Callaway Releases Big Bertha B21 Driver

The color scheme is a win. Would love to see a head to head with the Mavrik and Mavrik Max.

This is truly a design I didn’t see coming. Very interesting. It has a target market that should benefit!

The color scheme is a win. Would love to see a head to head with the Mavrik and Mavrik Max.
Good thing I held onto my Max head (y)

Got ya covered when the time comes buddy!

I will save a lot of the feedback from those that test it and @Jman but can add a little bit here.

First off, the look in hand is REALLY good. Elongated in shape, which is explained really well in the article on home page, the blue hits a home run in its subtleness, but still being present.

The sound is fantastic in my opinion. Has that forward CG sound that is sharp without being metallic.

I have hit only a dozen balls with it so far, but its long. For a steeper player like me, its really long. Killing spin, without a loss of forgiveness is a bit of a unicorn, so if they found a way to nail it, which tech wise, they did, I will be super impressed. More time necessary, and @Jman will be joining me (and others) to find out.

Had the RCH shaft on a big Bertha in the early 2000s. Brings back memories. Solid looking driver, going to give that one a try for sure.

Also, how about a 10g crown :oops:

This may be a good fit with my current 3W. I like the sound of everything they’re trying to do with this driver.
AA444A1B-2645-4CE5-B20F-A0204DAAA6C7.jpeg

This driver/line release is both timely and impressive for the catagory.

427A6E9D-446C-4F70-95EA-245A1D91C3A2.jpeg

that headcover looks awesome

If I were to ever utilize the Custom shop, these are the colors I would go with. Nailed it.

Love the look, love the deep face, love the name.

Very interested to see the numbers on this compared to Mav Max. If the spin on the B21 is materially lower then I might have to consider a move from Mav Max over to this one.

Great review! Nice looking head. I like the color combination. Not too retro... not too new. I think the shaft needs a touch of color. Aside from the face and sole, it doesn't match the rest of the head... but that's just my opinion.

Like the others, I'm interested in seeing direct comparisons between the B21 and Mavrik and Mavrik Max... heck, throw some Titleist, Ping, Cobra, and Tour Edge drivers in too. I think that would be awesome to see how it stacks up against the others. Even better if it could be a comparison between other draw biased drivers.

So it's a draw biased driver to help prevent slices? Is this any better in its execution that some other clubs that also purported to have a draw bias that was supposed to help reduce slicing but didn't?

I really like the idea of created a driver for high handicap players, however, I am skeptical that companies can create one better then those on the market already. I absolutely love my Mavrik Max and how it hits on impact. The sound, adjustability with weights, and everything. I know it was touched on in the article about comparing these, so it will be interesting if there is a real opportunity to have both in the market at a similar price point.

While I really like the looks of the irons and hybrids, I am not keen on the driver based off of pictures only. I don’t see any adjustability in weighting (I know this is a one size fits all with slicing and lower spin). I also don’t think the bottom looks as premium as the Mavrik. So, back to the price point with this club.

In the end it’s all about how well the driver works for higher handicap players. Hence, my love for the Mavrik Max right now. If I hit longer and straighter then I love it. Would like to see the reviews on this once it’s available.

Great information James.. There's a lot going on in the head. I'll add it to the list to try for sure!

I remember RCH shafts from the past. Had no idea what they were back then so thats some pretty cool little knowledge there. I think the return of the BB line is a good one for Callaway. This will likely do well.

Great review! Nice looking head. I like the color combination. Not too retro... not too new. I think the shaft needs a touch of color. Aside from the face and sole, it doesn't match the rest of the head... but that's just my opinion.

Like the others, I'm interested in seeing direct comparisons between the B21 and Mavrik and Mavrik Max... heck, throw some Titleist, Ping, Cobra, and Tour Edge drivers in too. I think that would be awesome to see how it stacks up against the others. Even better if it could be a comparison between other draw biased drivers.

So it's a draw biased driver to help prevent slices? Is this any better in its execution that some other clubs that also purported to have a draw bias that was supposed to help reduce slicing but didn't?
There has truly never been a draw biased design like this, EVER. Draw biased with MOI and low forward CG is a unicorn all made possible by AI.

Also remember, no club will fix an unfixable swing, it can only help mitigate the miss to some extent.

Also remember, no club will fix an indictable swing, it can only help mitigate the miss to some extent.
I'll take what I can get nowadays.

Not really though. It’s fall release time and they always drop something.

Bugger story here is that Bertha as a line is going back where it should be imo, a high tech line focused on a specific (and larger than the internet will admit) segment of golfers with a specific need. I dig that decision.
Me too, I love the release. I wonder if they don't try to do more of this. They basically released 3 really different heads this spring. The only thing in common was the paint scheme and Mavrik name. Maybe it's easier to have different names on their different markets products? I always just wonder about the marketing decisions.

Me too, I love the release. I wonder if they don't try to do more of this. They basically released 3 really different heads this spring. The only thing in common was the paint scheme and Mavrik name. Maybe it's easier to have different names on their different markets products? I always just wonder about the marketing decisions.
Mavrik has its segment though, all three heads, and this one has a totally different segment. All about rounding out that lineup, ya know?

I really like the idea of created a driver for high handicap players, however, I am skeptical that companies can create one better then those on the market already. I absolutely love my Mavrik Max and how it hits on impact. The sound, adjustability with weights, and everything. I know it was touched on in the article about comparing these, so it will be interesting if there is a real opportunity to have both in the market at a similar price point.

While I really like the looks of the irons and hybrids, I am not keen on the driver based off of pictures only. I don’t see any adjustability in weighting (I know this is a one size fits all with slicing and lower spin). I also don’t think the bottom looks as premium as the Mavrik. So, back to the price point with this club.

In the end it’s all about how well the driver works for higher handicap players. Hence, my love for the Mavrik Max right now. If I hit longer and straighter then I love it. Would like to see the reviews on this once it’s available.

Question for you. When they released the Max, were you skeptical? Did it perform better than what you had previously?
I think the same can be said here. While I will never say a product is better, I do think this is pretty darn different than the Max.

Question for you. When they released the Max, were you skeptical? Did it perform better than what you had previously?
I think the same can be said here. While I will never say a product is better, I do think this is pretty darn different than the Max.
The internal tech here is SO different, it’s something never done before.

Its a good question, although I think that would be a tough one from a messaging stand point.
To use a parallel since you are a Titleist guy, T100 and T400 are VERY different than the other heads. Even released at different times. I think it would have been tough to add new names.

Back