Callaway Releases Big Bertha B21 Driver

Like you I swing hard and tend to miss right. This driver has been a revelation for me.

My miss is the same and my experience has been the same.

I really think I need to try this driver out.
If it can help me not miss right as badly but also keep the spin low, this could be a killer driver for me!

If it can help me not miss right as badly but also keep the spin low, this could be a killer driver for me!
try it, i dont believe its a cure all but it sure helps.

try it, i dont believe its a cure all but it sure helps.

Oh yeah I’m not looking for a cure all but if I can take a big swing and it stays straight, that could be the one to take the F9 out of the bag.

Would also encourage it. Especially with programs like Utry from Global Golf and other similar where you can use a club for two weeks for like $25 it's a no-brainer (assuming you can actually golf right now:LOL:)

I call this driver the former baseball players driver. Point again. I had a guy I fit for this driver. He had 115 club head speed. So pretty hard swinger. But he had one of the biggest slices you can find.

This paired up with right shaft brought is backspin from almost 6000 to hovering around 3200. Sure that is still high but it was a huge improvement. His dispersion tightened by over 30 yards and he gained almost 40 yards of distance over his previous driver.

YES!! his previous driver was old. It was a TM r7 driver so he was way over due. But it was also a reguler flex 10.5 head.. So it was a horrible horrible fit.

He walked away very very excited. That makes me very happy.. If I hear someone say, I am a former college baseball player. Without hearing anything else my first thought is " he hits a slice, but swings pretty hard"..

Glad to see guys still excited about this driver and getting along well with it. (y)

Does anybody in the know whether Callaway will be issuing a new line to replace the Mavrik? or is the B21 line their 2021 newbie?

I call this driver the former baseball players driver. Point again. I had a guy I fit for this driver. He had 115 club head speed. So pretty hard swinger. But he had one of the biggest slices you can find.

This paired up with right shaft brought is backspin from almost 6000 to hovering around 3200. Sure that is still high but it was a huge improvement. His dispersion tightened by over 30 yards and he gained almost 40 yards of distance over his previous driver.

YES!! his previous driver was old. It was a TM r7 driver so he was way over due. But it was also a reguler flex 10.5 head.. So it was a horrible horrible fit.

He walked away very very excited. That makes me very happy.. If I hear someone say, I am a former college baseball player. Without hearing anything else my first thought is " he hits a slice, but swings pretty hard"..
This has my ear. I never made it to the collegiate level, but I played VERY serious ball growing up. I've managed to tame the slice some, but I do think this will be the next driver I actually buy.

Does anybody in the know whether Callaway will be issuing a new line to replace the Mavrik? or is the B21 line their 2021 newbie?
Mav remains for 2021. But discounted. Epic Speed replaces the Epic Flash and B21 remains.
Callaway always has 3 lines.

flagship (Epic, GBB, etc)
B model (Mav, Rogue, xHot)
Super GI driver (optiforce, Bertha, fusion)

Hit the B21 tonight on the simulator. Great results! This is the best driver I have ever played based on distance and accuracy. As a chronic slicer of the ball, this driver has almost eliminated the right side of the fairway for me...which is amazing. I want to try to optimize my yardage with this driver. If I hit this club well, i’m getting about 275 yards. Average strikes are 250-260. Poor strikes are 230-240. I did shorten the driver an inch to help with accuracy and just being a little more comfortable over the ball.
38DCFE01-811B-4B0F-8FD6-BB6D14059897.jpeg3F0EDC67-2677-452B-BA89-C6092EF1333B.jpeg

Last edited:
I need to stop reading this thread. You guys are really selling me with this hype. Now it has been out a little while, How are the early adopters going with this driver now? How the love/shone worn off? Is it still the unicorn driver for you? Do you think the stock RCH can handle a higher swing speed player? If you have a high swing speed do you change the shaft out and how did it effect things? Christmas is soon and I should treat myself to a new toy. Lots of new drivers about to come out, wonder if its worth holding out for another two months and see what pops up.

I believe it's 5g.
It is 5g. @J.B. Cobb III I have a 44.5" shaft in mine and replaced that with a 12g.

I have played maybe 20-25 holes the last week and every day is basically the same. I hit this driver high and long. I get a ton of carry as well. One thing I think I could safely say is that I am sure I could hit another driver as far in total distance and possibly even further, but I doubt any other driver is going to carry much further than this one does for my swing. It is at a sweet spot of high launch and lowish spin where the ball just carries forever for me.

It is 5g. @J.B. Cobb III I have a 44.5" shaft in mine and replaced that with a 12g.

I have played maybe 20-25 holes the last week and every day is basically the same. I hit this driver high and long. I get a ton of carry as well. One thing I think I could safely say is that I am sure I could hit another driver as far in total distance and possibly even further, but I doubt any other driver is going to carry much further than this one does for my swing. It is at a sweet spot of high launch and lowish spin where the ball just carries forever for me.
The B21, just like the BB Fusion driver, is a carry distance beast once you find the right shaft. There’s some magic in this head shape.

The B21, just like the BB Fusion driver, is a carry distance beast once you find the right shaft. There’s some magic in this head shape.
love the head shape and the carry is great! so thrilled i was lucky enough to be a participant in the testing. B21 in 2021 for sure!

Has anyone hit both the B21 and Mizuno’s ST200? They both seem to have relatively low spin and offer forgiveness. Thoughts?

Has anyone hit both the B21 and Mizuno’s ST200? They both seem to have relatively low spin and offer forgiveness. Thoughts?
Really really different drivers. ST200 is going to be a more traditional model. This is going to be a bit more draw biased through weighting. The face is completely different as well.

So partly out of desperation but mainly to try and find any sort of serviceable driver swing, I told myself to relax and swing 50% with the B21. Low and behold I started finding the center and plunking some great playable drives right where I was aiming.

I sure hope I can repeat this and take it into on course action.

Really really different drivers. ST200 is going to be a more traditional model. This is going to be a bit more draw biased through weighting. The face is completely different as well.
I realized the look is way different and you make a good point about the draw bias, hadn’t thought about that. Curious to what you mean about the face being different? The feel?

Last edited:
I realized the look is way different and you make a good point about the draw bias, hadn’t thought about that. Curious to what you mean about the face being different? The feel?
Both the feel and the design. Flash Face has a catchy marketing name, but it’s quite different.

They are utilizing their A.I. for their Flash Face designs. Each design is unique for that head design and loft I believe.

So the Epic Flash face is different than the Mavrik face and that’s even the case within the model ranges. Mav Sub Zero has a different face compared to the Max. So the BB21 face has also been altered once again.

I do have a lot of question to ask the R&D guys still about their A.I. though.

Add former college hockey players too to this list.:)

Add former college hockey players too to this list.:)

Ha! Well where I live the hockey player is a very rare bird.. but very good to know.

I need to stop reading this thread. You guys are really selling me with this hype. Now it has been out a little while, How are the early adopters going with this driver now? How the love/shone worn off? Is it still the unicorn driver for you? Do you think the stock RCH can handle a higher swing speed player? If you have a high swing speed do you change the shaft out and how did it effect things? Christmas is soon and I should treat myself to a new toy. Lots of new drivers about to come out, wonder if its worth holding out for another two months and see what pops up.
I can't say much about recent results as I haven't been able to hit this since I got back from Florida in early November where the result were astounding for me. I have the stock RCH shaft in stiff, and a swing speed that hangs out in the 120 region, and it holds up pretty well. I also have a UST Mamiya LINQ Gunmetal x-stiff shaft that I'm going to put a Callaway adapter on to test out against the RCH shaft. I can provide feedback but that's still a ways away from actually happening.

That being said, especially with so much new equipment coming, it might be worth waiting so you can test out the B21 against other drivers to find the one that works for you. However, if your miss is a slice/fade, you would definitely want to make sure this is given a hard look.

Back