Callaway Releases Big Bertha B21 Driver

There has truly never been a draw biased design like this, EVER. Draw biased with MOI and low forward CG is a unicorn all made possible by AI.

Also remember, no club will fix an unfixable swing, it can only help mitigate the miss to some extent.
So what happens when/if the swing flaw gets "fixed" enough to lessen or eliminate the slice? Does the draw bias then turn into a hook?

I ask because that's what's prevented me from even looking at draw biased clubs in the past...

Based on the internals design, there’s no need to loft up like with a standard low forward design, this is an all new recipe, and launch is part of the equation.
Was the loft up with the SLDR because it was high/Fwd weight ?

If my thinking is right this puts the Bertha in a similar class as the XR16 Sub Zero, PXG 0811 X Gen 2 and TM M1 2016 (with weight set in the fwd position). But perhaps in a higher moi chassis.

So what happens when/if the swing flaw gets "fixed" enough to lessen or eliminate the slice? Does the draw bias then turn into a hook?

I ask because that's what's prevented me from even looking at draw biased clubs in the past...
I plan on telling you the answer to that during forum testing (y)

If my thinking is right this puts the Bertha in a similar class as the XR16 Sub Zero, PXG 0811 X Gen 2 and TM M1 2016 (with weight set in the fwd position). But perhaps in a higher moi chassis.
SLDR was forward CG In a compact shape with a super deep face, the recipe for low spin with high ball speed potential and no forgiveness or added launch. This, sits different that that I’m SO many ways with launch being a priority for the B21 design while still dropping spin.

Also, imo, this is nothing like any of those heads. I mean it when I say we have never seen anything like this before for this segment.

Also, imo, this is nothing like any of those heads. I mean it when I say we have never seen anything like this before for this segment.

Gotcha. I was just going by the cg charts floating around. Those were the most fwd and low heads in the past 4-5 years.

Obviously Callaway knows more than I do about where to fit product into the marketplace but this one has me confused. Low and forward sounds counterintuitive but the AI face designs have shown they can push the CG limits.

I’ll definitely give this one a try out of pure curiosity.

Gotcha. I was just going by the cg charts floating around. Those were the most fwd and low heads in the past 4-5 years.
That’s but one aspect in this one, that’s something to keep in mind, the AI has potentially revolutionized the chance for combos of CG, moi, and spin we haven’t seen before.

What's interesting about those CG charts "floating around" is that they were done by a single company, and then used by some "media" externally. That doesn't mean they are not correct, but to put that out as if said media measured and confirmed or without saying where it came from is absolutely awful in terms of sharing news. Par for the course sadly. Really no different than putting out a distance chart by a company that says their driver is longest and not doing any testing to confirm.

Obviously Callaway knows more than I do about where to fit product into the marketplace but this one has me confused. Low and forward sounds counterintuitive but the AI face designs have shown they can push the CG limits.

I’ll definitely give this one a try out of pure curiosity.
It’s definitely new, it’s why I worked hard to explain that concept in the article (y)

What's interesting about those CG charts "floating around" is that they were done by a single company, and then used by some "media" externally. That doesn't mean they are not correct, but to put that out as if said media measured and confirmed or without saying where it came from is absolutely awful in terms of sharing news. Par for the course sadly.

Thought that was the case early on but doing their own measurements in the last couple of years, no ??

Thought that was the case early on but doing their own measurements in the last couple of years, no ??

I dont think its fair for me to discuss someone elses work, other than to say that the CG charts you are referring to are from an OEM still.

I’m worried about Callaway and that they may be losing their way after the five year war.

In theory this driver sounds like it will help the masses - the masses generally don’t like to spend the $500 on a driver and I worry that some people will look at the shape like the FT-IZ and Fusion and immediately discard it.

I hope Callaway knows what they are doing and can market it correctly.

I’m worried about Callaway and that they may be losing their way after the five year war.

In theory this driver sounds like it will help the masses - the masses generally don’t like to spend the $500 on a driver and I worry that some people will look at the shape like the FT-IZ and Fusion and immediately discard it.

I hope Callaway knows what they are doing and can market it correctly.

I dont think there is a person in golf, outside of Bob Parsons that wouldnt like the equipment to be less expensive.
Although the masses have responded a bit and the top selling drivers in the golf are all $500 or more. So I am genuinely not sure.

Don’t love the diamond shape but I also know the slice killer is something majority of golfers need.. I do love the release timing since no one else is releasing equipment right now though.

I am a big fan of the color scheme and headcovers!

The blue captivates me. There is lots to like with this new release. Thanks for taking the time to review and present a detailed, informative write up.

I dont think there is a person in golf, outside of Bob Parsons that wouldnt like the equipment to be less expensive.
Although the masses have responded a bit and the top selling drivers in the golf are all $500 or more. So I am genuinely not sure.

I agree with what you are saying about the top selling drivers. One could argue that this driver seems to be marketed towards the higher handicap player who may play less often. I could 100% be wrong in my assessment but when I read the F&B of the driver and then saw the price tag I thought that they may have missed the mark. I fear that this line may go the way of the V Series driver or the Steelhead XR Fwy Woods - Forgotten.
As I said - I hope I am wrong for Callaways sake

I was pretty blown away at the genius of this line. It is really good and really smart. Will be interesting to see how well it does and if it continues. I honestly think these will be a big hit. The industry needs/needed a top shelf offering in this category of clubs.

I dont really battle the slice as much, so will be curious how this is impacted in @Jman review. awesome design that will appeal to the masses. Steep in price but i know hte drivers that fixed shapes that people battle with are deemed to be worth it. They can go around and hack it out. I know SLDR, R15s, Big Bertha, M4s all flew off the shop shelves because the improved shot shapes.

I was pretty blown away at the genius of this line. It is really good and really smart. Will be interesting to see how well it does and if it continues. I honestly think these will be a big hit. The industry needs/needed a top shelf offering in this category of clubs.
Yeah, I’m most curious to see how many will give it a shot, I think by now Callaway has solidified themselves as one people will grab, but this being outside the box, we shall see.

That is a great question.

I think you could probably say that about any piece of equipment in the bag. From ball to driver and everything in between. A swing change will result in a performance change.

Yeah, I’m most curious to see how many will give it a shot, I think by now Callaway has solidified themselves as one people will grab, but this being outside the box, we shall see.

There are SOOOO many golfers that need this profile. Even guys that have good speed that just cannot get out of the right rough.. Before an offset driver were generally low end. The only decent one coming to mind being the Cobra Fmax driver. As explained those all spin like crazy so it is a poor fit for many.

Last edited:
There are SOOOO many golfers that need this profile. Even guys that have good speed that just cannot get out of the right rough.. Before an offset driver were generally low end. The only decent one coming to mind being the Cobra Fmax driver. As explained those all spin line crazy so it is a poor fit for many.
Precisely, the Fmax is a great example of helping eliminate that miss, but having to sacrifice adding spin to do so. This could be a game changer for this segment. It truly could.

Back