like the performance. I've only hit one full shot with the 54° and darn near holed it and I have really been enjoying the 58° out of the sand. I need to get used to the extra spin that these wedges are giving me on chips (even using the ERC Soft) as any "miss" with them is leaving them short.

I can't compare the MD5 to any previous Callaway wedges, as my previous ones were Cleveland RTX588s. I got my MD5s (54/10S and 58/10S) on Friday, took them to the practice range for a while, then played my first round with them yesterday. My short game with the MD5s was much improved - I just never felt like I could feel the clubhead or the ball on the clubface with the Clevelands and I had no touch with them. I feel more 'connected' with the MD5s, and my short game was accordingly better. I used the 54° for a few full-swing approach shots, something I never felt comfortable doing with the Clevelands. I had a few bunker shots yesterday and the 58° MD5 made them all easy outs, even in our crusty, thin bunkers.

I can't really speak to the spin much, for a few reasons; I'm not a high spin player, I don't play a urethane ball, and the greens on my home course are hard as rocks and don't hold shots anyway (most of the time you don't even leave a ball mark). With that said, the rollout on pitches and chips was about what I would expect, no surprises. Plenty happy with them overall.

I put my wedges to work today, and boy did they reward me. Due to the soft conditions, I rolled with my Tour Grey set, which includes a 58x. I fell in love with that club today. The grind works perfectly for pitch shots. And I had no issues taking full swings, though I usually don't with LWs.

On 6, I drew my tee shot into a hard dog leg right, leaving me way out of position. I laid up with a hybrid, leaving 71 yards to a back pin. I opened up the 58 a touch, moved the ball slightly forward, and took a full swing. And then this happened:

%m7k89saRq+ZEcoO5VyZfg.jpgLhpTe48xQu6%6uogjpZbtQ.jpg

My longest hole out ever!

My 52s was no slouch either. Headed into 18, I needed bogey to tie my lowest score to par and score my lowest round. I blocked my tee shot way right, well onto the first fairway. I hit PW over the trees just to get back into position, which left me 98 to the pin. When I got to my ball, I realized that a handful of people were watching me from the bar, adding just a touch of pressure. I ended up hitting the 52 pin high, about 10 feet to the right. Missed the putt, but that wedge shot preserved my PRs!

I really love the shape and feel of these wedges, especially in the Tour Grey.

It may have been because the greens were only 2 days into the season. But I am going to change my distancing totally. One hop stop with these wedges, and it’s awesome.

The last two rounds the 50° wedge has just been a life savor for me around the green. The thing I like about it the most is the versatility, I can play a hop and stop shot or if needed play it to roll out a bit.
I have Recoil 95's in my wedges to match my irons, haven't noticed any issues where I wished I had steel or heavier shafts.

Would love some advice on wedge setup. I have room for 3 wedges. I don't ever take full swings with them, I have been playing SM7 wedges, 52.12 bent 50.10S, 56.10S, and 60.04L. I absolutely love my 56.10S grind as I make great contact with it and play most shots around the green with it. I have never loved my L grind. I feel like I never have that solid feeling contact and it comes up short but don't get the spin as it rides up on the face. The gap wedge is just okay. I play to a plus index but have never played cally wedges. I have tried all the vokey grinds but never like the M grind as it always dug on me. I just don't get along with the high lofted one and am OCD about my wedges matching. My PW is a Mizuno MP 20MB. Thanks for thoughts.

I should add I tried a hi toe 64 but was too inconsistent with it.

Would love some advice on wedge setup. I have room for 3 wedges. I don't ever take full swings with them, I have been playing SM7 wedges, 52.12 bent 50.10S, 56.10S, and 60.04L. I absolutely love my 56.10S grind as I make great contact with it and play most shots around the green with it. I have never loved my L grind. I feel like I never have that solid feeling contact and it comes up short but don't get the spin as it rides up on the face. The gap wedge is just okay. I play to a plus index but have never played cally wedges. I have tried all the vokey grinds but never like the M grind as it always dug on me. I just don't get along with the high lofted one and am OCD about my wedges matching. My PW is a Mizuno MP 20MB. Thanks for thoughts.

Paging @McLovin
He knows these wedges well.

These are my custom Jaws MD5, (West Point Inspired). I have them in 50s, 56(bent to 55) 12w, and 60 (Bent to 59) 8w. very versatile wedges. Having the 12 and 8*’s of bounce gives me some options depending on the lie I have.
0582C769-C048-456E-978C-1CCC117958D9.jpeg

Last edited:

any idea if you’re a picker or a digger?

do you play most greenside shots with an open face or square face?

wha type of conditions do you play in?

i have played w grind, s grind and now x grind. i love the x grind! it has bounce for forgiveness, but without too wide of a sole.

i have 56 and 60 now. i had the 48 and loved it, but have the set aw now and think it’s better for me.

any idea if you’re a picker or a digger?

do you play most greenside shots with an open face or square face?

wha type of conditions do you play in?

i have played w grind, s grind and now x grind. i love the x grind! it has bounce for forgiveness, but without too wide of a sole.

i have 56 and 60 now. i had the 48 and loved it, but have the set aw now and think it’s better for me.
I ended up hitting all the grinds and OEMs this afternoon. The Callaway shaft was too light and just didn't feel right. I settled on the new SM8 Vokeys

50° wedge is just amazing. I will grab this wedge almost every time I am 80 yards and in. Easy to hit a 3/4 shot and get it to hop and stop. I had a shot today on a par 3 that I missed the green and ended up down the hill about 25 yards from pin. Had plenty of green to work with, and clipped the ball perfectly. 3 guys on the green watching and all I heard was keep backing up!!! The wedges have some great grooves!!!!!

These are my custom Jaws MD5, (West Point Inspired). I have them in 50s, 56(bent to 55) 12w, and 60 (Bent to 59) 8w. very versatile wedges. Having the 12 and 8*’s of bounce gives me some options depending on the lie I have.
View attachment 8932892

Duty, Honor, Country. Love it.

Need matching old grad hat

I ended up hitting all the grinds and OEMs this afternoon. The Callaway shaft was too light and just didn't feel right. I settled on the new SM8 Vokeys

seems like an odd reason to not choose a particular product when there are so many no-charge options. glad you found something that works.

Was it hte stock Callaway wedge shaft? :unsure:

Was it hte stock Callaway wedge shaft? :unsure:
Yes, I hate ordering other shafts without first trying them in the head. Sometimes they don't feel right or worried swing weight would be too much with heavier shaft. I know Cally doesn't allow you to specify swing weight or they won't port them to reduce it if necessary.

I still haven't swapped the shaft in my Jaws 56 and 60 for something heavier, but admittedly I'm getting used to them pretty quick. The fresh grooves are giving me really great stopping power, but most of all I find the feel on these to be quite nice. It's not a solid forged feeling per say, but it's very plush on good strikes.

Back