Callaway Optiforce Driver Preview

Tommy 'two gloves' jumped from 88th on tour in driving distance to #1 this week with this in the bag. The guy shot -8 yesterday and hasn't been able to find the course with a GPS all year. I think Callaway may be on to something.

Tommy 'two gloves' jumped from 88th on tour in driving distance to #1 this week with this in the bag. The guy shot -8 yesterday and hasn't been able to find the course with a GPS all year. I think Callaway may be on to something.

It was impressive. Missed only 1 fairway all day and then in his post round interview talked highly of the driver.
He is using the 440 model.

It was impressive. Missed only 1 fairway all day and then in his post round interview talked highly of the driver.
He is using the 440 model.

It doesn't stop at him either, Eurotour players are seeing similar results. Lighter club, fast ball speed equals smart technology. If average golfers can get similar results, I have a feeling this will be in quite a few bags.

What shaft is Two Gloves using?

I know the line between SGI, GI, and Players clubs are pretty much gone, but if I had to judge by the new graphic that Callaway posted to Facebook, their line of Drivers would range as follows (from SGI to Players)

Xhot
Optiforce 460
Xhot Pro
Optiforce 440
RFX

581650_10152982747275640_948882459_n.jpg

Last edited:
I know the line between SGI, GI, and Players clubs are pretty much gone, but if I had to judge by the new graphic that Callaway posted to Facebook, their line of Drivers would range as follows (from SGI to Players)

Xhot
Optiforce 460
Xhot Pro
Optiforce 440
RFX

I can't get to Facebook to grab the graphic to post here, but I thought it was a pretty good one.

Also, any thoughts from guys who may have had a chance to try this in IL this weekend (unless you've been asked not to share thoughts yet)?

Got to hit this over the weekend. Not that many times. Version we had to test was the 440cc that had the Diamana shaft in it. I'm not a huge fan of the look of the sole, but rest of it is very nice. Great head shape and the blue shaft really looks good.

Super muted at impact. Much different than the other 2013 Cally drivers for me. I made it go left every time unfortunately. Saw some very good balls hit with it though.

Last edited:
Got to hit this over the weekend. Not that many times. Version we had to test had the Diamana shaft in it. I'm not a huge fan of the look of the sole, but rest of it is very nice. Great head shape and the blue shaft really looks good.

Super muted at impact. Much different than the other 2013 Cally drivers for me. I made it go left every time unfortunately. Saw some very good balls hit with it though.

Did you get a chance to hit the FW? How does it compare to the HXhot line?

Sorry t4k. We didn't have the fairway wood.

Got to hit this over the weekend. Not that many times. Version we had to test had the Diamana shaft in it. I'm not a huge fan of the look of the sole, but rest of it is very nice. Great head shape and the blue shaft really looks good.

You're welcome.

That driver is really intriguing. I thought it would be way too light and not very playable for me, but it was really solid. Very impressive driver that I suspect can be a bomber with the lighter weight and increased SS.

I'd like to try the PX Velocity shaft.

I got a chance to hit this over the weekend and I must say I am very impressed. Not a huge fan of the sole, but it's the sole so it's not a deal breaker.

I was not a fan of the Diamana shaft in it but got some pretty good results out of it. With the right shaft I really think this could be a winner. I would love to spend some more time with this and try a few shafts in it. Could be a real winner and it looks like the guys on tour think so as well.

I hit the 440 with the diamana. Its was a fine club. The sole looks stupid. Sorry but it does. They could have left the lines off of it or made them a matte black. Overall the club reminded me a little of the classic pear shape blended with the RFE. Looking down at the club I had no issue getting line up and hitting down the target line. Muted at impact but solid feeling. I like a little more sound to my driver than this offered. Mix this and the fister together and you might have a nice sounding driver. I didn't have a chance to hit this on a monitor so I don't have any hard numbers. ..just visual. Flight seems to be climbing then falling off fairly steeply indicating to me higher than needed spin, but no ballooning. It didn't visually look to be any longer than my current gamer or the Fister or the Covert I hit.

Overall just another nice driver option for those out there who like lighter drivers. It didn't feel overly light to me, but I like sub 70 shafts anyway so I tend towards the lighter offerings anyway.

I would love to know the reason for/benefit of the... weird... indentation? in the middle of the sole.

I would love to know the reason for/benefit of the... weird... indentation? in the middle of the sole.

It's all aerodynamics my friend. Uh, I think? Dang you stumped me. Maybe it makes the ball go farther.

Really liking the shape of this club and the 440cc is sweet. I've never done well with Callaway drivers but I'll have to give this one a try.

Exactly my thoughts, it fits the Cleveland black/ superfast mold, and could really help those looking to gain SS. A couple people have said they think this will take sales from the RFX, but I just dint see that at all, they seem like very different drivers.

You pegged me right here. The RFX was a bit too low launch and low ball speed for me but not by a lot.

If this brings both up for me with all the adjustability it offers. It will be in my bag quickly.

I have been reading as much as I can on this one, and to say I am intrigued is an understatement.

It's hard to make any concrete judgments on one night. I really moved the ball left with it. I like the way the X-Hot sounds better. A little more pop. This was one super muted for me.

It's hard to make any concrete judgments on one night. I really moved the ball left with it. I like the way the X-Hot sounds better. A little more pop. This was one super muted for me.
I think I would be ok with that.

It's not a deal breaker by any means. I'd really like to try the lighter shaft just to see the difference.

Did anyone go head to head with an xhot?

Not at the same time Freddie, but it's my normal gamer. I would take the X-Hot if I was basing it off the short time I hit it on Friday night. Not really a fair comparison though just because of the short time involved.

Im all about first impressions. I wonder if the sound was more pronounced it would make it more impactful. If like to
See some numbers. I thought the xhot pro had a muted sound when I first hit it. Now I really notice the sound. I'm excited to hit the Optiforce

Im all about first impressions. I wonder if the sound was more pronounced it would make it more impactful. If like to
See some numbers. I thought the xhot pro had a muted sound when I first hit it. Now I really notice the sound. I'm excited to hit the Optiforce
You thinking you might like the lighter weight?

Back