thecolonel

Reaction score
Handicap
I have xr speed but sure that many necks are same...

My query is.... I want the face to be as open as poss

So I have gone N(neutral) - 1 (loft)

Because I have read that reducing the loft opens the face(weirdly!)

Is my setting correct for most open face?

Thanks all

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

yes that would be the most open setting

I have xr speed but sure that many necks are same...

My query is.... I want the face to be as open as poss

So I have gone N(neutral) - 1 (loft)

Because I have read that reducing the loft opens the face(weirdly!)

Is my setting correct for most open face?

Thanks all

I still go back and watch this Video:

Let's say you bought yourself a Callaway Epic driver, but did not get fit for it. You want to know the best way to maximize the distance with all of those settings available.

THP TV went right to the hosts of the Fitting Room Podcast at Callaway Golf and had them dial in the Dean of THP strictly through the settings without ever hitting a shot.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/h...y-epic-driver/

Ok thanks. Ideally I'd like to open the face more but appreciate that I can't. And also my ball flight is a little low as a result of the open face setting.

So it got me thinking that I should have a 12 ish degree driver where I can deloft by 1.5 or 2 degrees and that will really open up the face but give the loft that I really want of about 10/10.5

So which drivers/fitting necks do this? I'm sure all you Gurus will know...

Thanks

Install a left hand adapter and play it in the draw setting. I didn’t check out the other threads posted so they might say the same thing.

Quick addition...., your lofts will be opposite if you do that. -1 is actually +1.

Install a left hand adapter and play it in the draw setting. I didn’t check out the other threads posted so they might say the same thing.
You mean if I do that then I can deloft by 2 instead of 1, thus opening the face even more?

Yup! Unless I’m really confused, I’m 99% sure that you can do that.

Ok, but actually I'm not in love with this XR speed, thinking of changing to another driver so...

A. Is there a driver that you can open the face without delofting?

Or

B. Is there a 12 degree driver than you can deloft to approx 10.5 thus opening the face?

Also be interested to know when you deloft by 1 deg by how much are you opening the face?

Thanks all

Now we’re talking:)

The smaller series M1/3/5 430/440 clubs are very anti-hook. I don’t think they offer the smaller heads in 12* loft though.

So I don’t think you could loft down to 10.5* as I think that is the highest loft offered on those. If lots of forgiveness is a concern, you might not like them either.

You could also limit the lefts with a heavier shaft that’s pretty tip stiff. I don’t know what weight you normally play in driver, but something like a 75 gram HZRDUS Yellow. You can also try using a larger grip, midsize or even oversized.

The best advice would probably be to see a teaching pro and take a lesson though.

Now we’re talking:)

The smaller series M1/3/5 430/440 clubs are very anti-hook. I don’t think they offer the smaller heads in 12* loft though.

So I don’t think you could loft down to 10.5* as I think that is the highest loft offered on those. If lots of forgiveness is a concern, you might not like them either.

You could also limit the lefts with a heavier shaft that’s pretty tip stiff. I don’t know what weight you normally play in driver, but something like a 75 gram HZRDUS Yellow. You can also try using a larger grip, midsize or even oversized.

The best advice would probably be to see a teaching pro and take a lesson though.
My dilemma is this. I'm a 7 handicap but short guy and short hitter. Fairly straight but the lefts cost me more than I'd like.

Ive always had the lefts, not as bad nowadays but still there. Lessons helpn ometlmes but they ain't going away permanently, they're part of my swing DNA!

My typical shot shape is straight to Left ie it's not a proper draw(starts RIGHT draws left). Then the next shape is launches left side, draws into left semi/rough. And the real bad one starts well left..... Drives me insane!

So I might as well have a driver that suits my action, and opening the face of the XR really helped.

For last 8 years I've played those Cleveland Launcher Ultralites. Was advised by a prominent fitter to use them due 90mph swing speed(and below on a bad day) And I've liked them. But face is a touched closed even on SL 290

But now thinking 8 years of technology later there might be 10 yards I'm missing out on. The XR hints a bit at that too to be fair, ball speed does appear as higher but yet to trackman it

Back to the diemma... Whilst not a ball striker or a long hitter, I feel I would benefit from a driver suited to such a player. Maybe I should try some Tour heads but with a 'regular' shaft.

One other idea I've had overnight is to get the Cleveland TL310 as that is a little open faced but thats 10 year old technology.

Hence looking for a relatively modern driver, suitable for slow/medium speed but with an open face or adjustability option for that. Which of course is not how they typically come, they normally build drivers for people like me with all this anti slice technology and I loathe those as they go SUPER left for me.

Also wondering about the Wilson D300, looks nice but don't think it has an open setting

Any ideas welcome tjanks

Just get into a shop and try a few you like the look of as I find the looks can cause me to hook a club big time.

For me I hate the lefts on my X2 hot so I got a grafalloy bi-matrix which is super tip stiff and has helped me a lot with a straight to fade as my standard shot

Just get into a shop and try a few you like the look of as I find the looks can cause me to hook a club big time.

For me I hate the lefts on my X2 hot so I got a grafalloy bi-matrix which is super tip stiff and has helped me a lot with a straight to fade as my standard shot

I’ll second this. The way you perceive it looking often will dictate the shot you hit. So if you find one you like the looks of, getting the right shaft can help. You’re right on the edge of playing stiff. I’d try one if you aren’t already playing one, in a heavier weight, with it being tip stiff. Ideally you’ll get to try several to find one that feels right.

As to your point about swing flaws, we all have them. It’s what makes golf a game that can never be perfected. In two consecutive holes I may hit a pull hook and then a block slice. If I could just figure out how to hit a pull slice or a block hook, I might be ok:)

At any rate, good luck to you!

Back