Callaway Releases Big Bertha B21 Driver

Found this on the Callaway website.
66838D7A-B930-4063-8F56-FF0AB5D24D18.jpeg

It definitely spins less than the Max.
I don't have much more to say now, other than I really like the sound. But it is lower spinning than the Max.

It definitely spins less than the Max.
I don't have much more to say now, other than I really like the sound. But it is lower spinning than the Max.
Are your launch monitor results showing more of a draw bias than the Max?

I think you could probably say that about any piece of equipment in the bag. From ball to driver and everything in between. A swing change will result in a performance change.
You're right. And for the most part, my swing hasn't changed so I should embrace the new technology. Shame it's so pricey though. It looks promising

Are your launch monitor results showing more of a draw bias than the Max?

Right now the Sim is being used by electrician, so I just have GCQuad screen in front of me during the hitting.
Hard for me to gauge spin left due to what I am seeing in the handful of swings. Once I get a few more under my belt, I can offer some input.

it's all very subjective of course - so we all need to test. I like the design though and it's highly likely this driver will join the 28 others in my Golf Room.....

Colors look great. I'd give the 9* and 10.5* a shot with the RCH 55S and 65S for grins and giggles.

@Jman nice writeup. Interesting that Callaways is bringing their line of stock shafts back. Is this something we should expect from Callaway to do more in the future with other lines as well? I can see the benefits, and also the risks to the golfer for using such a shaft

Cally is not producing the shaft in house. Similar to how Ping does it with the Alta and Tour shafts Someone is making it for them.

it's all very subjective of course - so we all need to test. I like the design though and it's highly likely this driver will join the 28 others in my Golf Room.....
Oh, it will be tested. By THP’ers. Stay tuned.

I like the idea, but really dislike the horizontal length of the driver head. I personally think it would bother me at address, but will go hit some someplace anyway.

That is a good looking driver. As someone who fades the ball and pushes some way right this is intriguing. Looking forward to reading more about it.

Like many others here, I really like the idea of this and want to give it a try. I also have the concern about what happens on the occasional good strike.

My biggest problem with driver isn't a constant slice, it is the inconsistency. Most of the time that results in a slice, but perhaps 1/4 swings makes beautiful contact and I hit it straight as an arrow.

Would clubs like these work for somebody who is working on improving his swing, or are they more geared towards the golfer who has the slice, and has accepted it as part of their game?

If I hadn't been lucky enough to win the Cobra Xtreme, I would be all over this in a heartbeat and be testing it out as soon as I possibly can. I was fit into the Epic Flash Sub Zero to get the spin down, but still suffer a bit from the rights. If the new B21 would keep that low spin whilst taking just a bit of the right out of the equation then it could be just about the perfect driver for me.

Like many others here, I really like the idea of this and want to give it a try. I also have the concern about what happens on the occasional good strike.

My biggest problem with driver isn't a constant slice, it is the inconsistency. Most of the time that results in a slice, but perhaps 1/4 swings makes beautiful contact and I hit it straight as an arrow.

Would clubs like these work for somebody who is working on improving his swing, or are they more geared towards the golfer who has the slice, and has accepted it as part of their game?

Draw bias doesnt necessarily take a good strike and make it poor or hook. It allows the face to close, just like onset would do the same for the person struggling with a hook. They very well could work for you, but only one way to find out :)

If I hadn't been lucky enough to win the Cobra Xtreme, I would be all over this in a heartbeat and be testing it out as soon as I possibly can. I was fit into the Epic Flash Sub Zero to get the spin down, but still suffer a bit from the rights. If the new B21 would keep that low spin whilst taking just a bit of the right out of the equation then it could be just about the perfect driver for me.
Yeah, I’m definitely eager to see in person just how low, low, is when it comes to the spin. Lower than the Max is cool, but I want to see, and plan on testing, how much lower in the same setup for my swing.

I too have the Epic Flash Sub Zero, but my bad swing is a bit of a push/fade, so it would definitely be interesting to see how this compares
If it tamed the bad swings, but didn't move too far left on the good ones when I am swinging really well, I could be very tempted to give it a swing

I was thinking of this driver yesterday on the course. I've been working a little bit at hitting a straight to slight fade ball off the tee. During the first 5 holes, I hit 4 nearly perfect drives. They had the shape, I was happy with and distance was strong. Then all of sudden I got to a hole, necked it, and the ball became a big old push-slice. I hate to admit it, but that swing haunted me the rest of the day. I couldn't find that same feeling that I had earlier on the range or the previous holes. Everything with 2 exceptions was big misses to the right. It made for a miserable day off the tee. But seeing shot after shot missing to the right, I couldn't help but get this on my mind. Probably not a driver that I would normally gravitate to, but yesterday's experience put it in my headspace a bit more.

I was thinking of this driver yesterday on the course. I've been working a little bit at hitting a straight to slight fade ball off the tee. During the first 5 holes, I hit 4 nearly perfect drives. They had the shape, I was happy with and distance was strong. Then all of sudden I got to a hole, necked it, and the ball became a big old push-slice. I hate to admit it, but that swing haunted me the rest of the day. I couldn't find that same feeling that I had earlier on the range or the previous holes. Everything with 2 exceptions was big misses to the right. It made for a miserable day off the tee. But seeing shot after shot missing to the right, I couldn't help but get this on my mind. Probably not a driver that I would normally gravitate to, but yesterday's experience put it in my headspace a bit more.

I hate that miss as well and it is the one I fight more than any other. There is a limit to what a driver can actually do to mitigage a loss, but the way this one is being marketed makes me one to give it a go. Low spin, high launch, draw bias, and forgiving is interesting for sure.

It will be interesting to see some of the spin rates people report. I watched one of the YouTube reviewers, actually one of the few that I find to be useful, and the conclusion was lower spin for something that is intended primarily for higher index players, but still much higher spin than, say, the Sub Zero profile. I read or heard that Callaway tested this only with players whose indices were above 17.

I don’t know if the information is accurate. Even if it is, it certainly doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be a good fit for lower index players. However, I am really curious to see the spin relative to other offerings.

Last edited:
Looking forward to the testing on this one for sure! Will be interesting to see how it works for people with different swing types.

If this thing works, I may be able to go back to actually hitting driver instead of my 2i.

One of the first drivers on the market where I actually could see myself spending money these days (pending test results)

So I just spent a few minutes hitting this (sans sim) and they absolutely NAILED the sound in my opinion.
Best part, those that check out the THP Live Stream next week, we are going to give some away to Albatross Club members to test and review.

So I just spent a few minutes hitting this (sans sim) and they absolutely NAILED the sound in my opinion.
Best part, those that check out the THP Live Stream next week, we are going to give some away to Albatross Club members to test and review.

So, more mavrik sounding?

So, more mavrik sounding?

I think so. I am only hitting it indoors currently so hate to give an overall impression, but I definitely think its kind of like MAVRIK with a little more depth to it.

Back