Callaway Optiforce Driver Preview

I don't normally fare well with the ultralight drivers, so I would be surprised if this one was a big winner for me. I look forward to watching the video this evening though to hear how they explain the line.

The new big stick looks Freaking Sick!!!
I'm seriously head over heels right now with all the specs and looks.
It's got a solid look without being flashy and appearing too much.

My thought is its for the aging player. He was/is a low handicap, and still hits the ball well, but has lost the swing speed he had, and doesn't hit as far as he wants. He still like players clubs, but would like to gain SS through a lighter club, without giving up the precision and ball flight of a "players" driver.

Thanks Wake, way to give us "seasoned" golfers a warm fuzzy. :D

I have been impressed with Callaway's offerings this year and the Optiforce sounds like a great addition to the line-up. I look forward to a demo once these drivers hit the shelves.

After watching the video, I am more curious about these than I was before. From the Callaway website, it looks like the Drivers are starting at the $399 price point, so by no means a bargain offering.

One of the things that struck me while watching this was that with the one year anniversary of the 5 year war just hitting, I'm wondering if this is the first driver/FW that had it's entire development cycle since Callaway started changing directions. Doc seemed very proud of these, even more than I have seen in prior videos.

Why are so many people hung up on the look of the bottom of the club? It can't be seen at address, I just don't get it

I guess I'm not the only one not really understanding the release of this driver. I haven't watched the video yet, so I don't know all the details. Just seems odd to me that here it is July and were releasing yet another driver. I'm sure it'll sell and that's great and that's the point, it's just weird to me.

I guess I'm not the only one not really understanding the release of this driver. I haven't watched the video yet, so I don't know all the details. Just seems odd to me that here it is July and were releasing yet another driver. I'm sure it'll sell and that's great and that's the point, it's just weird to me.

Same here. Great Preview by Hawk, but just a little confused on the market they are gunning for. By now everyone (except us forever pondering hacks) have their bag for the year. That being said, they are a great company for a reason, they must know something.

Its for a different segment, its not a replacement for any of the current line.

Why are so many people hung up on the look of the bottom of the club? It can't be seen at address, I just don't get it

I would say most likely because whenever you look at sites or magazines or wherever you are shown pictures of the sole. Does it effect the look of the crown and how it sets up to my eye, heck no. But whenever you go to a site and pull up the page for drivers you only see the sole design, so it's easy to compare which one you like and which ones you don't. As for this one, I think the sole is kind of eh, doesn't really do it for me. But I can't wait to hit it and see how it performs.

I think that's whats confusing to me to be honest. I listened to the podcast, watched the video, and I am still confused. If this club is designed around ball speed, and ball speed determines distance, than what are the other two lines targeting? Especially now they have a 440CC "Players" club and a 460CC "Forgiving" club.

If were talking about the newest hotness, so be it. If anything I have learned there are plenty of golfers with money to burn. But this driver is confusing to me in a 3 club lineup. I would be OK with the X Hot being the "Value" line and this being the "Premium" line. I can not imagine selling ANY Razr Fit Extreme after this club hits the shelves.

Same here. Great Preview by Hawk, but just a little confused on the market they are gunning for. By now everyone (except us forever pondering hacks) have their bag for the year. That being said, they are a great company for a reason, they must know something.

No way. Most golfers never have their bags set.

I Harry's last interview with JB, he touched on the sale cycle of clubs in 2013. After listed to that interview on ITR this release makes sense.

Adding a light weight fully adjustable driver just brings in another segment of the population

I will say call me confused that so many are confused with this release. And I think it completely changes once people get more info and get a chance to test it and get some numbers.

They have a driver line that was released in November of last year. They have a driver line that was released in January of this year. Now they have a driver line that is released in July of this year as a compliment to the other two.

I guess my question to all those wondering, is why were there no questions when the 3Deep was launched? They released the RXT FW in Novemeber of last year. X-Hot FW in January of this year and 3Deep last month or so. Why were people not wondering where that fit in the lineup? Because it looked and/or was explained differently?

Would it be better if Callaway had said "We have a new adjustment technology and want to release it to golfers as soon as possible."?

No way. Most golfers never have their bags set.

Truth. Stone cold truth.

I Harry's last interview with JB, he touched on the sale cycle of clubs in 2013. After listed to that interview on ITR this release makes sense.

Adding a light weight fully adjustable driver just brings in another segment of the population

BINGO! Nailed it.

I still don't get it. I'm sorry. I mean, is the targeted segment of that golfing population so big that they have to have their own driver? Are the Razr Fit Extremes or XHot's like swinging tree limbs? I'm totally rooting on Callaway to become the top dog in the golfing world because I love the makeup of the company and their interaction with us hacks, but I just don't see how this will make any headway in accomplishing that. I just don't want to see them become Taylor-Made, in their quest to overtake Taylor-Made, I guess is what I am saying. I feel that Taylor-Made just floods the market with some pretty underwhelming stuff some time.

I still don't get it. I'm sorry. I mean, is the targeted segment of that golfing population so big that they have to have their own driver? Are the Razr Fit Extremes or XHot's like swinging tree limbs? I'm totally rooting on Callaway to become the top dog in the golfing world because I love the makeup of the company and their interaction with us hacks, but I just don't see how this will make any headway in accomplishing that. I just don't want to see them become Taylor-Made, in their quest to overtake Taylor-Made, I guess is what I am saying. I feel that Taylor-Made just floods the market with some pretty underwhelming stuff some time.

That is like saying should a company make players irons in my opinion.
If a company feels as though they have new technology that helps about half the golfing public, heck yeah they should release it.
I have yet to see a downside.
It puts Callaway back in the news.
It offers more choices for consumers.
It adds a light weight option for those that are looking to gain speed.
Innovation and more choices always lead to better things for consumers.

That is like saying should a company make players irons in my opinion.
If a company feels as though they have new technology that helps about half the golfing public, heck yeah they should release it.
I have yet to see a downside.
It puts Callaway back in the news.
It offers more choices for consumers.
It adds a light weight option for those that are looking to gain speed.
Innovation and more choices always lead to better things for consumers.

I don't know. It just comes across as an identity crisis or not being completely sold on the other product that is out there for people to choose from.

I thought the Callaway Talks video did a great job of explaining this driver and it's reason.

I thought the Callaway Talks video did a great job of explaining this driver and it's reason.

Me too buddy. Its why I love those videos. Always PACKED with solid info.

I don't know. It just comes across as an identity crisis or not being completely sold on the other product that is out there for people to choose from.

You think so?
Honest question. How long does a company have to wait before releasing a product and not having it be confusing? Im having trouble typing this where it does not sound condescending, but I truly am not meaning it that way.

Callaway Optiforce Driver Preview

I think it is!

How many women, seniors or heck men swing above 95mph? Lighter head, lighter shaft equals the ability to pick up club head speed. Increased club head speed=increased ball speed=greater distance.

Launch club in July give snowbirds time to try it get fitted before they make their way south for their winter grounds and rounds. Sounds like a great plan to me.

You think so?
Honest question. How long does a company have to wait before releasing a product and not having it be confusing? Im having trouble typing this where it does not sound condescending, but I truly am not meaning it that way.

Really good question and a good follow up would be:

Should company simply do limited timed releases regardless of when they've created the product, or should they release their new products as they become ready for market.

So, along those lines of thinking, should club companies not offer shaft options for their drivers?

I mean, the company should be sold on their stock offering, right?

You think so?

I guess the confusion lies in the product cycle. If I remember correctly, Harry talks about a 6-month cycle for equipment or something like that. I think what's materialized is essentially two types of manufacturers, those who profit in volume and those who profit in margins. Ping, Mizuno and Titleist all seem to do very well and most of their product lines have a 2-year life span. They are clearly focused on margins and will wring out the maximum amount of sales from a product line before releasing an update.

Callaway and TaylorMade on the other hand seem to do a massive amount of front end business with massive marketing campaigns. Then with a few months goes by a price drop to reinvigorate sales. Fast forward a year and the next -ier or whatever is released.

I am not knocking the practice, but I can't remember the last time a new major OEM product was released mid-season which I think is what is odd about this release. .

Back