Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges

what's the T grind? I don't see that on the website. Only the S, C, X, W and low bounce W.

Pretty sure the T grind is only on the raw, and the high lofts. It's pretty much just like the X but in lower bounce options.

Anyone that have played around with the T grind on course? From what I've been reading, vaugly formulated, is that the T grind would play like a higher bounce wedge on straight shots, less digging, but still with the look of a lower bounce wedge. True/false?

I'm split between 58 X & T grind, this would be my do-it-all wedge, green bunkers, flops, tight lies around the green, approach 90 yards and in etc. Have tested the Titleist D grind with same bounce as the X grind and while very forgiving on fuller shots it's also a bit scary when you started to manipulate the face.

Anyone that have played around with the T grind on course? From what I've been reading, vaugly formulated, is that the T grind would play like a higher bounce wedge on straight shots, less digging, but still with the look of a lower bounce wedge. True/false?

I'm split between 58 X & T grind, this would be my do-it-all wedge, green bunkers, flops, tight lies around the green, approach 90 yards and in etc. Have tested the Titleist D grind with same bounce as the X grind and while very forgiving on fuller shots it's also a bit scary when you started to manipulate the face.

It's a matter of how much bounce you like / fits your eye. None of those grinds/bounce options are TOO far into specialty category to drastically alter its uses.

I've got the S, the X, and the T grinds. My honest take is that the S is plenty versatile for EVERYTHING, and the X and T are still really great options for those that like to open the face a bit (I'm not a frequent "opener" though). I've got the 60° T grind which is 8°, so it's something I like for slightly firmer lies. The 56° X is 12° bounce and is totally fine for me as a do-it-all wedge as well.

It's hard to say. You can't go wrong.

personally, i'd say x is more versatile than t. to me, t is more specialized because it has less bounce. great for opening the face off a tight lie, but i think the x can handle a lot more lies and trajectories.

Trying to decide whether to go with:

58 T grind, then bend to 59 to steal a bit more bounce

60X and bend it one strong to take a smidge off

:unsure:

Thanks for your input @JNewsted & @McLovin!
Sounds like X would be the best one, especially considering that Swedish courses often plays a bit softer.
Unfortunately the possibility to test the X grind seem to be very limited in my area.

Any news being leaked anywhere on new wedges from Callaway this year? Or are they sticking to The MD5'S?

20210309_105041.jpg

Oh boy. The day after declaring my favorite wedges my custom JAWS show up. They have the wrong grips (knew that was coming) on the wrong shafts (didn't know that way coming) so they'll need some work before being put to work, but they look good.

View attachment 8997158

Oh boy. The day after declaring my favorite wedges my custom JAWS show up. They have the wrong grips (knew that was coming) on the wrong shafts (didn't know that way coming) so they'll need some work before being put to work, but they look good.

Yikes, wrong grips AND shafts? Whoa..... bummer....

Yikes, wrong grips AND shafts? Whoa..... bummer....
The grips I jumped on pretty early. A couple from the order showed up wrong, called, they're sending the right ones for the cluvs that were already built and changing the others. **** happens, no big deal. The 115 S200's instead of regular S200's after specifying the exact weight to make sure there'd be no confusion, is annoying. Basically unplayable for me.

[/QUOTE]
The grips I jumped on pretty early. A couple from the order showed up wrong, called, they're sending the right ones for the cluvs that were already built and changing the others. **** happens, no big deal. The 115 S200's instead of regular S200's after specifying the exact weight to make sure there'd be no confusion, is annoying. Basically unplayable for me.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I rebuilt my Jaws wedges myself and realized I swapped the SW shaft and the LW shaft! LOL.....fml.....

Thinking to punk out and cut down the LW and just add an extension in the SW. I planned to regrip them anyway and not sure I wanna completely take them apart and start over.

Ugg,... I was rebuilding a few clubs and made the silly mistake.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I rebuilt my Jaws wedges myself and realized I swapped the SW shaft and the LW shaft! LOL.....fml.....

Thinking to punk out and cut down the LW and just add an extension in the SW. I planned to regrip them anyway and not sure I wanna completely take them apart and start over.

Ugg,... I was rebuilding a few clubs and made the silly mistake.

Oh man. 😕

Do it though. I know it sucks, but to me cutting and extending would be a mistake. Pull and swap all day long.

Oh man. 😕

Do it though. I know it sucks, but to me cutting and extending would be a mistake. Pull and swap all day long.

Will go that route....and not be lazy...

I am wondering if we will see a new wedge from Callaway this fall. I have been very pleased with my MD5 54 S and 58 X grind that I have had since the Grandaddy in December 2019. The 58 X is used mainly from the sand and flop shots so it has plenty of life left. The 54 S is a workhorse that gets used a lot so I would probably upgrade if an update pops up. That S grind is versatile and works great for full and partial shots so I would probably stick with it in the next version.

I am wondering if we will see a new wedge from Callaway this fall. I have been very pleased with my MD5 54 S and 58 X grind that I have had since the Grandaddy in December 2019. The 58 X is used mainly from the sand and flop shots so it has plenty of life left. The 54 S is a workhorse that gets used a lot so I would probably upgrade if an update pops up. That S grind is versatile and works great for full and partial shots so I would probably stick with it in the next version.

It would make sense if they do, but I can't see how they could make them better. (any wedges at this point really...) I'm more than happy to stock up on some fresh MD5s at deep discount from here on out. I have a set of satin and a set of raw, and they're just so good...

I’m hoping for a forged Jaws wedge. 🤞

Going to have another wedge fitting tomorrow.
Hoping to test out a couple different grinds and see if the w grind works better in my 54*.

Might try the Mack Daddy CB as well.

Really hoping to find something for a 100 yard full shot club.

Going to have another wedge fitting tomorrow.
Hoping to test out a couple different grinds and see if the w grind works better in my 54*.

Might try the Mack Daddy CB as well.

Really hoping to find something for a 100 yard full shot club.

My Mack Daddy CB 52 is an assassin between 100-105.

My Mack Daddy CB 52 is an assassin between 100-105.

that’s what I’m hoping for. I’ve got too much of a gap from my Apex Pro AW (49*) to my 54* MD5.

plus my swing changed and I’m coming in pretty steep with wedges, so my full swings are getting chunky and losing distance (s grind).

I’m hoping for a forged Jaws wedge. 🤞

just for better feel? cuz i think the jaws feel superb out of the middle. vs md4 that i thought felt like dogsh1t.

just for better feel? cuz i think the jaws feel superb out of the middle. vs md4 that i thought felt like dogsh1t.

yep.
And I agree, I skipped the md4 as well.

Made some adjustments in my short game approach and the X is really shining on shots from the thick rough that we have right now. We'll see once it gets to summer and things thin out a bit, but still loving these wedges. At this point I think the only thing that could make me switch would be a new Jaws release.

Back