Callaway Releases Big Bertha B21 Driver

I’m excited to give it a work out, the Mav and Mav Max just didn’t mesh totally with me despite a ton of effort, the story here though makes me think this one might blow my mind.

I am really looking forward to your thoughts and results. I think this is an unique release.

I guess the big risk would be can the stock shafts made by a company that isn't a traditional shaft manufacturer stand up from innovation that manufacturers that specialize in shaft design can?

I don't have an answer to that - I do think that being able to custom match a shaft to a club would be far superior in performance and then Callaway can do finely tune the specifications to the club needs. It's an interesting series of things to consider for customers. Can't wait to see how they stack up
I have a question, who do you think makes those shafts for the OEM's? I would think the difference is the OEM gives the shaft manufacturer the profile they want for "their" shaft. Once they have the matching profile then it is just graphics. I am sure there is a cost savings as well. Just my two cents.

I have a question, who do you think makes those shafts for the OEM's? I would think the difference is the OEM gives the shaft manufacturer the profile they want for "their" shaft. Once they have the matching profile then it is just graphics. I am sure there is a cost savings as well. Just my two cents.

I interpreted it from this bit in the write up:

In the 1990’s to the early 2000’s Callaway did a lot of in-house shaft R&D, and I mean a lot. The goal was creating the perfect shafts to compliment exactly what they wanted in their club designs, and while present day companies work with shaft manufacturers to either find a good fit from their catalogues or maybe make some tweaks here and there, the RCH was created by and for Callaway clubs.

I interpreted it from this bit in the write up:

In the 1990’s to the early 2000’s Callaway did a lot of in-house shaft R&D, and I mean a lot. The goal was creating the perfect shafts to compliment exactly what they wanted in their club designs, and while present day companies work with shaft manufacturers to either find a good fit from their catalogues or maybe make some tweaks here and there, the RCH was created by and for Callaway clubs.
Yes, the design was created by and for Callaway clubs. That doesn’t mean they started manufacturing the shafts. The story of the RCH is the design, they’re more than capable of doing shaft R&D in house though.

Yes, the design was created by and for Callaway clubs. That doesn’t mean they started manufacturing the shafts. The story of the RCH is the design, they’re more than capable of doing shaft R&D in house though.

ah, thanks @Jman for the clarification. It certainly gives a lot less cause for concern that I had if they are working with a shaft maker to make custom shafts for their clubs

Anyone know who manufactured the RCH shaft this time around ? They seem to partner a lot with True Temper/Project X.

Anyone know who manufactured the RCH shaft this time around ? They seem to partner a lot with True Temper/Project X.
Nope, but I’m one who thinks it doesn’t really matter. The design is theirs, and in this story that is what counts most.

Unpopular Opinion: Can't remember when I've been less interested in a Callaway driver release.
I don’t think it’s an unpopular opinion, I think this is a product aimed at a specific segment, and as such it’s not going to appeal to everyone. That’s why they have the Mavrik line.

Unpopular Opinion: Can't remember when I've been less interested in a Callaway driver release.
Any particular reason for the non-interest? Just curious...

Nope, but I’m one who thinks it doesn’t really matter. The design is theirs, and in this story that is what counts most.

Agree there on the story. Personally, Guess I was just curious as certain shaft oem’s I never seem to get along with any of their offerings. For example Aldila. To me their shafts always firmer than stated flex. Their Xtorsion for example in R felt firmer than any S flex I’ve ever tried. It was supposed to be high launching and was opposite For me.

Interesting. The combo of low forward CG and high forgiveness is extremely intriguing to me.

The Mavrik just wasn’t for me. I am very interested in this one. I was fitted into a head I never expected and which has less forgiveness. The idea I might get the lower spin the fitter sought for me in a more forgiving head is really interesting. I often have trouble getting the face closed so the draw bias could work wonders too. Plus I like the color combo.

Last edited:
Question: did Callaway use AI to design the shaft also?

Really interested to see if this driver will help my fade, but what concerns me is, from what I have read, this is a high launching driver. Well... I hit everything high, always have no matter what the loft is. So is this driver for me with the high launch...it certainly would be for my fade....any thoughts, suggestions?

Really interested to see if this driver will help my fade, but what concerns me is, from what I have read, this is a high launching driver. Well... I hit everything high, always have no matter what the loft is. So is this driver for me with the high launch...it certainly would be for my fade....any thoughts, suggestions?
sadly there is only one way to know the answer to something like that, and it’s to find it and give it a go somewhere. Not the fun answer, I know, but the truth, especially with a brand new release that’s not going to have a very big sample that have hit it.

Some fun is coming soon though ;)

Question: did Callaway use AI to design the shaft also?
Was not part of the story they told, this was much more make the shaft that compliments the AI utilized in the head design. Not sure that an AI impact program would help there though, no?

This lineup is a complete miss for me. Not saying it won't be good for it's intended audience, but I couldn't be further to the other end of the spectrum.

This lineup is a complete miss for me. Not saying it won't be good for it's intended audience, but I couldn't be further to the other end of the spectrum.
It’ll be fun to see how it goes with the spectrum out there.

I’m pretty excited to put a higher swing speed on it and see what it does to my natural fade. I’ve seen one vid out there, but was disappointed in the setup at which it was tested for the SS of player swinging it, I don’t think it gave the B21 and the tech internal in regards to spin a fair chance.

It’ll be fun to see how it goes with the spectrum out there.

I’m pretty excited to put a higher swing speed on it and see what it does to my natural fade. I’ve seen one vid out there, but was disappointed in the setup at which it was tested for the SS of player swinging it, I don’t think it gave the B21 and the tech internal in regards to spin a fair chance.
I'll be curious to see how it works for it's intended purpose. If your power fade turns into a lower spin draw, that could produce some bombs.

I'll be curious to see how it works for it's intended purpose. If your power fade turns into a lower spin draw, that could produce some bombs.
Im already a 2100-2200 guy with my gamer so if it gets much lower :ROFLMAO:

Im already a 2100-2200 guy with my gamer so if it gets much lower
Your gamer is pretty low spin so I guess we'll see exactly how low spin this lineup is. Could be perfect, could be 1700 spin knuckle balls dropping from the sky

Your gamer is pretty low spin so I guess we'll see exactly how low spin this lineup is. Could be perfect, could be 1700 spin knuckle balls dropping from the sky
In my opinion the goal isn’t to produce the lowest spin driver. The goal is to create a driver that is low spin, and helps golfers, especially those that are steep and/or over the top.

It won’t be for everybody, but for a large amount of golfers, it could help them enjoy the game a bit more.

In my opinion the goal isn’t to produce the lowest spin driver. The goal is to create a driver that is low spin, and helps golfers, especially those that are steep and/or over the top.

It won’t be for everybody, but for a large amount of golfers, it could help them enjoy the game a bit more.
That's exactly the impression I got from the article. I'm more curious how low spin it could be for people that aren't steep. I know it won't be Sub-Zero levels, but for me that is too low spin anyway.

Was not part of the story they told, this was much more make the shaft that compliments the AI utilized in the head design. Not sure that an AI impact program would help there though, no?
It may be a bit of a novel idea. But I kind of thought why not? If the computer lets you learn faster couldn't you fine tune and get the absolute perfect shaft design for the head at the same time the head is being refined by AI. It is probably cost prohibitive though.

Back