Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges

the lower lofted wedges in the md5 line are absolutely beautiful at address. to my eye, callaway nailed the shape of these wedges better than anything else in recent memory. i will be reloading md5 at the end of the year, i just love these too much to try anything else. they're perfect.

Agreed. The look, the feel, the performance. I am not exaggerating when I say the chipping part of my game was the worst part last year. Now its one of my best parts. Some of that is due to me getting pissed off enough at myself that I focused on retooling my chipping/pitching approach but a good portion of that improvement came from getting fit into the MD5's. I have made shots with these that have made my play partners go "WTF" more times than I can remember this year.

Spent some quality time with my 54* S grind on the Skytrak into a net today. I gave myself 3 shots to come within 4 yards of a specific yardage. Once I hit that yardage I would increase it ten yards. If I missed all three shots I would drop back to the previous number. I started at 50 yards and made it all the way to 130. At the longer distances it forced me to flight the ball down and I could see the ball hit lower into the net. I would never swing that hard with a sand wedge on the course but it was fun pushing it to the limit. After I could not hit it any farther I went all the way back down to 10 yard distance in ten yard increments. It became easy after a while to feel the difference of ten yards up or down. The consistency of spin and distance control with this wedge is exceptional.

50° performed well today. Great around the greens.

I think I’m due for new wedges. 52 and 56 Jaws.

My only issue with these wedges is that I come up well short on 3/4 to full swings too often. I think the wedges may not offer quite as much forgiveness as my hacker swing occasionally needs.

My only issue with these wedges is that I come up well short on 3/4 to full swings too often. I think the wedges may not offer quite as much forgiveness as my hacker swing occasionally needs.
Are you playing steel of graphite? I noticed when I got the KBS Hi-Rev that my distances increased by about 10 yards and the dispersion was better. I have better feel around the greens with the steel over the graphite also.

Are you playing steel of graphite? I noticed when I got the KBS Hi-Rev that my distances increased by about 10 yards and the dispersion was better. I have better feel around the greens with the steel over the graphite also.
Yes, graphite. But I’ve played graphite in mynwedges for a while.

Another fine day with the 50*. Couple of nice chips and some fine 40 - 70 yard shots that skipped to a stop on the green.

I'm getting a backup from CPO before they stop making these beauties. :love:

My 54S has become my go to club for almost everything around the green. Can play it back in my stance and hit something lower that checks or play it forward and have it land soft and then gently roll out. I'm not as comfortable yet going at small targets with the 58x so I only hit if the 54 isn't a reasonable option (except for bunkers, 58x has been money out of bunkers). Going to keep working on that but in the meantime, with that 54 in my hand I feel like I can get up and down just about every time.

58x is such a workhorse. It’s been tremendous out of the bunkers lately, and it’s been awesome in those 30-50 yard pitches, which have been my nemesis in the past. I’m super excited to get a Raw 56x, and pair that with my 62c.

My 54S has become my go to club for almost everything around the green. Can play it back in my stance and hit something lower that checks or play it forward and have it land soft and then gently roll out. I'm not as comfortable yet going at small targets with the 58x so I only hit if the 54 isn't a reasonable option (except for bunkers, 58x has been money out of bunkers). Going to keep working on that but in the meantime, with that 54 in my hand I feel like I can get up and down just about every time.
I am the same way. I use the 54S for everything except bunkers shots or open face flops from fluffy lies. The 58X is great for those shots but I am not as consistent with it as the 54S.

these wedges should just come with a life raft. In case of emergency pull jaws wedge. They continue to bail me out round after round. Im keeping my eye out for another 54 just to keep on backup.

Sounds like a set of Mack Daddy CB wedges may be in your future?

Two rounds with these wedges this weekend and I remain extremely happy with these. Don't have much to say other than they're working well for me at this point, but glad I went back to Callaway in this spot after not jiving with the Clevelands.

Two rounds with these wedges this weekend and I remain extremely happy with these. Don't have much to say other than they're working well for me at this point, but glad I went back to Callaway in this spot after not jiving with the Clevelands.
Curious, which Clevelands did you try? Going into my search I expected to really like the RTX but I didn't care for them at all.

Curious, which Clevelands did you try? Going into my search I expected to really like the RTX but I didn't care for them at all.

I tried the zip cores and couldn't get the distances dialed in. Dunno if it was me (most likely) or the shafts or what, but just didn't work. Full disclosure, I was playing RTX before going with the MD4s in the Grandaddy, and I've had success with plenty of CG wedges. MD5s were a seamless transition though. I also ordered them with the KBS Tour-V wedge shafts as that's what I was fitted into in the MD4s.

i hit way too many balls at the range today. a good bit were with my 56x. there was a target about 50 yards away, and i was peppering the flag with shots of all shapes and trajectories. there’s never been another wedge in memory that has given me so much joy. a reload will happen with this. i care not what any other oem puts out. for me, jaws md5 is pure perfection.

i hit way too many balls at the range today. a good bit were with my 56x. there was a target about 50 yards away, and i was peppering the flag with shots of all shapes and trajectories. there’s never been another wedge in memory that has given me so much joy. a reload will happen with this. i care not what any other oem puts out. for me, jaws md5 is pure perfection.

I’m with you. And I NEED a 56x. My 58x has gotten an amazing workout this year, performing beautifully. But if I’m going to have a “go-to” wedge inside 50 yards, I’d rather it be a 56.

i messed around with a md5 jaws 60* t grind yesterday that i liked a lot. my 56x is my go-to, but the rep suggested that i consider a different grind to give me more shot-making options. 56x for the workhorse, 60t for tighter lies and more open-faced shots. i was intrigued.

i messed around with a md5 jaws 60* t grind yesterday that i liked a lot. my 56x is my go-to, but the rep suggested that i consider a different grind to give me more shot-making options. 56x for the workhorse, 60t for tighter lies and more open-faced shots. i was intrigued.
I like what he's suggesting in general, but I can't imagine that any wedge will be better than the PM Grind 2.0 in that 60 spot, especially if you're just looking for versatility and more options.

I like what he's suggesting in general, but I can't imagine that any wedge will be better than the PM Grind 2.0 in that 60 spot, especially if you're just looking for versatility and more options.

i had that in the bag for a bit, and it was a disaster for me. that leading edge still wakes me up in a cold sweat sometimes lol

i had that in the bag for a bit, and it was a disaster for me. that leading edge still wakes me up in a cold sweat sometimes lol
Ah, fair enough. I've found you really need to lean on the bounce and open it way up to make it come alive, because otherwise that leading edge can bite you.

after almost a year of what i could consider nearly heavy use, my jaws md5 wedges still spin great. i may or may not have dunked two balls in the water off the tee, and dropped with my playing partner. i just reached into my bag and grabbed whatever ball was there, turns out it was a 2-piece inexpensive ball. not total crap, but certainly not a tour ball. hit 56 from just under 100y, and it hit the green and spun back a few feet. these wedges never fail to impress.

30 yards to the pin. Under a tree on hard pan ground over a bunker to a pin with about 15 yards of green to work with. I was faced with this shot twice in my round yesterday. It was crazy how similar these two shots were. Off of a bare lie I prefer to use a toe down bump and run shot but the greenside bunker made that shot impossible both times. Knowing I had to clip it perfectly from that lie I grabbed my 54 S grind and pulled off a great shot. The damp soil made a thud as the bounce of the club rubbed a thumb sized 1/4" divot and the ball jumped off the face over the bunker hit close to the pin and spun back just a bit. I made the birdie putt and off I went. The second shot was perfect as well. The Jaws wedges paired with the Chrome Soft X ball is a lethal combination near the green.

Back