Callaway Optiforce Driver Preview

No attacks meant here towards anyone.
The only thing I don't understand is the "too many options" problem.
How can more options be a problem?
I have heard this same statement from some of my other golf buddies, but no one can make me understand the problem with having several choices.
The driver looks great. Is it too light for me? (I like em a bit heavier) I don't know but I would really like to find out.

No attacks meant here towards anyone.
The only thing I don't understand is the "too many options" problem.
How can more options be a problem?
I have heard this same statement from some of my other golf buddies, but no one can make me understand the problem with having several choices.
The driver looks great. Is it too light for me? (I like em a bit heavier) I don't know but I would really like to find out.

It's like electronics. Certain people want to comfort of having the latest and greatest.

I was born at night. I just wasn't born last night. I've been around here long enough to know when something I have said has been taken issue with. It is what it is. Whatever.

I agree 100%. Offerings are a great choice and if it helps the masses play better golf, by all means. Become a jelly of the month club for all I care. But market it as such. As James said, we are the 5% here (informed and educated). We're not blind and we can read between the lines and know gimmicks when we see them. I'm not saying this is a gimmick, I'm saying, if you are a targeting a group of golfers, market it to them as such, so they know exactly what they are getting, instead of luring them in and bailing on them in a few months.

This I agree with. I personally think super light drivers have a place in the marketplace for golfers. While some might say "well superfast line, Cleveland line, etc...", others will look and see that drivers have gotten lighter and lighter overall over the past decade and done quite well. It is all about making sure the club is in the right hands.

I would like to see a driver marketed on the "spin" line of low, mid, high, etc, but the problem with that is, most golfers hear spin off the driver and think side spin. And further adding to that, the big buzz words right now are high launch and low spin for drivers, which does not suit this. If marketing could educate better (and I think it could), this would really help the average consumer understand.

I don't think anyone wants Callaway to fail. Competition breeds innovation. I think their products are amazing to be honest, I game many of their new offerings and appreciate what they bring to the table.

Im sure what Callaway is doing is going to better the product lines across the board. Lets face it if you want to maintain a ranking in hard goods in this market then you need to keep up with the movers and the shakers. My remark to wanting them to fail to some degree was more aimed at the consumer that has established a homer point of view though.

I was born at night. I just wasn't born last night. I've been around here long enough to know when something I have said has been taken issue with. It is what it is. Whatever.

I agree 100%. Offerings are a great choice and if it helps the masses play better golf, by all means. Become a jelly of the month club for all I care. But market it as such. As James said, we are the 5% here (informed and educated). We're not blind and we can read between the lines and know gimmicks when we see them. I'm not saying this is a gimmick, I'm saying, if you are a targeting a group of golfers, market it to them as such, so they know exactly what they are getting, instead of luring them in and bailing on them in a few months.

I don't see it dude, just a good discussion.

It's like electronics. Certain people want to comfort of having the latest and greatest.

Ohhhh... don't get me started on electronics...I'm in the IT business and I see the fast pace of that stuff all the time. LOL

This I agree with. I personally think super light drivers have a place in the marketplace for golfers. While some might say "well superfast line, Cleveland line, etc...", others will look and see that drivers have gotten lighter and lighter overall over the past decade and done quite well. It is all about making sure the club is in the right hands.

I would like to see a driver marketed on the "spin" line of low, mid, high, etc, but the problem with that is, most golfers hear spin off the driver and think side spin. And further adding to that, the big buzz words right now are high launch and low spin for drivers, which does not suit this. If marketing could educate better (and I think it could), this would really help the average consumer understand.

the last paragraph, if a company marketed and proved their driver did this, I would probably buy it no questions asked. I personally didnt like the Superfast line, but that doesn't mean the concept doesn't mean Callaways offering wouldn't work.

I want it even simpler to be honest, have three lines, Super Game Improvement, Game Improvement and Players lines.

I want it even simpler to be honest, have three lines, Super Game Improvement, Game Improvement and Players lines.

The lines are so blurred between those 'categories' today that wouldn't be possible.

Why? If there is a 4th option, is that somehow throwing you off? What if and when you hit this its the best ever, what then?

Is it wrong to want something other than Chocolate, Strawberry or Vanilla ? (just kiddin)

The lines are so blurred between those 'categories' today that wouldn't be possible.

Im with you JL. There are no categories anymore despite the labels that get thrown around. What makes a club a players club? Tour usage? Smaller? Onset rather than offset? Arent both of those the same crutch, just reverse?

I read the home page a couple of times and like the idea of this club. It reminds me of the Cleveland Black. I think a lot of people can use a club like this but I think the marketing to get it people's hands may be tough. I hope club fitters and sales people recommend players give this a swing. Oh and the looks well in my mind red and black are always a good look.

It comes down to playing what performs best for a given golfer. Who cares what it's categorized as.

It comes down to playing what performs best for a given golfer. Who cares what it's categorized as.

I agree completely man. Maybe the titles give someone an idea of where they want to start in their search for a new product, but ultimately it's what the person is comfortable with and performs the best.

Bank on this. If it's in Branson, I'm hitting it. I'll allow the club to shut me up.

Why? If there is a 4th option, is that somehow throwing you off? What if and when you hit this its the best ever, what then?

I am more of a Chipotle guy then a Cheesecake Factory guy. I see the potential in reduced SKU's by doing a few things amazingly well.

Bank on this. If it's in Branson, I'm hitting it. I'll allow the club to shut me up.

It will be there buddy. And truthfully I think when you hit it, your feedback will be great. Love it or hate it, I think you will see major differences between the other lines.

It will be there buddy. And truthfully I think when you hit it, your feedback will be great. Love it or hate it, I think you will see major differences between the other lines.

It's on like Freddie Kong. I only have experience with the Razr Fit Xtreme when I was in Ohio, which I wasn't a huge fan of (didn't hate/didn't love). I try not be a driver snob, I just have a particular feel and sound that I like and the only drivers that have ever delivered that for me is the one I currently game and an old Cleveland HiBore I had. I'll give anyone a fair chance though.

The driver appears to be geared towards those that want some assistance in gaining swing speed. I think you will find this driver to be perfect for those that have a slower swing speed (sub 95 lets say) and want to achieve maximum carry.

As a female golfer with an obvious slower swing speed I can tell you that this is the first time a men's club club has me intrigued enough give it serious consideration. It seems like it's a club that could be used by both genders to a certain degree.

I'm Looking forward to a fully adjustable driver from Callaway .

I'm not a fan of adjustable clubs. I understand the logic of what it brings to the majority of the golfers but to me the whole point of learning to play this silly game really well is to learn how to send the ball where you need it to go. IMHO, seems less challenging to rely on club adjustments to do it for you. And no, I am absolutely NOT talented enough to hit deliberate draws and fades as needed.

I can also say that these drivers will be at the IL Invitational this weekend and THPers in attendance will be some of the first consumers that get to try them out.

JB, can we hope to see these at the Atlanta Invitational as well?

Also of note: this driver comes in at 46" and the 460cc version has a D0 swing weight. Wtf? D0 for a driver? And 46" long seems a bit long, no? I get the feeling that both of those things combined will make this driver a bit tough to hit. I won't know until I actually do hit it, but that just seems odd.

Not that I am holding my breath but is there a LH one in this bunch JB?

Not that I am holding my breath but is there a LH one in this bunch JB?

Sorry buddy, not with the pre-release stuff we got. Good news is that it hits stores soon, so feedback should be relatively quick.

Back