Callaway Optiforce Driver Preview

Sorry buddy, not with the pre-release stuff we got. Good news is that it hits stores soon, so feedback should be relatively quick.

I figured as much. Oh well. Excited to hear feedback, as I know there is no chance there will be a LH demo anywhere near me haha

I figured as much. Oh well. Excited to hear feedback, as I know there is no chance there will be a LH demo anywhere near me haha

Just watch me in Branson. I'll let you know what it would be like to hit it left handed. "Great club. Great feel. Ball really explodes off the face. I bet it would suck to hit this as a left hander." :act-up:

JB, can we hope to see these at the Atlanta Invitational as well?

We should be able to accommodate that.

Outstanding request Lee and great answer JB. I'll be very curious to try this out in Atlanta and compare it to the XHot I just bought (but haven't yet hit).

You think so?
Honest question. How long does a company have to wait before releasing a product and not having it be confusing? Im having trouble typing this where it does not sound condescending, but I truly am not meaning it that way.

i think there are several excellent points being made but also think the frequent product releases are no different than what you see in the digital retail world and are a sign of the times that we live in. The golf industry is gonna do what they gotta do to maximize profit and make shareholders happy and if it means accelerated product releases so be it. It's today's retail and consumerism plain and simple.

At the end of the day, it's like buying a new iphone...or other smart phone - the product release frequency really needs to be a non-factor - it comes down to cost vs. benefit. Will it significantly improve my game above what's in my bag enough to make the cost (including the ration of crap given by significant others) worth it?

Having said that, i am supremely confident this comment will bite me in the arse hard when they roll out the PS4 in Nov. :doh:

I think we proved at the outing that hitting opposite handed clubs is easy.

Also of note: this driver comes in at 46" and the 460cc version has a D0 swing weight. Wtf? D0 for a driver? And 46" long seems a bit long, no? I get the feeling that both of those things combined will make this driver a bit tough to hit. I won't know until I actually do hit it, but that just seems odd.

46" has become farely common these days. And I remember the Adams 9088UL marketed as having a "desirable" D0 sw. I also think the latest W/S driver is D0, but I'm not sure if that's true.

I guess my question to all those wondering, is why were there no questions when the 3Deep was launched? They released the RXT FW in Novemeber of last year. X-Hot FW in January of this year and 3Deep last month or so. Why were people not wondering where that fit in the lineup? Because it looked and/or was explained differently?

Would it be better if Callaway had said "We have a new adjustment technology and want to release it to golfers as soon as possible."?
In a way, yes. Up to this point each of the offerings made logical sense: RXT/adjustability, XHot/long, 3Deep/FW off the tee and targeting particular players. Here we have a product that seems to simply combine the existing product lines and has a lighter weight shaft. Implicitly it is merely another way at producing something longer than the XHot, which itself was supposed to be long(er/est). That is great. Seriously. But the timing and explanation are confusing to me - did they really come up with aerodynamics and lighter shafts 6 months too late to incorporate into the XHot line? Is it reallymore aerodynamic? How? How much? On top of that it doesn't replace anything, which is also confusing. Why should I buy XHot instead of this (or vice versa)? Same question with RXT.

This is not merely a b*tch session or pointed rhetorical questions. I am going to buy a 3W and want it to be a Callaway. I was on the cusp of going in and being fitted between the XHot and 3Deep but now am confused about how and where this offering might be in the mix.

In a way, yes. Up to this point each of the offerings made logical sense: RXT/adjustability, XHot/long, 3Deep/FW off the tee and targeting particular players. Here we have a product that seems to simply combine the existing product lines and has a lighter weight shaft. Implicitly it is merely another way at producing something longer than the XHot, which itself was supposed to be long(er/est). That is great. Seriously. But the timing and explanation are confusing to me - did they really come up with aerodynamics and lighter shafts 6 months too late to incorporate into the XHot line? Is it reallymore aerodynamic? How? How much? On top of that it doesn't replace anything, which is also confusing. Why should I buy XHot instead of this (or vice versa)? Same question with RXT.

This is not merely a b*tch session or pointed rhetorical questions. I am going to buy a 3W and want it to be a Callaway. I was on the cusp of going in and being fitted between the XHot and 3Deep but now am confused about how and where this offering might be in the mix.

But truthfully, you could ask those same questions to any company out there.
Why would you buy the R1 vs the RBZ
Why would you buy G vs I vs Anser? (all released at different times, just as this was)
Why would you buy Black vs Classic?
Before this launch, why did one by X-Hot vs RXT?

I think the takeaway for Callaway might be that if many of us golf geeks are confused they may want to take another look at their messaging. If we don't get it the masses probably won't either.

When does the FW hit the market? Do we know the price point?

I think the takeaway for Callaway might be that if many of us golf geeks are confused they may want to take another look at their messaging. If we don't get it the masses probably won't either.

Do you think the average consumer focuses on release cycles and release dates? Or focuses on new and shiny?

Per the Callaway website, it looks like the driver is $399 and the FWs are $229.

Do you think the average consumer focuses on release cycles and release dates? Or focuses on new and shiny?

New and shiny ftw

For what its worth, I dont think we have seen Callaways message yet.

I just like trying different things. Interested in the smaller one. I imagine these will be in Atlanta as well?

I just like trying different things. Interested in the smaller one. I imagine these will be in Atlanta as well?
I believe JB said they would be earlier in this thread.

I saw mention of Chicago and Branson, must have missed Atlanta.

I'm glad I held off on buying a driver now. Can't wait to hear all about this thing.

I am not very picky about looks so have zero issues with the way this one appears in photos, I actually think it looks pretty good.

Looking forward to taking a few swipes in Branson....not a high SS player so something like this may be what I eventually need.

THP Preview on the new Optiforce Driver (and FW) is up on the home page. Ryan H delivers all the goods of what you will expect to see out of the new Callaway lineup. Check it out here.

http://bit.ly/14I3nfM

Thought I'd get this thread back on topic about the club and not release date and confusing the masses.

Watch the video, Harry and Doc get into some good tech speak.

My biggest issues are the stock shafts and that the new optifit doesn't go to an open setting. Really callaway? Closed and neutral only? Big swing and miss for those of us that don't slice the ball.

Slices are way easier to fix then hooks. Having the ability to open the face just 1 degree can be huge.

The project x shaft is quite disappointing. I know that club makers target 70% of the masses but I shouldn't be forced to pay upwards of $250 for my proper shaft. I've never hit a project x that was worth it. They just don't handle the lefts/hooks very well.

The fairway has me most intrigued but I'd like to see the black or white tie shaft in there instead. Which means I'm really only interested in the rfx fairway woods because of that HUGE and unnecessary upgrade fee.

Hopefully callaway will release this new optifit to the rfx line but I've got a feeling the rfx line is headed out the door. Which is a bummer because it's the only reason I've given callaway another shot.

If possible can people that hit these at the outings also hit the XHots? I'd appreciate a little head to head comparison. (3 woods). Thanks.

For sure. I'll have a driver to compare with as well.

It is going to be 'funny' when I end up purchasing this 3W after commenting so much about the confusion of this line...

Meh, it's a couple golf clubs. I'll take some swings, see what I think, and go from there. I'm not running businesses over here lol.

My biggest issues are the stock shafts and that the new optifit doesn't go to an open setting. Really callaway? Closed and neutral only? Big swing and miss for those of us that don't slice the ball.

Slices are way easier to fix then hooks. Having the ability to open the face just 1 degree can be huge.

The project x shaft is quite disappointing. I know that club makers target 70% of the masses but I shouldn't be forced to pay upwards of $250 for my proper shaft. I've never hit a project x that was worth it. They just don't handle the lefts/hooks very well.

The fairway has me most intrigued but I'd like to see the black or white tie shaft in there instead. Which means I'm really only interested in the rfx fairway woods because of that HUGE and unnecessary upgrade fee.

Hopefully callaway will release this new optifit to the rfx line but I've got a feeling the rfx line is headed out the door. Which is a bummer because it's the only reason I've given callaway another shot.
Being a fan of the open face & playing a more of a cut shot with my drive, I too am surprised no open setting will be made available. Now saying that, I don't know if the neutral setting is already set to a degree or two open like the other drivers as I can't seem to find anything about that.

I do like the look of the 440cc driver and would game in a heart beat if it suited me.

Back