Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges

The 54W compared to the 58S. The 58 has had one range, sand and short game session.

5ec26f60a7ab27cd2bea630ac05a2afc.jpg

d5ba184748e0198bcda40546b058c4d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it’s interesting to me how much the marketing blitz on this release has put rfc at the forefront

it’s interesting to me how much the marketing blitz on this release has put rfc at the forefront

I spoke with Dnevs about that when they were first launched and its great to see RFC getting in to the marketing aspect of it now.

Can anyone compare these with the SM7's?
I have an SM7 in 50. I was convinced I would replace my existing wedges with SM7s. Now it will be Jaws that replace my wedges.

FWIW

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I got 27 holes in this weekend with the 54W and 58S. Really enjoyed everything about them. The Catalyst shafts feel great. The W grind performed well, even on tight links like turf. Both clubs worked well out of the sand. The clubs feel softer than the MD4s on full swings. I love the look of the Tour Grey (or whatever they are called).

Hit the 54 a lot this weekend. One hop stop everywhere. Really liking this club

Geez, I wish I would have seen this thread (especially cuz like an idiot I just started a repetitive thread) when I started, I would have bought this wedge a month earlier than I did, I love this wedge and will likely spring for the 60 degree to go with the 56.

Geez, I wish I would have seen this thread (especially cuz like an idiot I just started a repetitive thread) when I started, I would have bought this wedge a month earlier than I did, I love this wedge and will likely spring for the 60 degree to go with the 56.

No worries at all. Hope you get the feedback you are looking for.

im loving my 50 Degree MD5 : ) Almost holed out twice last round, set up 2 tap in birdies (one ended up 6 inches, other around 2 feet). Lots of backspin on this puppy. I kinda want to replace my RTX4 56 and 60 with this one, but they are too new, so I will wait at least 7 months.

Aww yeah pretty stoked to put this one into play. It will be replacing my 60 degree p.m. grind 2.0 so there could be a bit of an adjustment period. I'm excited to try the X grind, especially to give it a chance with 3/4 swings.
20191022_170358.jpg

Aww yeah pretty stoked to put this one into play. It will be replacing my 60 degree p.m. grind 2.0 so there could be a bit of an adjustment period. I'm excited to try the X grind, especially to give it a chance with 3/4 swings.
View attachment 8911993
interesting coincidence there with us both going 60.12 X :cool:

mine is going up against my Nike Dual Sole 60 for the high-bounce wedge slot in my bag
overall the shape and sole are VERY similar, with the MD5 having slightly more effective bounce, slightly more offset and a slightly rounder leading edge

finally got to see these in person. instantly fell in love. the head shape is just perfect. can not wait to get fit for these at ecpc.

Beauty meet results
0834570E-1D9A-4F69-9641-13B0AE3F479E.jpeg

instantly fell in love. the head shape is just perfect.
It’s subtle but the improvements Callaway made over the md4 are fantastic. A bit more linear shape and I’m a fan

It’s subtle but the improvements Callaway made over the md4 are fantastic. A bit more linear shape and I’m a fan
I agree with you on looks. Feel on full swings is substantially better, IMO.

I am loving the 56 degree c grind. I had it adjusted to +1 upright at my local golf store. I like it so much that I traded my other wedges and ordered a 52 degree s grind from budget golf and it is coming +1 upright from Callaway. The wedges were the last 2 non-Callaway clubs that I had in the bag. I am expecting my endorsement deal any day...

Was able to hit a 58S and 52S on a monitor. Love the grey finish. To me they feel similar to MD3, just lighter overall. I plan to explore a few other wedges before I pull any triggers, but these would be an easy plug and play for me with a different shaft.

I am having to change my game to this club. I get a lot less roll out than my 56 was giving me, which is a good thing.

I'm just finding myself short a lot on the green.

1st round with the Jaws 60* X Grind today. It's always a ton of fun those first couple rounds with new grooves & today was no exception.
Pros:
-Looks great at address. I enjoy the shape, size ,and leading edge. Also looks great in the bag.
-X Grind works really well on those 40-90 yard shots. I'm able to open the face successfully and still retain enough bounce to be effective.
-I enjoy it around the green for any square-face pitch or chip.

Cons:
-When it comes to delicate open face shots around the green this club just isn't in the same league as the PM Grind 2.0. I struggled here, but going to give it some more time.

These wedges continue to impress. Bunkers. Full swings. Partial swings. Chips. Pitches. Feel. I’m very happy with them.

I got my 52 degree Jaws yesterday from Budget Golf (quicker than I thought it would come). I got to take it to the range today and really like it. Tomorrow will be my first round with it and I am excited to see what I can do with it. I liked the 56 degree for around the greens last weekend, but wanted something with less loft a number of times. I don’t like chipping much with my A wedge (48 degrees) because with my set wedge I can’t really open it up around the green without fear of hitting it thin.

I forgot to talk about the spin I saw today. Greens were soft and receptive which always makes it more fun.
First use was a 40 yard pitch to a far pin. Threw it 3/4 of the way to the hole, it bounced twice and hit the anchors about 5 ft short.
Had a 100 yard full swing that zipped back 10 ft or so. Would have been a better shot without the spin but #toursauce right?
Best one was a 75 yard shot out of some sticky wet rough that did a nice one hop-n-stop.

Lots of potential here. I need to get the lie adjusted and get a heavier shaft in it, but overall there's a ton to like here.

Has me pondering a bag change. Might remove the 3 wood or a hybrid and add a 64* PM Grind, that way I can keep the 60X and 56S in the bag without losing the specialty shots the PM grind let's me hit.

Few thoughts on these:

I really like the look of the lower lofted wedges. They have a straight looking shape with not to much offset. Really sets up well. I appreciate the w grind in the lower lofts.

The higher lofted wedges have a bit of a kink in the neck. While I have to play with the lie angle, I feel like the face is pointed to the right. The low bounce w grind has less sole width than the regular w grind and really makes me want to compare it to the s grind. Its currently not the same as the vokey low bounce k grind or the cobra widelow, but it is closer.

I guess I'm more fickle to Swingweight, but my first outing with these were a struggle of losing the head and catching things high on the face or fat. Had a number of duffed shots. While I did have an almost chip in for eagle, the consistency wasnt there. Upon measuring them my 52* and 58* was in at D2+. Looking at the specs for these, D3 and D4 are the target swing weights. If you enjoy a lighter wedge, this wedge not only feels light in total weight, it is light in head weight. I proceeded to cake on lead tape to get to my preferred D6 and started striking these much better. Glad I didnt get mine stamped since the entire back of the club is now covered.

Spin and launch wise, my on course testing is still lacking since I need to see how they perform post lead tape. I doubt I will see anything significant but will be on the lookout.

Lastly, the grey is currently holding up better than I expected. Even with a lot of Duffy shots the soles look pretty good. I'm sure after a few more range sessions the wear pattern will be in, but after over 100 shots they're doing pretty well.

Back