Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges

The Jaws 54* is so versatile for me. I can use it anywhere around the greens and is a go to club inside of 80yds. Bump and runs or high shots that land soft this one does it all. The bite it puts on the call is pretty great also. Playing the 20 CSX I have to force myself to be aggressive knowing the ball will check up.

The Jaws 54* is so versatile for me. I can use it anywhere around the greens and is a go to club inside of 80yds. Bump and runs or high shots that land soft this one does it all. The bite it puts on the call is pretty great also. Playing the 20 CSX I have to force myself to be aggressive knowing the ball will check up.
Same. My 54 is the workhorse second most usage behind my putter according to Arccos, I find myself falling back to it all the time. My 50 is full swing to 3/4. But the 54 if for everything I can think of. I’ll still lean on the 60x when it’s appropriate and I love that club just as much. But the 54 sees the majority of work and it’s been phenomenal for me.

Great thread, I am getting on the bus, just ordered 54S and 58X in Tour Grey. Can't wait to get them!

Just ordered a 54 10 bounce with tour issue S200 in like new condition from Callaway pre-owned. Looking forward to test against my MG2 54 8 bounce with aerotech steelfiber.

I am absolutely loving my 56* MD5 Jaws wedge. I feel like every time I'm between 100-115 out with Jaws 56 in hand I'm going to stick it to 10 ft. Love it!

I’m kinda itching to buy a set of Jaws wedges.
My SM8 wedges are quite good, but I’m really curious about these.

The Jaws 54° for me is good for full swings to about 100 yards, and I use it around the green for bump and runs when I want a little rollout. Anything other than that and my 58° PM Grind is my go-to greenside club, that thing is a magic wand.

My Raw wedges are rusting up quite nicely
a7e3128d389efeccb3a235528e52c667.jpg

was going to come in here and say that I saw these in person a couple of weeks ago and the rust on them looked SOOOO good. Something about this combo to me looks way better than the raw MD4 did.

Had a strong putting day with my 56* MD5 W grind. Sets up nice behind the ball. Felt like it had some nice consistency of speed and feel across the leading edge. Nice balance. Did strike a bit low on the ball once or twice that cause a bit more back spin and the ball kind of jumped before it settled into a forward roll but that's more user error.

was going to come in here and say that I saw these in person a couple of weeks ago and the rust on them looked SOOOO good. Something about this combo to me looks way better than the raw MD4 did.

I didn’t think I would like the rust as much as I do. Plus these straight up perform

Maybe the blue compliments the rust better! :LOL:

After a failed dalliance with the ZipCores, I've put an order in for a pair of these wedges to replace my MD4s that I've been playing for almost 3 solid years. 54S & 60X raw with KBS Tour V 125s. Can't wait to get some rusty wedges back in the bag.

So my 54-S arrived unexpectedly, turns out the 58-X is on back order and won't ship for about 2 weeks, assumed they would ship together. I got in a few holes yesterday evening to try it out.

First shot with it was from 50 or so yards from thick rough after an awful fat/pulled iron. Managed to hit the proper half of the green and two putt for my bogey. I would say I would make double at least half the time from that spot so we will call that a half stroke saved. Second shot was a chip to 2 inches. Definitely a full stroke saved. Last, I played 3 approach shots on a short par 4 that has given me fits. I have hit so many fat shots from that fairway I had all but given up and just hit an iron off the tee so I would have a full 8 or 9 iron instead. I played shots from 93 yards, 88 yards and 82 yards. Hit all three on the green to within 20 feet of the hole.

I could not be happier with this wedge, can't wait to get the 58-X!

Reactions: JB
Just got my 54 S. I thought people were exaggerating the amount of spin around the greens but they were definitely not. On tight lies the spin is more than I was used to but I really adjusted to hitting the ball closer to the hole and getting the spin to slow it down.

Also hit a nasty bunker shot that shot out and stopped on a dime because of the spin. I don't think I've ever done that so easily before.

Feels like I have more margin of error with these clubs. So I ordered a 48 and 60 in addition. I like the grind and the medium bounce and the standard S200 feels pretty good.

My irons were not stellar today but holy smokes the Jaws saved my skin several times in my round. The 54s is the workhorse for sure. I use it for full shots up to 110 yards and everything into the green unless I need to hit a higher soft shot with my 58x. This course has some sketchy lies and under all the trees is bare hardpan. When faced with a tight lie or hardpan I use the toe down method and the ball comes out like a nice fluffy lie. I have put in a ton of work with these wedges and it is paying off big time for me on the course.

So my 54-S arrived unexpectedly, turns out the 58-X is on back order and won't ship for about 2 weeks, assumed they would ship together. I got in a few holes yesterday evening to try it out.

First shot with it was from 50 or so yards from thick rough after an awful fat/pulled iron. Managed to hit the proper half of the green and two putt for my bogey. I would say I would make double at least half the time from that spot so we will call that a half stroke saved. Second shot was a chip to 2 inches. Definitely a full stroke saved. Last, I played 3 approach shots on a short par 4 that has given me fits. I have hit so many fat shots from that fairway I had all but given up and just hit an iron off the tee so I would have a full 8 or 9 iron instead. I played shots from 93 yards, 88 yards and 82 yards. Hit all three on the green to within 20 feet of the hole.

I could not be happier with this wedge, can't wait to get the 58-X!

The 58x is soooo good. I have mine bent to 59, and I put it back in the bag today because it had been raining for four straight days. The bounce and grind work so well in soft conditions.

Irons SUCKED again. I didn't just miss greens, I topped, shanked, hooked, and hit some wipes fades, putting me in tough positions, but my Jaws wedges were soooo good, giving me plenty of chances to save par. The 58x was especially good from 30-40 yards. These wedges do everything I want out of them, so I plan to get a fresh set next year. Maybe some raw ones...?

I have 100 percent achieved shots that I was not capable of before with these wedges. It’s fun when the ball actually stops the way you intended. The last round i had a blind approach, thought I skull it or it was flying the green and my buddy just did it skidded to a complete stop. Didn’t believe it til I climbed the hill and saw it myself.

The wedges where magic for me today. I use my 50° a lot around the greens. Easy enough to play a low runner or get the ball up a bit and land it some.
Guy I was partnered with today couldn't believe how much spin and I was getting on my shots. I was missing greens and throwing chips at the pins without thought and one putting like a madman. When using the Truvis ball you can really see the spin and how it reacts when it checks up.
Considering a 50. I bought a SM8 and it’s not what I was hoping for.

Considering a 50. I bought a SM8 and it’s not what I was hoping for.
Think you will like the Jaws 50, really versatile and gets plenty of spin. I like the KBS high rev shaft I have in mine.
What didn't you like about the SM8?

Think you will like the Jaws 50, really versatile and gets plenty of spin. I like the KBS high rev shaft I have in mine.
It’s probably all me, but it’s not forgiving at all compared to the MD’s I’m used to.

What lead you to the high rev? I been wanting to try it badly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What lead you to the high rev? I been wanting to try it badly

I wanted to switch away from the Recoil 95, wanted a bit extra weight. Plus the KBS is supposed to help spin a bit more and wanted that also.
Feel wise I like the steel better, especially for deeper rough.
Actually picked up about 4-5 yards with each wedge switching to steel.

I wanted to switch away from the Recoil 95, wanted a bit extra weight. Plus the KBS is supposed to help spin a bit more and wanted that also.
Feel wise I like the steel better, especially for deeper rough.
Actually picked up about 4-5 yards with each wedge switching to steel.

Cool. I’m debating them vs the stock steel

Continue to love my MD5 Jaws 56 S grind. This wedge does it all for me and I've even finally learned to quit leaning so hard on my 60 PM Grind around the greens.

Gotta love full swings from 115 where I can tug the leash, and a nice repeatable 3/4 swing for 95 yards and a hop'n'stop. I need some work for 50-90 yards still - I can land it in the right spots but always struggle with inconsistent releases from there, which is obviously a technique issue.

So the 58X showed up earlier than expected too (had been given a build date of 9/17, arrived on 9/10), if anything I like it even more than the 54S. Had full swings, pitches and bunker shots and every single one them was money. Best wedges I have ever owned, period.

Back