Callaway RAZR Hawk & Diablo Octane Drivers

Nice! I think that will help a ton. Bring some $$$, cause it's not going to be cheap.

I will bring you no money!

Good, b/c I think you're Razr Hawk is going to come alive with a better shaft in it.

Good, b/c I think you're Razr Hawk is going to come alive with a better shaft in it.

Thats the plan broham!

I hit both the RH and the Octane Black Tour at the range last night.

Thoughts -

RH - I hit this with a 10.5 loft and the stock Aldila RIP in stiff. The shaft does not feel like a stiff flex at all. It feels more like a regular, as I could almost feel it whip around me. This ruined the driver for me. Wasn't getting it up in the air with this shaft at all. The weighting felt a little weird compared to my R9 460 too, almost like it was heavier near the hosel for some reason.

Octane Black Tour - slightly smaller head, with the Project X 7c7 shaft in stiff. Shaft felt a little sturdier in this one, but again I just wasn't launching it up at all. Consistency wasn't there in the slightest, so it wasn't for me.

I think your thoughts on the stock shaft are spot on. Its definitely not a stout shaft as I had no issues swinging the stock stiff but still didnt care for it either.

Sounds like it was a shaft issue and not a driver issue paulo.

I think you're right, and it was disappointing to say the least. Couldn't give a fair verdict on the driver itself. Strange, because I remember not minding the stiff flex RIP in the Titleist 910D3. Maybe a slightly different made-for version?

I think you're right, and it was disappointing to say the least. Couldn't give a fair verdict on the driver itself. Strange, because I remember not minding the stiff flex RIP in the Titleist 910D3. Maybe a slightly different made-for version?

I think they are different shafts, although they say the same things on them.

I believe they are Paulo. The RIP in the Razr Hawk Tour feels a lot different and worked phenominally. I went with a different shaft but wouldn't hesitate to put the Tour RIP back into play. Not a lot of feeling but the results were outstanding.

I think your thoughts on the stock shaft are spot on. Its definitely not a stout shaft as I had no issues swinging the stock stiff but still didnt care for it either.

Glad to know it wasn't just my impression then.

I think they are different shafts, although they say the same things on them.

That would make sense. Just a shame I probably won't be able to swing one with a good shaft in it (for my game) without pulling the trigger on one.

I want a Hawk with the new Fubuki coming out!

So I was near a Golf Galaxy yesterday running some other errands so I stopped in. I ended up hitting both the Octane and the Hawk in the bay. I liked the octane and specifically the projectx shaft for my swing. That being said I found the hawk to be a little longer for me, but hated the RIP for my swing. It came off as a little whippy or off I dunno, and the GG monitor agreed. It just wasnt right compared to the projectx shaft which I found more stable. I have a bit of a steeper angle of attack paired with not the smoothest transition in the world which generates a little too much spin and occasionally the face not being where it needs to be. I actually found the Hawk more forgiving for my swing because my miss tends to be more towards the toe rather than high on the face.

The GG guy said they actually had a trade sitting in the back which was a 10.5 hawk with a project X 6.0 65g shaft in it, so he brought it out and let me hit it. All I have to say is that it was money for me. It launched lower than the rip, but the dispersion was a lot better for me. Needless to say we worked out a price and I was swiping my credit card at the door before I knew it with the lightly used Project X Hawk for the same price as a new Octane. I'm pretty excited to get this thing in play but it probably wont be until the end of next week since it will likely take that long to dry out with the 15"+ of rain we've had this week. Plus by then my new Eidolon wedges will be here too!

Last edited:
I hit both the RH and the Octane Black Tour at the range last night.

Thoughts -

RH - I hit this with a 10.5 loft and the stock Aldila RIP in stiff. The shaft does not feel like a stiff flex at all. It feels more like a regular, as I could almost feel it whip around me. This ruined the driver for me. Wasn't getting it up in the air with this shaft at all. The weighting felt a little weird compared to my R9 460 too, almost like it was heavier near the hosel for some reason.

Octane Black Tour - slightly smaller head, with the Project X 7c7 shaft in stiff. Shaft felt a little sturdier in this one, but again I just wasn't launching it up at all. Consistency wasn't there in the slightest, so it wasn't for me.

i hit these too with Paulo at the range and had similar results.

the RIP shaft just felt soft and resulted in a couple of slices and pulls as i tried to control it.
the octane tour was better and i hit a couple of good shots with it, i think i could have got used to this one but would have needed a bit more loft.

the interesting stat from the night was my current driver out performed them all, and Paulos R9 outperformed both callaways for me...so the older drivers beat the young boys on this occasion..

I dropped of my Octane this afternoon as well as my brother's Razr Hawk, a massive procedure is underway. The Project X 6.0 Tour is getting pulled out of my Octane and installed in One-T's Razr Hawk, and the Matrix Radix is going in my Octane. We'll be picking them up tomorrow.

I dropped of my Octane this afternoon as well as my brother's Razr Hawk, a massive procedure is underway. The Project X 6.0 Tour is getting pulled out of my Octane and installed in One-T's Razr Hawk, and the Matrix Radix is going in my Octane. We'll be picking them up tomorrow.

Thats awesome, If i remember correctly that Matrix Radix was money for your wasnt it? Wondering how it will do in the Octane compared to the R11

I think the Hawk will be soaring in Raleigh soon

Thats awesome, If i remember correctly that Matrix Radix was money for your wasnt it? Wondering how it will do in the Octane compared to the R11

Hopefully we find out soon dude! But yes, it's a great shaft, and an affordable one at that. OEM Kevin has the Radix in his Razr Hawk and he loves it.

Hopefully we find out soon dude! But yes, it's a great shaft, and an affordable one at that. OEM Kevin has the Radix in his Razr Hawk and he loves it.

Ya i saw that in the MC videos, I was shocked(good shocked) at the price of it but thats for another thread. I will be watching for the update

I was able to hit the Hawk at a Tour Van demo day today. I hit a fair about of balls with it and with multiple shafts. I was a bit confused with the fitting but liked the over all performance of the driver. Here are some quick thoughts about the drive and then I will post about the fitting experience after that.

Looks- I like the looks from address. The head did seem a little small, but had nice clean round shape to it. It is not distracting at all. I think it is just a solid looking driver head.

Sound- This is one of my favorite features of the driver. It is sorta like the Mashie sound. Just a solid thunk that sent the ball down the range. No annoying ping or high pitch sound that drives me nuts.

Feel- I could definitely feel if I hit it way on the toe or heel, but it was hard to tell if you had an off center hit.

Dispersion- I had a really great dispersion rate with this driver. This might be the deciding factor that makes me ponder this club. It was so much more consistent than my R11 and this continued on when I was getting tired from hitting balls.

Ball flight- I really liked the ball flight of this club. I bounced back in forth between the 9.5 and 10.5. I was having a hard time with my spin thought. (I will get in to this more later) It had a great penetrating ball flight down the range.

On to the fitting. I became really confused during this fitting. I have been through a professional Taylormade fitting and had JB help me at the outing. I was really struggling with my back spin today.
- My launch angle was staying in between 10 and 14, so it was about right. That didn't seem to change much with a 9.5 or 10.5. At least not enough to make a huge difference.
- I could not seem to get my spin below 3000. We tried stiffer and heavier shafts. These just seemed to send it through the roof. I don't know what was going one. (I some what feel like there LM was messed up. It was a Callaway Tour Van, so I am not sure) I really became frustrated with this point. I had one guy helping me and he was using a cheat sheet. He just kept throwing different shafts in at random. Then the other guy came out to of the van. (I think he was the club builder). He actually recommended a Draw driver and wondered why I was hooking it. He then proceed to break my swing down. I wasn't really there for that, but just wanted the right shaft and head combo for my swing. It might not be perfect, but I feel like it is pretty decent. It is was perfect, I wouldn't be teaching, right. HAHA I never really came away with a combo from them. I finally gave up with them and moved to the side to do some assessment of my own, based on ball fight. I came away really liking the ball flight of the stiff RIP shaft with a 9.5* head. I would like to hit that combo on another LM someday to confirm. It felt like I had a nice straight shot that flew about 240-250 out. I am not sure about the spin on this combo, because I didn't want to get back on their LM.

All in all, I really like the feel and shots with this driver. I think I might try hitting with it again sometime. Maybe when I am up TCs way, his golf shot can try fitting me again. See if I come out with better results. It is definitely within my radar right now and I might OEM one down the road.

My guy is good dmb, and he knows what he's doing. I don't think he has a Callaway fitting cart but he has some Razr Hawks. He knows his stuff though. Sorry you had such a frustrating day buddy, but at least you got to hit the RH. Did you hit the Octane?

My guy is good dmb, and he knows what he's doing. I don't think he has a Callaway fitting cart but he has some Razr Hawks. He knows his stuff though. Sorry you had such a frustrating day buddy, but at least you got to hit the RH. Did you hit the Octane?

I didn't even try it. They said it was more of a spinney driver than the Hawk, so to not try it. Maybe I should have given it a go. I really liked the ball flight and shots of the Hawk. I just need some help getting the right shaft for it.

I didn't even try it. They said it was more of a spinney driver than the Hawk, so to not try it. Maybe I should have given it a go. I really liked the ball flight and shots of the Hawk. I just need some help getting the right shaft for it.

You can try my brothers in Georgia. He'll have a PX 6.0 Tour shaft in his. It's always the shaft dude. Why not put a Fubuki in a Razr Hawk?

You can try my brothers in Georgia. He'll have a PX 6.0 Tour shaft in his. It's always the shaft dude. Why not put a Fubuki in a Razr Hawk?

That sounds awesome! If I was fit to the Fubuki shaft in the 10.5 R11 head, would that work for the Hawk too?

That sounds awesome! If I was fit to the Fubuki shaft in the 10.5 R11 head, would that work for the Hawk too?

It would be where I would at least start.

It would be where I would at least start.

I need to find me a 10.5* head to start working with a I guess. This could get expensive. HAHA

Back