Callaway Releases Big Bertha B21 Driver

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Just when you thought that with the Mavrik lineup and its three unique driver profiles Callaway might have totally nailed down the breadth of options for golfers, they hit you with something you never saw coming. 

The return of the Big Bertha in the form of the B21 driver isn’t what is surprising, what is surprising however, is what is going on internally here. This is one that Callaway believes is totally unique to the market design-wise with its ability to mix a forgiving design with a low and forward CG. Yes, you read that right.  

1-6.jpg

This article is going to focus on the release of the B21 driver, however for the first time in a long while Callaway is bringing a complete Big Bertha lineup to market, and there will be a subsequent...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the 'huh' face.

Interesting concepts and application of tech. I can think of a couple friends who might fill into it well.

Nice write up, @Jman .

I quite like the shape of this driver! And again, nice colour selection.

Interesting to see the made for shafts...

Great write up @Jman!

Great read Jman

Color me intrigued for sure. As a golfer that has fought against a wicked slice with the driver for decades I can definitely appreciate these design components. I used to wonder if there ever would be tech available to provide enough forgiveness to "correct" massive swing faults.
I've spent a great deal of time and sought instruction trying to correct many of the swing faults you describe in this article. The high spin, steep angle, and open face at impact were at the top of the list to get rid of. I feel like I've come a long way (I won't say my swing is corrected because when I get lazy or lose focus the swing faults creep back in) and have started seeing very positive results with my Speedzone Xtreme driver coupled with the LINQ Gunmetal shaft. I can't help but wonder, though, what this new driver tech would feel like and produce with my improved swing.

Thanks for the insight and I look forward to Callaway's new Big Bertha B21 with a fair amount of anticipation!

Can't wait to give it a try. My driver swing has improved a lot, but still say probably 2/3 are slicers to varying degrees. Enough to mean I don't have confidence as I step up to the tee and prefer my 3 wood that flies straight as an arrow, albeit not as far.

Great write up @Jman!

Odd timing for them to release a new Driver. This kind of seems like the Steelhead release 3 or 4 years ago. A smaller release for a distinct subset of golfers.

Hmm .... so a Fusion married a SLDR and had a love child. This will be interesting.
Where’s the 14* and 16* driver options ???
#Loftup

5DF7D41E-4A33-4A6B-A96C-41D6832D4D24.jpeg

A5CF4217-DD59-4118-8639-D24B2DA75467.jpeg

04293D9A-3986-4C03-9C70-8B7E01D9D460.jpeg43E2C79A-C04B-4841-A2DF-E2F71871DEC1.jpeg

Last edited:
The driver looks good. The low/forward CG plus the GI focus is a cool combo, and I think it will help a lot of players.

Interesting to see the return to "Callaway" branded shaft options. Like back in the day, or Ping still does today.

Great write up @Jman!! I really am intrigued by this driver. I like the looks of it and certainly there is a lot of tech in there. I was hoping for a lower price point on it, but we are definitely in the days of the $500 drivers.

Have to admit, I wasn’t too interested in the product, but after reading I’m very open to the product.
This part here particularly got me:

The B21 driver is not going to be a driver that the golfer seeking the lowest spinning option from Callaway runs out and grabs. The reality is it won’t be as low spin as a Sub-Zero, nor should it be, but it will offer lower spin potential than other designs while still having draw bias, a middle-ground so-to-speak. While some will be curious of the comparisons to the Mavrik Max, this has potentially lower spin while having increased draw bias and both drivers can easily coexist in the market.

Thanks for the detailed write up. As someone who haa trouble managing spin (I don’t really need the draw bias though), something like a 10.5 opened up could be really good for me.

Looks good. Big promises with the tech.

Great write up @Jman i look forward to the reviews on this one. I like the look and shape. Looks somewhat similar to a Fusion that I have.

shape looks really good to me. i know it’s draw biased, but it seems to sit pretty closed. i like the addition to the lineup.

I know I wouldn't be a fit for this driver, but the tech aspect on this one is really freakin cool. Great writeup James, lookin forward to hearing how it performed for you in the next couple weeks.

This is the perfect 2020 release....low forward cg but in a design that is draw biased, with tech that mitigates slices in a high MOI head. Not exactly the marriage you think of when you hear low forward cg.

Great write up @Jman!

Odd timing for them to release a new Driver. This kind of seems like the Steelhead release 3 or 4 years ago. A smaller release for a distinct subset of golfers.
Not really though. It’s fall release time and they always drop something.

Bigger story here is that Bertha as a line is going back where it should be imo, a high tech line focused on a specific (and larger than the internet will admit) segment of golfers with a specific need. I dig that decision.

Last edited:
Oh and for nostalgia reasons I think it's awesome they brought back the RCS.

I think this will do pretty well - the Big Bertha name/nostalgia, cool tech story, beautiful color scheme. It will probably look stunning and easy to hit when sitting on the rack. I see a lot of folks giving it a good test run in the bays at the stores for those reasons alone.

This is the perfect 2020 release....low forward cg but in a design that is draw biased, with tech that mitigates slices in a high MOI head. Not exactly the marriage you think of when you hear low forward cg.
Not at all, but might solidify what Flash Face through AI can truly do.

Not at all, but might solidify what Flash Face through AI can truly do.

Exactly. It's kind of intriguing to be honest.

I'd love to see, and Im sure we will, a cutout of this head with what that AI face looks like. Story wise, it sounds like it should look a bit different than the other drivers that have had it.

shape looks really good to me. i know it’s draw biased, but it seems to sit pretty closed. i like the addition to the lineup.
The transition from hosel to head is something they worked in hard to get right for golfers who battle the faults mentioned in the article. It’s not a look for everyone, but it’s also not at a drastic as with the offset fairways and hybrids.

Hmm .... so a Fusion married a SLDR and had a love child. This will be interesting.
Where’s the 14* and 16* driver options ???
#Loftup
Based on the internals design, there’s no need to loft up like with a standard low forward design, this is an all new recipe, and launch is part of the equation.

Back