Callaway Pre Owned - Big Berthas

poloi6125

Reaction score
Handicap
I went all in and bought my first "good" set of clubs after playing with a Wilson Ultra beginners complete set for five or so months. I ordered the 2004 Callaway Big Berthas from Callaway Pre Owned and got them on sale for around $130 in "good" condition. Do you think this is a good deal? I figured since they were pre owned and will be 8 years old, they might have been cheaper but I guess not maybe because of the brand? I can't wait to get them. Hopefully they help my awful game!

I know CPO is pretty fair with their prices. and usually conservative with their ratings, so it should be a good buy.
I went all in and bought my first "good" set of clubs after playing with a Wilson Ultra beginners complete set for five or so months. I ordered the 2004 Callaway Big Berthas from Callaway Pre Owned and got them on sale for around $130 in "good" condition. Do you think this is a good deal? I figured since they were pre owned and will be 8 years old, they might have been cheaper but I guess not maybe because of the brand? I can't wait to get them. Hopefully they help my awful game!

Another question... It looks like it comes with 4-9 irons and a pitching and gap wedge. I usually play only courses that have par 3's and a couple par 4's. Do I need to invest in some woods and/or a driver for now or will this do?

It wouldn't hurt to grab a cheap 3 wood if you are not wanting to spend much money. What is your budget (I assume you have a putter, right?)
Another question... It looks like it comes with 4-9 irons and a pitching and gap wedge. I usually play only courses that have par 3's and a couple par 4's. Do I need to invest in some woods and/or a driver for now or will this do?

It wouldn't hurt to grab a cheap 3 wood if you are not wanting to spend much money. What is your budget (I assume you have a putter, right?)
I agree, a 3 wood at minimum needs to be added to the irons, if the par 4's on the courses that you play have any length at all you will need it.

Thank you all. Is the 3-wood the only wood I will probably need? I read that many people use a 5-wood as well. I figured since I don't own and can't hit a driver, I will use the 3-wood off of the tee if it is par-4. Where is the need for a 4-wood, 5-wood, 7-wood, 9-wood? I didn't know if those clubs replace an iron or what. When I was ordering my irons and bag, the customer service rep at Callaway Preowned mentioned getting a 4-wood instead of a 3-wood since it would be easier to use. What do you all recommend? I still need to get a putter as well but since it is probably getting too cold to play at a course, I will wait until it is warmer to try them out and purchase a used one. I heard that Odyssey's are good.

Okay, I will give you a quick breakdown about equipment.

Driver-- Hits the longest, is the least accurat. This is a 1 Wood.
2-9 Woods-- reffered to as "fairway woods". Can be used from tee or fairway. Look like a smaller version of a driver. Higher number= shorter distance.
Hybrids-- A mix between a wood and an iron. These replace your longest irons if you want. They are generally easier to hit that a long iron.
Irons-- what you just bought. These are your "scoring" clubs, built for accuracy.
Wedges-- A special type of iron, for shot distance shots and around the greens.

Does that clear stuff up? PM me if you have any questions.

Also, if you are on a budget, pick up a 10 dollar putter from WalMart or Academy. They perform the same, and feel shouldn't be a huge concern to you right now.

I would go with a 3 wood. You need solid distance that it can provide. Get a model with a large clubhead. TM makes a slightly older model called the Superfast that is a bomber. They are a little expensive, but worth it. Crazy easy to hit.

I would go one step farther and recommend you start with a 4 wood,the 4 wood is the new 3 wood,lil more loft and a lil easier to hit.IMO

Back