Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges

What texture sands? In medium to firmer sands I struggle with the 60X. It still has a lot of bounce, but I prefer the PM60 for those.

definitely firmer sand

54 w wide was a beast out of the sand today. Far more times than I would like l, but I got up and out every time on the first try. I also had quite a few short pitch shots today where that 30-40 yd improvements they made really shined

I had no idea who would enjoy this 58°X grind the way I have. PLENTY of stopping power and I have so much confidence in its versatility. Open it up, play it square, swing steep...doesn’t seem to matter as long as I get my weight forward and it feels fantastic. I haven’t had any bunker opportunities yet which will be interesting. Not sure if I like it better than my 58°PM Grind. It has some big shoes to fill.

I played 9 last night and my short game was bizarre: One hole I turn a drive to 10 yards short of the green into a double with a shank chip followed by a bladed chip; two holes later I chip and nearly hole out but was robbed by a leaning stick; and then the very next hole I chip in. I lost count but I may have set a single season record for chip ins already in the year with the JAWS wedges. Just love the feel and control around the greens I get with these.

First round with the 54/12 W and I think I’ve found a weapon. I had a handful of shots inside of 70yds and this one made life so much easier. As good as my 54 PM grind is, this one might be better. I don’t know if it’s a confidence thing or just the wedge and the way it sets up behind the ball, but I’m excited about this one

First round with the 54/12 W and I think I’ve found a weapon. I had a handful of shots inside of 70yds and this one made life so much easier. As good as my 54 PM grind is, this one might be better. I don’t know if it’s a confidence thing or just the wedge and the way it sets up behind the ball, but I’m excited about this one

When it comes to versatility and using it in the deeper stuff, can you compare it to PM Grind? I love both.

When it comes to versatility and using it in the deeper stuff, can you compare it to PM Grind? I love both.

first round with it and I wasn’t in any deep rough. The time I was I pulled my 58* PM and hit a nice flop shot. I will say the PM is definitely the play from thicker rough or the sand, and the MD5 gives me more confidence from tighter lies or for predictable bump and runs.

first wound with it and I wasn’t in any deep rough. The time I was I pulled my 58* and hit a nice flop shot. I will say the PM is definitely the play from thicker rough or the sand, and the MD5 gives me more confidence from tighter lies or for predictable bump and runs.

Thanks. I’m really digging the wider sole in the lower lofts lately and keeping my 60 at the PM Grind.

Thanks. I’m really digging the wider sole in the lower lofts lately and keeping my 60 at the PM Grind.

ive got the 54/w so I think the transition is easy from the PM, but I agree the PM footprint and sole makes it really easy to use, especially from heavier/thicker rough.

ive got the 54/w so I think the transition is easy from the PM, but I agree the PM footprint and sole makes it really easy to use, especially from heavier/thicker rough.

Does the transition from AW become easier too?

Does the transition from AW become easier too?

Tough to say, I dropped my set AW a while back and replaced it with a MD5 49*, so I can’t really say. I will say I’m not missing anything from the PW to the MD5 49*. When the set AW was in the transition was easy to the 54 PM.

Tough to say, I dropped my set AW a while back and replaced it with a MD5 49*, so I can’t really say. I will say I’m not missing anything from the PW to the MD5 49*. When the set AW was in the transition was easy to the 54 PM.

Super helpful, thank you

I swapped my 50 and 54 that had Recoil shafts and have the same lofts with steel KBS Hi Rev 2.0 shafts in the bag right now.
I think the steel is giving me better feed back and has improved my dispersion inside of 100 yards. I know around the green the chips with the 50 have much better feel and I have been closer to the hole.

definitely firmer sand

I feel your pain. I struggle with my MD4 60X out of firmer sand as well sometimes. Are you skipping it into the ball? I have a 54S that I'll use in those situations and just try to be on the green somewhere. If the sand is soft at all though I usually grab the 60X.

I'm due for a wedge refresh at the end of the season and these are at the top of my list. Would likely stick with the 54S but not sure what grind I'd go with in the 60 yet.

I feel your pain. I struggle with my MD4 60X out of firmer sand as well sometimes. Are you skipping it into the ball? I have a 54S that I'll use in those situations and just try to be on the green somewhere. If the sand is soft at all though I usually grab the 60X.

I'm due for a wedge refresh at the end of the season and these are at the top of my list. Would likely stick with the 54S but not sure what grind I'd go with in the 60 yet.

You could be a lunatic like me and bend your JAWS 60c and 58x each to 59 degrees, giving yourself a 7 or 13* of bounce option depending on whether its a dry or wet day. :ROFLMAO:

the ball just comes out lower, and fast. even what feel like good strikes fly way too far.

the ball just comes out lower, and fast. even what feel like good strikes fly way too far.

Yeah that is odd. I'd try a lower bounce and see what happens.

First round with the 54s and it was excellent. Been playing the 54 Hi-toe and the MD5 preformed much better for me. 100 yard shots were right on the button and they felt so nice and soft. Bought the 50s too and thats going in the bag as well. Not sure I can ditch the Hi-toe 58* but already thinking of what Md5 58 I should try. Excellent clubs.

I played the 54 w wide all day today, given the wet conditions and thick rough/fringe. Damn still so good, first wedge I have ever owned that presumably adheres to what i want it to do. If anything I have to be more aggressive with and attack the pin even more. CC/. @DNevsCG, well done and tell Roger he is still the man. 40 yd game changer.

When i go on a golf trip in early March to the Scottsdale area im always amazed how easy it is to get out of good sand. Here in the Northeast and at my club the sand can be inconsistent. Sometimes its only a thin layer of sand with clay under it . Ive always played a 56 and currently have an md4 s grind. Great out of good sand. Wondering if anyone has any experience out of the sand we get and if there is a better grind to go with in thin sand hard surface underneath. Always played the S grind.

When i go on a golf trip in early March to the Scottsdale area im always amazed how easy it is to get out of good sand. Here in the Northeast and at my club the sand can be inconsistent. Sometimes its only a thin layer of sand with clay under it . Ive always played a 56 and currently have an md4 s grind. Great out of good sand. Wondering if anyone has any experience out of the sand we get and if there is a better grind to go with in thin sand hard surface underneath. Always played the S grind.
I had similar problems with the 58° S grind in those conditions. I recently traded it out for a 58° PM Grind and have had better luck with it.

These wedges flat out perform around the greens. Yesterday, I chipped in with the 58x and flirted with several others. Today, the 60c answered, which pitches from 30+ out rolling inside 3 feet. I have a ton of confidence in these wedges to perform, no matter the shot.

50° is still my go to for chips inside 30 yards of the green. Easy enough to play the ball high or low depending on what is between me and the pin. Can get a crazy amount of spin when needed.

These wedges flat out perform around the greens. Yesterday, I chipped in with the 58x and flirted with several others. Today, the 60c answered, which pitches from 30+ out rolling inside 3 feet. I have a ton of confidence in these wedges to perform, no matter the shot.
50° is still my go to for chips inside 30 yards of the green. Easy enough to play the ball high or low depending on what is between me and the pin. Can get a crazy amount of spin when needed.

I agree, these are every bit as versatile and hate some bite to them. I’ve replaced my set AW with the 48* and I haven’t skipped a beat. The 54* is turning into a workhorse inside of 70 yds.

I agree, these are every bit as versatile and hate some bite to them. I’ve replaced my set AW with the 48* and I haven’t skipped a beat. The 54* is turning into a workhorse inside of 70 yds.

Love the 54 for chipping. I picked up the 48 too, and I’ve hit some great shots with it, but I just love my AW too much for the 48 to be in the bag everyday.

Back