Callaway Releases Big Bertha B21 Driver

Forgive my ignorance James but, as a spin killer would you say it helps drop side spin as well as straight line spin?
Technically, there’s no such thing as side spin, it’s just the spin axis gets tilted. ;)

The design here was to create a head that produces less spin, but makes up forgiveness thanks to flash face, and they nailed it here. It’s not going to make people hit draws, or not hit fades, but it controls the spin in situations where it’s most created swing wise (across the ball, open face, OTT, etc.

I am finding it interesting that so many are concluding that the stock RCH shaft works best with this driver. I would say, “Kudos” to Callaway.

I think the RCH hits the curve very well for a lot of golfers. I might be in the minority though.

Technically, there’s no such thing as side spin, it’s just the spin axis gets tilted. ;)

The design here was to create a head that produces less spin, but makes up forgiveness thanks to flash face, and they nailed it here. It’s not going to make people hit draws, or not hit fades, but it controls the spin in situations where it’s most created swing wise (across the ball, open face, OTT, etc.

Thanks so much for that explanation in layman’s terms. @Turtlerancher asked the question that I was most interested in having answered. I’m OTT and lose distance on my drives because of side spin.

Thanks so much for that explanation in layman’s terms. @Turtlerancher asked the question that I was most interested in having answered. I’m OTT and lose distance on my drives because of side spin.
The distance gain from spin reduction is real. I’m never seen fades go as far as they have with this club. It’s real.

The distance gain from spin reduction is real. I’m never seen fades go as far as they have with this club. It’s real.

Thanks. Accuracy is not my issue. I tend to keep my drives in play with a controlled fade. However, high, short and right is common for me. I lose a lot of distance on my drives because of the spin.

@Jman
Do you think to get the full benefits out of this new driver it will need to be paired with the RCH shaft?

@Jman
Do you think to get the full benefits out of this new driver it will need to be paired with the RCH shaft?
I don’t know. Too early in my testing to tell to be honest.

That said, with who it’s aimed at, that segment I think wouldn’t find a hard time picking apart the RCH. The numbers seeing as a much stronger swinger show that. I think more need to give it a legitimate chance. I also believe what I’ve seen with the Riptide is what we have long said here at THP, just because a shaft works well for you in one or two heads doesn’t mean it will in any head.

side note/request: anyone know how I can go about getting the RCH 55 or 65 stiff shaft?

The shots that I have gotten away with this are borderline criminal.
NO driver will fix a swing. But it can make a swing more playable. The fact that this is a low forward CG and remains forgiving as sin is a game changer for a whole lot of people. I’ve been pretty critical of Callaway at times, but this one I’ve got no knocks. There is not, nor has there ever been a design like this, and you can print that.
This is a very strong statement.

My instructor has said I can’t get anything more out of a driver than what I get from my current setup without getting more SS. Still, I’m SO tempted by this driver’s offer of more forgiveness with a low spin head.

My instructor has said I can’t get anything more out of a driver than what I get from my current setup without getting more SS. Still, I’m SO tempted by this driver’s offer of more forgiveness with a low spin head.
There’s never been a driver like this before. Fact.

You guys aren't making not buying blind easy.

Just give it a shot. I scoffed at it when I first saw the reveal, but then started researching and it sounded more and more like it might be something that could help me. It’s not a panacea, but added distance from mitigation of spin is something I haven’t seen before or dreamed of.
If I can dial it in and just setup for this big baby fade bomb, golf could get really fun.

Last edited:
I’m playing in a pretty big money scramble tomorrow, will be playing this one, we will see how it responds when I start trying to really go after it.

I am wanting to really try this driver, seems like there have been a lot of positives so far and some good reviews.

side note/request: anyone know how I can go about getting the RCH 55 or 65 stiff shaft?
By a driver? 😂😂😂. JK. You might reach out to Callaway customer service.

I’m playing in a pretty big money scramble tomorrow, will be playing this one, we will see how it responds when I start trying to really go after it.
Go get ‘em.

Just played my first game with this driver and I would recommend it to everyone - at least worthy of testing if you want a new weapon. My miss with most drivers is to the right and I found this club sorted out that issue very well. Looked good to my eye - felt really solid - and ticked most boxes for me. Nobody really cares what I think, but I do play a lot of golf - I play pretty decent golf - and I've tried many drivers.

If you think this club sounds good for your game you're definitely not going to be disappointed with the purchase. It's a great driver that doesn't sacrifice distance for forgiveness at all. It also looks and feels fantastic.

Last edited:
I am wanting to really try this driver, seems like there have been a lot of positives so far and some good reviews.
What I’ve laughed at numerous times isn’t just the directional groupings I’m getting, but the fact that clearly bad swings by my standard, swipey ones or most notably heel strikes still get so much distance it’s borderline absurd.

It’s something I really want to dive into when I can sit down after today was tournament, misses that would with the Max spin upwards of 4,000, BAD misses, are now sticking in the 3,000 range for me. The MOST I’ve seen so far with the stock setup is 3500 RPM. All this means the distance you keep is very real, though I’ve hit 163 on this one ball speed wise so far, the overall DISTANCE average across a session is up because of the spin being mitigated. It’s mind bending.

Now, it won’t eliminate a sh***y swing, but it’ll make it more playable to a noticeable degree.

Also, it sounds better than the Mavrik line imo.

What I’ve laughed at numerous times isn’t just the directional groupings I’m getting, but the fact that clearly bad swings by my standard, swipey ones or most notably heel strikes still get so much distance it’s borderline absurd.

It’s something I really want to dive into when I can sit down after today was tournament, misses that would with the Max spin upwards of 4,000, BAD misses, are now sticking in the 3,000 range for me. The MOST I’ve seen so far with the stock setup is 3500 RPM. All this means the distance you keep is very real, though I’ve hit 163 on this one ball speed wise so far, the overall DISTANCE average across a session is up because of the spin being mitigated. It’s mind bending.

Now, it won’t eliminate a ****** swing, but it’ll make it more playable to a noticeable degree.

Also, it sounds better than the Mavrik line imo.
Those toe strikes go a long way as well, not that I know anything about that ;). I have hit some offline, but I have yet to hit one that didn't launch and get some distance.

Those toe strikes go a long way as well, not that I know anything about that ;). I have hit some offline, but I have yet to hit one that didn't launch and get some distance.
Yeah. What I like is I can still play my fade when I want to, it’s just a really small peeler now so I can actually play at angles I normally can’t on my courses. I’m always going to hit a fade off the tee, I’m too old for new tricks, and I’m smart enough to know this isn’t going to make my fade a draw, but it’ll tame it some more, and I dig that.

Back