Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges

Fitting was moved to tomorrow. Anxious to see what the W grind is all about.

Got to hit several different bounce and grind options, and as expected, I really just need more bounce than I’m getting with my 54S. It’s costing me yardage and creates too large a gap from Aw to 54.
Ended up with the 54W which really felt so much better interacting with the grass.
also went with a 58S for some versatility and knockdown shots that I like.
Going to add the TT elevate tour shafts to match my irons as long as the wait isn’t too long. Same with finish, whatever is in stock.

I did get a chance to hit the new Jaws forged, and it is awesome. Unfortunately the grind/bounce options aren’t available like the regular Jaws, so it didn’t work for me, but it was nice!

I think I may look at swapping testing a 54s out, in place of my 54 PM Grind19. I like the PM grind in the 58, but looking to switch things up in the 54 and want something where I can hit a variety of shot with. Looks like they're around $80 now in like new condition on CPO, just not in 54s.

I had a really fun time hitting these wedges this weekend. My favorite shots were (a) the 62* opened up to clear a massive pine tree and land pin high from 75 yards, and (b) the 56 from 92 that stopped within two feet--even I could make that putt.

3DCCA575-69E3-4162-BDDC-D8D63DA1D89B.jpeg

My 62 is also beginning to rust nicely after a couple damp rounds.

059773F6-50F1-4A06-8521-47E6D9D6E72E.jpeg

idk why but i have played these pretty well...probably because blue is my favorite color?

i absolutely adore these wedges. my favorite shape. my favorite feel. just so much confidence.

i’m trying to order some jaw wedges right now. 56 and 60. the question is do i go x grind for both, or x in 56 and t in 60?!

20210525_233136.jpg

I don't love them. I score well enough with them though that this seemed like the right move.

I don't love them. I score well enough with them though that this seemed like the right move.

Mine are due for a refresh here eventually. I do love mine and will likely be grabbing another 54/60 at some point, but want to go see what else is out there before I pull the trigger.

I played the 54s and 58w from the end of 2019 through 2020 and loved them. After getting fitted for new irons in 2020 I ended up getting a 56s and a 56w both adjusted to 55 and a 60w adjusted to 59 so that they would gap better with my new set of irons. I also had the same shafts installed into them. Well this year I used the 56w (55) during the damp portion of my season and I have to say I’m now also playing it during the dry and it’s just as good! Also I was a little afraid to use the 60w (59) for chips and full shots but oh man I feel like a sniper/Phil Mc with it. Love these clubs!!! I may have to buy a few more to keep in storage because I’m afraid Callaway is going to ruin a good thing with the next “upgrade”

I played the 54s and 58w from the end of 2019 through 2020 and loved them. After getting fitted for new irons in 2020 I ended up getting a 56s and a 56w both adjusted to 55 and a 60w adjusted to 59 so that they would gap better with my new set of irons. I also had the same shafts installed into them. Well this year I used the 56w (55) during the damp portion of my season and I have to say I’m now also playing it during the dry and it’s just as good! Also I was a little afraid to use the 60w (59) for chips and full shots but oh man I feel like a sniper/Phil Mc with it. Love these clubs!!! I may have to buy a few more to keep in storage because I’m afraid Callaway is going to ruin a good thing with the next “upgrade”

If you like the W grind, you may want to give the X a try on the 60˚. We play in soft conditions here 8 months out of the year and it's been great for me around the green. The heel/toe relief makes it super easy to open up, even in the fairway if needed. I do get a little too cocky with it sometimes though and think I'd be better suited going with the 54S.

Some new pics hitting the social medias….

Just in time for the US Open.

Full face grooves on some Jaws wedges? I’ll take two!

Maybe just full face grooves and not Hi-toe...?

still a pass for me. i get the idea and i'm not doubting that it works, but i hate the look at address.

still a pass for me. i get the idea and i'm not doubting that it works, but i hate the look at address.

I think that's fair. I'm prone to miss on the toe with certain short game shots, especially when I open up the face a little, so having extended grooves helps minimize the knuckleball shots.

I think that's fair. I'm prone to miss on the toe with certain short game shots, especially when I open up the face a little, so having extended grooves helps minimize the knuckleball shots.
I play a lot of "Up heel" Chips off the green, would think the extended grooves would help.

I would really like to know more about these new wedges... Hope they come out with more some info soon.

Some new pics hitting the social medias….

Just in time for the US Open.
Haven't seen the pics yet, but full face grooves on a Jaws wedge would have my full attention.

For the people that went to the MD5s from another wedge, did the MD5 weight significantly more than the previous? Someone I played with said they were much heavier than SM8s.

Back