Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges

Gotta wait till after work to watch this one. But, I am loving what I am seeing so far in terms of loft and bounce options. Also, that dark finish looks amazing. I wonder how the finish will hold up.

Low bounce always has my attention.

I was so impressed by the looks of this wedge in hand, especially when I did the typical golfer move, putting it at address and giving it a waggle haha

Also, 115 for a wedge shaft is so smart. The days of heavy shafts are going away quickly and this accommodates WAY more golfers.

I like my MD3 wedges quite a bit and new wedges are on the agenda this winter. I will give these a closer look. This also means MD4 wedges can be a bargain right now.

I'm not a fan of the Jaws name. MD5 is just fine for simple old me.

mikeg_74;n8904354 said:
I love the low bounce W grind idea and will help those who don't like the footprint of the PM grind, but want that help it provides.

giphy.gif

JB;n8904393 said:
Finley and AJ both had them in play at the Budget Championship this past weekend with THPers and we know there are about 20 participants that will each be getting one.

wait, WHAT?! everybody at the championship is getting this new wedge? that's awesome!

personally, i would have preferred a little less busy-ness on the back, but not a big deal. the aggressive grooves are interesting. why now? is this something that was difficult to achieve? is it something that will wear quickly, tear up a ball?

i love the shaft choices. dnevs makes a great point about lighter making so much sense given the typical shaft choices in irons. i just recently shafted my wedges with catalyst 80 and it's been a great transition for me, actually lighter than my iron shafts but i can't really tell any difference other than i can be smoother without losing control.

Snickerdog;n8904352 said:
Lots of bounce combos!!!! I never tried the previous Jaws version so looking forward to trying this one.

i was impressed by the number of rh and lh bounce/grind combos dnevs mentions in the video. i did find it interesting that he said the new lower bounce w grind option is for the better player, whereas the higher bounce option is more forgiving. i played another oem's wide low grind for a hot minute and really struggled with it. i just wasn't precise enough with my delivery. a higher bounce option seems to work much better for me as someone who struggles with short game.

Love the chrome version they look great. There are so many choices for bounce and grinds how do you pick? Maybe a THP video in the future doing a breakdown of the bounces and grinds!!!

Doubleb21 ;n8904416 said:
Love the chrome version they look great. There are so many choices for bounce and grinds how do you pick? Maybe a THP video in the future doing a breakdown of the bounces and grinds!!!

I will say there is really good one that Callaway put up of the fitting room with Dnevs, AJ, and Roger F'n Cleveland breaking them all down. It's long, like 30 minutes, but a good watch.

Looking forward to listening to the new Fitting Room podcast soon. Very interested to see which ones fit me best.

Listened to the Fitting Room with RFC this morning and unfortunately I'm still unsure what is ideal for me. I have an unholy combination of shallow angle and tons of forward shaft lean. I'll probably just stick with what I know.

I've been going lighter shafts in my wedges for that last couple of years.
Even went over that with Roger F'n Cleveland during the Grandaddy.
Just gives me a better feel with a wedge.

McLovin;n8904406 said:
wait, WHAT?! everybody at the championship is getting this new wedge? that's awesome!

Not everybody, this was a part of the second competition for anyone that beat the AJ/Finley team. Finley was nice enough to let us take a look at his MD5 Jaws at the event and I am SO impressed with the look and feel of it. Not as hefty as my old MD3 (at least it didn't feel as hefty) but it had such a good balance to it. The looks were absolutely KILLER! I think he had one in the Tour Grey color, though it could have been a custom because his didn't look as dark as the ones you see on Callaway's website. I can't wait to get my hands on one!

Are there any pictures/text for those of us who can't watch videos at work?

Apparently, Canadan is good at golf AND interviews. Two-sport phenom in our midst.

Saw these in action this weekend, perform as good as they look.

I too have been using lighter wedge shafts (Aerotech i95) in my wedges for the last few years. I find that the feel and touch around the greens and chip shots is better than steel for me at least. The only problem in this is the up-charge. I do like the 58*/8* in the Jaws!!

They look great.

I was planning on replacing my 50°, but if the new groove tech is only in 56° in higher, I'm back to pondering.

Oh man, low bounce W for us slider/sweepers...... Definitely going to need to try one of these out.

KEV ;n8904392 said:
I don't know much about the original Jaws but the extra spin and little lower flight is something I like a lot and could use. The MD4 has been a bit of a struggle for me so I'm glad to see this come out.

I'll be honest though that price point is getting to the edge of what I would spend on a wedge.

I tried with MD4, but their wedges still just miss for me. And yes these did see a $10 increase in price from the MD4. They are still 20 cheaper than the MD4 Tactical version though haha The price discussion is interesting because more people seemed to be upset about the MG2 wedges being 169, and yet these are 10 cheaper and it doesn't seem to be an issue(or hasn't yet). I still think it makes the RT4 look like they are positioned so much better at that 139 mark.

Reactions: KEV
I just finished watching both Callaway videos on YouTube and I am really considering the 52 in the S grind.

Dan's getting pretty good with this interview stuff....you think about switching careers?! Just a thought!

I owned an orig. Jaws wedge and I see why they came back with the name if they went aggressive with the grooves. I'm worried about the golf ball covers now. But more spin and lower launching = Yes please!

Jman;n8904391 said:
I can't decide if I love the look, or loathe the look.

I do know I love the return of "JAWS"

I asked Finley about the name...

First, the original X Jaws came right at the groove rule change, so there was 2 versions of that one.

Bringing JAWS back was partially a nostalgia play, and they didn't want to get stuck in a boring naming convention - 2, 3, 4, 5.

Nate;n8904623 said:
Dan's getting pretty good with this interview stuff....you think about switching careers?! Just a thought!

I owned an orig. Jaws wedge and I see why they came back with the name if they went aggressive with the grooves. I'm worried about the golf ball covers now. But more spin and lower launching = Yes please!
RC said they won't tear up your ball on The Fitting Room podcast.

Back