Callaway Odyssey Triple Track -vs- Taylor Made Spider X & TP5 PIX

GraniteRoost

Flying Rocks
Albatross 2023 Club Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
6 Grint
Which to you feel is a better alignment tool, and why? I'd love to hear your thoughts... let's break it down. I feel like there is a perception that Triple Track is the first and last word in "three line" alignment. A competitive optical technology on Taylor Made Spider X came out in January 2019, and uses three contrasting colors for alignment. (There have been other similar concepts i.e. Odyssey MarxMan putters that also have three parallel alignment lines.) Spider X came out the same month as Callaway's ERC Triple Track golf ball, which also uses three contrasting colors to aid alignment. Now in 2020, Taylor Made adds matching alignment technology in TP5 PIX 2.0 balls, and Callaway extends Triple Track to their putters. For those less familiar:

Spider X & TP5 PIX
"The hottest putter model on the PGA TOUR just got even better. To celebrate the 10th year of Spider putters, we’ve built upon every technology and design to create Spider X—fully redesigned and optically engineered to provide more stability and a reimagined approach to alignment."

SPDRXCWSB_NOCOLOR_ADD

TP5X-pix-2020-Clear-Path-Align-1~H900_Mcrop_P50-50.jpg

Callaway Triple Track

triple-track-banner.jpg

So honestly, which is a better method and why? Both companies claim that the contrasting colored markings aid alignment. What do you think?

Triple Track in a landslide.

Why? It’s literally science based.

Triple Track in a landslide.

Why? It’s literally science based.
This. I know people have different preferences but Triple Track is legit technology.

I still don't see it with tp5 pix...I'm a doubter

Look up Vernier Acuity.

Cool. Believe it or not, I've actually been sitting here Googling aligment optics and parallel lines with much success.

Here are a couple of Callaway golf related answers to that lookup for anyone interested. I'm sure there are others. Three lines improve alignment 12% on a 10 ft. putt over single line alignment systems is a quantitative sound byte.

http://www.golferpacific.co.nz/newsblog/2019/3/24/vernier-acuity-you-know-what-i-mean

https://blogs.umsl.edu/news/2019/02/08/triple-track-callaway/
Also some pretty decent info around here on the science behind the triple track

Triple Track. It is just so easy to get the putter perpendicular to your intended line.

Just based on feel I’m going Odyssey. Then add science....not close.

Is there any science at all behind TP5 PIX?

Or was TM just trying to add some sort of alignment aid to a ball?

The cool back story here that I just learned, is that a private entrepreneur developed, patented, and then licensed to Callaway his invention over a period of 8 years. Triple Track was a long time in the making. As a guy who has lived at the intersection of engineering, new products, academia, and small-business for my whole career, this is pretty cool to read (excerpt):

"...It took more than eight years, but Barrett’s invention – with an assist of scientific backing from Bassi and his UMSL colleagues – is finally making it to the marketplace. Golf giant Callaway licensed Barrett’s patented Triple Track technology and added it to the new line of ERC Soft golf balls, which hit shelves on Friday.

“I learned a lot from Ray in terms of that power of persistence and sticking to something and believing that this is going to work,” Bassi said. “This is such a cool thing for UMSL. This is the very kind of thing UMSL does that is often overlooked. UMSL provides services to the community in terms of research. That’s a really important thing, that we’re able to provide expertise when we can to help people in the community.”

Triple Track
Entrepreneur Ray Barrett sinks a putt with the new Callaway ERC Soft golf ball featuring his Triple Track design as UMSL Optometry Professor Carl Bassi tends the pin at Normandie Golf Club.
Barrett, the founder of international companies Landshire Food Systems and Biomedical Systems, originally conceived of the lines because internet research told him they would help with visibility. He approached Bassi about testing the invention, and Bassi helped identify the phenomenon: vernier acuity, a person’s ability to see discrepancies in alignment among line segments..."

Is there any science at all behind TP5 PIX?

Or was TM just trying to add some sort of alignment aid to a ball?

The thing I particularly like about the new PIX (internet golfin' here, have not obviously played them yet), is that they combine the elements of Truvis and Triple Track into one. Visually to me the ERC to me is a love/hate thing, and I'm not sure I love it yet. Truvis... I liked them initially bu they have been trending love/hate. The new PIX shape is clean and with tracking built in, the sum of the parts is looking pretty good.

I think if Triple Track improves accuracy 12%, PIX is probably worth at least something. I'm really interested to try both side by side all of a sudden.

So if Callaway has licensed patents on Triple Track, does TM have IP on PIX? :unsure:

I hate to say it, but I feel the TT is the better option overall. I REALLY hate to say it because I just received my new Spider X! Ouch.....

I'm actually considering having the TT lines painted on the Spider.

Look up Vernier Acuity.

I wonder how this affects those of us that're blind... err... can't see too well out of both eyes. 20/400 in the left leaves me guessing more often than not when putting.

I’m not a fan of Truvis or Pix. Triple Track I can do however I wish the lines were black instead of blue and red.

I'm not a fan of the spider but I think I'd be more interested in the pix 2.0

The thing I particularly like about the new PIX (internet golfin' here, have not obviously played them yet), is that they combine the elements of Truvis and Triple Track into one. Visually to me the ERC to me is a love/hate thing, and I'm not sure I love it yet. Truvis... I liked them initially bu they have been trending love/hate. The new PIX shape is clean and with tracking built in, the sum of the parts is looking pretty good.

I think if Triple Track improves accuracy 12%, PIX is probably worth at least something. I'm really interested to try both side by side all of a sudden.

The Alignment part really doesn’t change on PIX, right? Still using the same line.

I’m not a fan of Truvis or Pix. Triple Track I can do however I wish the lines were black instead of blue and red.

The colors are a big part of what makes the tech so effective, all one color wouldn’t work as well.

Having used neither ball, I am just thinking the TT looks cleaner and more intuitive. Actually have never used a line of any kind for putting, this is something that I planned on trying this season. Current stats show me at 1.7 putts per hole over 80 rounds last season, hoping actually using a physical alignment line improves that.

Triple Track for my eyes!

Do you think they would ever remove the white and just have the TT putter alignment lines? I feel that would look that much better. Right now it's exponentially loud and distracting.

Do you think they would ever remove the white and just have the TT putter alignment lines? I feel that would look that much better. Right now it's exponentially loud and distracting.

I believe the white background is part of the visual aid. It forces the blue and red lines to stand out, thus allowing your eyes to focus on those. If you just put the lines on a black putter, it would likely be less effective, as the blue (especially) could start to blend in with the black.

Back