Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges

I hit the 52 and 56 in 10S today side by side with my RTX4s in the same lofts. I took about 10 swings with each club on a foresight and I found each club performed almost identically, with the Jaws having slightly more spin, about 500 rpm, on comparably struck shots. Distance and peak height was virtually identical. I was not a big fan of the MD3 wedges I have, so it was a bit surprising to me for the MD5 to be so closely comparable to the RTX4s, which I love.

some night testing of the 60.12 X vs Nike Dual Sole 60

initial thoughts: the Callaway is a different feel from the Nike. Not better or worse, just different. Bounce-wise, MD5 has a slightly higher bounce effect. MD5 seemed to peak a little lower but it's very close to the Dual Sole. I am able to hit flop shots off range mats just as well with either.

EpiGdGc.jpg

I really like the grip that comes on these.

I really like the grip that comes on these.
I was checking them out in store and really dig the grip too...it's a different UTx than we're used to (no cord apparently) but it feels great.

Purchased a 58W 8* today hope to have by Friday, One more chance at a round Sunday in a Best Shot 8" cup will be right in the bag, will post my thoughts.

I was checking them out in store and really dig the grip too...it's a different UTx than we're used to (no cord apparently) but it feels great.
If they made a green one, I'd put it on my PM Grind. I loathe the New Decade Multi Compound on it.

the tour gray finish is so freaking good in person. everybody pretty happy with how it’s wearing so far?

the tour gray finish is so freaking good in person. everybody pretty happy with how it’s wearing so far?

So far I'm pretty happy. Since it's not black the contrast with worn areas isnt as severe

So far so good for me, I am very happy with the wear:
CD6B28C0-BD98-41A8-9B9D-34E17FF0A125.jpeg
467B4455-8B0F-4D46-8E5C-06873B3021B7.jpeg

you are correct. I was fit last month at ECPC by Geritt Pon And these ar UTX with no cord made for Callaway. They are awesome!

you are correct. I was fit last month at ECPC by Geritt Pon And these ar UTX with no cord made for Callaway. They are awesome!
Ahhhh made for Callaway! Thanks for that tidbit.

Hi there did anybody try the W grind low bounce in lob wedge 58/60? I got the MD5 54W which is great for full swing and bunker shots.... currently also using a MD4 58 S grind 10 bounce and wanted to move to MD5 58 Wide Low Bounce to gain some versatility around the green... the question is would the Wide Low Bounce grind be so penalizing vs S grind in terms of forgiveness in medium/soft conditions?

Just ordered a 52* S grind to fit between my set’s 46* PW and my 58* PM grind. The PM sold me on Callaway wedges. And now, assuming the new ice age does end sometime next spring, I intend to become deadly inside 100 yards.

This is what impact looks like for a 17.5 handicap player. It’s also a good way to test forgiveness and feel. This is a 54* to a pole at 115. Toe shots felt pured and flew to the flag. Heel shots were within about 5 yards. There was virtually no dispersion difference. Heel shots felt more dense but there was zero stinging or pain into the hands. Really good performance here by these wedges.
F2C8CDFD-AACE-45EB-BC1F-BA1325F8DAD1.jpeg

As I get ready to head down to Arkansas in January. I'm looking for a 54° wedge that has enough bounce for the wet conditions that are generally there during the winter months. So would the X grind be the best or would a S grind get me by?

As I get ready to head down to Arkansas in January. I'm looking for a 54° wedge that has enough bounce for the wet conditions that are generally there during the winter months. So would the X grind be the best or would a S grind get me by?

Tough to say. Which do you think gives you more confidence?

I would go X or C over S

I haven't tried either of the X or S grinds yet as no local stores have them. But I have always struggled with the soggy conditions in January and February in Arkansas. Last February I was using a RTX4 and struggled with it. But back here in Minnesota it was lights out. So just looking for an alternative.
Tough to say. Which do you think gives you more confidence?

i hit some pitch shots with the 54s at pgatss today. man the feeling off the face is excellent with that wedge. love it!

With the caveat that these thoughts are based on only two rounds and I probably won't be able to hit my wedges outside again for a few months, here are some initial impressions on the Jaws wedges:

First, some quick background. I ended up getting a 48* S-grind, a 54* S-grind, and a 58* C-grind. I came into the Grandaddy knowing virtually nothing about what grind I need/like, so I essentially told John (my fitter) that I like to use all my wedges for both full and partial shots, but that I tend to use my highest lofted wedge almost exclusively inside 70 yards or so unless I really want to get something running. He had me try both a 58* C and a 58* low bounce W-grind, and recommended the C. He also said that the S-grind was definitely the play in the other wedges.

During our rounds, I hit the 48* probably 3-4 times from distances ranging from about 100 to about 115-20. The shots ranged from full swings to probably 3/4-ish swings choking down a little. The performance was exactly what I would have expected. Nice trajectory and excellent spin. All these shots either stopped dead or came back a little.

I think I only hit the 54* once, from about 95. Again, the shot was exactly what I expected. I wish I would have choked down slightly less because it was dead at the pin and came up about 12 feet short. But a very solid shot nonetheless.

The 58* is the club I got the most use out of and I was really, really impressed. I used this one on everything from 50 yard pitches to delicate chip shots. And I had probably the best two days of short game shots I can remember. For whatever reason, the C-grind really allowed me to be confident and play both low checking shots and high soft shots without any real fear of chunking it or blading it. In two days, I didn't come away with a single chip that I didn't think was a pretty good shot, which is definitely saying something for me. A lot of the shots were from fairways or closely-mown bailout areas, but the performance was just as good from deep rough. On #16 on the Dye, I came up about a foot short and the ball settled way down into thick stuff that was still wet from the day before. I couldn't see the ball until I got about 5 feet away. I only had about 15 feet of green to work with, so it was a pretty scary shot. I opened up the face a little and the ball popped right out and landed softly. One thing I will also say is that coming from the TM Hi-Toe 60*, I thought it was much, much easier to control the distance with the Jaws. I was far more consistent than usual.

With the caveat that these thoughts are based on only two rounds and I probably won't be able to hit my wedges outside again for a few months, here are some initial impressions on the Jaws wedges:

First, some quick background. I ended up getting a 48* S-grind, a 54* S-grind, and a 58* C-grind. I came into the Grandaddy knowing virtually nothing about what grind I need/like, so I essentially told John (my fitter) that I like to use all my wedges for both full and partial shots, but that I tend to use my highest lofted wedge almost exclusively inside 70 yards or so unless I really want to get something running. He had me try both a 58* C and a 58* low bounce W-grind, and recommended the C. He also said that the S-grind was definitely the play in the other wedges.

During our rounds, I hit the 48* probably 3-4 times from distances ranging from about 100 to about 115-20. The shots ranged from full swings to probably 3/4-ish swings choking down a little. The performance was exactly what I would have expected. Nice trajectory and excellent spin. All these shots either stopped dead or came back a little.

I think I only hit the 54* once, from about 95. Again, the shot was exactly what I expected. I wish I would have choked down slightly less because it was dead at the pin and came up about 12 feet short. But a very solid shot nonetheless.

The 58* is the club I got the most use out of and I was really, really impressed. I used this one on everything from 50 yard pitches to delicate chip shots. And I had probably the best two days of short game shots I can remember. For whatever reason, the C-grind really allowed me to be confident and play both low checking shots and high soft shots without any real fear of chunking it or blading it. In two days, I didn't come away with a single chip that I didn't think was a pretty good shot, which is definitely saying something for me. A lot of the shots were from fairways or closely-mown bailout areas, but the performance was just as good from deep rough. On #16 on the Dye, I came up about a foot short and the ball settled way down into thick stuff that was still wet from the day before. I couldn't see the ball until I got about 5 feet away. I only had about 15 feet of green to work with, so it was a pretty scary shot. I opened up the face a little and the ball popped right out and landed softly. One thing I will also say is that coming from the TM Hi-Toe 60*, I thought it was much, much easier to control the distance with the Jaws. I was far more consistent than usual.
It was really fun watching you work with these in the round we played together.

y’all..........

so if any one cares to read my ramblings, you’ve probably seen me self deprecate about my wedge game. it’s an affront to wedge games to call what i do a “wedge game.”

i’ve put a lot of work into my wedges over the past couple years. tons of work around the greens, even getting lessons this year. sadly, nothing seemed to stick with any consistency.

i was very keen on the wedge fitting aspect of our fitting at the ely callaway performance center as part of the 2019 grandaddy of em all. fortunately, my fitting didn’t take too long and we had time.

available to us in our fittings was the jaws md5 lineup. i had hit these wedges about a week before the grandaddy, but indoors on a sim with no real feedback. that said, i loved the shape and the feel. both seemed to be a dramatic improvement over the md4 that was a struggle for me.

fortunately, my fitter gerritt was able to give me time to hit the wedges. based on my mechanics, he wanted me to start with the x grind, and we started with the 56. it was love at first strike! the feel and flight were perfect, and i was hitting my number precisely.

then we hit some waist high pitches. the contact was so dreamy. even gerritt piped up with some “nice” and “that’s what we’re looking for.” so seriously, it was one test and done. no need to try anything else because how do you improve on perfection?!

something very interesting was the shaft gerritt wanted for me. again if you have followed my journey, in my wedge lesson this year i was using a 56 with a dg s200 shaft. the instructor said it was way too heavy and wanted me in a 60g graphite shaft! i compromised with 80g graphite and really came to enjoy it. but gerritt wanted me in something a little heavier. during the fitting we hit tour issue dg s400 and he loved what he saw. ultimately the spec sheet said s300, so that’s where i am. what a change from where i was, but it’s been great.

day 1 i had a ridiculous amount of success with these wedges. i had some excellent up-and-downs, some tasty approaches, and all around good stuff. it was borderline emotional for me to have that kind of success with a wedge in my hand, it’s just been so damn frustrating for YEARS.

day 2 wasn’t as good unfortunately. reverting back to some issues, but the misses were so much better than the past. i give so much credit to the x grind for bailing me out.

this morning i took the 60* wedge to the practice green by house. this area has a small green with tons of slope. the surrounding grass is very grainy, and in spots pretty soft for whatever reason right now. the test today was going to be to decide whether the success i saw at the hideaway was a result of the wedge, or the quality of the grass on that pristine course. i am so excited to say it’s the wedge!!! my work this morning was a freaking blast. low pitches, high flops, short sided softies, 40y dead handers, you name it. this wedge is a freaking workhorse. sure i hit some stinkers, but nothing like i’ve been doing.

i think what i’m so impressed with in the jaws is the shape and feel. it’s just perfect. they absolutely nailed it with this release. add to that the aggressive grooves and you have a winner.

i’ll be checking back in as i put more time in with these wedges. but i have to say this is the one area of my bag i was totally lost on and needing a fitting, and thanks to thp and the grandaddy of em all i have the perfect fit!

All I can say about these wedges is wow! I hit a 54 degree 3/4shot from 85 yards and sucked it back 15 feet. New groves and all but wow!

Love the grind and bounce options and look at address is the most classic look of any wedge in golf IMO!

RFC did a great job and the groove tech is unmatched.

I love my MD5 JAWS 54* 8* bounce C grind and 58* 10* bounce S grind. They feel great and I strike the ball consistently well with them, plus the feel shots are very consistent. Couldn't ask for anything more.

Last edited:
Back