Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges

McLovin;n8904406 said:
personally, i would have preferred a little less busy-ness on the back, but not a big deal.

i take this back. saw a few more pics, as well as the custom blue shaft band and matching blue utx grip, and i gotta say these look really sharp. hehe, sharp. get it?

It's a good looking club. Am I drooling over it? No. I don't like the massive "JAWS" on the back side. It really takes away from the sleek form factor. Not going to rule it out til I hit it.

The looks are just kind of alright to me, don't love them, don't hate them. I prefer the back of the MD4 TBH. The more I look at the pics, the more I am a big fan of the Tour Grey finish. They talk about extra spin on pitch shots and that is where I thought MD4 excelled when I was reviewing them. The spin on the half and pitch shots I really felt were a step above the rest that I looked at.

The more spin thing. Does anyone find a current wedge that doesn't spin enough? I'm just a recreational internet golfer, but some of that spin thing might be related to technique too. I just want good feel and consistency. I am pretty sure these will get the job done for my needs. Lots of grind and bounce options. Look good too. But the marketing stuff? Blah. Jaws makes me remember watching the movie in the 70s and being terrified of the ocean. I don't want that reminder on my wedge!

mtcowdog;n8904896 said:
The more spin thing. Does anyone find a current wedge that doesn't spin enough? I'm just a recreational internet golfer, but some of that spin thing might be related to technique too. I just want good feel and consistency. I am pretty sure these will get the job done for my needs. Lots of grind and bounce options. Look good too. But the marketing stuff? Blah. Jaws makes me remember watching the movie in the 70s and being terrified of the ocean. I don't want that reminder on my wedge!

More spin will most definitely not hurt. I think most of us would welcome some additional stopping power with our wedges. Maybe a guy who is already backing up the ball a ton wouldn't want it.

mtcowdog;n8904896 said:

I'm a pretty low spin player and would definitely welcome a little more, especially in my 50* spot. I think a lot of people probably create more spin then me though.

The name & color scheme are perfect for a set of SJ Sharks themed wedges

Just caught the video Dan, Waiting on the wife to get off work and saw the pop up in my you -tube channels, great work....good info. Really like the fact that they are running with an 8 deg loft on some of them....now i gotta go shopping, thanks

KEV;n8904965 said:
I'm a pretty low spin player and would definitely welcome a little more, especially in my 50* spot. I think a lot of people probably create more spin then me though.

I'm with ya. I'm pumped to give these a try come December!

KEV;n8904965 said:

Good to know. I am genuinely interested. I want to move my game from recreational golfer to enthusiast, and sometimes it is hard to parse out the marketing (necessary, get it) from what might really benefit my game. I see many reasons to like these wedges and maybe more spin would be great for me. They all claim low(er) spin, and I am not clear if spin is why I would buy these over RTX4 or T-20, for example. This is one of the reasons I so value THP. We can talk about these things as golfers. I am easily seduced into brand fan mode and you guys keep me more honest.

edit: made a clarification about my bias.

Last edited:
What do you guys think the closest grind to the PM Grind 2.0 is? I REALLY enjoy that grind in my 60*.

Great interview Dan & Dave, I really like the look and the silver platinum could easily fit into my bag.

Really looking forward to trying these to see how they feel and to see how much they really bite on those 30-40 yard pitch shots. The blue combo always looks great when they go that route.

Finally got a chance to watch the video. I'm really interested in seeing what the low bounce W grind looks like in person. Even the new wider W grind will be interesting.

Grrrrrr and I almost bought wedges this morning. I might need to go back to the drawing board.

Alright, the more I look at pictures of these wedges the more I want one or two. That blue is my color!

I'm really interested in the low bounce W grind. I full swing my wedges up to the SW, but I'm also not super steep, so that combo sounds fun. The Callaway booth at the big fall demo day usually has a bunch of wedges and I'm really interested in giving these a shot.

I had a nice opportunity to look at the grey and chrome this weekend in Finley and AJ’s bags. For maybe the first time ever I prefer the grey. My OCD likely won’t allow me to go grey with the rest of my bag being chrome. I also like the MD4 looks a little better but I think that’s more about the MD4 reallyhitting the mark for me than the Jaws missing the mark. I hit one or two shots with AJ’s wedge and had to stop - steel shafts were just killing my hand. I gotta get these with graphite. And for me that will likely involve a change from Recoil to Catalyst. TBD on how I feel about this. I’ll be buying a 2nd wedge to partner with the one we won. I’m looking forward to putting them through the paces.

Hearing that they increased the width of the w grind sole, I'm curious what that looks like on the 50* and 52* w grind. Definitely a unique offering, I cant think of another company with a wide sole in the gap wedge loft.

I'm also wondering if raw versions are going to be released as well down the road. The MD4s had this.

At the very least, im stoked that the low bounce w grind is being added. The low bounce wide sole makes the most sense in my head for a lob wedge. It has plenty of protection while at the same time lots of versatility. Really excited to see these in stores and start messing around with them.

Lots of good wedges coming out now.

tequila4kapp;n8905253 said:
I had a nice opportunity to look at the grey and chrome this weekend in Finley and AJ’s bags. For maybe the first time ever I prefer the grey. My OCD likely won’t allow me to go grey with the rest of my bag being chrome. I also like the MD4 looks a little better but I think that’s more about the MD4 reallyhitting the mark for me than the Jaws missing the mark. I hit one or two shots with AJ’s wedge and had to stop - steel shafts were just killing my hand. I gotta get these with graphite. And for me that will likely involve a change from Recoil to Catalyst. TBD on how I feel about this. I’ll be buying a 2nd wedge to partner with the one we won. I’m looking forward to putting them through the paces.

I got $10 says you love the catalyst in the wedge within the first round with one of them?

Alez367;n8905280 said:
I got $10 says you love the catalyst in the wedge within the first round with one of them?
I’m not sure. I wasn’t in love with them at my fitting, and was pleasantly surprised to end up with Recoil by accident.

I listened to the latest fitting room podcast about these today with Mr Cleveland and I have to say I think I’m perfect for the x grind Jaws wedge....and in the glossy black color. That looks so good!

Great looking wedge and those groove are looking juice as well.. love that grey finish

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've LOVED the shape and spin off my MD4s, but, man, that Tour Grey finish is making me drool...

Back